Ravenhill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Frederico
Beginner

Re: Ravenhill

Post by Frederico »

I was at the game as a guest of a mate who is an Ulster fan. We were in the Promenade on the 22 near the Memorial end. There were an isolated few idiots - and no more - who booed him a few rows behind us, and the Ulster guys that I was standing with were disgusted at them.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Funny how a number of people on both this thread and on the Leinster v Ulster thread have commented on the booing independently.

It happened.
Cap'n Grumpy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Don't know if any of you guys go on UAFC forum - if so you might have read some of my idiotic ramblings before.

I actually just registered and came on this forum to wish you all the bets for your trip to Bordeaux and hopefully a win against Clermont. I would love it if we had an all Irish final at Twickenham, and especially for Connacht, it would guarantee Heineken Cup rugby again next season even before kick-off.

So, all the best to you and if we meet in the final, despite our recent record against you, we no longer fear you and hope to give you a good game. If you make it and we foul up some how, I hope to go to Twickenham anyway, so there will be one Ulsterman anyway supporting you, but I suspect many others as well.

As to the Isaac Boss affair at Ravenhill on Friday - I have known Isaac personally from his time here, and I think he took that in the manner it was intended by the majority of fans which was good hearted banter to one of our own ...... becaus ethat's how he is still seen up here - one of our own. Isaac maintained his hous eup here long after he moved to Dublin (I'm not sure now if he has sold it) and maintained links here with local schools (e.g. wallace) and the Newforge Taggers. He ha sregularly returned to belfast and is rightly still much loved in Ulster. I believe there may have been a couple of eejits who seriously booed him the other day, but they were put in their place by other Ulster fans. Before Isaac left, I had the privelige of talking to him on a number of occasions and what he told me was the story on his move was that Ulster wanted to keep him, had offered him an improved contract, but he was aware that Ruan Pienaar was coming and that his time as first choice #9 would be limited. With that in mind, he decided it would be in his interests to move to Leinster and compete with Reddan for the shirt to improve his chances og getting the Irish gig. The stories about his contract offer from Ulster have been independently confirmed to me by various Ulster management, including David Humphreys. Believe that if you will - I am sure there are soem who will prefer to believe the worst of others, and if they don't accep[t that, that is theior problem, but I am 100% confident that it is an accurate account. Before he left, when I spoke to Isaac, I told him that when he returned to ravenhill, I would give him a chorus of "Ulster reject" - he laughed, as he knew I did not mean it. I did not boo him on Friday night, but I did keep my promise. I doubt he would have heard it, but if he did, I'm sure he would have laughed. Isaac has a terrific personality and finds things to laugh about in just about anything - I think he would have been laughing with the the majority who booed him in jest the other night, and he would have laughed at the tiny minority who did boo out of spite. Isaac Boss :happy clapper:

Nowe back to the reason I came on in the first place - all the best for the semi-final against Clermont lads and lasses, and hopefully we'll both be at Twickers :D
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

bails wrote:Funny how a number of people on both this thread and on the Leinster v Ulster thread have commented on the booing independently.

It happened.

Nobody denied it happened, it did. You said 'to a man' which is untrue. Not EVERY one booed.

They pay their monies they can do what they like, I personally wouldn't get all bent out of shape about it(i didnt like it either btw).

Boss is now an integral player for the best team in Europe, he has a European champions medal too, Doubtful he gives a flying fcuk.
3 Gold Stars
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

People often think that we're booing when we cheer LUUUUUKE; the Ulster fans weren't booing, they were just saying NOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

i didnt hear any booing although i was pretty sozzled!

I was introduced to the hee-haw donkey noise for the first time.......aslo heard it on ESPN today - Chiefs V Saints
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Leezer wrote: I was introduced to the hee-haw donkey noise for the first time.......aslo heard it on ESPN today - Chiefs V Saints
The donkey noise is just so tacky, isn't it? its kinda embarrassing that a large number of fans take enjoyment from making donkey noises at opposing players.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

suisse wrote:
The donkey noise is just so tacky, isn't it? its kinda embarrassing that a large number of fans take enjoyment from making donkey noises at opposing players.
it raised a few eyebrows alright. It's not the worst thing but glad we dont have it in the RDS/LR
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Isaac has a terrific personality and finds things to laugh about in just about anything - I think he would have been laughing with the the majority who booed him in jest the other night, and he would have laughed at the tiny minority who did boo out of spite. Isaac Boss :happy clapper:

