RDS bar prices

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Re: RDS bar prices

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Cianostays wrote:
honeyec wrote:Yes, God forbid someone should want to make the match experience an entire day out and have a few drinks as part of that; with the liklelihood of getting to their seats three minutes late and wanting to get a jump on the queue by leaving their seat three minutes before half time. Far better that we all get strapped into our seats, rollercoaster-style, for the duration of the match, and anyone who needs to move for whatever reason during play be forcibly catapulted from their seat and out of the stadium altogether. That'll learn 'em...
My folks have an issue with people who do this but what really irks them is that the people who are beside them, fellow season ticket holders, appear to have no real interest in watching the match :shock:

They arrive late, leave for the bar before HT, arrive late for the 2nd half and leave before FT. Utterly bizzare.

In all honesty it does irk me a bit when people disturb me watching the game because they want to get a drink. Why can't they wait til the HT break? Why should other fans have to be disturbed from watching the match (albeit for a pretty minute amount of time) so someone else can get to the bar early?

I love having a few pints on matchdays but generally have them before and or after the game.

BTW catapult seems complicated and not very cost effective. A simple trap door system shall suffice :wink:
Nothing bizzare at all about it. Similar behaviour in any public bar. Some folks stand around jabbering, some silent, some block walkways some don't,some stand some sit. Folks to'ing and fro'ing all the time.

What amazes me is people are surprised and bothered by this. It is a minor distraction at worst and with so many breaks in play in Rugby it is bound to continue.
3 Gold Stars
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

You don't think it's bit bizzare to shell out for a season ticket in the Anglesea stand when you appear to have minimal interest in the game? Fair Enough.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Cianostays wrote:You don't think it's bit bizzare to shell out for a season ticket in the Anglesea stand when you appear to have minimal interest in the game? Fair Enough.
No, not at all. Not everyone has the same level of interest in the match as you and I. Different strokes for different folks. Some people get bent out of shape at certain times throughout a match, like myself. Others casually look on without so much as a whimper from them.

That is their right. They pays their money..they can do what they like as long as they don't start to harangue me or others for being boisterous around them I don't see the problem.
3 Gold Stars
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Well to me it is bizarre to shell out 500 quid not to watch what you paid for...
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

AdamK wrote:Well to me it is bizarre to shell out 500 quid not to watch what you paid for...
But maybe they really did enjoy themselves.
Watch a bit of rugger, swig on a pint of lager, watch a bit more rugger, finish the pint, bladder bursting, go for a slash, 36 mins on the clock, may as well go down and get a kebab and another pint, have another slash while gripping plastic pint with your teeth, miss the first 3 mins of 2nd half, swig back the pint, watch some more rugger, bladder bursting again, go for another slash, series of scrums so time to get another pint in while the bars are almost empty, back in the seat to watch the last 10 mins, if you miss anything you can get it all on the RTE player anyway.

People enjoy the game in different ways, isn't it great!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Dunno, the two sth's beside me don't drink and rarely come back to their seats after half time....
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

AdamK wrote:Dunno, the two sth's beside me don't drink and rarely come back to their seats after half time....
Maybe you scare them off :wink:
3 Gold Stars
Sarphil
Enlightened

Post by Sarphil »

honeyec wrote:Yes, God forbid someone should want to make the match experience an entire day out and have a few drinks as part of that; with the liklelihood of getting to their seats three minutes late and wanting to get a jump on the queue by leaving their seat three minutes before half time. Far better that we all get strapped into our seats, rollercoaster-style, for the duration of the match, and anyone who needs to move for whatever reason during play be forcibly catapulted from their seat and out of the stadium altogether. That'll learn 'em...
How did what I said give rise to that ^^^^^???
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
Sarphil
Enlightened

Post by Sarphil »

Cianostays wrote:
My folks have an issue with people who do this but what really irks them is that the people who are beside them, fellow season ticket holders, appear to have no real interest in watching the match :shock:

They arrive late, leave for the bar before HT, arrive late for the 2nd half and leave before FT. Utterly bizzare.
In all honesty it does irk me a bit when people disturb me watching the game because they want to get a drink. Why can't they wait til the HT break? Why should other fans have to be disturbed from watching the match (albeit for a pretty minute amount of time) so someone else can get to the bar early?

I love having a few pints on matchdays but generally have them before and or after the game.

BTW catapult seems complicated and not very cost effective. A simple trap door system shall suffice :wink:
That's what I'm talking about...
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
AdamK wrote:Dunno, the two sth's beside me don't drink and rarely come back to their seats after half time....
Maybe you scare them off :wink:
Ha, maybe I did. All that chanting and shouting support, probably too loud. :lol:
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

Everyone to their own - generally.

