Heineken Cup - Leinster V ASM Clermont Auvergne

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Tom from Montferrand
Learner

Re: Heineken Cup - Leinster V ASM Clermont Auvergne

Post by Tom from Montferrand »

By the way, a quick question to the Dubliners : we'll be looking for pubs and places to go out in Dublin this week-end. Any suggestions ?
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Tom from Montferrand wrote:By the way, a quick question to the Dubliners : we'll be looking for pubs and places to go out in Dublin this week-end. Any suggestions ?
Just before the match, or for the weekend as a whole? Where in Dublin are you staying?
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

By the way, a quick question to the Dubliners : we'll be looking for pubs and places to go out in Dublin this week-end. Any suggestions ?
If your tickets are for the East or North stands then Slattery's Bath Avenue, The Bath, The Chop House and Ryan's Beggars Bush are all very close to the ground and there will be a good atmosphere around them. They are all very close together.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Tom,

Have you thought about the "12 Pubs of Christmas" tradition? One beer per pub, 12 pubs in central Dublin to be visited. There's a thread on it in the General Chat Section, with lots of suggestions.

After the game, you are best to stick to the pubs in Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Baggot St. triangle. They'll all be very busy with fans.
Tom from Montferrand
Learner

TheBear wrote:
Tom from Montferrand wrote:By the way, a quick question to the Dubliners : we'll be looking for pubs and places to go out in Dublin this week-end. Any suggestions ?
Just before the match, or for the weekend as a whole? Where in Dublin are you staying?
Well both :D We're staying close to Temple Bar but the place is a bit touristy to my taste (although I've had some very good times there), so I was looking for something more "local".

Thanks to all of you who already replied !
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Tom from Montferrand wrote:
TheBear wrote:
Well both :D We're staying close to Temple Bar but the place is a bit touristy to my taste (although I've had some very good times there), so I was looking for something more "local".

Thanks to all of you who already replied !
On matchday, stay around the Ballsbridge/Upper Baggot St area near the stadium. Loads of pubs in the area and it's where the Leinster fans will be drinking. They're also pretty much guaranteed to be showing the other HEC games on the television before and after our match. They'll be busy but it's usually not that hard to get a drink reasonably quickly.

If you're out on the Friday night and don't want to visit the tourist pubs in Temple Bar, you could try the numerous pubs off Grafton St or somewhere like Camden St which is a bit more music oriented.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Agree with Cormac's post, Tom. In particular I would mention the Horse Show House, which is a bit separate from the other pubs across from the RDS. But it's been a home to the supporters club for years and they always look after us well. Lots of the posters on here will be in there afterwards I'd say.

And you're completely right about Temple Bar, a horrible kip. The pubs around Merrion Row and Baggot Street would also be a good option for Friday as well as Cormac's suggestions.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Edna Kenny wrote:
If your tickets are for the East or North stands then Slattery's Bath Avenue, The Bath, The Chop House and Ryan's Beggars Bush are all very close to the ground and there will be a good atmosphere around them. They are all very close together.
Is that where Murray's used to be?
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

To add a few suggestions,

Most of the pubs in Temple Bar are over priced Tourist Traps, that said a good time can defiantly be had. The "most real" pub there would be The Palace Bar at the East end. Also worth visit for a "good Guinness" would be Mulligans of Poolbeg St (Google map it 250m or so SE of O'Connell Bridge(Big main bridge over Liffey).

Grafton St is a main shopping area and pedestrianised. It has no pubs but if you were to start at one end and go down every side st you pass for a pint you would take in a good selection of "local" pubs including Nearys, Keoghs, The Duke, McDaids.

Baggot St/Merrion Row as mentioned would be good Friday or post match Saturday establishments such as O'Donoghues/Doheny &Nesbits and Toners

Pre Match drinking tends to be in Two areas, Top of Bath Avenue or Ballsbridge, depending on where your tickets are for might determine this. 10 min walk between or an extra pre game pint. Good hand full of pubs in each area. Expect crowds and to be drinking outside in plastic cups. A few hotels in the area usually have beer tents with live music in their car parks too

Post match a leisurely pub crawl along baggot st is your best way back to the city center.
Last edited by R-Dog on December 14th, 2012, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom from Montferrand
Learner

Well thanks a lot to everyone !

If I go to every pub you've mentioned and have a pint I'll definitely have a good time. :lol:

I'm starting to wish for a Leinster victory so people will be happy to buy me drinks... :D
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

All I have to add is that drinking in Dublin is still very expensive, even though we no longer have any money. Don't be surprised to be charged extra per drink after a certain hour (it varies from place to place). There'll be barbecues, hog roasts and the like offered by a fair few bars in the Ballsbridge area. While not haute cuisine, it's a lot better than the stuff you'll get in the stadium.

It takes about 30 minutes to walk around the stadium as a whole, so I'd follow the advice to pick your pre-match drinking spot based on which route you have to follow to go in. Your ticket will indicate which route you're on. I'd suggest Ballsbridge (Paddy Cullen's, Mary Mac's and Crowe's) for the Lansdowne Road entrance, Horse Show House, one of the hotels along Herbert Road or the above for the Herbert Road entrance. Slattery's Bath Avenue, The Bath, The Chop House and Ryan's Beggars Bush (all near the end of Bath Avenue) for Bath Avenue and Podium entrances, and any of the above for the Lansdowne Lane entrance.

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TheBear wrote: It takes about 30 minutes to walk around the stadium as a whole,
If you are more than 80 years of age.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

johng wrote:
Allowing for mild drunkity, crowds and the stupid restrictions on pedestrians, if you're going by road (rather than inside the stadium), I'd say 30 isn't far off the mark.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TheBear wrote:
johng wrote:
Allowing for mild drunkity, crowds and the stupid restrictions on pedestrians, if you're going by road (rather than inside the stadium), I'd say 30 isn't far off the mark.
I suppose. Sounds like a lot though.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Anyone know when the team is announced, tomorrow lunch time? thought it was usually two before for HCup
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Friday 12:00pm for the team announcement, has to be announced by midday the day before the game.

Tweet from Sinead Kissane (presumably from a Leinster press conference) that DK and EOM are available for selection. Decision to be made on KMcL tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/sineadkissane/statu ... 9803535360
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

47,500 tickets sold now. It's meant to be a nice afternoon, sunny and 8/9 degrees. Come on, let's fill the place!
Jaunard
Learner

Post by Jaunard »

Tom from Montferrand wrote:Well thanks a lot to everyone !

If I go to every pub you've mentioned and have a pint I'll definitely have a good time. :lol:

I'm starting to wish for a Leinster victory so people will be happy to buy me drinks... :D
and we're trying to make the world believe we're actually not the ultimate misers everybody says we are :P
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Donny B. wrote:
Is that where Murray's used to be?
It certainly is. Its licence renewal was the subject of quite a few objections I understand.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
awaaf
Bookworm

Post by awaaf »

I think I heard on the radio that the Dodder flood gates may be closed over the weekend due to flooding potential at high tides. The path along the Dodder from the railway to Ballsbridge seems to be blocked at the railway bridge for works in any case but I guess the path from the dodder bridge at Marian College towards Ringsend may be closed. Not sure if it will cause any major inconvenience but just mentioning it just in case.