Scarlets V Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Scarlets V Leinster

Post by Scott »

sontaran man1 wrote: I think if we can win on the weekend it will buy enough time to get the machine running again. purrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Agreed but it's such a big if. It's a must win game for them. They were well able to compete with Clermont in that first half and if they had a full 15 for the second half they may very well have returned home with a LB. So that's the level Scarlets are playing at. If we make as many errors as we did last Saturday we will be in a lot of trouble at parc y scarlets
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

Are we giving too much credit to ASM.
Last year they lost two away games against Ulster and Leicester, and won away to Aroni. you could say their only good result last year was their away QF against Sarries.
2010 They lost away to Racing & Lost away heavily to Leinster.
2009 Beat Viadana. Lost away to Leicester. Lost away to Ospreys

therefore their only away wins over the last three years have been against the lower ranked italian outfit and Sarries.

ASM will be hard pressed to get 19 points out of this campaign.

i would happily take a one point win from this game. would much rather an 8 point win because i think 20 points will be enough to top this group. Away win against scarlets and we on on track to top group
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Fireworks wrote:
sontaran man1 wrote:Exeter were ...very well organized in defense.I saw a lot from us to suggest were not far from clicking that maybe I couldn't see from the terrace.
I watched it as well and to me it looked like our defense had their number but our attack was rusty.
I listened to Rugby on OTB last week and something Toland said popped into my mind during Saturday's game. He thinks Leinster are tyring to introduce a change to the way they play. Rather than going wide at every opportunity there's a lot more attacking around the fringes. I noticed this on Saturday when first receiver seemed to try to find space beside the ruck on almost every phase. Discussing this afterwards with a mate we were trying to decide whether the lack of cutting edge in the attack was down to changing the way Leinster play, the players not having a lot of time together or just Exeter having a solid defence. It could, of course be a combination of any or all of those.

So does anyone think Toland is right? Are we seeing a sluggish start due to the introduction of a new game plan which is drawn out by the injury list?

(I've not watched any games back to see if there's any evidence of this which is why I'm asking here.)
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't really think we are changing things tbh. I just think that the difference is that we don't have SOB, Boss, Darce, Kearney or Nacewa running straight and hard down the middle. Might seem odd to include Boss but he does a great job of tying in the backrow and sniffing a gap at the breakdown. Hence why I'd like to see Darce back this weekend so that we could have Nacewa running from full back, even if it means Darce isn't quite as sharp as we'd like. McFadden has been pretty good in the last two games but still think we've missed Darce.

I think the general frustration with not gaining yards like we are used to has meant that we've resorted to forcing passes/offloads that aren't on and also to kicking quite a bit, and that was particularly bad on Saturday.

I think things will come good in time but I am worried about the Scarlets game.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Hrmmm, if Darce is fit, what do people think of him getting the 23 shirt? Start Ferg and move him to the wing if needs be during the game?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Broken Wing wrote:
Fireworks wrote:
sontaran man1 wrote:Exeter were ...very well organized in defense.I saw a lot from us to suggest were not far from clicking that maybe I couldn't see from the terrace.
I watched it as well and to me it looked like our defense had their number but our attack was rusty.
I listened to Rugby on OTB last week and something Toland said popped into my mind during Saturday's game. He thinks Leinster are tyring to introduce a change to the way they play. Rather than going wide at every opportunity there's a lot more attacking around the fringes. I noticed this on Saturday when first receiver seemed to try to find space beside the ruck on almost every phase. Discussing this afterwards with a mate we were trying to decide whether the lack of cutting edge in the attack was down to changing the way Leinster play, the players not having a lot of time together or just Exeter having a solid defence. It could, of course be a combination of any or all of those.

So does anyone think Toland is right? Are we seeing a sluggish start due to the introduction of a new game plan which is drawn out by the injury list?

(I've not watched any games back to see if there's any evidence of this which is why I'm asking here.)
I've noticed this (since hearing Toland) and came to the conclusion that they were certainly trying this a lot more to generate space (by drawing a lot more than usual to the fringes) for our wingers.
I'm thinking of big breaks by Ferg and Ross here- the failure seems to be in supporting these breaking runners (which is particularly sad if we can't keep up with Ross)
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Peg Leg wrote:I've noticed this (since hearing Toland) and came to the conclusion that they were certainly trying this a lot more to generate space (by drawing a lot more than usual to the fringes) for our wingers.
I'm thinking of big breaks by Ferg and Ross here- the failure seems to be in supporting these breaking runners (which is particularly sad if we can't keep up with Ross)
Was great to see Ross run with the ball actually, the last time I remember him breaking with the ball the poor guy looked like he was running in quicksand - looked a bit quicker this time.
Dont Panic!
thepunter
Bookworm

Post by thepunter »

Broken Wing wrote:
Fireworks wrote:

this is what Quins are currently doing and it's working for them for the most part. A REALLY interesting point to note though is that it didn't work for them against Exeter, when they lost by 14 points or so at Exeter with a full team, when Exeter were missing two of their true main men in Hayes and Scaysbrook. One of the many reasons we were on Exeter +17 last week to be honest
dropkickrugby.com/forum, Us lot bet on rugby
thepunter
Bookworm

Post by thepunter »

mtleinster wrote:Are we giving too much credit to ASM.
Last year they lost two away games against Ulster and Leicester, and won away to Aroni. you could say their only good result last year was their away QF against Sarries.

therefore their only away wins over the last three years have been against the lower ranked italian outfit and Sarries.

i would happily take a one point win from this game. would much rather an 8 point win because i think 20 points will be enough to top this group. Away win against scarlets and we on on track to top group
I think they do get too much credit, plus they have alot of injuries. With Hines possibly being cited now, they have serious problems away at Exeter in the rain as the lineout is one of their problems. People like Cudmore and Jacquet ( the little worm) just can't cut it. Call me crazy but i'd marginally favour Exeter at this point
dropkickrugby.com/forum, Us lot bet on rugby
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

(I've not watched any games back to see if there's any evidence of this which is why I'm asking here.)[/quote]
I've noticed this (since hearing Toland) and came to the conclusion that they were certainly trying this a lot more to generate space (by drawing a lot more than usual to the fringes) for our wingers.
I'm thinking of big breaks by Ferg and Ross here- the failure seems to be in supporting these breaking runners (which is particularly sad if we can't keep up with Ross)[/quote]

That is the key element for me this year- individuals getting over the gainline and support either too slow or too passive- resulting in either a turnover or just really slow unusable ball. We have other issues but these are the half chances that we have to convert into tries.
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

Ok, I'm pants at using the quote thing :oops:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Broken Wing wrote:
Fireworks wrote:

The thing to do if you want to quote more than 3 people is separate out one quote like this.
thepunter wrote:
this is what Quins are currently doing and it's working for them for the most part. A REALLY interesting point to note though is that it didn't work for them against Exeter, when they lost by 14 points or so at Exeter with a full team, when Exeter were missing two of their true main men in Hayes and Scaysbrook. One of the many reasons we were on Exeter +17 last week to be honest
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

Gotcha.

I think.

Thanks!
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Away guides should anyone be interested

Screen version: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/images/cont ... 2)_new.pdf

Print version: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/images/cont ... PR_new.pdf
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Jeez, getting nervous about this fixture already.

We lose this one and we're in the manure business.
3 Gold Stars
sontaran man1
Beginner

Post by sontaran man1 »

Scott wrote:
sontaran man1 wrote: I think if we can win on the weekend it will buy enough time to get the machine running again. purrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Agreed but it's such a big if. It's a must win game for them. They were well able to compete with Clermont in that first half and if they had a full 15 for the second half they may very well have returned home with a LB. So that's the level Scarlets are playing at. If we make as many errors as we did last Saturday we will be in a lot of trouble at parc y scarlets
Huge Scott, huge. But if we can get 4 outta that game I think its business as usual. We will play very very well this season at some point, lets hope its not to late when that happens. WE have won the important games when asked thus far (MUN/exeter). Just one more results should see the full compliment back with the likes of roux etc getting some game time and fitness back. Ditto SOB.
I'll say it again, Ferg at 12 means we have an excellent replacement for Darcy who has had little or no game time and I wouldn't expect him to start the weekend.
SC4 commentator on Leinster v Cardiff 27/10/2012

" Its 15 v 14 after that yellow card.........................it might as well be 50 v 14"
sontaran man1
Beginner

Post by sontaran man1 »

AdamK wrote:Hrmmm, if Darce is fit, what do people think of him getting the 23 shirt? Start Ferg and move him to the wing if needs be during the game?
Yarp!

" Its 15 v 14 after that yellow card.........................it might as well be 50 v 14"
sontaran man1
Beginner

Post by sontaran man1 »

thepunter wrote:
mtleinster wrote:Are we giving too much credit to ASM.

I think they do get too much credit, plus they have alot of injuries. With Hines possibly being cited now, they have serious problems away at Exeter in the rain as the lineout is one of their problems. People like Cudmore and Jacquet ( the little worm) just can't cut it. Call me crazy but i'd marginally favour Exeter at this point
If Exeter do ASM the winner could be on 15/16 points.
They must be on cloud 9 after saturday and their season in partciular.
Were steeped were going there last.

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

People often rattle out that well worn cliche about playing your best players in their best positions, and while I don't know that it applies all the time, it does apply here to a certain extent. If Kearney is out, as expected, then I prefer a backline of (i) Nacewa, Conway, BOD, D'Arcy, McFadden to (ii) Madigan, Conway, BOD, McFadden, Nacewa, or (iii) Nacewa, Conway, BOD, McFadden, Carr.

Yes, McFadden has been playing well, and he deserves to start at 12, but I don't want Madigan to start at 15, and I don't want Carr to start at 11. Them's the breaks Ferg. It's all about the team.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I wonder if DK has noticed that Ferg has put in 2 pretty decent shifts at 12 in the past 2 weeks? I still can't quite believe he's never even considered him at 12.

I'd honestly be very reluctant to start D'Arce, with so little game time this season, in a very important game. All depends on how he goes in training I suppose but if he's not fully fit (as opposed to match fit) than he shouldn't start. Can't afford to be carrying someone in midfield with the strike runners Llanelli have at their disposal.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.