RDP Final

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Raydollard
Graduate

Re: RDP Final

Post by Raydollard »

The finale of this competition has no valid date for its completion when the Heineken Cup final has one or two of the participants. It is akin to Kilkenny playing a Tommy Walsh Cup final the week after winning the All Ireland.

The older competition when the league winners won the Magners made far more sense. Semi-finals and finals were add-ons to a completed league to try and get more money. Leinster finished 10 points clear for God sake.
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Hornet wrote:
Apocrypha wrote:GT's article in today's IT is a disgrace. Congratulating Leinsterfans on booing at the end and for the referees presentation.

Surprised he didn't advocate some Leinster GAA tactics - Beating him up or sticking him in the boot of a Renault Megane... :lol:
If you want to complain about serious Ref abuse you should get onto the Clermont forum and 'advise' them. As if MF are all sweetness and light! Perhaps it's the fact that we scored more points yesterday than the 'liginds' were beaten by the O's in the S/F that gives you that sour taste.
WTF??? :lol:

Might want to check your 'facts' there stato... :wink:
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

It's mostly very fine margins. Think back to bordeaux (clermont). Also we lived on the edge in bath and glasgow away..not to mention montpelier! Just came out wrong side this time. But just a reminder of how tough it'll be again next season. Despite press and indeed our own views we haven't streamrolled through europe and maybe we haven't got that strength in depth that everyone says we have..healy ,sob boss sorely missed yesterday and ross! Backup but not for 80 mins.
On the other hand I'm a glass half empty merchant;-)
elfan
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Edna Kenny wrote:Adam Jones was constantly in the touch judge's ear about the collapses and it seemed to work.
Adam Jones is something of a sacred cow. He is very rarely pinged because he is 'one of the world's greatest THs'.

Twice he deliberatley twisted in and collapsed at the end of the first half, the same movement, but he only got pinged for the 2nd one because Poite was on the far side for the first time. The TJ would have seen the first one up close and personal. HVDM spent time in the bin for his transgression but Saint Adam of Neath-Swansea is untouchable.

Well done Os. You are a very good side but I cannot say you deserved it because that 2nd yellow decision is what won it for you and it was farcical in the extreme and has degraded the Competition.

For the table toppers by 10 points and back-to-back Euro Champions to be treated this way on home turf!!!!...again it reflects poorly on the competition and Poite should be tarred and feathered for his performance. I agree that he is a cr@p scrum ref.

As for our squad strength, the loss of firepower like Healy, SOB and Luke then augmented by Bossy and Rossy....didn't help but Roamin on the domain was the main issue by far.

There....I feel better now.
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

We didn't lose because of Poite. We lost because we didn't defend as well as we had in previous matches and we fell off quite a few tackles. I think that the players from both teams were getting very frustrated with Poite though. Having yellow carded VD Mervwe he then penalised Jones for collapsing the scrum. How was it in the Ospreys interest to collapse a scum on our line when they were in such ascendency that we got a yc? That made no sense and I think contributed to the scuffle in the tunnel at ht (not that it justifies such an unseemly occurance). I was baffled at the things that Poite, Clancy and Patterson missed in the game. In the build up to Beck's try there were consecutive forward passes by the Ospreys that were fairly obvious to all but the officials.The Ospreys still had a lot of work to do to score that try so the passes weren't the immediate reason the try was scored but they should have been seen before the try was scored. Ryan Jones repeatedly ran into Nacewa's line at restarts to block him especially in the 2nd half and the officials missed that every time. One of the other Ospreys tries had its genesis in an obviously crooked throw to an Ospreys line out on the half way line in front of us in the Grand Stand. Again it wasn't the reason they went on to score the try but it wasn't spotted and it wasn't the only such crooked thow in by the Ospreys. The Ospreys were repeatedly offside at rucks. I appreciate that Poite doesn't have eyes in the back of his head and can't see everything but he got no help from Clancy and Patterson at all on that score from what I saw. The poor officiating was annoying. It was disappointing that teh lads season ended in the manner it did but credit has to be given to the Ospreys for sticking to their task and scoring 3 tries against us. Few enough teams have scored that many against us so well done them!
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Just about starting to come to terms with the loss.

Was truly devastated yesterday. Double opportunities really don't come around that often.

0/3 finals in the Pro 12. 3/3 H-Cup Finals... In fairness, I prefer it to read that way as opposed to the opposite!

Poite didn't have a good game and the White decision is beyond comprehension, but I still think we could have killed that game off before the second sin binning (and I think we would have if we hadn't had some business to take care of last week).

Yesterday was a great occasion - lovely weather, cracking atmosphere with a jammed RDS and even some snazzy fire shows. However, the play-off's are pure money spinning bullshit. How a team that finishes 1/3 of the way down the table can technically win the title overall is beyond me (It would be the same as Everton walking away with the Premier League after a strong play-off showing).

The beauty of the Pro12 is that it is a true squad test. We have the strongest squad in the league and proved that beyond doubt over the course of the season. A league is a league and should contain no knock-out rounds!

Anyway, another fantastic season and looking forward to next year. Thanks guys!
Last edited by simonno6 on May 28th, 2012, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

JohnB wrote:Having yellow carded VD Mervwe he then penalised Jones for collapsing the scrum. How was it in the Ospreys interest to collapse a scum on our line when they were in such ascendency that we got a yc?
Because they were trying to force a penalty try out of the situation, because even with Isa coming in on the flank we were pushing them back when they stayed up. The scrum ascendancy nonsense comes from the bad refereeing, not the actual strength of the scrums.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I'm not a scrum expert or more particularly a front row expert. I have however had a few very unpleasant experiences in the second row behind a very seedy front row.
It seems to me that the problems in the first instance start with slipping binds before the ball has even been put in.
Ergo - Perhaps the call should be crouch, touch, bind, engage. The ref can wait until he's happy with the bind, and then single engage.
It's quite common to see wing forwards interfering in the binding process. Ryan Jones was at it on Sunday for example and I've seen one or two of our own participating in this slipperiest of actions.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
shark_sandwich
Beginner

Post by shark_sandwich »

Haven't seen the match on TV yet, simply because it's too painful to watch at the moment so I don't know the circumstances behind his injury but just wondering if trying to injure Mike Ross is becoming a tactic for teams that play against Leinster/Ireland?

It is our fault that we don't have top class cover in that area but I get the feeling that teams are not simply just "Targeting the scrum" against us but targeting Mike Ross to basically try and get him off the pitch!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

berniemac67 wrote:
thepunter wrote:oh id love to be watching s4c now if I had it, the collective whining and crying should be cracking the screens on tv sets around wales by now.

Wynn Jones, and the screamer Biggar throwing digs on the way into the tunnel, tantrums have started from them already. They'll lose the rag now second half, watch.
i've got s4c on. can't understand a goddam word unfortunately

great work holding them out at scrum time despite some pretty weak ass refereeing
You have two options, press the red button and select english commentary.
or enter sky box setup and set the language settings to Welsh.
Oh wait - The match is over! :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

JohnB wrote:We didn't lose because of Poite. We lost because we didn't defend as well as we had in previous matches and we fell off quite a few tackles. I think that the players from both teams were getting very frustrated with Poite though. Having yellow carded VD Mervwe he then penalised Jones for collapsing the scrum. How was it in the Ospreys interest to collapse a scum on our line when they were in such ascendency that we got a yc? That made no sense and I think contributed to the scuffle in the tunnel at ht (not that it justifies such an unseemly occurance). I was baffled at the things that Poite, Clancy and Patterson missed in the game. In the build up to Beck's try there were consecutive forward passes by the Ospreys that were fairly obvious to all but the officials.The Ospreys still had a lot of work to do to score that try so the passes weren't the immediate reason the try was scored but they should have been seen before the try was scored. Ryan Jones repeatedly ran into Nacewa's line at restarts to block him especially in the 2nd half and the officials missed that every time. One of the other Ospreys tries had its genesis in an obviously crooked throw to an Ospreys line out on the half way line in front of us in the Grand Stand. Again it wasn't the reason they went on to score the try but it wasn't spotted and it wasn't the only such crooked thow in by the Ospreys. The Ospreys were repeatedly offside at rucks. I appreciate that Poite doesn't have eyes in the back of his head and can't see everything but he got no help from Clancy and Patterson at all on that score from what I saw. The poor officiating was annoying. It was disappointing that teh lads season ended in the manner it did but credit has to be given to the Ospreys for sticking to their task and scoring 3 tries against us. Few enough teams have scored that many against us so well done them!
So playing with 14 men for 25% of the match wasn't the basis for the result....rubbish.....nor were crooked line outs or the forward passes the reasons they scored tries.....more rubbish.

BREAKING NEWS: THE RULES OF THE GAME MATTER AND ALLOWING THEM BE BROKEN IS MATERIAL TO WHETHER TRIES ARE SCORED AND GAMES ARE WON

If the rules of the game are not applied...like forward passes as a means of breaking the gainline....then you will end up with an unfair advantage or two in the movement and will score tries.

It is more correct to say that they scored tries BECAUSE they were allowed break the laws of the game - like crooked throws to guarantee possession and forward passes to stretch a 14 man defensive alignment against a punchdrunk team at the endof the season on the hottest day of the year.

Question: do people agree that the game and result was devalued by the 2nd yellow card?