I like the Ice Hockey rule where the game stewards wont allow anyone back to their seat while the ball is in play.
There are plenty of occasions in rugby that someone could leave and return without interfering too much with fellow spectators.

Generally people are aware of this and are good about it.

I really worry about some people on here that get all hot and bothered that someone they dont know are missing some of the action by arriving late or leaving early.
The French are predictably unpredictable
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Would it not make sense to pitch the cost of a drink in the RDS at about 50c cheaper than that of the local bars? The RDS bars do a mere trickle of business when the gates open and are chocabloc near game time. Id say a lot of punters would decide to go to the ground earlier if they were saving money in the process. An early bird promotion too would get them in early and spending there rather than elsewhere.
BTW do Leinster make any money from the bar/food outlets on matchday?
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

blockhead wrote:BTW do Leinster make any money from the bar/food outlets on matchday?
Not AFAIK, we are just tenants of the RDS - they take a clip of the ticket from everything sold at the various food and drink concessions.

Just another downside of us not having our own stadium :(
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

sheepshagger wrote:
blockhead wrote:BTW do Leinster make any money from the bar/food outlets on matchday?
Not AFAIK, we are just tenants of the RDS - they take a clip of the ticket from everything sold at the various food and drink concessions.

I dont think you will get a better location for a stadium than the RDS. What ever we could gain from increased beer sales etc would be offset by a drop in season tickets were we to move. I am happy to give up beer profits to keep us 75 meters from Ballsbridge and the R118

I cant imagine that pubs that are open 12 times a year make that much profit
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Was talking to someone involved in the RDS a couple of years back and asked about the trade at the bars. On the night of the Clermont qf in 2010 the bars had a turnover of €100k. Think the previous best had been the 30-0 match against Munster when they had a turnover of roughly €80k.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

mtleinster wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:

I dont think you will get a better location for a stadium than the RDS. What ever we could gain from increased beer sales etc would be offset by a drop in season tickets were we to move. I am happy to give up beer profits to keep us 75 meters from Ballsbridge and the R118

I cant imagine that pubs that are open 12 times a year make that much profit
Agreed. The location of the RDS is ideal. The pre-match atmosphere behind the Anglesea stand is unique in my experience, kids playing ball on the grass, the big bar at the end with the TV screens, the selection on food vendors, the sheer space of it all. But it would be comforting to know that the some of the dosh I'm splashing out on food and drink is going to the benefit of my team.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

mtleinster wrote:I cant imagine that pubs that are open 12 times a year make that much profit
Actually, their profit as a % of turnover is probably higher, as they don't have to open at quiet times, when you have three staff on to look after the two local alcoholics.

They are only open at peak times. Our lowest (reported) attendance last season was 14,362. If 50% of those people buy one pint at €5 each (some will buy more, but many won't buy a pint at all), that's just shy of €36k. Not bad for a quiet night. There are plenty of city centre bars that wouldn't get that on a regular basis.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:Nothing bizzare at all about it. Similar behaviour in any public bar. Some folks stand around jabbering, some silent, some block walkways some don't,some stand some sit. Folks to'ing and fro'ing all the time.

What amazes me is people are surprised and bothered by this. It is a minor distraction at worst and with so many breaks in play in Rugby it is bound to continue.
Yeah, that wouldn't bother me unless it was a frequent offender, i.e. someone who is up and down several times while the game is on. Someone nipping out to the bar on 37 and 77 mins is no great shakes. That said being on the terrace (and always being down the front) it's not something I usually have to deal with. I've found the Aviva is bad for the frequent offenders though. And that does piss me off.

As for the bar prices,it doesn't bother me too much. I'll get 3 pints over the course of the evening (before, half-time and after) so it's not breaking the bank. If I'm really thirsty and have the time I might stretch that to 5 pints (2 before and after) so it's only an extra €1 or €2 at most twice a month. Given what I'm getting for the ST (the senior and A games) I don't find that prohibitive. And as has been mentioned the atmosphere in the RDS is enjoyable. You can't beat an Eddie Rockets and a pint before the game.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

mtleinster wrote:I cant imagine that pubs that are open 12 times a year make that much profit
It would be very hard to not make a very handsome profit, allowing for a very healthy rent (& probably turnover share), in a such a place. Much easier to run, and more bang per minute than any of the other Madigans premises, I'd imagine.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Bosley
Beginner

Post by Bosley »

Well here we go again rip off time for the bars at the rds. Only shame is that its one of the few times you can get a pint of Heino and not that other muck. For me its a pint at Under 5 euros in the local. Don't be fooled by those who say they have to make a profit, they are and at least 500% at that. For those who say its not a big deal, wake up it is, its a rip off and a disgrace. Vote with your feet.