Contentious Justin Marshall article on Leinster win/IR v NZ

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Contentious Justin Marshall article on Leinster win/IR v NZ

Post by simonokeeffe »

throwing this up as it strikes me as BS or banter overplayed, contentious part in bold at the bottom
full version here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/69 ... confidence

Leinster coach Joe Schmidt must now surely be in consideration for the Blues job next year. Leinster are only the second club to win successive cup finals and Schmidt, a former Blues assistant, is clearly making an impact.
Then there's Brad Thorn's achievement in adding a European Cup to his legacy as a World Cup winner, Australian league rep, State of Origin winner, NRL premiership victor and Super Rugby title winner.
That he could step straight out of Japanese rugby and play at the highest level in Europe is a reflection on Thorn's professionalism and preparation.
I've talked to people close to the club who say his contribution has been immense.

Leinster has an Irish test loosie with a reputation among his team-mates for being way too opinionated, especially during training.

The story goes that Brad Thorn had been there for only two weeks when at training one night the loosie started having too much to say again.

Thorn apparently withdrew that gnarled head of his from out of a scrum and in that gravelly voice nobody can imitate: "Save the energy for the scrum mate. I can't even feel any weight from you. Less talk, more pushing mate!"

I also can't help but think of the Blues when I tell that story. They don't necessarily need Thorn next year (although they could do worse in the market), but they certainly need some Brad Thorn attitude and his type of player.

1. Can't see coaches esp Jonno Gibbes putting up with stuff like that from forwards
2. Can't see Leinster squad not quickly taking anyone like that down a peg or two, nor Leo not dealing with it
3. Locky is literally a choirboy, SOB too honest/hard working, Ruddock too Junior, if Heaslip was gobby they'd hardly let him captain the team, same with Jennings who's always been leadership material/works hard

Am heartbroken I can't find this on Youtube but there is footage of Marshall playing for Montpellier (I think) getting so annoyed with a refereeing decision he jumps up and down on the spot throwing a trantrum
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Re: Contentious Justin Marshall article on Leinster win/IR v

Post by [Jackass] »

would loosie refer to loose head prop, i.e. Cian Healy?

I think the anicdote is more to portray Brads lack of taking sh*t from anyone, and not suggesting there's unrest in the camp and someone is an ar$ehole, it's kind of a joke I think. Someone thought they were a smart arse and Thorn put them in their place. Nothing in it.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sounds like normal banter from a close knit squad.

There might be an element of man bites dog about a lock complaining about a prop not pushing but in fairness Thorn would be exactly that kind of lock and it's the sort of comment that would light a rocket in a prop coming from a scrummaging 2nd row.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

[Jackass] wrote:would loosie refer to loose head prop, i.e. Cian Healy?

I think the anicdote is more to portray Brads lack of taking sh*t from anyone, and not suggesting there's unrest in the camp and someone is an ar$ehole, it's kind of a joke I think. Someone thought they were a smart arse and Thorn put them in their place. Nothing in it.

think he meant loose forward. i.e. back row.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

berniemac67 wrote:

This is from a gobby opinionated scrum half, writing gossip from hear-say from the other side of the world, bigging up Thorne's contribution. It's froth- could be partly or wholly true- or total rubbish. But there's nothing wrong with it eitherway, except if you take it seriously.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

artaneboy wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:

This is from a gobby opinionated scrum half, writing gossip from hear-say from the other side of the world, bigging up Thorne's contribution. It's froth- could be partly or wholly true- or total rubbish. But there's nothing wrong with it eitherway, except if you take it seriously.
exactly

even the meaningful comment on the HEC in NZ is rather shite
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Frederico
Beginner

Post by Frederico »

I have a very good idea who it was. Nothing wrong with a gobby loosie in the side, nothing wrong with someone being brought down to size every now and then either. All sides have differing pesonalities....I've worked / played in successful teams who have had their fair share of dickheads...Don't see why our favourite team should be any different.

No prizes for guessing who Marshall's sources are within the set up either. Shame on him for as good as knifing them with that article.
Taffy Dub
Learner

Post by Taffy Dub »

I would imagine it was jamie that was doing the talking! he does seem to like to talk a lot he was probably doing Thorn's nut in!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Frederico wrote:I have a very good idea who it was. Nothing wrong with a gobby loosie in the side, nothing wrong with someone being brought down to size every now and then either. All sides have differing pesonalities....I've worked / played in successful teams who have had their fair share of dickheads...Don't see why our favourite team should be any different.

No prizes for guessing who Marshall's sources are within the set up either. Shame on him for as good as knifing them with that article.
Sh*t like this happens in training every week. You want people to be keyed up if they're playing a big match at the weekend, and we've essentially been playing big matches every weekend since Thorn arrived.

As Federico says, it's not Marshall's place to go spilling the beans on what happened in Leinster training. I can't imagine that whoever told him intended it for publication.
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

hugonaut wrote:
Frederico wrote:I have a very good idea who it was. Nothing wrong with a gobby loosie in the side, nothing wrong with someone being brought down to size every now and then either. All sides have differing pesonalities....I've worked / played in successful teams who have had their fair share of dickheads...Don't see why our favourite team should be any different.