Nowe back to the reason I came on in the first place - all the best for the semi-final against Clermont lads and lasses, and hopefully we'll both be at Twickers :D
To be honest this explanation makes far more sense as I know Boss was very popular with the crowd up there.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

They've been doing the donkey noise in Newport for years.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

suisse wrote:
Leezer wrote: I was introduced to the hee-haw donkey noise for the first time.......aslo heard it on ESPN today - Chiefs V Saints
I was first treated to the donkey noises from the Gloucester 'Shed Heads' some years back. A classy means of interacting with the players (not).
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Enough with the donkey noises. Were any pens stolen?
A proud Winsome Fluter
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Degz wrote:They've been doing the donkey noise in Newport for years.
I much prefer their "Knocked It On" song to the tune of La Marseillaise. So good that we nicked it off them and sang it as well when one of their guys knocked on.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

bails wrote:Funny how a number of people on both this thread and on the Leinster v Ulster thread have commented on the booing independently.

It happened.
i know it did. your 'to a man' shout is utter bollix couple hundred max
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
HUDSOC
Knowledgeable

Post by HUDSOC »

artaneboy wrote:Just reflecting our the little debate here on the Ravenhill fans booing and the differing views on the matter. Ye know what... what we really have going on here is the evolving of Ulster from plucky fighters into genuine contenders- behind us to be the top side in Ireland.

Having effectively overtaken Munster now, and we could meet in a HC final. We are all a bit more sensitive to the behaviour of our rivals when we fear them, both immediately and in the longer-term. Ulster fans in Ravenhill have always been raucous- booing everything that displeases them, we just never were not too bothered before! Now we place more prestige on the defeat of a potential usurper and we feel kneely any bad sportsmanship or bad manners. They on the other hand now have the expectation and fear that comes with knowing that you can (realistically) compete. They resent the seeming carping with their improved competition that our indignation demonstrates.

So the auld "you're great; we're great" relationship is changing a bit. No one's fault. It's the way of the world. But I expect a bit more astringency in the postings here with the likes of some of our genuine friends such as Big Alster; on a par with the punch & jury with that which occurs with Munsterfan 1 and co- also genuine fans and constructive (most of the time!). Once we keep it civilised and rational, that's fine by me. Good to have you as our No. 2 Ulster!!! :wink:
Well said AB
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Scott wrote:

It happened.
"To a man" is OTT but from the sofa in my sitting room, with my 5.1 surround sound screaming at me- the only section that did not appear to be booing was somewhere over my mantelpiece!
So i would suggest "couple of hundred" is probably UnderTT.

Should this not be in "general rugby"?

I should say that I reacted to the booing of Isaac by way of posting obscenities on the match thread!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Frederico
Beginner

Post by Frederico »

Peg Leg wrote:
Scott wrote:

It happened.
"To a man" is OTT but from the sofa in my sitting room, with my 5.1 surround sound screaming at me- the only section that did not appear to be booing was somewhere over my mantelpiece!
So i would suggest "couple of hundred" is probably UnderTT.

Should this not be in "general rugby"?

I should say that I reacted to the booing of Isaac by way of posting obscenities on the match thread!
The atmosphere at the game was fairly subdued, maybe it came across otherwise on the box, but to say that a "couple of hundred" booed is pushing it. It's amazing the amount of noise a small concentrated number of people make. the four Leinster fans in front of me in the first half probably made more sustained noise than any other bunch in the stadium. Good bless their vocal chords.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

You often get a disproportionate influence from some people based on where the mics are and how they're mixed. I remember MFs on here complaining about chants that nobody at the match heard that they heard on the tellybox.

Anyway, didn't know that Boss was offered a contract up in Ulster (it seemed odd that he wasn't because he was in fantastic form when he left) and I'm delighted that he is still appreciated up there. You can't have him back though.

And in general anyone complaining about booing mustn't be able to go to matches in the RDS (or Thomond park. or....).
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Donny B. wrote:
I much prefer their "Knocked It On" song to the tune of La Marseillaise. So good that we nicked it off them and sang it as well when one of their guys knocked on.
If I remember, that chorus was followed by one of "We stole your song, we stole your song!"
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Degz wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
If I remember, that chorus was followed by one of "We stole your song, we stole your song!"
It was indeed. Had a great laugh with the port fans that day.