Heineken Cup - Leinster V ASM Clermont Auvergne

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Heineken Cup - Leinster V ASM Clermont Auvergne

Post by johng »

15000 for a QF. 20000 for a SF. The ground for the semi can be ANY ground of that capacity or greater in your home country that the ERC approve. EXCEPT your "home" ground. Which is the RDS in our case. This allows us to have QFs and Semis in Lansdowne rd.

I think the 15000 for the qf is relatively recent.

The reason I always remember these rules is that EVERY year someone comes on either not knowing them or getting them wrong. The most common one is people saying "you can't have a quarter and a semi in the same ground"
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Assuming Locky isn't fit:

1 Healy, 2 Strauss, 3 Ross, 4 Leo, 5 Dev, 6 SO'B, 7 Jenno, 8 Heaslip, 9 Reddan, 10 Sexton, 11 Isa, 12 Goodman, 13 D'Arcy, 14 Ferg, 15 Madigan, 16 Cronin, 17 VDM, 18 Bent, 19 Browne, 20 Ruddock, 21 Boss, 22 Conway, 23 Dave K (if fit)

Move their big fellas around as much as we can to tire them out. Nothing wrong with simple through the hands movement to get Isa and Ferg on the ball in space.
Last edited by Cianostays on December 12th, 2012, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Jaunard
Learner

Post by Jaunard »

Rémy63 wrote:
ceemec wrote:Appears to be fine. James, Cudmore and Rougerie all sat out training today for Clermont.

Yes, all rested today. Malzieu is definetly back at the training and available for saturday's clash :D
(tries to conceal laughter)

Let's be serious. Malzieu will never be ready for saturday.
But Buttin could be.

Honestly, we have no idea who will be in the starting 15. There is a big debate among ourselves, some would like to see some fresh blood, some would like a more defensive lineup, some bet on all-out attacking squad.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Cianostays wrote:Assuming Locky isn't fit:

1 Healy, 2 Strauss, 3 Ross, 4 Leo, 5 Dev, 6 SO'B, 7 Jenno, 8 Heaslip, 9 Reddan, 10 Sexton, 11 Isa, 12 Goodman, 13 D'Arcy, 14 Ferg, 15 Madigan, 16 Cronin, 17 VDM, 18 Bent, 19 Browne, 20 Ruddock, 21 Reddan, 22 Conway, 23 Dave K (if fit)

Move their big fellas around as much as we can to tire them out. Nothing wrong with simple through the hands movement to get Isa and Ferg on the ball in space.
Why doesn't Cronin start. Played very well- in all aspects last Sunday; while Strauss had a wobbler. In fairness there's not that much between them whren both are on form and, whatever about strategic tweaking when both are in good nick, I think Joe will reward the clearly better form in this case.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

VGE wrote:

Tribute to Leo

In Clermont's fair city, where people love rugby
I first set my eyes on sweet Leinster Lions
i saw Some strange arrow through rucks broad and narrow
Crying Cullen and O'Brien offside offside O!

Offside offside O! offside offside O!
Crying Cullen and O'Brien offside offside O!

We are really all about to die.

Au revoir.
:lol: :clap:

Au revoir. :wink:
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

artaneboy wrote:

1 Healy, 2 Strauss, 3 Ross, 4 Leo, 5 Dev, 6 SO'B, 7 Jenno, 8 Heaslip, 9 Reddan, 10 Sexton, 11 Isa, 12 Goodman, 13 D'Arcy, 14 Ferg, 15 Madigan, 16 Cronin, 17 VDM, 18 Bent, 19 Browne, 20 Ruddock, 21 Reddan, 22 Conway, 23 Dave K (if fit)

Why doesn't Cronin start. Played very well- in all aspects last Sunday; while Strauss had a wobbler. In fairness there's not that much between them whren both are on form and, whatever about strategic tweaking when both are in good nick, I think Joe will reward the clearly better form in this case.
Have to agree. Our lineout and scrum were rock solid while Sean was on the pitch, give him another crack. Also Browne, I thought was solid too. Same team as last weak except for jenno.
O'Malley and DK are now fit and ready to go too, just heard. DK on wing with Isa at FB.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

artaneboy wrote:

I'd agree it'd be very harsh on Cronin but seeing Strauss' reaction at the FT whistle (taking off his scrum cap and just sitting down on the grass wondering WTF happened) I'd anticipate an almighty reaction this week. I think Strauss brings a greater intensity and a poaching ability that is better than Cronin's. It's a marginal call and I wouldn't be upset or surprised if he retained Cronin (as you say, he went very well on Sunday) but, if it were my call, I'd hand Strauss the jersey.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Hey I'm seeing double here! :shock: Four Reddans!!!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Assuming Boss is on the bench, that's the team I'd go for, which is sort of ironic as Cronin, Boss and Browne were all very good and probably did better than the lads replacing them, so it's very harsh to drop them, but I think that's our best team available. Would be nice to get D. Kearney and / or O'Malley on the bench - hopefully VDM too.