As for how was it in the interest of Adam Jones to deliberately twist inwards and collapse the scrum not once but twice in a row....eh that was because with newly Leinster down to 14 (HVDM's yellow) and the scrum weakened by Isa at 6...he hoped the ref would see it as Leinster being under pressure and they would get a 7 pointer - a penalty try under the sticks. Is that not a reasonable motive?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Apocrypha wrote:
Hippo wrote:
Apocrypha wrote:Why did Sexton not orchestrate a drop-goal in injury time? A golden opportunity in blissful conditions...
Er because it was never in range? Haven't seen you around in a while, funny you should turn up now.
1. It was well within his range - but Sexton never dictated things so a turnover was effected.

2. I am not a great beliver in the maxim that one should never intrude upon private grief... :lol:
It was never in range to be even 50/50 and was never set up a drop.
We just weren't patient enough to get it to at least 50/50 ie at least from inside the 10m line and preferably another 10m closer.
Paulie Walnuts
Learner

Post by Paulie Walnuts »

Was in South Stand and was very unsure about one of Biggar's kicks. A gang of us were sure it didn't go between the sticks. The posts seem far too small - how do they compare to Lansdowne rd? Shane W got in far too easily - we stood off some key tackle situations - but maybe that's his genius.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

suisse wrote:The anti-Poite crew here are hilarious given so many of you would have been happy to see this guy referee us in the SF (v Clermont, in Bordeaux!!!) or the Final because we thought he did a good job in the QF between Munster and Ulster.

Poite is, and always has been, a rubbish referee. He considers himself a guru at scrum time but has no idea what is going on. He was dreadful in the 2011 HEC Final too, but we ignored it because of the manner of the comeback. He misses way too much sh!t, like blatant obstruction or missed binds. You were warned....

I'd rather Barnes or Pearson over Poite any day. The one thing you could say is he isn't a homer. But, this guy is dangerous.
I too would far prefer Barnes or Pearson. I can never quite make out what Poite is looking for when he refs the scrums. He doesn't like Leo either!
However it still has to be said our guys were flat and theirs weren't.
I also think that the extra week in preparation for this match, probably allowed the OS to work on the their scrum technique and still be
much fresher than we were. That little cameo of scrums just before HT, probably used up whatever reserves our HEC champions had left.
WE ARE STILL THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE.
CONGRATULATION ON A GREAT SEASON
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Apocrypha wrote:
Hornet wrote:
Apocrypha wrote:GT's article in today's IT is a disgrace. Congratulating Leinsterfans on booing at the end and for the referees presentation.

Surprised he didn't advocate some Leinster GAA tactics - Beating him up or sticking him in the boot of a Renault Megane... :lol:
If you want to complain about serious Ref abuse you should get onto the Clermont forum and 'advise' them. As if MF are all sweetness and light! Perhaps it's the fact that we scored more points yesterday than the 'liginds' were beaten by the O's in the S/F that gives you that sour taste.

It's the heat. Sorry for talking you up. We had 31 points and you lost by 35. Still i'm glad you can take your bitch slapping by the O's so positively. :wink:
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

Apocrypha wrote:
Hornet wrote:

then again you may wish to check what GT actually wrote.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Paulie Walnuts wrote:Was in South Stand and was very unsure about one of Biggar's kicks. A gang of us were sure it didn't go between the sticks. The posts seem far too small - how do they compare to Lansdowne rd? Shane W got in far too easily - we stood off some key tackle situations - but maybe that's his genius.

Yep, was there too and swore it went left of the upright. Amazed they called it. Clancy put his flag up right away...the c**t.

Regards tackling, we kept going too high instead of diving on their ankles, hence why we were falling off them far too easily.

Really missed Healy,Boss,SOB and Ross. With them playing a full part we would have won. Total anti-climax and a downer the result. We should have been more patient in their 22, how many times did we cough up posession and get no points on the board? criminal.

Another league final lost. Pain in the arse at this stage but at least we got the big one last weekend and credit the lads for another great season, just came up short at the last hurdle unfortunately. Great effort tho', next season should be fun.
3 Gold Stars
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Heartbraking to lose in such fashion but, as unfathomable as some of Poite's decisions were, the Ospreys were very, very good and I wouldn't cheapen a big effort from their players because of some dodgy officiating
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Donny B. wrote:Looking back on the coverage there seemed to be a bit of a scrap in the tunnel as they went in at half time.
That was the half time entertainment arranged for us terrace dwellers - kind of them to include that in the ticket price :lol:
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Leinster Pajero
Beginner

Post by Leinster Pajero »

I'm new here, just one question, how long does it take for a post to reach this thread? I posted mine on Sunday and it still hasn't appeared. Poor show babblers.
British leader Winston Churchill on dinner:
"Well, dinner would have been splendid if the wine had been as cold as the soup, the beef as rare as the service, the brandy as old as the fish, and the maid as willing as the Duchess."