Ravenhill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bails
Graduate

Ravenhill

Post by bails »

I was at the game in RAVENHILL yesterday following the Boys in Blue and am interested to hear other views on a particlualr incident..

I was abolsutely stunned when the crowd, to a man, loudly booed Issac Boos's introduction to the game on 65 minutes.
Issac Boss spent 5 seasons with Ulster (2005-2010), at a time when they weren't particulary good. In 2010 he signed for Leinster when Ulster made clear their intention to sign a NIQ scrum half, which turned out to be Ruan Pinnear, after Mike Blair repotedly turned them down. From memory Boss was often the standout player in their team and he more than paid back Ulster's investment, over the 5 years.

I really was stunned to hear a rugby crowd treat a former favourite in this manner. It was actually quite offensive.

Lets hope that we treat our former players better than that in the RDS or the Aviva.
Scrumdog
Bookworm

Re: Ravenhill

Post by Scrumdog »

They actually booed everything last night but saved their loudest booing for Issac.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

The booing is fine in general but a bit unfair on a guy that was the wronged party. Didn't he lose his Ireland contract and straight away ulster said they didn't want him the next season?
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

He also gave his all for 5 years when they were a heap of cr@p.

But I suppose like most places, Ravenhill included a large number of people jumping on the Bandwagon.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Bad form alright, I'd be interested to hear some of our regular Ulster's posters' view on it.

Especially BigAlster. :D
bootlace
Knowledgeable

Post by bootlace »

Re the booing,so what as long as there is silence for the kicks I don't really care,maybe rugby fans should just munch louder on there prawn sandwiches,add in some timid clapping ,and rattle the ice in your gin and tonic.
Big-alster
Bookworm

Post by Big-alster »

Donny B. wrote:Bad form alright, I'd be interested to hear some of our regular Ulster's posters' view on it.

Was poor, but it wasn't 'to a man', thats a slight exageration. Boss had a chuckle with the crowd after it anyway. Am still waiting for the hammering though Donny. :clap: :lol:

BTW - Ulster wanted to keep Boss, but he thought he would have had a better chance getting into the Irish squad at Leinster.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Big-alster wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Bad form alright, I'd be interested to hear some of our regular Ulster's posters' view on it.

Was poor, but it wasn't 'to a man', thats a slight exageration. Boss had a chuckle with the crowd after it anyway. Am still waiting for the hammering though Donny. :clap: :lol:

BTW - Ulster wanted to keep Boss, but he thought he would have had a better chance getting into the Irish squad at Leinster.
He was right there! He actually playing his best rugby of his career now. Should be dukeing it out with Reddan- a Munster reject!!
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Not trying to enrage our Ulster fans here (who I think are less WUMish than some Munster fans) but everytime I've been to Ravenhill or seen games on TV they always boo every referee decision but what I really hate are the donkey noises when an opposition player makes an error. I know it is done in fun but its so shitty. Personally speaking, I think its funny when they are beaten despite 80 mins of booing n donkeys.

However.....I think the singing of Swing Low is ingenius.

Leinster fans have an annoying liking towards booing too. I know the standard of officiating sucks but booing is poor form.

Meanwhile, I loved the thread on the Ulster Leinster game on turnip.com. munster fans telling the ulster boys to "stay classy." Do they forget April 2010? And they're constant whinging about T McG and Keatley is anything but classy.
Big-alster
Bookworm

Post by Big-alster »

artaneboy wrote:
Big-alster wrote:

He was right there! He actually playing his best rugby of his career now. Should be dukeing it out with Reddan- a Munster reject!!
He was very good in his last season at Ulster as well, certanly deserved Irish caps.

Just not the type of player we needed to control things ala Ruan Pienaar.
Big-alster
Bookworm

Post by Big-alster »

suisse wrote:Not trying to enrage our Ulster fans here (who I think are less WUMish than some Munster fans) but everytime I've been to Ravenhill or seen games on TV they always boo every referee decision but what I really hate are the donkey noises when an opposition player makes an error. I know it is done in fun but its so shitty. Personally speaking, I think its funny when they are beaten despite 80 mins of booing n donkeys.

Leinster fans have an annoying liking towards booing too. I know the standard of officiating sucks but booing is poor form.

Meanwhile, I loved the thread on the Ulster Leinster game on turnip.com. munster fans telling the ulster boys to "stay classy." Do they forget April 2010? And they're constant whinging about T McG and Keatley is anything but classy.
or a couple of weeks ago when Munster fans where shown on TV giving the 1s and 2s to the ref. :lol:

IMO, I'm surprised no-one has picked this up, but just before Mullers try, Luke Fitzgerald turnt to the assistant ref and held up his hands to say it was a forward pass (it wasn't) in doing so letting Muller waltze pass him to go over the line.

