Heineken Cup - Leinster V ASM Clermont Auvergne

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

nc6000
Mullet

Re: Heineken Cup - Leinster V ASM Clermont Auvergne

Post by nc6000 »

Don't forget the Truffade. I'm guessing they'll be selling this at the Christmas Market near the Cathedral again. We had this a few times in 2010 washed down with some Vin Chaud, can't go wrong.

AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Jealous!!
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

johng wrote:
Degz wrote:As I've said before, we're fighting for a best second place spot. The way we're playing, we'll be lucky to avoid a hockeying in Montferrand - although I assume that propect will gee up performances levels a notch or two.
Negative chyte. Can't be doing with it. We are not going over there to lie down, and the lads will not give up the European title easily.

OK we're not favourites over there. But we can certainly go over there and take them. We nearly did it last time bar a disallowed Shane Jennings try and a bit of luck. We had just as many backline injuries then too.
Honestly, I don't see how my own view of how it will go should influence the outcome? I'll be mightily pissed off if they go over with any other mindset then to get the four points. Also, I find that a bit of the old underdog status gets me, personally, extra hyped for the game, increasing my noise contribution.

Anyhow, I hope you're right, but whether or not we have the same level of injuries, we just have not been playing well this season. Yes we're still in both competitions, but there has been nothing like the joie de vivre to our play. Here's hoping Seany's return can inject that spark that has been missing.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

nc6000 wrote:Don't forget the Truffade. I'm guessing they'll be selling this at the Christmas Market near the Cathedral again. We had this a few times in 2010 washed down with some Vin Chaud, can't go wrong.

Nice one. We had that in Brive and Castres and it was absolutely fantastic!!! And of course Vin Chaud, the perfect accompaniment to any good tour breakfast.
:wink:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

johng wrote:things not always they seem. I'll be there to you that fact

believe
+1
But negativity is a protection mechanism for the Irishman -though seemingly not Irishwomen. It's always comforting to cry yourself into the depths of despair- feels even better if you win. And- in addition, there’s the kudos that men attach to the circumspect. If you are right, you can parade your lack of naivety and sagacity compared to the foolish optimists. If you're right- no one will bother to critique your 'natural caution'.

But com'n lads- pessimism can be a self-fulfilling prophesy. We will have a good perfromancre and could very well win. Clermont will fear us too. Let's have the faith to match the passion we have for this great team. They've done wondrous things in the recent past; let's give them the benefit - not of the doubt, but of their due.
Com'n Leinster!!!
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

I don't do pessimism. I always head to a game believing we will win (except once, HEC Q/F 2005). I've been right most times.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

artaneboy wrote:
johng wrote:things not always they seem. I'll be there to you that fact

believe
+1
But negativity is a protection mechanism for the Irishman -though seemingly not Irishwomen. It's always comforting to cry yourself into the depths of despair- feels even better if you win. And- in addition, there’s the kudos that men attach to the circumspect. If you are right, you can parade your lack of naivety and sagacity compared to the foolish optimists. If you're right- no one will bother to critique your 'natural caution'.

But com'n lads- pessimism can be a self-fulfilling prophesy. We will have a good perfromancre and could very well win. Clermont will fear us too. Let's have the faith to match the passion we have for this great team. They've done wondrous things in the recent past; let's give them the benefit - not of the doubt, but of their due.
Com'n Leinster!!!
SAGACITY!!!! SAGA CITY!!! wtf? surely such a word does not exist in Artane let alone D4. VERBOSITY.. now there's a word.

BTW the team always seem to rise to these tough fixtures. The forwards dictate who wins, the backs dictate by how much, or something like that. For once we are weak in the backs but look at the forwards we are bringing to Clermont. Believe FFS!
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

We haven't lost in Europe in 2 years. In that time, we've won 2 Finals, beaten Leicester, Toulouse and Clermont (home and away), recorded the biggest comeback in Final history and won by the biggest margain and scored the most points in Final history.

Lose? Pfft. I say we'll never lose again. Certainly not to Clermont. We've beaten this shower in SMM, Bordeaux, RDS and Aviva. They don't know how to beat us.

Leinster by a score. No doubt.
Rémy63
Bookworm

Post by Rémy63 »

suisse wrote:We haven't lost in Europe in 2 years. In that time, we've won 2 Finals, beaten Leicester, Toulouse and Clermont (home and away), recorded the biggest comeback in Final history and won by the biggest margain and scored the most points in Final history.

Lose? Pfft. I say we'll never lose again. Certainly not to Clermont. We've beaten this shower in SMM, Bordeaux, RDS and Aviva. They don't know how to beat us.

Like in December 2010 ?
"Worst Olympic Game Ever"
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Rémy63 wrote:
suisse wrote:We haven't lost in Europe in 2 years. In that time, we've won 2 Finals, beaten Leicester, Toulouse and Clermont (home and away), recorded the biggest comeback in Final history and won by the biggest margain and scored the most points in Final history.

Like in December 2010 ?
Since we got a losing bonus point, we count that as a 'moral victory'! :D :wink:
Tom from Montferrand
Learner

Post by Tom from Montferrand »

You sound pretty much like a Munster fan from the mid 2000's.
Rémy63
Bookworm

Post by Rémy63 »

Tom from Montferrand wrote:

Maybe a future Ulster fan :green clap:
"Worst Olympic Game Ever"
Tom from Montferrand
Learner

Rémy63 wrote:

Hopefully a future Clermont Fan :lol: :lol: :lol:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Rémy63 wrote:
Hopefully a future Clermont Fan :lol: :lol: :lol:
Liginds :lol:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I wouldn't take Suisse's post too seriously. If you look at the time he posted it, it's about the time the bars close in Korea, where he lives. :lol:
Tom from Montferrand
Learner

Donny B. wrote:

I wouldn't take Suisse's post too seriously. If you look at the time he posted it, it's about the time the bars close in Korea, where he lives. :lol:
Ah that would be the explanation :lol: In 3 ASM-Leinster games I'd never met an arrogant leinster fan so I was pretty sur it was a joke...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Should be a cracker. Last team to beat us in Europe was Clermont 2 years ago (in that stadium). It is over 3 years, and more than 50 games since they were beaten at home in any comp.

In 10 days time one of those proud records will have gone.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

unless it's a draw ??
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I'd bite your hand off for a draw. If we could then win the home game by a point, that would give us a 1 point lead going into the last 2 rounds. Also would give us the better of the back to backs so they would have to get 2 points more than us in the final 2 rounds to top the group. Deny them an LBP in Lansdowne, or score one ourselves, and we would just need 2 scrappy wins in the last 2 to take the group.

But I am getting waaaaay ahead of myself here.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Yep, let's just beat Zebre first. :)