RDS bar prices

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TheBear
Enlightened

Re: RDS bar prices

Post by TheBear »

johng wrote:Bottle of champers and a couple of flutes in the grandstand like proper Leinsterfans.

You don't even need an opener.
Of course! Why didn't I think of that? You bring the bubbly and I'll bring the strawberries.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

TheBear wrote:
johng wrote:Bottle of champers and a couple of flutes in the grandstand like proper Leinsterfans.

Of course! Why didn't I think of that? You bring the bubbly and I'll bring the strawberries.
Prosecco I presume? There is a recession going on after all.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Cianostays wrote:
TheBear wrote:

That horific Italian muck? There are limits Ciano.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

johng wrote:
Cianostays wrote:
TheBear wrote:Of course! Why didn't I think of that? You bring the bubbly and I'll bring the strawberries.
:lol:
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

TheBear wrote:
johng wrote:
Cianostays wrote: Prosecco I presume? There is a recession going on after all.
:lol:
Fine, sparkling wine not from the champagne region. Sacrifices must be made.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Absolute rip-off at this stage, same with Lansdowne Road also. It was €5.70 for a hot whiskey on Saturday which wasn't even hot.

I think I'll go elsewhere before the and after the game for drinks from now on and avoid buying anything in the RDS.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote: That horific Italian muck? There are limits Ciano.
Prosecco, DeCaff, Masturbation, Quorn - its all the same thing really.
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

If we are gonna boycott the rds bars then we ought to be prepared.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:
There's only one of those I'd touch.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

johng wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
There's only one of those I'd touch.
You're a vegetarian?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oy! Leave it alone there Johng.

Prosecco is a fine drink, it's just not comparable to champagne. It is much more delicate with a floral/pear nose rather than all the yeasty complexity of champagne. It's an aperatif which doesn't really stand to a food pairing. I find it a bit acidic and harsh on the stomach if you have a few whereas I could drink champagne all night.

That said, for outdoors in the summer it's probably a more appropriate drink.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

TheBear wrote:Cans are fine for people who drink beer, but not much help for those of us who don't like pints. My only option in most of the bars is a glass of warm white wine. Not the most appealing. Also, we don't drink at all games; it'd be nice to have the option of choosing to have a drink without having to suffer poor quality and high prices.
3/4s fill a 500ml plastic bottle with white wine of your choice. Throw in freezer for a few hours before game til it reaches slushy stage. Bring to match with you, by which stage it will have melted but still be nice and cold. Drink from one of these:

Problem solved, and you've just saved yourself the guts of 12 quid.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

All of this talk about expensive beers had me thinking of an article published in the Indo. And thanks to Google, I found it.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 71171.html

From January 2008.
"The airlines are trying to rip us off . I'm a carpenter from Limerick, not a rich Leinster banker. Do they think we are all loaded?"
Sarphil
Enlightened

Post by Sarphil »

Slightly off topic but I wish they'd close the bars during the match. The toing and froing is beyond a joke at this stage, and then getting splashed with beer as the offenders try to manoeuvre back into their seats. Why bother? Can't they have a drink before and after and actually watch the rugby in between?
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Sarphil wrote:Slightly off topic but I wish they'd close the bars during the match. The toing and froing is beyond a joke at this stage, and then getting splashed with beer as the offenders try to manoeuvre back into their seats. Why bother? Can't they have a drink before and after and actually watch the rugby in between?
Have you just moved to this country?
blockhead wrote:Image
My earlier idea would reduce this little problem too BTW.
Sarphil
Enlightened

Post by Sarphil »

blockhead wrote:
Sarphil wrote:Slightly off topic but I wish they'd close the bars during the match. The toing and froing is beyond a joke at this stage, and then getting splashed with beer as the offenders try to manoeuvre back into their seats. Why bother? Can't they have a drink before and after and actually watch the rugby in between?
blockhead wrote:Image
I thought the reason to go to the RDS was to watch a match. My bad.
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Sarphil wrote:
blockhead wrote:

I thought the reason to go to the RDS was to watch a match. My bad.
A friend of mine was dating a french chick a few years back. One night wondering what to do he suggested they go for a drink. She replied " But I'm not thirsty". Awkward silence, tumbleweed rolls by..... "How do I get out of this one" he thinks "without sounding like an alco".
Going out, watchin a game, havin a drink, all at the same time. Its what a lot of us do. We don't need that drink, we are not thirsty but it's fun and it's very unlikely to change so get used to it.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Yes, God forbid someone should want to make the match experience an entire day out and have a few drinks as part of that; with the liklelihood of getting to their seats three minutes late and wanting to get a jump on the queue by leaving their seat three minutes before half time. Far better that we all get strapped into our seats, rollercoaster-style, for the duration of the match, and anyone who needs to move for whatever reason during play be forcibly catapulted from their seat and out of the stadium altogether. That'll learn 'em...
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Yeah the people going for drinks doesn't really bother me... So long as they offer their support on the way back in! ;)

On the subject of the laighinn out tho, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the plac in total, not just the prices. It's fairly bleak and cold looking. No comfortable seats. Drink prices are high. No particular perks for season ticket holders... What's the incentive to go there when I can nip across the road to a pub with a fire, cheaper drink and a load more atmosphere?
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

honeyec wrote:Yes, God forbid someone should want to make the match experience an entire day out and have a few drinks as part of that; with the liklelihood of getting to their seats three minutes late and wanting to get a jump on the queue by leaving their seat three minutes before half time. Far better that we all get strapped into our seats, rollercoaster-style, for the duration of the match, and anyone who needs to move for whatever reason during play be forcibly catapulted from their seat and out of the stadium altogether. That'll learn 'em...
My folks have an issue with people who do this but what really irks them is that the people who are beside them, fellow season ticket holders, appear to have no real interest in watching the match :shock:

They arrive late, leave for the bar before HT, arrive late for the 2nd half and leave before FT. Utterly bizzare.

In all honesty it does irk me a bit when people disturb me watching the game because they want to get a drink. Why can't they wait til the HT break? Why should other fans have to be disturbed from watching the match (albeit for a pretty minute amount of time) so someone else can get to the bar early?

I love having a few pints on matchdays but generally have them before and or after the game.

BTW catapult seems complicated and not very cost effective. A simple trap door system shall suffice :wink: