Clermont - The Game

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

darkminimouf
Beginner

Re: Clermont - The Game

Post by darkminimouf »

1/7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDPeecHu ... embedded#!

Big game... Better end this time?!
Site sur l'eau en Auvergne : http://www.eauvergnat.fr
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm far more worried about that first hit in the scrum and our first lineout than I am about the ref. If our set piece holds firm then I think we'll win. Clermont will come at us in in a manner similar to Northampton last May except that they'll have a bench to sustain the momentum. However, we have all the tools necessary to stop them getting that front foot ball.

I'd love to see someone run over Parra and wipe that smug look off his face. He might be a fine player but he's also a cheap shot merchant and I hope we show him up.
he's also quite the amateur dramatist as demonstrated in the QF. could have been a socca playa

PS. agree with the NH comparison in terms of approach, but ASM are just a teeny weensy bit better ;)
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

glenageary wrote:Talk about running their pack into the ground in the 2nd half with our speed game is also a bit wishful! They have a good bench plus Hines really ran out of steam last year! Like hell he did! However we killed them in the aviva so they are for the taking if all our cylinders fire. They will be saying exactly the same I am sure. This must be one of the closest encounters yet.
their front row in particular can be run off its feet
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Been hibernating of late: haven't read any of the board in a while.
My two cents: having been keeping an eye on the back row rotation policy- I like the idea of starting locky @ 6 and SOB at 7, letting the defense track SOB for 40mins in the 7 jersey and then springing Jenno from the bench and watch SOB find...... nay, make- those gaps appear!
Other than that, I am shitting myself and believe the gods will have to be on our side for the win!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

Berniemac67 wrote: their front row in particular can be run off its feet

The problem is they've got at least two very good front rows:
a) Faure, Kayser, Zirakashvili
b) Domingo, Paulo, Ric
and Debaty and Kotze spare
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

rdsblue wrote:Berniemac67 wrote: their front row in particular can be run off its feet

b) Domingo, Paulo, Ric
you're bursting my bubble here!!

please allow me to wallow in my delusion in peace

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

Oh, and I forgot Cabello
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

http://www.heineken.ie/heinekencup/blog ... o-success/

More or less what we've been saying.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

berniemac67 wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm far more worried about that first hit in the scrum and our first lineout than I am about the ref. If our set piece holds firm then I think we'll win. Clermont will come at us in in a manner similar to Northampton last May except that they'll have a bench to sustain the momentum. However, we have all the tools necessary to stop them getting that front foot ball.

I'd love to see someone run over Parra and wipe that smug look off his face. He might be a fine player but he's also a cheap shot merchant and I hope we show him up.
he's also quite the amateur dramatist as demonstrated in the QF. could have been a socca playa

PS. agree with the NH comparison in terms of approach, but ASM are just a teeny weensy bit better ;)

What age are you?
3 Gold Stars
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:

What age are you?
twelve and three quarters mister

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

berniemac67 wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
berniemac67 wrote: he's also quite the amateur dramatist as demonstrated in the QF. could have been a socca playa

What age are you?
Good boy, in a teensy weensy bit you'll be all of 13.
3 Gold Stars
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:
you can count mister, good for you

but your word copying and mimicry skills need some work

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Just re-watched a fair bit of that QF and we really got out of jail. Not just the missed kicks, but we were lucky not to have a man binned for persistent penalties.

Couldn't believe when I read it that 14 of the 15 who mullered Stade Francais at the weekend were different to the QF starters against Saffacens. I know we rotated last weekend but Clermont have even more depth than we do, thanks to Monsieur Michelin.

This is going to be tough. It's the matchup of the competition, even if it doesn't turn out to be the match of the competition.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

berniemac67 wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:

When talking to a child one must put oneself in their shoes.
3 Gold Stars
ad nauseam
Knowledgeable

Post by ad nauseam »

Heart says Leinster. Head says Clermont. We've had too easy a run-in to the semis. I think we're in for a shock. :(
To the bitter and twisted, nothing is ever good enough.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

When talking to a child one must put oneself in their shoes.
Wow you've got small feet. :)

You know what they say small feet, small..........shoes.
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

Post by Proudleinsterman »

berniemac67 wrote:
rdsblue wrote:Berniemac67 wrote: their front row in particular can be run off its feet

b) Domingo, Paulo, Ric

Domingo is still recuperating from an ACL injury, so it is unlikely he will be rushed back, Zirakashvili is their rock but is normally knackered by the 50min mark any way. Would not be too worried by the others, we have much more mobility in Healy and Strauss who are like 2 Duracell bunnies on speed. Scrum will be intriguing, they beat Saracens frontrow up but by all accounts their scrum has been ordinary in the french league. Don't forget we got the better of them in the frontrow in the last meeting, Ross was immense.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ad nauseam wrote:Heart says Leinster. Head says Clermont. We've had too easy a run-in to the semis. I think we're in for a shock. :(
Jeez- are you not reading the consistent downers on this thread? How could it be a shock? It might be a dissappointment- but we know where we're going.

But there too much pessimism here now. I'm taking an optimistic stance that we are much better squad that we were two years ago. I also believe that we have a better and crucially more strategically/ tactically subtle coach.

We are certainly not under-estimating the task ahead. But we have been here before facing a monster French team with a massive rep- Toulouse in 2006 anyone? Why should we fear they more than they us? We are on the cusp of moving from brillance to greatness! Getting excited and emotional thinking of it now. No sense in wallowing in fear; let's go for glory.

Yes, we will be outnumbered close to 10 to 1 in supporters. I can't be able to be there, and I envy terribly those Leinster fans who will.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in (ahem...) Leinster now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here

C'mon Leinster! :happy clapper:
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Rémy63
Bookworm

Post by Rémy63 »

b) Domingo, Paulo, Ric
Domingo is now injuried for more than a year man, you're quiet late. Ric is also out for months because of a calcaneal tendon's injury. Zirakashvili is just back from an injury too (Broken arm) but he is in a big form.

So the front row will be :

Faure - Kayser - Zirakashvili (Debaty - Paulo - Kotze)

Kotze will normally make his debut for France this summer in Argentina (he will replace Ric who was expected by Phillipe Saint-Andre).

For those who don't know and just say a lot of things without knowing something, Michelin is no more giving a lot of money (around 7-8% of the budget, just a little more than Credit Agricole, Volvic, Renault and Jacquet)...
"Worst Olympic Game Ever"
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Proudleinsterman wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:

b) Domingo, Paulo, Ric

Domingo is still recuperating from an ACL injury, so it is unlikely he will be rushed back, Zirakashvili is their rock but is normally knackered by the 50min mark any way. Would not be too worried by the others, we have much more mobility in Healy and Strauss who are like 2 Duracell bunnies on speed. Scrum will be intriguing, they beat Saracens frontrow up but by all accounts their scrum has been ordinary in the french league. Don't forget we got the better of them in the frontrow in the last meeting, Ross was immense.

truth is that the sarries scrum was poor in the first half. add in some dubious reffing decisions and you get all the penalties going asm's way. perfect example is the first scrum penalty, matt stevens blatantly pulled by whatsisface to wheel the scrum ... ref pinged the wrong team penalty asm. the penalty count in the first half at least was not a fair reflection of the scrum status, imho.

once sarries sorted their sh!t out they more than held their own. i'm pretty sure we can do the same ... provided mike ross stays healthy :)

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill