Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by wixfjord »

Peg Leg wrote: March 30th, 2021, 1:37 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: March 30th, 2021, 11:57 am I kow he hasn't been the player of 2 seasons ago but even now I can't think of anyone else in the squad who gives us what Fardy gives us. It's going to be hard to replace him from within the squad I think.

At virtually every break in play someone in the opposition has Fardy by the Jersey and wants to punch him. You need a guy like that and I can't think of anyone else in the squad that winds up the opposition like that :D
I think that Josh Murphy is very punchable and likely successor in that regard. (high praise that)
Rhys & Jack Dunne could pick up some of the 'enforcer' slack too I reckon, as might Dan Sheahan.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Jack Dunne has a lot of work to do if he is going to be considered an enforcer.

haven't seen that attitude or hardness from him, but it's early.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 30th, 2021, 1:55 pm Jack Dunne has a lot of work to do if he is going to be considered an enforcer.

haven't seen that attitude or hardness from him, but it's early.
He learned his lesson with Stan.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The Academy guys throughout their 3 years have huge emphasis placed on pitch discipline which also figures in their assessment reports. Dunne has enforcer potential but the role is generally best assigned to a No 6 or No 2. In both positions, largely because of positional mobility around the line-out, players with those numbers can pick-out or track trouble makers and ensure that they issue a reminder about their manners ar the next breakdown or maul. Verbals & warnings have long been discontinued in this part of the retail trade.

Leinster have not been reknowned for appointments in this since Leo hung up his boots. However, there is definitely a slot opening up at present and I would like to see it filled. Murphy would be an ideal selection.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Nathan Hines was the Leinster master of the Dave Makay.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

We’re Munster really in for du toit???

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.the42.i ... 1/%3famp=1
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Apparently JP McManus is bank rolling the signings. 500k+ per year at a time when Munster player are being let go. Classy. Fast becoming the Toulon of Irish Rugby
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Logorrhea wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:02 am Apparently JP McManus is bank rolling the signings. 500k+ per year at a time when Munster player are being let go. Classy. Fast becoming the Toulon of Irish Rugby
Well if this is the case Munster rugby has more problems than just it’s management team. This type of thing during a pandemic with local lads losing contracts will simply snuff out whatever culture they have left from their glory years 10+ years ago
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Logorrhea wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:02 am Apparently JP McManus is bank rolling the signings. 500k+ per year at a time when Munster player are being let go. Classy. Fast becoming the Toulon of Irish Rugby
I’ve heard that about JP McManus too.

Whenever it’s brought up with Munster fans they reply that Denis O’Brien is bankrolling Leinster.

I know O’Brien had some involvement with bringing Sexton back from Racing but I don’t think he has any major involvement with Leinster.

Open to correction however..
Serb
Mullet

Rumour Mill

Post by Serb »

It was rumoured that someone was subsidising Sexton’s wages to get him back in blue. Heaslip was also being subsidised allegedly. It’s mentioned in this article from 2016.

https://the42.ie/3050316
The fact that some of Ireland’s top players now have their contracts topped-up by private money is perhaps partly behind the loosening of the stance.

Johnny Sexton and Jamie Heaslip are thought to be among those players, while the highly-lucrative new Connacht contract – a provincial one, rather than a central IRFU contract – Bundee Aki recently agreed is also believed to have been contributed to by an outside source.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Did Sexton not become an"ambassador" for Topaz or something?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Surley nobody can have a problem with someone very rich investing some of their money in Rugby? We need more of that, not less.
How about the guy that gave us our shiny new training facility?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Given the times I hope Leinster have access to outside money to ensure our squad is kept together.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote: March 31st, 2021, 8:49 am Surley nobody can have a problem with someone very rich investing some of their money in Rugby? We need more of that, not less.
the problem isn't the money coming in, thats welcome, its what it's being spent on. DDA, RGS - fine, nothing wrong with a depressed team making a flagship signing to add something to the team, inspire the squad, lift the fanbase - all good. It's when it becomes the norm, thats where the problem is.
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

blockhead wrote: March 31st, 2021, 8:49 am Surley nobody can have a problem with someone very rich investing some of their money in Rugby? We need more of that, not less.
It depends on what the money is being invested in. Investing funds in training facilities is a long-term benefit. Investing it in overseas signing while decent local talent are being let go is FAI-level short-term thinking.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Serb wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:48 am It was rumoured that someone was subsidising Sexton’s wages to get him back in blue
It was more to ensure he stayed in green
I have Bumbleflex
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Absolutely! Would prefer it wasn't a certain [redacted] topping contracts up but extra money for no stake in the club is great.
There were rumours in the past that Rory McIlory was giving a bit to Ulster though Ulster denied said rumours.

I can see the points being made for investing in facilities etc, but if someone offers the money for a specific use (such as signing an expensive import) what else can you do
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I mean we'd take it for Cheslon Kolbe, thing is, I don't think he'd fix the problems we do have.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

cormac wrote: March 31st, 2021, 9:04 am
It depends on what the money is being invested in. Investing funds in training facilities is a long-term benefit. Investing it in overseas signing while decent local talent are being let go is FAI-level short-term thinking.
The benefactor probably put conditions on the investment. General salaries and facilities up keep probably wasn't one of those conditions.
Now, to my mind, it would a sackable offence for any CEO to say "No thanks, Mr/Mrs Millionare. Sure we can't pay the wages of all the players already have. You keep that money, it wouldn't look good. Go spend it on the local hurling scene, again"
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote: March 31st, 2021, 9:35 am
The benefactor probably put conditions on the investment. General salaries and facilities up keep probably wasn't one of those conditions.
Now, to my mind, it would a sackable offence for any CEO to say "No thanks, Mr/Mrs Millionare. Sure we can't pay the wages of all the players already have. You keep that money, it wouldn't look good. Go spend it on the local hurling scene, again"
At the same time, if you need a sofa there is no point in someone buying you a lamp
I have Bumbleflex