Heineken Cup - Leinster V ASM Clermont Auvergne

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Heineken Cup - Leinster V ASM Clermont Auvergne

Post by simonokeeffe »

any Munster match tends to have a good atmosphere there, although thats waning a bit, albeit not the same as RDS
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

cormac wrote:
Tom from Montferrand wrote:Yes... and my flight home was postponed for 24H which led to another night in the streets of Dublin and a lot of additional damage to my liver...

But when I wrote cold, I was referring to the general athmosphere, which seemed a little colder since I couldn't hear the crowd cheer as much as in the RDS, and also because the players were further away for me. Though the outside temperature must have helped set the mood ;)
The atmosphere in the Aviva is rarely as good as the RDS. For starters, there are no standing areas in the Aviva unlike the RDS. You also get a number of "theatre-goers" at the Aviva, people who aren't big Leinster fans who only go for the event. They tend not to be very vocal so the atmosphere is dissipated in a large stadium. The only game at the Aviva where I can remember a really good atmosphere was the Toulouse semi-final.
Ah the Leicester q4 before hand was also rocking. So was the England 6N game in 2011. It's all about the context.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'm dreading this game in a lot of ways. I don't think we can go through without an absolute minimum of a losing bonus point, and (i) we're missing so many critical players, (ii) We have critical players without enough game time, and (iii) We have been playing badly.

I can't call the backline at all. I'd much rather have Nacewa at 15 though, but then I can't figure out who would be from 11-14. Maybe Goodman and D'Arcy at 12 and 13, with Ferg and Kearney on the wings. Hard to call. No way O'Malley or Fitzgerald will start at this stage.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

CiaranIrl wrote:I'm dreading this game in a lot of ways. I don't think we can go through without an absolute minimum of a losing bonus point, and (i) we're missing so many critical players, (ii) We have critical players without enough game time, and (iii) We have been playing badly.

I can't call the backline at all. I'd much rather have Nacewa at 15 though, but then I can't figure out who would be from 11-14. Maybe Goodman and D'Arcy at 12 and 13, with Ferg and Kearney on the wings. Hard to call. No way O'Malley or Fitzgerald will start at this stage.
Gawd- take it easy there- sounds like a breakdown in the making! I think its a great challenge but don't agree with your dread or a lot of your analysis.

Firstly, I don't think we necessarily need a bonus point in Clermont. And if we fail to defeat them in France- and I certainly don't rule that out, it's a two-match series and if we can match them ovr the series we have an excellent chance of topping the group- depnding of course on our mutual subsequent matches with Exeter and Scarlets.

Secondly, while we are missing critical plkayers and some of the ones that are available will be less than match-fit- I think we will have a decent team- with belief in their abaility to go to Clermont and get a result. And obviously, the reason we are playing less that the perfection we desire- is that we are short players. I'd play with a hard-tackling backline in France- your suggestions are close to what's needed in the three-quarters, and focus on matching their physicality in the pack. With Bent we should have the two complete sets of front-rowers needed to last the distance. I think Browne and Leo behind them and Toner coming in on the 60 minute mark. Jamie, Seanie and Jenno in the back-row- Kev and Jordi coming in later. Boss and Sexton as half backs. Not too shabby to get a line-up to get at least a point.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

artaneboy wrote: Gawd- take it easy there- sounds like a breakdown in the making! I think its a great challenge but don't agree with your dread or a lot of your analysis.

Firstly, I don't think we necessarily need a bonus point in Clermont. And if we fail to defeat them in France- and I certainly don't rule that out, it's a two-match series and if we can match them ovr the series we have an excellent chance of topping the group- depnding of course on our mutual subsequent matches with Exeter and Scarlets.

