A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by blockhead »

hugonaut wrote: September 29th, 2021, 8:18 am
ronk wrote: September 29th, 2021, 8:02 am
mildlyinterested wrote: September 29th, 2021, 7:26 am ROC struggling for content: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 99382.html

I'm guessing they have the same agent.
All with Navy Blue, Niall Woods' firm [source: https://www.navyblue.ie/clients/international/ ]
So whats the payback then. The odd scoop or dinner in Roly's.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ROC, I’d forgotten that clown existed…
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

blockhead wrote: September 29th, 2021, 9:09 am
hugonaut wrote: September 29th, 2021, 8:18 am
ronk wrote: September 29th, 2021, 8:02 am

I'm guessing they have the same agent.
All with Navy Blue, Niall Woods' firm [source: https://www.navyblue.ie/clients/international/ ]
So whats the payback then. The odd scoop or dinner in Roly's.
ROC is the epitome of a what's wrong with journalism. No talent and yet a huge profile.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Clicking on that indo link was big mistake. Puff piece would be massive overstatement. Zzzzzzz........
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

In other news, Cammy Lopez is looking to be released a year early from his contract with ASM.
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 29th, 2021, 8:20 am Sure, you really can see Irish players wanting to sign up to the English Premiership, given the state of that country. Or maybe they'll choose France where they can play 25 plus games a season and watch Ireland play in a foreign language.

Somehow, with the prospect of being involved, at last, in a decent quality League and much more cohesion between the Provincial and National calendars, I can't see players like those looking to foreign shores. If you've been involved in winning dressing rooms, it's very difficult to accept anything less.
Of the group mentioned, I could see Ross Byrne's head turned.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Peg Leg wrote: September 29th, 2021, 12:29 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: September 29th, 2021, 8:20 am Sure, you really can see Irish players wanting to sign up to the English Premiership, given the state of that country. Or maybe they'll choose France where they can play 25 plus games a season and watch Ireland play in a foreign language.

Somehow, with the prospect of being involved, at last, in a decent quality League and much more cohesion between the Provincial and National calendars, I can't see players like those looking to foreign shores. If you've been involved in winning dressing rooms, it's very difficult to accept anything less.
I guess Ruddock could think it's pointless trying to get into the Ireland team, because being far and away the best option at Blindside seems to be totally irrelevant to Andy Farrell. Wouldn't blame him for being frustrated.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Why? Sexton has a year maybe 2 left. He's been getting loads of gametime and playing well. The narrative was that we were massively overstocked but the reality is that we've needed to go to uncharted depths. Last year we played a sub academy player who didn't make the academy. There are no outhalves in the academy so there's no looming gametime crunch and if there is he's well positioned. If he leaves Leinster have to try and sign someone (at some point).

JJ had already left easily and come back (the more you move the easier it is). He wasn't mourned much either time he left Munster. They never got much out of him and never valued him. He's been doing well for Clermont. He was already legacy for Munster and Ireland, he wasn't in long term plans.

Even for Ireland he has good chances. He's forced his way back in before. As a starter in Leinster he'd be harder to ignore and he might fancy his chances in a head to head with Carbery.

There's another issue with Carbery: Madigan syndrome. It all went slowly wrong for him for no obvious reason. He'd talent and some good play but hadn't really carried a team for any length of time.
Flaws in his game were dismissed as he was progressing, then the progress stopped. It took a long time for most fans and his reputation to catch up. His placekicking held up, the entire backline regressed.

At some point it will dawn on the majority of fans (or Carbery's form will improve), it's not happening.

Twice this month I've seen Sexton rip opposing defences apart repeatedly. When did Carbery last do that? When will he next?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

CiaranIrl wrote: September 29th, 2021, 1:19 pm

I guess Ruddock could think it's pointless trying to get into the Ireland team, because being far and away the best option at Blindside seems to be totally irrelevant to Andy Farrell. Wouldn't blame him for being frustrated.
Beirne might point to his Lions form.

If a club decides that Ruddock is their guy and they reach for him (big pay), we might lose him. But I don't think he has the fan recognition or reputation that would see one of those offers. Could happen.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Who got the two undeserved starts off no tangible form for Ireland in the Summer, the guy who moved teams when asked to.

Who played second fiddle for Ireland last season behind an average 10 in Billy Burns, the guy who didn’t move teams when asked to.

Ross Byrne’s days look numbered for Ireland, if he stays around it’s because he becomes a Mr Leinster like other guys in the past who were overlooked a lot in their careers by Ireland Leo, Jenno, Kev, Ferg but even at that Leo and Jenno left for a while. Even within these forums we can see there is a bit of momentum behind Harry amongst the usual fan boys, he gets the plaudits when we cruise to wins and not much mention when he struggles (I think it was the Ospreys match last season was one where he had a bit of a mare). Ross usually gets blamed for his ‘athleticism’ when our pack get beaten up in a big game.

He’s good enough to be starting for a big team imo, he’s 26 now so in his prime, this season is a chance to see if he overtakes Sexton and for him hopefully personally that he doesn’t get overtaken by his brother. If you went through all the top teams in Europe is there a better back up 10 than Ross, I’m not sure there is, I can see why teams would want him. As a fan I hope he stays.
Last edited by OTT on September 29th, 2021, 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

OTT wrote: September 29th, 2021, 1:44 pm Who got the two undeserved starts off no tangible form for Ireland in the Summer, the guy who moved teams when asked to.

