How can we emulate the Clermount fans?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: How can we emulate the Clermount fans?

Post by artaneboy »

desperado wrote:
I'm not from Dublin; but v.much Leinster. Personally, I don't have an issue with Molly Malone. Showing my age; but Molly Malone was THE IRISH rugby song until somehow a Celtic soccer song got adopted.
Well exactly! Molly was long the Irish -not just the Leinster rugby song. In fact it was much more prominent at Ireland games than Leinster- I my memory anway. Of course, back in the "three men and a dog" attendances, of the 70s and 80's you find it hard to get any sort of a song going!

I do agree we need more singing options. There's been an amount of attempts on here to get a few more decent songs into the repertoire. There was a guy- called Scenerio (I think) who made several attempts to get a pan-Leinster anthem adopted. Haven’t seen him posting in a while, but anyway- there were a few good suggestions there. Minstrel Boy, seemed one which ticked all the boxes for me! But the issue is the law of the lowest common denominator. Any Leinster songs have to be ‘sing able’ by us crows with a one-tenth octave range! It also has to be slow, to allow us to stick together. And finally- has to be well known by us all. Hard to get all three of those- without worrying about political correctness too. But Molly ticks the boxes!

I am from Dublin but don't even live in the province anymore. So I'd appreciate the perceptions of Dublin-bias and the the sensitivities to be 'inclusive' of all our Leinster bretheren and sisters. You can imagine the Mullahs of Turnipstan sneering- but feck them! This is between ourselves and I'd hope that all Leinster fans throughout the province would welcome Molly as our official song. Yes..No…? :?:
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's not like Molly is so overused that we're singing it all day long. We should try and get it started before games start.

I've always thought that there are a few U2 songs that would work well, like the streets have no name.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

call me a heretic but i prefer chants like asm and toulousains use

easy to learn and NO singing ability required (fast and punchy, no holding notes) :)

everyone can participate without distressing those sitting around them ;)
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Cianostays wrote:For the folks complaining about being told to sit down, to give an example: My mother, along with my Dad, goes to as many games as she can and was in Bordeaux on Sunday. She took part in the march (despite having a bad ankle due to breaking it last summer) and enjoys singing the songs and chants and likes to get to the ground early to encourage the team as they are warming up.

She happens to be quite short in height (about 5ft tall). Is it utterly unreasonable for a supporter like that to ask people who are constantly out of their seats any time Leinster enter the opposition '22 to sit down so she, a fellow Leinster supporter, can see the game also? I don't think so.

Of course it can be irritating to be asked to sit down all the time, (especially when you feel you are just trying to support the team as actively as you can), but sometimes people in the "sit down brigade" aren't being killjoys for the sake of it. They just want to watch the game.

Is that utterly unreasonable?
No ofcourse it's not unreasonable.

But as I said before, if someone like your mother goes to matches like that they should know what to expect. I've broken a foot myself, and I know all to well the pain of being stuck behind a yo-yo crowd. But that's life, that's live rugby - crowds will leap out of their seats when there's a chance, even the timid crowds. If I wasn't prepared to deal with it, I wouldn't go to a match with thousands of other people around me I can't control. I'd also sit near the big screen. :D
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

berniemac67 wrote:call me a heretic but i prefer chants like asm and toulousains use

easy to learn and NO singing ability required (fast and punchy, no holding notes) :)

everyone can participate without distressing those sitting around them ;)
On that basis I have to say the Toulon chant is the best. Spine-chilling.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

ronk wrote: I've always thought that there are a few U2 songs that would work well, like the streets have no name.
:evil:
RichieL
Beginner

Post by RichieL »

So I googled boys in blue and all that came up for it was Dublin football so we "borrowed" it from them?

So then I got thinking how hard could it be to write something!!

Its not very original and kinda has only chorus so feel free to add some and of course abuse the effort :lol:

Here goes!

I call it Leinster fly-

Come on Ye boys in blue, Come on Ye boys in blue
Come on Ye boys in blue,Come on Ye boys in blue

Let's see Leinster fly for (me any you) or (you and I), come on Ye boys'
Come on Ye boys in blue! Let's see leinster fly! Fooor you and I,
come on Ye boys, come on Ye boys in blueee!

Car...low, Kildare, Meath!
Wexford, Wicklow shout it Louth!

Kil..kenny,Laois,Longford!
Dublin,Offaly,Westmeath!

:shock::lol:
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Hate to break it to you, but Leinster Rugby is only about D4.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
RichieL
Beginner

Post by RichieL »

sid wrote:Hate to break it to you, but Leinster Rugby is only about D4.
Disagree
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Jaysis
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Except for Ringsend and Irishtown, obviously.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

RichieL wrote:
Disagree
Oh come on, how many strings does the D shaped harp have?
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Frederico
Beginner

Post by Frederico »

ronk wrote:It's not like Molly is so overused that we're singing it all day long. We should try and get it started before games start.

I've always thought that there are a few U2 songs that would work well, like the streets have no name.
it's rare you ever hear anyone singing U2 songs at parties or sing songs...u2 don't do stripped down well...Keep it simple and stick to something by the Beatles, whose melodies are universal, and infinitely better.

No need to worry too much, the crowd thing is only evolving and is much better and more vocal than it was 5 years ago. Best that we don't try to be emulate anybody else and let our own crowd culture develop.
RichieL
Beginner

Post by RichieL »

sid wrote:
RichieL wrote:
Disagree
Oh come on, how many strings does the D shaped harp have?
Well i would think that the open training sessions would be a good place to start Mullingar RFC, Wexford Wanderers RFC and Clondalkin RFC and the RDS.
As for the players counties-
Darcy- Wexford
Leo Cullen-Wicklow
FItzgerald- Wicklow
Heaslip-Isreal and Naas (thats in Kildare!)
Horgan- Meath
O' Brien- Carlow
Kearney- Louth
Toner- Meath
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Frederico wrote:
ronk wrote:It's not like Molly is so overused that we're singing it all day long. We should try and get it started before games start.

it's rare you ever hear anyone singing U2 songs at parties or sing songs...u2 don't do stripped down well...Keep it simple and stick to something by the Beatles, whose melodies are universal, and infinitely better.

No need to worry too much, the crowd thing is only evolving and is much better and more vocal than it was 5 years ago. Best that we don't try to be emulate anybody else and let our own crowd culture develop.

That and U2 are f%~king awful.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Morf wrote:
Frederico wrote:

That and U2 are f%~king awful.
:happy clapper:
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Great thread topic.

We have come a long way since our nadir in the HEC semi in 2006but we have room to grow.

Our songs have developed but we need a higher tempo option - Queen's 'We will Rock you' anyone (no I didn't go there)
bluemantrue

Post by bluemantrue »

We could wear yellow and blue and jump around like crazed apes singing to the tune of some moneys living in an underwater vessel..... :P
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Leinster Chant, C'mon you Boys in Blue, Molly Malone, Allez Les Bleus...we've more core chants than most...

None of these are "Dublin" songs, they're Leinster songs. Dublin may be the playing home of Leinster, but fans shouldn't feel excluded by this, we're all supporting the same team, and nobody wants to disprove the Dublin / D4 myth surrounding Leinster more than Dublin / D4 based fans imo.. (speaking as one myself)

I really wish the song "Leinsters Glory" would catch on though, as it's an excellent chant, simple words, has an anythm feel to it, and is inclusive of all in the province (youtube it if you dont know it - its great imo)
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Who are Clermount?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan