Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by hugonaut »

Surprised that this name hasn't come up: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 78674.html
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

janeymac08 wrote:Nathan Sharpe - think he is free in a month or so (after the Wallabies tour Europe).
Wouldn't really welcome that tbh, obviously would be a great short term signing, but would love to see us getting a 3 year long contract.

Albacete would be another awesome one.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I'd definitely consider Horwill top quality but I think his contract runs into next season. No way the ARU are letting him go without a serious fight.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Rumours are wonderful things. They require no logic. They don't need to have any justification. They can appear to overturn any rules. But let's understand a few basics:

1. Leinster only got Brad Thorn because of Leo's Achilles' tendons.
2. Leinster had to fight like hell to get him approved by the IRFU - he was initially turned down.
3. The IRFU policy on recruitment of players does not give any Province free licence to recruit players; they all have to be approved by the Player Contracts committee.
4. It is far more likely that Leinster are shopping in Ireland or at least locallym, if at all, for a 2nd row, rather than overseas.

Having said that, there is a rumour doing the rounds in France that Jason Eaton is jumping ship in NZ and is looking to play in Europe, specifically in the HC. That wonderful French Rugby institution, Midi Olympique, has a story today (on page 34)entitled "La <Dream Team> Prende Forme". Basically the story says that Jacky Lorenzatti, the owner of Racing Metro is going to contract the following players for next Season, for the exclusive purpose of winning the H Cup: Jamie Roberts, Martin Castrogiovanni (already recruited according to MO), Soane Tonga'uiha and Jason Eaton (2.02 Mtr, 107 Kg and 15 All Blacks caps). Eaton is "reputed to have signed" a contract of intention with a Welsh, or other European club, but Lorenzatti believes that he can buy that contract out.

MO consider Lorenzatti a spoofer, but they always report the rumours surrounding Racing Metro because he is so successful as a (property) businessman / speculator.

Now Jason Eaton (or Luke Charteris) are the only two 2nd rows in world rugby who would make a "pair" with Dev. We wouldn't say no to either one but Damien Brown, or Mark Flanagan might. Personally, I think that Leinster would be better trying to get their hands on Ryan Caldwell or Tuohy next season, or even (whisper it gently because they have tried it already last year), Mike McCarthy.

The only other candidate that Leinster should possibly seek is this year's transfer flop - thus far - Richie Gray. Sale are languishing badly. Whatever reason took him there in the first place, unless it's his love life, has been a total disaster and may even cost him his (undoubtedly warranted) Lions place. He is the European 2nd row who has the potential to dominate any world ranking of the position after the departure from the international scene of Botha, Thorn and Matfield - but where is he? Injured is the easy answer, but not a real reason. Gray is a kid in 2nd row terms. He has the potential to become a new species, a running second row who jumps at No 4, handles like Zinzan Brook and could play until he's as old as Simon Shaw.

Other than Gray, we should keep our bucks for backline spectaculars, who do not have any international call-ups. Just now apart from injuries, our production line is working just fine and if we can develop Quinn Roux in anything like the manner that Richardt Strauss has improved, the liklihood is that S African player agents will be banging on Mick Dawson's door with Saffa's, without a tan, who fancy a long international career.

If I was a betting man, I would not be surprised to learn that Jason Eaton's agent threw in the "word" that Leinster may be interested in his man...... "who, me gov? I never said a word, scout's honour...."

Let's put one thing to bed. We were never going to be allowed to recruit Brad Thorn again. If Hell had frozen over, nobody in the IRFU would have allowed us bring somebody that good into our set-up at 36 years of age and ensure that another Irish Province got hammered in a H Cup final. The IRFU bought the "36 year old has-been and that's the only reason he's available" line once. They won't buy it again. But to be fair to Joe Schmidt & Jono GIbbes, many other people in World rugby also thought he was finished after RWC2011. They just didn't know the man as well as JS, JG & Greg Feek.

If you have a good look at the Irish XV succession prospects, we are in reasonable shape in the back three; beginning to develop a decent crop in mid-field (not BO'D quality, but's that's impossible), particualrly at out-half; a few prospects at No 9, particularly with Marmion and McGrath from the last JWC; Loose-head looks OK, Hooker also, TH could do with another couple coming throught, but the prospects are around, including Furlong. Flankers are littering the place and Dan Leavy and one or two others may eventually fill some of the gap that Jamie will leave behind eventually at No 8.

2nd row is where we are thin on the ground in raw material;

But 2nd Row is the area we really lack the height and weight that other nations seem to have yards of. The Saxons can wheel out any number of large gentlemen, as can the French, at their leisure. Even the Scots, Welsh and Italians have a number of candidates, but we lack large men with strength and mobility, not to mention durability and hardness. Toner, Ryan, Tuohy and McCarthy will eventually have to fill the gap which Mal, POC and DOC have filled for a decade and a half. But for the next several (possibly 5) years, those four will fill the spaces unless we have a real discovery and it won't be easy.

On that basis alone, it is highly unlikely that the IRFU are going to allow any Irish Province recruit overseas second-rows in the foreseeable future, and why would they?
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Rocky can play second row and is clubless.. ;)
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ceemec wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Dannie Roussow or Dan Vickerman?
Signed for Toulon recently and retired respectively.
Whoever updates Japanese rugby on wikipedia is not doing a good enough job
Vickerman played s15 this year? If he did and maybe Aussie club too he might still be fit, its a guess for who it is more so than wishful thinking

Carizza linked with Scarlets according to wikipedia :? problem with Argies is theyre missing for September - November more or less especially if you want to give them any kind of a break. 6'7 and 120kg would fit the bit of heft brief though
Caldwell would be a good signing but can't see him leaving Bath early
Roux is a project player and we have a spare NIQ slot so that should allow us an NIQ lock?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Vickerman retired due to injury so he's out. Caldwell could be an option but obviously isn't the person ror is referring to. He has done well at Bath and a move to Ireland could benefit all involved.

Really is very few people that fit the description. Have to assume it is a southern hemisphere player anyway.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
On that basis alone, it is highly unlikely that the IRFU are going to allow any Irish Province recruit overseas second-rows in the foreseeable future, and why would they?
Actually the IRFU rules will not only allow a NIQ 2nd row to be signed, they will effectively mandate it. 5 (4 + project) NIQ players each province, total of 15, not more than one in each position. There's scope for a lock or two and filling the quota without using one would just move the problem (from an IRFU perspective) elsewhere. Ulster have (and will lose) Muller, Munster won't want one (for a while, at least).

The IRFU will almost pressurise us to get a NIQ lock as opposed to someone in another position. Unless Munster have a more pressing medium term need, if that happens there's no way the IRFU will block them recruiting.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

If an Aussie it'll have to be Sharpe, as everyone else will be hanging on to ensure their place for the Lions series. He's a relatively sprightly 34, and his contract with Western Force finished before the "Championship", I believe.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

ror wrote:Not Immediate....
Based on this, I assume it's a signing for next season?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

Great post ruckedtobits. I think the Richie Gray recruitment idea is a good one but Sale might prefer to sell him to a French club if they had to let him go. I think there is no way that Leinster will go for a Puma lock who could be called up for International duty several times a year. In any case, apart from Dr.Phil our experience with recruiting Argies has been pretty woeful esp. for forwards.

The only other candidate that Leinster should possibly seek is this year's transfer flop - thus far - Richie Gray. Sale are languishing badly. Whatever reason took him there in the first place, unless it's his love life, has been a total disaster and may even cost him his (undoubtedly warranted) Lions place. He is the European 2nd row who has the potential to dominate any world ranking of the position after the departure from the international scene of Botha, Thorn and Matfield - but where is he? Injured is the easy answer, but not a real reason. Gray is a kid in 2nd row terms. He has the potential to become a new species, a running second row who jumps at No 4, handles like Zinzan Brook and could play until he's as old as Simon Shaw.

Other than Gray, we should keep our bucks for backline spectaculars, who do not have any international call-ups. Just now apart from injuries, our production line is working just fine and if we can develop Quinn Roux in anything like the manner that Richardt Strauss has improved, the liklihood is that S African player agents will be banging on Mick Dawson's door with Saffa's, without a tan, who fancy a long international career.