Secondly, while we are missing critical plkayers and some of the ones that are available will be less than match-fit- I think we will have a decent team- with belief in their abaility to go to Clermont and get a result. And obviously, the reason we are playing less that the perfection we desire- is that we are short players. I'd play with a hard-tackling backline in France- your suggestions are close to what's needed in the three-quarters, and focus on matching their physicality in the pack. With Bent we should have the two complete sets of front-rowers needed to last the distance. I think Browne and Leo behind them and Toner coming in on the 60 minute mark. Jamie, Seanie and Jenno in the back-row- Kev and Jordi coming in later. Boss and Sexton as half backs. Not too shabby to get a line-up to get at least a point.
Clermont are not going to lose at home to Exeter, so if we don't get a losing bonus point, they'll be 6 points ahead of us, and we'll be relying on the Scarlets to beat them in Wales on the final day, assuming we beat them, and assuming we win all our own games and match them for 4 try bonus points.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Tom from Montferrand
Learner

Post by Tom from Montferrand »

Well if the two-match series is a draw and we win the last 2 games with bonus points you still have a good chance of qualifying as runner-ups don't you ? Especially if you manage to secure a losing BP in Clermont.

It would be a shame to have HCUP 1/4 finals without a team like yours.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

As I've said before, we're fighting for a best second place spot. The way we're playing, we'll be lucky to avoid a hockeying in Montferrand - although I assume that propect will gee up performances levels a notch or two.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I'm optimistic today, do feel free to join in!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:I'm optimistic today, do feel free to join in!!
Me too. Kidney has shown us how to get the best out of our players so hopefully Joe can take a leaf out of his book.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Degz wrote:As I've said before, we're fighting for a best second place spot. The way we're playing, we'll be lucky to avoid a hockeying in Montferrand - although I assume that propect will gee up performances levels a notch or two.
Negative chyte. Can't be doing with it. We are not going over there to lie down, and the lads will not give up the European title easily.

OK we're not favourites over there. But we can certainly go over there and take them. We nearly did it last time bar a disallowed Shane Jennings try and a bit of luck. We had just as many backline injuries then too.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

johng wrote:
Degz wrote:As I've said before, we're fighting for a best second place spot. The way we're playing, we'll be lucky to avoid a hockeying in Montferrand - although I assume that propect will gee up performances levels a notch or two.
Negative chyte. Can't be doing with it. We are not going over there to lie down, and the lads will not give up the European title easily.

OK we're not favourites over there. But we can certainly go over there and take them. We nearly did it last time bar a disallowed Shane Jennings try and a bit of luck. We had just as many backline injuries then too.
And what a great game that was. I was expecting very little. What have the team got to produce in order for us to have faith in their ability to raise their games?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

johng wrote:

In all honesty, I think we could get a bit of a kicking. If you look at the team from our last match out there:

15: Isa Nacewa
14: Shane Horgan
13: Eoin O'Malley
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Fergus McFadden
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Isaac Boss (Eoin Reddan, 61)

1: Heinke van der Merwe (Cian Healy, 54)
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross (Clint Newland, 70)
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Nathan Hines
6: Sean O'Brien
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip (Dominic Ryan, 42)

The backline was probably stronger than anything we'll get out on for this match. To add to that, our back row and scrum half (and Hines) were working well, so we were very very defensively solid. At this point of the season, we simply haven't got going due to injuries and internationals and our team is totally patched up. ASM haven't lost a home European match in Marcel Michelin since 2008 and we're travelling with a patched up and out of form team. Let's be honest, while I obviously hope we win (and I'll be there shouting on the boys), the signs are not good......
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

things not always they seem. I'll be there to you that fact

believe
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

johng wrote:things not always they seem. I'll be there to you that fact

believe
Bit early for the sauce isn't it Johng? :D
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

All we need to do is tap into the feel-good factor from the Ireland win against Argentina and we're laughing.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

AdamK wrote:

believe
when I typed that on my phone the words "remind you of" were in there
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Sure they were Rummy. ;)
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

McF and O'M were both seen as kids for this game. you could say it was the making of both of their reputations
Who's turn is it to step up this time? My guess is Benty

13: Eoin O'Malley
11: Fergus McFadden
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

nc6000 wrote:All we need to do is tap into the feel-good factor from the Ireland win against Argentina and we're laughing.
Yeah, Deccie's Ireland to lead poor old Leinster and Ulster out of the slump they've been in for years!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

johng wrote:
AdamK wrote:

believe
when I typed that on my phone the words "remind you of" were in there
Does your phone have a big circular thing on the front that you you rotate clockwise to make a call? :wink:

Hey, I hope you're right believe me. I'm just glad that the cheese is good in Auvergne because it may be the highpoint of the weekend.....

Don't forget to bring your ear plugs!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us