Heineken Cup - Leinster V ASM Clermont Auvergne

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Heineken Cup - Leinster V ASM Clermont Auvergne

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:‘Christmas Craictacular’
My ole buddy Mark Robson on a copy writing gig with Leinster?
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

Tempo, tempo, tempo. Last time they were over here we ran the legs off them. Eoin Reddan had possibly his best game for Leinster and moved the ball from the ruck with pace and precision all day long. Has to be the same template for this game. Has to be. Jennings to start with that in mid also. And Strauss, whatever about last week's wobbles.

Do we have the backline to cause the same carnage we did in 2010? Not sure. Just one of O'Malley and Dave Kearney back would enable a few players to move back to their best position. We currently have everyone bar Goodman playing out of position in the backline at the moment.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Donny B. wrote:cr@p news about Locky but Joe may have been thinking of bringing Jenno back anyway with Seanie moving to blindside. We've got to go hard and fast at this guys on Saturday with Reddan starting too.
Didn't really think Locky would be available this weekend. Doesn't even sound too hopeful on DK and EOM. Nor Luke.

That's Leinster's version of mind games, not suggesting someone might be too injured to play and then they waltz onto the pitch, but suggesting week after week that players are on the cusp of return only for them not to play.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Donny B. wrote:cr@p news about Locky but Joe may have been thinking of bringing Jenno back anyway with Seanie moving to blindside. We've got to go hard and fast at this guys on Saturday with Reddan starting too.
Didn't really think Locky would be available this weekend. Doesn't even sound too hopeful on DK and EOM. Nor Luke.

That's Leinster's version of mind games, not suggesting someone might be too injured to play and then they waltz onto the pitch, but suggesting week after week that players are on the cusp of return only for them not to play.
The weekly squad updates are so close to fiction, that I don't think anyone takes them seriously anymore. Either they're purposely misleading or whoever puts them together should be sacked for incompetence.

No mention of HVDM in todays mis-information: injured? fit? on holidays? compassionate leave?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

deco wrote: No mention of HVDM
V Strange. No Comment on him being out last week either. Hopefully it's just mind games. They have him in a cage and are tormenting him and showing him pictures of Clermont tight heads.
Any news on Zero Cash Filly? He didn't look the best going off on Sunday
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Appears to be fine. James, Cudmore and Rougerie all sat out training today for Clermont.
Rémy63
Bookworm

Post by Rémy63 »

ceemec wrote:Appears to be fine. James, Cudmore and Rougerie all sat out training today for Clermont.

Yes, all rested today. Malzieu is definetly back at the training and available for saturday's clash :D
"Worst Olympic Game Ever"
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

johng wrote:
V Strange. No Comment on him being out last week either. Hopefully it's just mind games. They have him in a cage and are tormenting him and showing him pictures of Clermont tight heads.
I read last week, somewhere, that Hank should be available for the return game. Funny there's no mention of him though.
Dont Panic!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Rémy63 wrote:
ceemec wrote:Appears to be fine. James, Cudmore and Rougerie all sat out training today for Clermont.

Yes, all rested today. Malzieu is definetly back at the training and available for saturday's clash :D
To be honest, I'd be very happy if Malzieu started. He has been out for a long time and cannot be near fit especially for a game that will be as intense as this. Putting him in the side would be a mistake by Cotter, I think. Sivivatu and Nalaga are both in good form and fully fit. I can't see either of them being benched. To be honest, most of the back line don't worry me too much. I think we can shut them down. Fofana and Byrne give me cause for worry though. Byrne gives Clermont something different with an aerial threat and Fofana is a wonderful player. I think we shut down Rougerie, Nalaga and Sivivatu quite well though.
Pure Blue
Beginner

Post by Pure Blue »

Speaking of Luke, I was gratified to see him on the pitch kicking to Fergus, he also completed water carrier duties... Good also to note Nathan Hines breaking away from his pre-match warm-up to cross 20 meters to our side of the pitch to shake Luke's hand... The welcome received from the Claremont Supporters was heart warming....

Allez les Bleus...est apres... allez les Juains
Pure Blue
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Pure Blue wrote:Speaking of Luke, I was gratified to see him on the pitch kicking to Fergus, he also completed water carrier duties... Good also to note Nathan Hines breaking away from his pre-match warm-up to cross 20 meters to our side of the pitch to shake Luke's hand... The welcome received from the Claremont Supporters was heart warming....

Allez les Bleus...est apres... allez les Juains

Tribute to Leo

In Clermont's fair city, where people love rugby
I first set my eyes on sweet Leinster Lions
i saw Some strange arrow through rucks broad and narrow
Crying Cullen and O'Brien offside offside O!

Offside offside O! offside offside O!
Crying Cullen and O'Brien offside offside O!

We are really all about to die.

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

johng wrote:
I can neither confirm nor deny the cage story, but he is in the random publicity pics (far left) from the signing of the Leinster VW deal, so he's definitely in the country.

Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Dexter wrote:
johng wrote:
I read last week, somewhere, that Hank should be available for the return game. Funny there's no mention of him though.
there was something in Saturday's paper about him having a shoulder injury but would be fine for the aviva
mfjoc
Graduate

Post by mfjoc »

johng wrote:
Mentioned on newstalk that he was available for selection this week after being "rested" last weekend
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mfjoc wrote:
johng wrote:
Mentioned on newstalk that he was available for selection this week after being "rested" last weekend
Cian Healy probably threatened management that he would batter them if they didn't give him the full 80. :)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

HVDM trained today
I have Bumbleflex
illthinkofsomething
Bookworm

Post by illthinkofsomething »

Jaunard wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:BTW, Ravenhill too small capacity to house ERC Q/F. It would have to be AVIVA!
Really ?
What's the minimum capacity for QF then ?
Was pissed enough we had to do our home SF away from home last year.
Semi cant be in the normal ground, a "home semi" can be in the country of the home team but not the stadium
2009 2011 2012
Lions me hole, I have no interest in watching Irishmen getting injured playing for England in Welsh shirts....it has a ring of the Somme to it
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

mtleinster wrote:As at today, the ranking is

Team Pts
Quins 14
ASM Clermont 14
Ulster 14
Toulouse 13
Toulon 13
Saracens 10
Munster 10
Tigers 10
Leinster 9
Connacht 8
Montpellier 8
Racing Métro 8
Castres 8
Saints 6
Ospreys 5
Biarritz 5
Chiefs 5
Sharks 4
Scarlets 2
Blues 1
Glasgow 1
Treviso 0
Zebre 0
Edinburgh 0

so we will be losing Sarries, Munster or Leicester should we go through
I don't see anyone below us getting ahead of us. Outside chance on Montpellier doing so, but it's more likely that they'll drop points from their remaining games. Ideally, whoever wins between Saracens & Munster doesn't give up a losing bonus point. If we can beat Clermont, we'll be into a best runner up spot, and we'll be in a good position to keep a hold of it. Exeter away is going to be a tough game, but if we are going into that game knowing that a win means a QF place, then I think we can do it.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Flash Gordon wrote:Back from a very noisy Clermont and really looking forward to the game - ASM were dead physically and mentally at the end of the game and though they are an excellent team, I don't think we should fear anybody. So if we can get out of our group I'd take any draw to be honest.

On the match itself, I thought our center partnership looked strained defending and attacking. Goodman runs into contact, that is not the Leinster way. And Rougerie put us under a lot of pressure. I'm just glad the boys in the backrow did so much work.....

Not sure what went on with the lineout. I was thinking with Toner and Strauss coming on that ball retention was a cast iron certainty. Not sure where the blame lies but if memory serves, Leo didn't call one ball to Toner....or at least Toner didn't get off the ground (is he too heavy?).

As an aisde, Ross and Church were immense. Seeing a French scrum going backwards on their own patch like that is unprecidented. Fantastic to see.

Good to see Luke togged out and involved in the warm up too!

Can't wait for the match.
I think there is a decent chance the noise in the stadium made the calls hard to hear. I know Cronin did well in the line outs, but that doesn't mean Strauss heard the calls properly. Both teams lost ball on their own throw. It is entirely possible that Leo called to the front and Strauss misheard him.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

illthinkofsomething wrote:
Jaunard wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:BTW, Ravenhill too small capacity to house ERC Q/F. It would have to be AVIVA!
Really ?
What's the minimum capacity for QF then ?
Was pissed enough we had to do our home SF away from home last year.
Semi cant be in the normal ground, a "home semi" can be in the country of the home team but not the stadium
Bah, I learn all of these complicated rules every year only to forget them almost immediately after the tournament is over.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.