But 2nd Row is the area we really lack the height and weight that other nations seem to have yards of. The Saxons can wheel out any number of large gentlemen, as can the French, at their leisure. Even the Scots, Welsh and Italians have a number of candidates, but we lack large men with strength and mobility, not to mention durability and hardness. Toner, Ryan, Tuohy and McCarthy will eventually have to fill the gap which Mal, POC and DOC have filled for a decade and a half. But for the next several (possibly 5) years, those four will fill the spaces unless we have a real discovery and it won't be easy.

On that basis alone, it is highly unlikely that the IRFU are going to allow any Irish Province recruit overseas second-rows in the foreseeable future, and why would they?[/quote]
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I think ror takes sick pleasure in just leaving these little tid-bits of information here and then watching the feeding frenzy...

:?
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

It's entirely possible that Gray has a relegation clause in his contract.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

[Jackass] wrote:I think ror takes sick pleasure in just leaving these little tid-bits of information here and then watching the feeding frenzy...

I have to say I didnt't expect this frenzy. I just wanted guys to know here that my info is that there is something going down in the 2nd row. I dont know if this one will come off but the key thing here is we are shopping. I suspect Leinster may follow the model of last year with Thorn by signing a Top name for a Short Burst.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

ror wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:I think ror takes sick pleasure in just leaving these little tid-bits of information here and then watching the feeding frenzy...

I have to say I didnt't expect this frenzy. I just wanted guys to know here that my info is that there is something going down in the 2nd row. I dont know if this one will come off but the key thing here is we are shopping. I suspect Leinster may follow the model of last year with Thorn by signing a Top name for a Short Burst.
Ah, it's fun to speculate especially after last year's speculation ended up with the most decorated lock possibly in the history of the game rocking up.

Ok, so a short term contract. That suggests Japan again then. Thorn is already signed for the Highlanders so he's out. Roussow is arriving in Toulon in February so it's not him. That leaves us with Tom Donnelly, Hayden Triggs and Isaac Ross. Triggs isn't capped so it probably isn't him.

I'm going to go with Isaac Ross. It's only one letter different from a current player so it will cut down on paperwork.

When is he arriving?
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

In todays Irish Times it says that Leinster went out on their own to find Bent, it was not the IRFU. With the new rules on NIQ players, the provinces, but more likely Leinster will be looking for other players from abroad who can play for Ireland. If they can find a tighthead playing provincial and super level rugby in NZ, they can find a lock.

Also, we have had huge success bringing in big players for a short burst in a season, that does not mean its going to work every time.

I'm also a little suspisous of ror, as I'd imagine Leinster are looking for a whole host of players on a constant basis, that are "not immediate" , dont they have full time employee's who do this full time. Its a bit like saying, I have an inside track that Joe Smidht is looking to put together a strong team for the 2012/13 season.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

there's a Declan Donnelly touring with the Maoiri this Autumn, he has to be eligible

Gray apparently chose Sale as it was driveable home and theyd release him for Scotland training

we did try to sign McCarthy before and he said no
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:there's a Declan Donnelly touring with the Maoiri this Autumn, he has to be eligible

Gray apparently chose Sale as it was driveable home and theyd release him for Scotland training

we did try to sign McCarthy before and he said no
He's played 7s for NZ.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

BlueBlue wrote: I'm also a little suspisous of ror, as I'd imagine Leinster are looking for a whole host of players on a constant basis, that are "not immediate" , dont they have full time employee's who do this full time. Its a bit like saying, I have an inside track that Joe Smidht is looking to put together a strong team for the 2012/13 season.
In fairness, ror holds substantial credability on the forum for his inside track. I don't think he'd want to lose that by blowing smoke up our ass and having Bails take over as "the insider". If there's a bit of juxtopositioning (did I make up that word or is my dyslexia playing up again as I can't spell) going on, then I'd say there's merit to what he says as a potential big development.

Or perhaps it is run of the mill stuff that has gotten out of hand, as we're so starved of good news that we're waiting for the news that Thorn is coming back and he had such nice stories to tell, his mate McCaw decided to come with him.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »