Ulster v Leinster thread **team pg 4**

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Vamos los azules
Mullet

Re: Ulster v Leinster thread

Post by Vamos los azules »

Hope the Leinster boys have already had that bug go through the squad or else you can guarantee a few of them will be writing off Christmas courtesy of the Ulster players who are contagious.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Ulster v Leinster thread **team pg 4**

Post by hugonaut »

suisse wrote:What a back-line that is. WTF. Haven't read the papers all week or looked much on here. So, I never expected to see Noel Reid or Brendan Macken starting.
Macken was really good against Jersey and caused them problems all over the pitch. He scored one [from way out] and made two. He's not as good as he could be [even at 21 years old] given his size, pace, the fact that he went to a quality rugby school and has been contracted to Leinster since he was 18, but I think he's making quite a lot of improvement this season. Definitely more improvement this season than in any of his three previous seasons with Leinster, in my opinion. Very happy to see it, I may add – he's a hell of an exciting player at 'A' level.

Still, Darren Cave is a big step up, especially in the form he has shown this season. If Macken can hold his own against Cave [in Ravenhill, especially], it would be a very good performance.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

I see Clancy is the ref and he will be ably supported by Fitzgibbon on the line.

It could be a long night.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

D4surfer wrote:I see Clancy is the ref and he will be ably supported by Fitzgibbon on the line.

Could well be a very boring game with those pair, who do they hate most though is the question? Clancy is looked upon by most of us in the same way as a bad dose of that Norovirus.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

rooster wrote:
D4surfer wrote:I see Clancy is the ref and he will be ably supported by Fitzgibbon on the line.

Could well be a very boring game with those pair, who do they hate most though is the question? Clancy is looked upon by most of us in the same way as a bad dose of that Norovirus.
Two refs who don't care who wins, so long as everyone's talking about them afterwards.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the scrums should even themselves out/be stable/be even though Tom Court tends to rely on strength rather than skill so if Bent can have a go at him we'll know exactly what we'll have gotten with him
packs even enough in general so this a game that will require manic f****** aggression to get on top/win majority of possession

my guess is kicking could decide this, Madigan has a bad day we're screwed, conversely Jackson isnt the most reliable, and both have long range kickers available too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

simonokeeffe wrote:
my guess is kicking could decide this, Madigan has a bad day we're screwed, conversely Jackson isnt the most reliable, and both have long range kickers available too
McFadden will kick, I'd have thunk
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Well that's that then.... Leinster's 2 biggest fans......NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....
Should just concede the match now....
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Let's be honest, we've been spoiled. Over the last couple of years Leinster have delivered so many big performances when required, especially at home, that maybe we, the supporters, have taken these deeds for granted. After the excellent performance away to Clermont fell just short of a win, Leinster fans were all fully confident that their team would do the business at the Aviva and win and win well.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Really is strange that Dave K and EOM (and even Fionn Carr) are left out considering Reid and Byrne are in there.

Macken given a shot ahead of Goodman is fair enough (seeing as Goodman is on the bench)

If all were fit, surely they would have Dave at FB and EOM either bench or 13.

It is an opportunity to get much needed points, and Ulster's backline is fairly serious. Our only edge is in the back row.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

limecat wrote:Match Preview

Let's be honest, we've been spoiled. Over the last couple of years Leinster have delivered so many big performances when required, especially at home, that maybe we, the supporters, have taken these deeds for granted. After the excellent performance away to Clermont fell just short of a win, Leinster fans were all fully confident that their team would do the business at the Aviva and win and win well.

Read more...
Just one thing: Leinster also qualified from the group in 2009 after 2 losses..actually topped the group.. earning 4 BPs.
Dont Panic!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Oh and by the way. WTF are we doing letting Ulster take a 2nd row/back row who is 6'5" and sounds promising? They are thin enough on the ground here.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

johng wrote:The Nordies have only beaten us once in the Celtic/Magners/Rabo on a very wet day in Ravenhill. I can still feel the rain running down the inside of my collar.
IIRC Mal was on the pitch for about 5 minutes as a blood sub, I've never seen any player so pissed off to be leaving the comparative warmth of the stand!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Dexter wrote:

Read more...
Just one thing: Leinster also qualified from the group in 2009 after 2 losses..actually topped the group.. earning 4 BPs.
thankee kindly.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
thepunter
Bookworm

Post by thepunter »

betting preview anseo if you're into that sort of thing. In our view this looks like Leinster's to lose in all honesty - take away the away win at an ordinary Saints side and you have three squeaky away wins in the league and a loss at home to...an ordinary Northampton side. We've been loving Ulster this season, but they have to have a lull sometime after that winning streak and last week was the start of it we reckon

http://dropkickrugby.com/ulster-v-leins ... y-betting/
dropkickrugby.com/forum, Us lot bet on rugby
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Donny B. wrote:Any sign of an Ulster team out there?

Rooster, what about ye?
You need to accent that ye (it's more like a chee") a bit, we don't want to be insulting our northern brethren with any old common or gardener "ye", now do we!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Oldschool wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Any sign of an Ulster team out there?

Rooster, what about ye?
You need to accent that ye (it's more like a chee") a bit, we don't want to be insulting our northern brethren with any old common or gardener "ye", now do we!
Perhaps he would be safer sticking to a southern part of Ulster accent for me though :wink:

Anyway main thing tomorrow is a good early start so you don't get stuck in traffic, a decent fair match not spoiled by over zealous whistle use by the turnip in the middle, good nights entertainment and may the best side win, no more injuries on either side, then safe journey back home and a happy Christmas to one and all :happy clapper:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I once went out with a girl from Belfast. Didn't need a razor, you could wake up in the morning and shave on her accent.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Word around D'brook is there are a stack of back-three injuries hence Reid and Adam Byrne. Can't believe that Joe would select another out-half at full back just for the hell of it. Missing RK, Isa, DK, Darren Hudson and possible Andy Conway is quite a catalogue of possible full-backs. Carr had an ankle injury when he came off on Sunday and was being treated before the A game was finished. EO'M also came off early on Sunday on his first start back so assumed he also had a niggle.

However, that said, there is some amazement that Jackson is back in the frame as he seemed clearly to damage a quad muscle as he hit a volley 60mtrs and then chased it, limping the last 22m. Having seen guys do that sort of injury, I will be amazed if he plays even 40 mins.

Contest in front-row should be massive. Unlike last week, we will not be up against a really powerful 2nd-Row as well so technique will be vital. Bent versus Court will be our first real look, hopefully for 80 mins, at Ireland's latest THP. The other big contest will be SO'B versus Chris Henry. Looking forward to those two back-rows over tackle areas
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dexter wrote:

Read more...
b*%&!cks, so they did