Sh*t like this happens in training every week. You want people to be keyed up if they're playing a big match at the weekend, and we've essentially been playing big matches every weekend since Thorn arrived.

As Federico says, it's not Marshall's place to go spilling the beans on what happened in Leinster training. I can't imagine that whoever told him intended it for publication.
I agree, this happens in all team sports and it can happen for no reason - it doesnt have to be a consistant thing!
Wouldnt worry about any part of this - the writer, Leinster or the players!
The French are predictably unpredictable
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Shame stuff like that get's published, I'm sure it wasn't intended to be by whoever told Marshall. The thing I would take from that is the real benefit of bringing in these experienced overseas players. When Brad Thorn comes in I'm sure everyone wants to impress him. If he sees something he thinks isn't right he'll say so and the chances are that everyone will listen. By all accounts Brad has been unbelievably helpful in training up players in the squad.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

I have no doubt Brad Thorn has been the consummate pro in training. He was been excellent on the pitch for us and his presence has been a huge boost for the limited time we have had him. Would we have won the Cup without him? We'll never know but he played 80 minutes in both the semi and the final and his physical presence in the scrum and at the breakdown has been huge. For a man whose lineout work was supposed to be a weakness he was no mug there either.

I suppose its only to be expected but I thought his participation in the post-match celebrations was muted. He can't feel truly part of the squad when he knows he hasn't been involved for that long and won't be here next season. I thought he looked like he was 'crashing' a party that he was only invited to because he had to be. I thought BOD (ever the pro even when celebrating) went out of his way to be as inclusive of Thorn as possible.

A fan's favourite no doubt though. I will always be thankful for the time he has given us.
Four Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

berniemac67 wrote:

Then he wouldn't have said THE Loosie. He meant Ciano. (Maybe it was Jack McGrath :) )
Taffy Dub wrote:I would imagine it was jamie that was doing the talking! he does seem to like to talk a lot he was probably doing Thorn's nut in!

See. Just 2 posts on here and the story has taken a whole new direction.

Imagine how many directions it took from what actually happened to Justin Marshall.

It is either true. (who gives a sh1t) total bullsh1t. (again who gives a sh1t) or most likely. partially true, i.e. misquoted/banter/taken out of context. (yet again who gives a sh1t)

That team who played on Saturday showed not a chink of disharmony.

All Marshall has done is shown his own lack of class by publisinig it. (Not really a big deall though)

Bottom line.......Who gives a sh1t?
Copacetic
Beginner

Post by Copacetic »

He meant a loose forward, lets just say it's very unlikely he meant he couldn't feel a loosehead prop pushing him.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

A loose in NZ is a back row. Nothing to do with Props.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Frederico
Beginner

Post by Frederico »

Lar wrote:I have no doubt Brad Thorn has been the consummate pro in training. He was been excellent on the pitch for us and his presence has been a huge boost for the limited time we have had him. Would we have won the Cup without him? We'll never know but he played 80 minutes in both the semi and the final and his physical presence in the scrum and at the breakdown has been huge. For a man whose lineout work was supposed to be a weakness he was no mug there either.

I suppose its only to be expected but I thought his participation in the post-match celebrations was muted. He can't feel truly part of the squad when he knows he hasn't been involved for that long and won't be here next season. I thought he looked like he was 'crashing' a party that he was only invited to because he had to be. I thought BOD (ever the pro even when celebrating) went out of his way to be as inclusive of Thorn as possible.

A fan's favourite no doubt though. I will always be thankful for the time he has given us.
He cut a fairly solitary figure in the aftermath of the World Cup win as well so I don't think there is much to read into it. Judging by the number of pictures of him posing with the cup, I'd say he feels like the cat who got the cream. He did come over and applaud and do his customary fist pump in front of us afterwards....I was right in front of him when he did something similar in Suncorp, Brisbane in 2005 when Queensland beat New South Wales with an intercept try in the first State of Origin match that year.

He's done a great shift for us and I don't think we would have got past Clermont without him, especially the last tackle of the game.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

OK fair enough.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Lar wrote:I have no doubt Brad Thorn has been the consummate pro in training. He was been excellent on the pitch for us and his presence has been a huge boost for the limited time we have had him. Would we have won the Cup without him? We'll never know but he played 80 minutes in both the semi and the final and his physical presence in the scrum and at the breakdown has been huge. For a man whose lineout work was supposed to be a weakness he was no mug there either.

We'd have won the final without him, but would we have got to it, that's the question Frederico is right!
Brad is the real deal, without a doubt. He's probably reinforced Joe's philosopy in the overall squad in the three months he's been here.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Like I said struck me as a bit sensationalist/an exaggeration, semi obscure source so thought I'd put it up. Slight tangenital reason for posting it was Marshall likely to be the co-commentator on Irelands tests v NZ

RE Joe and the Blues job, Joe is seeing out his remaining season at least and Blues coach will need to be in situ by December/Jan, but other threads up about it
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Oldschool wrote: We'd have won the final without him, but would we have got to it, that's the question Frederico is right!
Brad is the real deal, without a doubt. He's probably reinforced Joe's philosopy in the overall squad in the three months he's been here.
Yup - those were my thoughts too.
Four Stars