Leinster (possibly) in the Amlin

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Ulster v Leinster thread

Post by johng »

Upset me? Bwahahahahahahahaha. you wanna get up a lot earlier to do that.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:Upset me? Bwahahahahahahahaha. you wanna get up a lot earlier to do that.
I dunno, you did use "In My Opinion" a hell of a lot in that post.

Tell you what, to make up for it, I've been onto the local trophy shop and I'm having a lovely silver trophy delivered to you shortly.

It doesn't signify anything of course but hey it's silverware right? :wink: :D
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

That's just to say I'm not telling you what to think. It's only my opinion.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Leinster (possibly) in the Amlin

Post by Donny B. »

BAH F**KING HUMBUG!!!!!!
awaaf
Bookworm

Post by awaaf »

I think that Leinster haven't exactly closed out the last few Rabos so maybe gritting their teeth in the Amlin would be good practice in finishing a job once its started.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Too much flirting going on here. I like it!

If I was a Leinster player, I would absolutely be looking to win the Amlin. A final (anywhere but happens to be in Dublin), a chance to win another medal, joy of representing my team, earning my wages, thanking the team mates and fans etc..... A win is a win. It's a celebration. It's a medal. A trophy. Why would some players not be bothered? You could have 1 cap or 100 caps, playing for your team in a Final must be worth a lot. If the Leinster players adopt a "I don't give a sh!t attitude" then I wouldn't play them in the League. You're paid to play. And they will.

Also, to rub it in, munster are 2/4 in HEC Finals. We're 3/3. They're 0/1 in Amlin. Let's go 1/1
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

If we lose the quarter-final of the Amlin, do we then get entered into the Europa Cup?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

suisse wrote:Too much flirting going on here. I like it!

If I was a Leinster player, I would absolutely be looking to win the Amlin. A final (anywhere but happens to be in Dublin), a chance to win another medal, joy of representing my team, earning my wages, thanking the team mates and fans etc..... A win is a win. It's a celebration. It's a medal. A trophy. Why would some players not be bothered? You could have 1 cap or 100 caps, playing for your team in a Final must be worth a lot. If the Leinster players adopt a "I don't give a sh!t attitude" then I wouldn't play them in the League. You're paid to play. And they will.
Sorry, but that's just trite nonsense. It's a win, a celebration, a medal, a trophy that will all mean nothing!

Of course the players selected will go out and play and give their all..... blah, blah, blah but it will mean the sweet sum of f**k all.

If we lose it will hurt slightly more than a defeat in a pre-season game and slightly less than a defeat in a B&I game. Everyone, players and fans alike, will quickly try to forget the game ever happened and move on to winning Heineken Cups, which is what our focus has and will always be.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm with Donny on this. I was at the HC final this year and nobody I was with was interested in going to/watching the Amlin final. Tbh, I can't even remember who was in it off the top of my head.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:
suisse wrote:Too much flirting going on here. I like it!

Sorry, but that's just trite nonsense. It's a win, a celebration, a medal, a trophy that will all mean nothing! To you. The rest of us will celebrate while you watch 2.5 men on the other channel

Of course the players selected will go out and play and give their all..... blah, blah, blah but it will mean the sweet sum of f**k all.

If we lose it will hurt slightly more than a defeat in a pre-season game and slightly less than a defeat in a B&I game. Everyone, Possibly overstating the everyone bit players and fans alike, will quickly try to forget the game ever happened and move on to winning Heineken Cups, which is what our focus has and will always be.
I like the move on to winning HCs bit. We can all agree to that.

Look, no one is suggesting it is better than a HC or a Rabo. But to put it below the B&I is just you doing a George Hook/Jeremy Clarkson and being controversial for the sake of it.

I wasn't that interested in the Amlin last year either. TBH the knockout games were drab in the extreme.

But most people are interested in a comp that their team is in. In fact it is the biggest factor for most fans. Is their team in it?
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

If we get in the Amlin, I want to see the B&I team fielded, in the main. I'd be giving it togs in the crowd backing them, but wouldn't really be that arsed if we lost.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Donny B. wrote:If we lose it will hurt slightly more than a defeat in a pre-season game and slightly less than a defeat in a B&I game. Everyone, players and fans alike, will quickly try to forget the game ever happened and move on to winning Heineken Cups, which is what our focus has and will always be.
Says who? You, or some of the players you asked? How could losing an Amlin Final in Dublin hurt slightly less than a B&I game?

Hi Rhys Ruddock you lost to Pontypool in the B&I Cup and to Saracens in the Amlin Final. Which is worse?
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm with Donny on this. I was at the HC final this year and nobody I was with was interested in going to/watching the Amlin final. Tbh, I can't even remember who was in it off the top of my head.
So you won't go to the Final?
Last edited by suisse on December 20th, 2012, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm with Donny on this. I was at the HC final this year and nobody I was with was interested in going to/watching the Amlin final. Tbh, I can't even remember who was in it off the top of my head.
Biarritz and Toulon.

It's a match that I will never forget. Mostly because I almost fell out of love with rugby on that day.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

:lol: Seems to be an interesting division of opinion on this one. Should we have a poll?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

suisse wrote:
So you won't go to the Final?
I actually wouldn't but that's not because I don't care. I've a bit of a thing about taking tickets that will be in short supply when there are others who would want to go more.

Look I'll be interested in it if and when we end up there but as I've said a few times, I'd like to see us make a good few changes. I'm not saying we put out a load of kids who are guaranteed to lose but that we make sensible changes and build for the future. I'd be much happier losing in the semis with Brendan Macken at 13 than winning the final with Bod there.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

suisse wrote:
Donny B. wrote:If we lose it will hurt slightly more than a defeat in a pre-season game and slightly less than a defeat in a B&I game. Everyone, players and fans alike, will quickly try to forget the game ever happened and move on to winning Heineken Cups, which is what our focus has and will always be.
Says who? You, or some of the players you asked? How could losing an Amlin Final in Dublin hurt slightly less than a B&I game?

Because, and I'll say it loudly again, because you don't seem to grasp the point, IT MEANS NOTHING!!!!!

Explain to me how winning the Amlin cup would be a good thing, what benefit it would bring to Leinster, other than some old "It's a cup" cr@p.

For a high-achieving Heineken Cup team, it's just a mark of failure that we're in it at all and no amount of cheering at the RDS would change that.

Do you honestly think any serious Leinster player would give a cr@p about winning it? I guarantee they'd go through the motions at best.

And again this cr@p about it meaning more cause it's in the RDS. Do you really think the players want to be playing in the bloody warm-up match in the RDS with the big show on the next day up the road?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:IT MEANS NOTHING!!!!!
Oh Vienna!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

On Donny's point there...

If you win the World Cup, you're the champions of the world.

If you win the HC you're best team in Europe.

You win the Amlin and you're...the best of some of the losers from the HC and some average to cr@p teams from Europe. I think it's great for teams at that level but fortunately we're not that level.

The arguments in this thread will look hilarious if we get through in the HC or win the Amlin!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:On Donny's point there...

If you win the World Cup, you're the champions of the world.

If you win the HC you're best team in Europe.

You win the Amlin and you're...the best of some of the losers from the HC and some average to cr@p teams from Europe. I think it's great for teams at that level but fortunately we're not that level.

The arguments in this thread will look hilarious if we get through in the HC or win the Amlin!
Lets hope we'll all looking back and laughing them.

Anyway kinda pointless keeping this going when it's all hypothetical anyway.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:
Lets hope we'll all looking back and laughing them.

Anyway kinda pointless keeping this going when it's all hypothetical anyway.
Agreed on point one. Point 2 neither of us have ever shied away from a pointless argument. They're the best kind!