He was still mouthing off when the ref blew the whistle. I thought it was a bit of a joke personally, he was in a position tackle Johann, but decided to have a whinge instead. It isn't the 1st time I've seen him gestering like that either, his attitude stinks, he'd be far better keeping his head down and working on his game than prancing about like an BPL footballer.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Big-alster wrote:
suisse wrote:Not trying to enrage our Ulster fans here (who I think are less WUMish than some Munster fans) but everytime I've been to Ravenhill or seen games on TV they always boo every referee decision but what I really hate are the donkey noises when an opposition player makes an error. I know it is done in fun but its so shitty. Personally speaking, I think its funny when they are beaten despite 80 mins of booing n donkeys.

or a couple of weeks ago when Munster fans where shown on TV giving the 1s and 2s to the ref. :lol:

IMO, I'm surprised no-one has picked this up, but just before Mullers try, Luke Fitzgerald turnt to the assistant ref and held up his hands to say it was a forward pass (it wasn't) in doing so letting Muller waltze pass him to go over the line.

He was still mouthing off when the ref blew the whistle. I thought it was a bit of a joke personally, he was in a position tackle Johann, but decided to have a whinge instead. It isn't the 1st time I've seen him gestering like that either, his attitude stinks, he'd be far better keeping his head down and working on his game than prancing about like an BPL footballer.
Thought the same initially, but he was complaining about being held off the ball by Paddy Wallace.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Just reflecting our the little debate here on the Ravenhill fans booing and the differing views on the matter. Ye know what... what we really have going on here is the evolving of Ulster from plucky fighters into genuine contenders- behind us to be the top side in Ireland.

Having effectively overtaken Munster now, and we could meet in a HC final. We are all a bit more sensitive to the behaviour of our rivals when we fear them, both immediately and in the longer-term. Ulster fans in Ravenhill have always been raucous- booing everything that displeases them, we just never were not too bothered before! Now we place more prestige on the defeat of a potential usurper and we feel kneely any bad sportsmanship or bad manners. They on the other hand now have the expectation and fear that comes with knowing that you can (realistically) compete. They resent the seeming carping with their improved competition that our indignation demonstrates.

So the auld "you're great; we're great" relationship is changing a bit. No one's fault. It's the way of the world. But I expect a bit more astringency in the postings here with the likes of some of our genuine friends such as Big Alster; on a par with the punch & jury with that which occurs with Munsterfan 1 and co- also genuine fans and constructive (most of the time!). Once we keep it civilised and rational, that's fine by me. Good to have you as our No. 2 Ulster!!! :wink:
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
illthinkofsomething
Bookworm

Post by illthinkofsomething »

Big-alster wrote:

Booooooooooooooooooooooo! see not very nice is it ...... :wink: :wink:
2009 2011 2012
Lions me hole, I have no interest in watching Irishmen getting injured playing for England in Welsh shirts....it has a ring of the Somme to it
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Big-alster wrote:

Your spot on about Fitzgerald. Have posted about his moaning & flapping before on here. He's the Robbie Keane of Irish Rugby
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

bails wrote:
I was abolsutely stunned when the crowd, to a man, loudly booed Issac Boos's introduction to the game on 65 minutes.

sorry but thats utter bollix
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

cormac wrote:
Big-alster wrote:

Thought the same initially, but he was complaining about being held off the ball by Paddy Wallace.
Yup, Paddy clips Lukes ankles (accidently imo) as he's about to go after Muller. That's what he was complaining about. I don't believe he complains much more than any other modern player tbh
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Agree with sticking up the middle fingers. Who was the turnip who used the image of the leinster dlfan doing that as his avatar? Or the lads were moaning at the leinster fan throwing beer at the cameraman? They're pretty brutal down south. I'm amazed at the venom on their site towards their.players n staff. Precious bunch
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Big-alster wrote:

Not what I heard. He was told by Ulster his contract wasn't being renewed. He had two offers on the table one to be the starter at Newport or to be the back-up man at Leinster. He opted for Leinster more because he liked living in Ireland more than wanting more caps as he knows he's not a Kidney favourite.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Scott wrote:
bails wrote:

sorry but thats utter bollix

I was stood at half way on the Promenade and a very large percentage of the stand and terrace booed when his appearance was announced over the speakersystem. I am only saying what I heard.

I don't give a b*%&!x about the booing of players referees or opposition supporters, I just thought it incredible that a man who gave 5 years service to Ulster should be treated in such a manner, particularly when we saw the lap of honour afforded to the mercenaries at the end