I think we really just need to go for this now, hell for leather and see if we can turn it on.

Clermont will feel no one can live with them in their home, we have every right to feel the same about ours (be it RDS or Lansdowne).

There will be a lot of frustrated lads waiting for Saturday. I hope they attack the game with every bit of aggression and intensity they can summon. When we're in the mood and get to the tempo we want, we've made many a good side look decidedly average.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

AdamK wrote:

Hey I'm seeing double here! :shock: Four Reddans!!!
:lol: :oops:

Edit made. Boss on the bench.

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

IMO, there's a real chance of a Clermont backlash this week and we must really be ready for it.

They tried to pulverise us last week and their scrum couldn't do the job. Possibly this week they will try to move the ball more, introduce Regan King alongside Fofana and bring Buffon into full-back and possibly move Rougerie to the wing. Bringing Pierre into 2nd-row instead of Cudmore and trying to play an aerial game against our back three could be a game plan that Cotter will opt for.

Over-whelming reaction in Leinster is marginal disappointment that we didn't get at least a draw and possibly a win. But there are two teams in this contest and Clermont will rightly feel that if they don't put us away now, when we are down three serious players, they'll have to face us later.

They have huge motivation to go for the jugular. Unless our lads are really up for it and we can get enough ball to determine the pace of the game, this will be another murderous encounter with only a score in it
StainedRat
Beginner

Post by StainedRat »

Cotter will not make the same mistake this time, and muscle his front rows will be the first move!

Strategie will not be the same too, James had a very bad game as kicker, he can only turns it up to the best aswell!

a tied game ahead, for sure
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Ruckedtobits wrote:IMO, there's a real chance of a Clermont backlash this week and we must really be ready for it.

They tried to pulverise us last week and their scrum couldn't do the job. Possibly this week they will try to move the ball more, introduce Regan King alongside Fofana and bring Buffon into full-back and possibly move Rougerie to the wing. Bringing Pierre into 2nd-row instead of Cudmore and trying to play an aerial game against our back three could be a game plan that Cotter will opt for.

Over-whelming reaction in Leinster is marginal disappointment that we didn't get at least a draw and possibly a win. But there are two teams in this contest and Clermont will rightly feel that if they don't put us away now, when we are down three serious players, they'll have to face us later.

They have huge motivation to go for the jugular. Unless our lads are really up for it and we can get enough ball to determine the pace of the game, this will be another murderous encounter with only a score in it
I agree, they are not going to roll over. They have every reason to deal with us now rather than run the risk of meeting us later in the tournament. I can't wait.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

domhnallj wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:IMO, there's a real chance of a Clermont backlash this week and we must really be ready for it.

I agree, they are not going to roll over. They have every reason to deal with us now rather than run the risk of meeting us later in the tournament. I can't wait.
I don't think they're going to roll over, but I don't think we are either. I don't think the disappointment in the Leinster camp is marginal, I think it could provide a great impetus for Leinster this weekend.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Do you mean Buttin?

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
Tom from Montferrand
Learner

Post by Tom from Montferrand »

VGE wrote:

Do you mean Buttin?

Au revoir.
No, I think he means our new boy Georges-Louis de Buffon. Good defence, great kicker, but a bit old I believe.

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

You just had to Butt-in, didn't you Tom?

Buffoon.

;-)
Jaunard
Learner

Post by Jaunard »

VGE wrote:

Do you mean Buttin?

Au revoir.
no no he meant Buffon indeed

all-out defender, good kick, very capable with the ball in hand
nasty tackler to boot
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

I would be very, very tempted to bring one of Kearney and O'Malley into the team if indeed they are fit. We need a little more spark in the backline this weekend.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Jaunard wrote:
VGE wrote:

Do you mean Buttin?

Au revoir.
no no he meant Buffon indeed

all-out defender, good kick, very capable with the ball in hand
nasty tackler to boot
And World Champion.

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player