where you guys meeting before twickers?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

where you guys meeting before twickers?

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

twickers is a little light on pubs around the stadium...some nice ones down by the embankment...but the forecast isn't great for sat (no showers predicted but lots of clouds) so the walk up from there to twickers will be a trek.

about 15 of us are meeting at turks head and plan to walk up before game.

where are you guys meetings?
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Re: where you guys meeting before twickers?

Post by sheepshagger »

Europeans Champion Village in the West Carpark for me.

Walking from the boozers around the train station to the ground is a bitch on match days, at least if you are going to stadium from the west car park you don't have far to go.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

sheepshagger wrote:Europeans Champion Village in the West Carpark for me.

Walking from the boozers around the train station to the ground is a bitch on match days, at least if you are going to stadium from the west car park you don't have far to go.
so true. bitch of a walk. might persuade the gang to go to the village instead. thanks for the heads up.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Twickenham itself is a dump full of cr@p pubs.

I believe there's a few decent pubs in Whitton, but I'm gonna start off in Richmond and then hop on one of the free buses out to the supporter's village which should be good crack.
dod
Knowledgeable

Post by dod »

Donny B. wrote:Twickenham itself is a dump full of cr@p pubs.

I believe there's a few decent pubs in Whitton, but I'm gonna start off in Richmond and then hop on one of the free buses out to the supporter's village which should be good crack.
This is the plan for most people i've been talking to..
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

you must have very high or perhaps strange standards if you think Twickenham is a dump.

Do yourself a favour and get there a bit early and have a walk down by the river. Lovely place and some good pubs to boot
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

The Garryowen by the Stoop is a decent spot, drank there prior to Quins back in 09. Not far walk from stadium either.

Limited knowledge of London though, and Donnys plan sounds good. Richmond then supporters village to soak up the atmosphere. Hope it's like the area around Murrayfield prior to the final in 09, that was best pre-match craic ever!
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

it's scarce on pubs around stadium...true...but I disagree about twickenham being a dump. it's a nice area compared to other parts of london..especially down by the river. richmond is a great area. A pub in whitton put on a great hog roast and bbq for the eng/irish 6n game this year. probably do the same for sat. i'm hopping off at st. maragarets (stop before twickers) with some buddies going to turks head before walking up for game.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Where are the buses leaving from Donny? Thinking of doing it this way myself, what boozers are we looking at in Richmond? Down by the river could be a good place for congregation, so Slug & Lettuce could be an option.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Degz wrote:

Where are the buses leaving from Donny? Thinking of doing it this way myself, what boozers are we looking at in Richmond? Down by the river could be a good place for congregation, so Slug & Lettuce could be an option.
I'll be in the Sun Inn but keep it quiet, cause i don't want it to be too packed. :wink:

Not exactly sure where the buses are going from, but will do a reckie on the Friday night to find out.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ellandleinster wrote:you must have very high or perhaps strange standards if you think Twickenham is a dump.

Do yourself a favour and get there a bit early and have a walk down by the river. Lovely place and some good pubs to boot
ah that's probably fair enough for the area itself, apologies to the residents of Twickenham.

But any of the pubs I was in there were f**king god awful, the Garryowen is a shitehole, The Webb Ellis is a Witherspoons with all the dullness that comes with that and the Cabbage Patch is a wretched cesspit with the most ignorant managment on the planet.

Worst away trip ever was the Wasps game where we stupidly based ourselves there. I'd never make the mistake of going back there.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

OLSC just tweeted details of shuttle bus services between Richmond station and the Stadium.

http://www.londonutd.co.uk/private-hire ... t-services

50p pre match and free afterwards.
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

Donny B. wrote:
ellandleinster wrote:you must have very high or perhaps strange standards if you think Twickenham is a dump.

ah that's probably fair enough for the area itself, apologies to the residents of Twickenham.

But any of the pubs I was in there were f**king god awful, the Garryowen is a shitehole, The Webb Ellis is a Witherspoons with all the dullness that comes with that and the Cabbage Patch is a wretched cesspit with the most ignorant managment on the planet.

Worst away trip ever was the Wasps game where we stupidly based ourselves there. I'd never make the mistake of going back there.
With you on the garryowen. But I've a bit of a soft spot for the cabbage patch which used to be regular of mine when I worked nearby. Also had a fantastic night there a few years ago after the Churchill Cup. But I do know it can be a nightmare on match days. And my wallet has a soft spot for any Wetherspoons which to be fair also stock a fantastic range of ales.

Don't get me wrong Richmond is a superior base and twickenham without doubt suffers by comparison.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ellandleinster wrote:
With you on the garryowen. But I've a bit of a soft spot for the cabbage patch which used to be regular of mine when I worked nearby. Also had a fantastic night there a few years ago after the Churchill Cup. But I do know it can be a nightmare on match days. And my wallet has a soft spot for any Wetherspoons which to be fair also stock a fantastic range of ales.

Don't get me wrong Richmond is a superior base and twickenham without doubt suffers by comparison.
First time i've ever seen any pub declare you could only have one type of lager, fecking Fosters!!! :twisted: :twisted:
badger79
Bookworm

Post by badger79 »

The Eel Pie in Twickenham is a decent spot.
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Donny B. wrote:
Degz wrote:

I'll be in the Sun Inn but keep it quiet, cause i don't want it to be too packed. :wink:

Not exactly sure where the buses are going from, but will do a reckie on the Friday night to find out.
Outside the station I would've thought?
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Degz wrote: Where are the buses leaving from Donny? Thinking of doing it this way myself, what boozers are we looking at in Richmond? Down by the river could be a good place for congregation, so Slug & Lettuce could be an option.

Outside the station I would've thought?
Deer Park Car Park according to SS's link. I'd assume that is a stone's through from a pub I may or may not be going to.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

West Car Park sounds like the place to be !

What better fun than to queue for hours for a drink, served by one of the three 15 year old barworkers, who have never worked pulling pints before.

Oh that was last year, I hear there will be one additional bar worker this year, a 13 yr old who is on half term.

Lucky I don't drink
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

IGNORE - I SEE THE LINK
Shake your di*ks, this pissing contest is over!
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

Donny B. wrote:
ellandleinster wrote:

First time i've ever seen any pub declare you could only have one type of lager, fecking Fosters!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Sounds like heaven, regularly confronted with bars only serving Tuborg, which I can only conclude is made from passing Carlsberg through the human body.
Shake your di*ks, this pissing contest is over!