Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 17th, 2021, 12:17 pmmost of the locks youve listed have played little senior rugby and leinster need a big experienced tough SOB at 5 and they dont have that.
Thats certainly true, but I think that it's something the coaching team believe can better get through 'up-coaching' (just threw up a little in my mouth there, sorry) rather than by buying in.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 17th, 2021, 12:26 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: September 17th, 2021, 12:17 pmmost of the locks youve listed have played little senior rugby and leinster need a big experienced tough SOB at 5 and they dont have that.
Thats certainly true, but I think that it's something the coaching team believe can better get through 'up-coaching' (just threw up a little in my mouth there, sorry) rather than by buying in.
Céard é an scéal, Dave? Can we look forward to a grand Blues Talk season preview next week?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 17th, 2021, 12:10 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: September 17th, 2021, 11:39 am there is a fairly big hole at 5 at the moment and only going to get bigger when Toner goes.

James Ryan might disagree with that. Toner will certainly be a huge loss though, guys that size who are good footballers are very rare. We're not short of locks, we currently have Baird, Ryan, Molony, Dunne, and Toner in the senior squad and Deeny, Ryan and ors in the academy, we just have to work out how best to use them and thats a coaching thing.

To my mind, the biggest gap in the squad is at 6 - Rhys Ruddock is grand when fit, is Josh Murphy ready for the step up or will they move Conan in there more often. I think that the semi final last year exposed Baird at 6 (at least at this point in his career and at that level) quite badly
Basically Fardy at the peak of his powers.

Signing another lock was politically tough after having so many for so long. It's awkward for the national team in a way what Fardy wasn't (he moved to suit us, not us moving guys around as we would with a monster tighthead lock). And any players worth signing ain't cheap.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

listening to Ross Byrne on a podcast, he confirms that the IRFU approached him about moving away from Leinster and he said that he never thought a second about leaving leinster.

22/23 mins in: https://soundcloud.com/richie-allen-3/r ... episode-63
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Thank BOD he didn't go. We now know that there was no barrier to losing both of them after Salanoa.

The Carbery as backup for the RWC issue wouldn't have been fully solved. So the IRFU would have gone ahead with moving Carbery once the option was on the table.

The result would have blown up Leinster's season and depending on how far along the Burns deal was the Irish depth chart would be down one or would have had 2 internationals still competing for a club jersey.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 17th, 2021, 2:24 pm listening to Ross Byrne on a podcast, he confirms that the IRFU approached him about moving away from Leinster and he said that he never thought a second about leaving leinster.

I love hearing players saying stuff like that. I'd rather a player who bleeds Leinster, rather than someone who'll jump ship on a promise. Unfortunate that the IRFU seem to punish the former and reward the latter.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 17th, 2021, 11:39 am there is a fairly big hole at 5 at the moment and only going to get bigger when Toner goes.
Hang on - I though we all agreed just this week that Alan Spicer is the saviour of Leinster Rugby? :twisted:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

deco wrote: September 17th, 2021, 6:01 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: September 17th, 2021, 2:24 pm listening to Ross Byrne on a podcast, he confirms that the IRFU approached him about moving away from Leinster and he said that he never thought a second about leaving leinster.

I love hearing players saying stuff like that. I'd rather a player who bleeds Leinster, rather than someone who'll jump ship on a promise. Unfortunate that the IRFU seem to punish the former and reward the latter.
Theres plenty more stories like that. 2 recent lions are just a few who have turned down multiple approaches.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Xanthippe wrote: September 17th, 2021, 6:11 pm
Hang on - I though we all agreed just this week that Alan Spicer is the saviour of Leinster Rugby? :twisted:
You haven't heard the rumour then?
The one about him going to Munster after the RWC when their RWC winning SR signing has left these shores.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Xanthippe wrote: September 17th, 2021, 6:11 pm
You sure that wasn't last week?
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 17th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: September 17th, 2021, 12:10 pm

James Ryan might disagree with that. Toner will certainly be a huge loss though, guys that size who are good footballers are very rare. We're not short of locks, we currently have Baird, Ryan, Molony, Dunne, and Toner in the senior squad and Deeny, Ryan and ors in the academy, we just have to work out how best to use them and thats a coaching thing.

To my mind, the biggest gap in the squad is at 6 - Rhys Ruddock is grand when fit, is Josh Murphy ready for the step up or will they move Conan in there more often. I think that the semi final last year exposed Baird at 6 (at least at this point in his career and at that level) quite badly
James Ryans ability to be a top tier 5 looks doubtful to me, may be more suited to 4. Even if he can return to previous levels, most of the locks youve listed have played little senior rugby and leinster need a big experienced tough SOB at 5 and they dont have that.
Yeah, I'd really like to see Ryan as the loosehead lock, being the main lineout operator alongside a gnarled tighthead lock in the mould of a Brad Thorn. If signing someone like Skelton isn't on the table then developing Dunne for that role might be the best option.

I'm far from convinced that Ryan and Baird is going to be a heavyweight enough pairing against the very best opposition.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I wonder what kind of weight Joe McCarthy will end up at in a few years' time. He's a good prospect as a tighthead lock.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Thanks for sharing: that was great (despite the way too many references to the senior cup).
I’m definitely on the running 10 side of the debate, but pure blue bloodedness trumps everything. I’m happy to admit that I was wrong, and Ross is my new messiah. That interview just oozes dedication to Leinster.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

GT
Granted, Skeltons don’t exactly fall off trees and, no less than many others, Leinster are actively looking for such an import; but the timing of the new Japanese league in May shrinks the options for a short-term signing a la Thorn in 2011-12.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4682169
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ROC struggling for content: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 99382.html
Leinster will face stiff competition to retain the services of three of their Ireland internationals beyond the end of this season, with a number of clubs in England and France preparing to make offers to Rhys Ruddock, Ross Byrne and Andrew Porter.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 29th, 2021, 7:26 am ROC struggling for content: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 99382.html
Leinster will face stiff competition to retain the services of three of their Ireland internationals beyond the end of this season, with a number of clubs in England and France preparing to make offers to Rhys Ruddock, Ross Byrne and Andrew Porter.
I'm guessing they have the same agent.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote: September 29th, 2021, 8:02 am
mildlyinterested wrote: September 29th, 2021, 7:26 am ROC struggling for content: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 99382.html
I'm guessing they have the same agent.
All with Navy Blue, Niall Woods' firm [source: https://www.navyblue.ie/clients/international/ ]
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Sure, you really can see Irish players wanting to sign up to the English Premiership, given the state of that country. Or maybe they'll choose France where they can play 25 plus games a season and watch Ireland play in a foreign language.

Somehow, with the prospect of being involved, at last, in a decent quality League and much more cohesion between the Provincial and National calendars, I can't see players like those looking to foreign shores. If you've been involved in winning dressing rooms, it's very difficult to accept anything less.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

it's been rare for stuff like this to be in the papers recently.. suppose it's to be expected given the financial situation in irish rugby.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Players likely out of contract:

Jonathan Sexton(36/St. Marys/St. Marys) - central contract until 2022
Sean Cronin(35) - signed 1 yr contract in 2021
Devin Toner(35/Castleknock/Lansdowne) - signed 1 yr contract in 2021
Cian Healy(33/Belvedere/Clontarf) - central contract until 2022
Rhys Ruddock(30/Exile/St. Marys) - signed contract in 2020
Jamison Gibson Park(29) - signed 3yr contract in 2019
Robbie Henshaw(28) - central contact until 2022