Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dexter wrote:
Lar wrote:Keith, there are a few Connacht fans who come on here so we can see what they say - not sure how many have been active lately.

Despite me being a Leinster fan I would like nothing more than for Connacht to develop into an equal power within the Irish game, and to challenge for trophies as regularly as Ulster, Munster and Leinster. But all of the provinces still rely on money they receive from the IRFU. I don't know the details on the figures but Connacht receive a fraction of what the other provinces get. That was my point. If technically Connacht are no longer termed a development province then I apologise if I caused offence but they are treated as one by the Union and that will remain the case as long as they are funded differently to the other provinces.
They are also not subject to the NIQ guidelines/rules/whatever are they?
I'd also love Connacht to do well but I was pretty disappointed with the post match reaction after the Leinster game in Galway - at a reception in the ground. Jason Harris-Wright seemed to be only one saying they can't heap all the blame on officials.
Connacht have their own set of NIQ rules

with the Samoan chap gone they have 6 NIQs of which 3 are projects (Heenan year 1, Poolman year 2, White year 3) and 3 NIE Naupou, Parks and Clarke who could all well be gone at the end of the season
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Quentin McDonald, the Kiwi we flirted with before Strauss had his remarkable recovery, has now signed for Munster

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/17125.php#.UwfigmJ_vag
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Hudson signed and gone at end of season.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

[Jackass] wrote:Hudson signed and gone at end of season.
To where?
I have Bumbleflex
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

England, don't know the club or if it's AP or Championship.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

[Jackass] wrote:England, don't know the club or if it's AP or Championship.
Cool, thanks. Bummer.
I have Bumbleflex
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

It's Bristol I think. They're top of the Championship, could well be Premiership next season.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

[Jackass] wrote:It's Bristol I think. They're top of the Championship, could well be Premiership next season.
Obviously due to his experience level at the moment he's not the biggest loss but it's still a big shame if he's going. I thought he could've done very well for leinster.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Is there even a hint of Leinster signing anyone for next season?
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

We'll definitely bring in a couple of signings I'd say. Of what stature and in what positions is obviously anyones guess at this stage. We'll have two NIQ's by the end of the season (Kirchner & Gopperth) and 1 project player with a season left before he becomes IQ (Roux), so at least 1 or 2 NIQ spots available.Personally I'd like to see us go for an international lock and a project player at centre or wing.

I don't know what quality is out there, but if we could unearth a Jarred Payne quality project player that would be nice.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

[Jackass] wrote:We'll definitely bring in a couple of signings I'd say. Of what stature and in what positions is obviously anyones guess at this stage. We'll have two NIQ's by the end of the season (Kirchner & Gopperth) and 1 project player with a season left before he becomes IQ (Roux), so at least 1 or 2 NIQ spots available.Personally I'd like to see us go for an international lock and a project player at centre or wing.

I don't know what quality is out there, but if we could unearth a Jarred Payne quality project player that would be nice.
We aren't holding onto Roux are we??
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Roux has another year but frankly he hasn't shown much to date to suggest he is upto the standard needed.

That Anthony Allen rumour died a death.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

[Jackass] wrote:We'll definitely bring in a couple of signings I'd say. Of what stature and in what positions is obviously anyones guess at this stage. We'll have two NIQ's by the end of the season (Kirchner & Gopperth) and 1 project player with a season left before he becomes IQ (Roux), so at least 1 or 2 NIQ spots available.Personally I'd like to see us go for an international lock and a project player at centre or wing.

I would prefer if we went for quality & experience in the centre, our conversion rate when it comes to picking project players has been ok- but the process has been a very long one (I'm looking at you Richardt, Stephen & Quinn).
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

theres still a bit of mystery over NIQ rules

do we get first dibs on NIQ 13 as Munster just lost Casey?
same for Munster on 12 if we dont retain Goodman?
are centres compartmentalised like that or is it theres 2 NIQ centres allowed

am assuming Ulster dont need any as fairly well stocked there
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Hudson has signed with Bristol confirmed. I suppose it will be announced at the end of the season.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I think those laws have somewhat been revised by the IRFU after provincial arguments on their strictness. Examples being Pienaar, Afoa and Botha all signing new contracts after it was announced.

It might be jumping the gun, as (if we're going to pigeon hole Fitzgerald and McFadden as wingers for a moment as their current preferred positions) we'll have 5 centres next season - D'Arcy, Mackin, Reid, Coughlin & O'Shea (with Tom Daly not far behind), so it's not the most fearsome part of the squad, in fact the weakest for depth as of next season. With D'Arcy off soon after it looks even more tame.

I completely agree with PegLeg that there's a very decent argument that could be made for an experienced 13 (in particular), but because of the talent coming through, maybe not the best batch of all time (VERY HAPPY to be proven wrong on any of them btw) it would be nice to try and get a long term option in there now, even a 25/26 year old uncappedsuper rugby player with bags of talent. Not easy to find, but that's what I'd look for.

The only other area of weakness in the squad is second row. We'll have Toner, McCarthy, Denton, Roux and Marshall (maybe - but will he stick around?) Granted we've some pretty decent prospects also in Thornburry and Moloney, but I think having three top class performers (i.e. another international lock) would deputize well along with Toner / McCarthy and a big impact option off the bench. It doesn't even need to be a super money move, I had Ryan Caldwell strongly in my mind, but seems he signed a contract extension. He would have been perfect imo for the type of player we want, strong track record and IQ.

Front row, back row, half backs, back three I think we're in pretty decent shape.

Only notes on that would be a decent back three players signing (even Niall Morris from Leicester maybe?) would free up Fitzgerald for an extended run at 13 also.

Half back, it's trusting Cooney and McGrath to step up and for a smooth transition into 1st / 2nd choice after Boss and Reddan and also the assumption that Madigan is having a bad first half of the season and will bounce back giving us two very good (if not top quality) options at 10, and then maybe Sexton to come home and see out his career after next season, with someone like Crosbie looking a great prospect at 10 coming through.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The words 'Ryan Caldwell' and 'strong IQ' in the same sentence? Does not compute!

We're in desperate need of a centre to come in, hopefully MOC and Easterbunny are trawling the S15 for guys just below the international radar.

Seen Tim Nanai Williams mentioned a few times for some reason. Too small and more of a winger for me, but I'm sure there are guys like him out there in NZ.

Wouldn't write off Goodman as being gone yet, but unlikely we'll be allowed to keep him, and given his age and the injury it'd be a risk.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Caldwell is the strongest option available to us for an IQ'd lock, him or Ian Nagle.

God knows what is happening with Ben Marshall.

Fitzgerald to 13 seems like the best move to me.

God I hope Sexton comes back.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

I'd take Caldwell, no bother. He's a decent enough player and he's IQ.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Danthefan wrote:I'd take Caldwell, no bother. He's a decent enough player and he's IQ.
exactly, he was going very well for Bath before injury hit him.. far better option than Denton/Roux.