Who played second fiddle for Ireland last season behind an average 10 in Billy Burns, the guy who didn’t move teams when asked to.

Ross Byrne’s days look numbered for Ireland, if he stays around it’s because he becomes a Mr Leinster like other guys in the past who were overlooked a lot in their careers by Ireland Leo, Jenno, Kev, Ferg but even at that Leo and Jenno left for a while. Even within these forums we can see there is a bit of momentum behind Harry amongst the usual fan boys, he gets the plaudits when we cruise to wins and not much mention when he struggles (I think it was the Ospreys match last season was one where he had a bit of a mare). Ross usually gets blamed for his ‘athleticism’ when our pack get beaten up in a big game.

He’s good enough to be starting for a big team imo, he’s 26 now so in his prime, this season is a chance to see if he overtakes Sexton and for him hopefully personally that he doesn’t get overtaken by his brother. If you went through all the top teams in Europe is there a better back up 10 than Ross, I’m not sure there is, I can see why teams would want him. As a fan I hope he stays.
Could not agree more with the above. Just remember though that the only reason we think there’s a possibility of RB moving right now is because ROC is shilling for these guys agent so I don’t think he’ll go, but if he were to go he would be a massive asset for the club that landed him.

Same sentiment for Porter and Rhyss
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

OTT wrote: September 29th, 2021, 1:44 pm Who got the two undeserved starts off no tangible form for Ireland in the Summer, the guy who moved teams when asked to.

That counts for meaningless tours and where it's a marginal call.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

CiaranIrl wrote: September 29th, 2021, 1:19 pmI guess Ruddock could think it's pointless trying to get into the Ireland team, because being far and away the best option at Blindside seems to be totally irrelevant to Andy Farrell. Wouldn't blame him for being frustrated.
I feel like the narrative of Ruddock is that he has been perennially overlooked. My memory was of bursts of form then far too often injuries which didn't make his selection possible along with a few reasonably long slumps in form too - especially when he put on extra kgs to play 5.5.
Yeah he's missed out a few times on marginal calls but half or possibly a third the number of occasions he has been made out to be on here sometimes.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Hmmm, that's a very, very selective reading of things.

Ross is a fine player, but like he clearly does lack athleticism and an attacking game at the top end which limits his test potential.

The podcast that was posted on here recently had himself laughing at his own lack of pace and power.

Carbery & Burns don't have his game control or kicking from tee game (in Burns case), but Farrell obviously wants a 10 who can attack and threaten and Ross has had a few pretty poor showings in green at times.

Again, he's a great 10 and clearly good enough to start for us, but he also has obvious issues in his game that are hard to bridge at a high level.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

wixfjord wrote: September 29th, 2021, 7:27 pm

Hmmm, that's a very, very selective reading of things.

Ross is a fine player, but like he clearly does lack athleticism and an attacking game at the top end which limits his test potential.

The podcast that was posted on here recently had himself laughing at his own lack of pace and power.

Carbery & Burns don't have his game control or kicking from tee game (in Burns case), but Farrell obviously wants a 10 who can attack and threaten and Ross has had a few pretty poor showings in green at times.

Again, he's a great 10 and clearly good enough to start for us, but he also has obvious issues in his game that are hard to bridge at a high level.
So we are agreed that Ross would be a real good signing for someone outside Ireland because he doesn’t look like he has much of an Ireland future. Cool.

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

OTT wrote: September 29th, 2021, 7:34 pm

So we are agreed that Ross would be a real good signing for someone outside Ireland because he doesn’t look like he has much of an Ireland future. Cool.
You're building a Burning Man sized strawman there :lol:

Ross would be a great signing for someone. He'd be a great player to keep for Leinster too. I think everyone agrees on those two fronts.

I also didn't say 'he doesn’t look like he has much of an Ireland future' at all. You made that bit up.

But this doesn't alter the fact he has clear, self admitted things that limit his effectiveness at times at a high level.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote: September 29th, 2021, 8:58 pm
OTT wrote: September 29th, 2021, 7:34 pm

You're building a Burning Man sized strawman there :lol:

Ross would be a great signing for someone. He'd be a great player to keep for Leinster too. I think everyone agrees on those two fronts.

I also didn't say 'he doesn’t look like he has much of an Ireland future' at all. You made that bit up.

But this doesn't alter the fact he has clear, self admitted things that limit his effectiveness at times at a high level.
I actually think OTT’s ‘he doesn’t look like he has much of an Ireland future’ is a pretty good match for your ‘Ross is a fine player, but like he clearly does lack athleticism and an attacking game at the top end which limits his test potential.’
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

OTT wrote: September 29th, 2021, 7:34 pmSo we are agreed that Ross would be a real good signing for someone outside Ireland because he doesn’t look like he has much of an Ireland future. Cool.
If I was him I'd look at JJ Hanrahan earning a decent wedge in France.

A big physical reliable kicking 10 would be appreciated no doubt.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Jeremy Staunton was the athlete who had everything and could do anything. He worked hard and focused on his game. Ronan O'Gara was talented, but not as blessed. He worked harder and won games however he could.

Future success isnt just an ability function. Ross Byrne isn't perfect, but he's been winning Leinster games for a long time. He doesn't score a lot of tries but he's scored the same or more tries in the HC as the URC every year. He's a big game player.