Clermont - The Game

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Clermont - The Game

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Our game management was suspect at times in that 2nd half. We had ample opportunities for at least 2 drop goal attempts but declined and then lost posession.
Leo Faure wrote: ".......The Auvergne could also have the ability to switch seeded next year, so benefit from a chicken more affordable"
. :D
3 Gold Stars
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

The FAURE interview is interesting. However I noticed he couldn't help resort to blaming our lack of relegation in the league as to being perfectly molded for the H-Cup.

Coming from a squad with probably the best depth in Europe, that's rich... ;)
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

AdamK wrote:The FAURE interview is interesting. However I noticed he couldn't help resort to blaming our lack of relegation in the league as to being perfectly molded for the H-Cup.

Coming from a squad with probably the best depth in Europe, that's rich... ;)

Clever use of the pun :wink:
3 Gold Stars
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I almost forgot because I was half drunk, but does anyone else remember almost dieing on the Bristol flight on saturday morning that almost crashed? We almost didn't make the match! :D
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

AdamK wrote:I almost forgot because I was half drunk, but does anyone else remember almost dieing on the Bristol flight on saturday morning that almost crashed? We almost didn't make the match! :D
I've often been on that plane. What happened?
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Hippo wrote:
AdamK wrote:I almost forgot because I was half drunk, but does anyone else remember almost dieing on the Bristol flight on saturday morning that almost crashed? We almost didn't make the match! :D

We came in on approach, and the viability was so bad that you could barely see the wings... So waiting for the ground to come out of the soupy fog, then suddenly we were pinned back in our seats as the plane climbed and accelerated suddenly. The pilot at the time said he couldn't see the run way so he made a new approach on the other run way. The second time was a bit more successful, but the pilot then told us (as according to law they have to), that airtraffic control had put planes onto the runway we were trying to land on for departure.... So a near collision basically! Ooops! We were all still half pissed from the night before, but that sobered us up a little but also added to the banter! :D
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

IT was the Ryanair 6.25 to bristol btw.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

AdamK wrote:
Hippo wrote:

We came in on approach, and the viability was so bad that you could barely see the wings... So waiting for the ground to come out of the soupy fog, then suddenly we were pinned back in our seats as the plane climbed and accelerated suddenly. The pilot at the time said he couldn't see the run way so he made a new approach on the other run way. The second time was a bit more successful, but the pilot then told us (as according to law they have to), that airtraffic control had put planes onto the runway we were trying to land on for departure.... So a near collision basically! Ooops! We were all still half pissed from the night before, but that sobered us up a little but also added to the banter! :D
Something of nothing. I've had a few TOGA's (Take Off/Go Around) in my life, (into Heathrow and Dublin). Standard Operating Procedure in the industry when a plane in front is a bit lax in exiting the runway or slow on the Take Off Roll. You were in no danger at all. Had an incident once at Madrid when flying to Valencia with Iberia on a 50 seater CRJ Jet. We were on the Take Off roll and getting close to take off speed when the anchors went on big time. Plane came to a halt. Pilot came on and said something in Spanish. Cue nervous laughter and relieved looking people in the cabin. (I hadn't a rashers what was going on, but assumed we had a close shave). Still safer than crossing the road.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Hornet wrote: Something of nothing. I've had a few TOGA's (Take Off/Go Around) in my life, (into Heathrow and Dublin). Standard Operating Procedure in the industry when a plane in front is a bit lax in exiting the runway or slow on the Take Off Roll. You were in no danger at all. Had an incident once at Madrid when flying to Valencia with Iberia on a 50 seater CRJ Jet. We were on the Take Off roll and getting close to take off speed when the anchors went on big time. Plane came to a halt. Pilot came on and said something in Spanish. Cue nervous laughter and relieved looking people in the cabin. (I hadn't a rashers what was going on, but assumed we had a close shave). Still safer than crossing the road.
Yep, agree about the no danger part. I'm actually a trainee pilot myself (rotary, not fixed), so I found it all very fascinating. But still, coming onto a runway with no visibility at a few hundred knots and then being told there was another plane on the runway makes you think! :D
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Memories and Inspiration for next Sunday......
April 29th 2012......
Heineken Cup Semi Final in France....
Epic match, epic memories.....
Epic victory......
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjxFow0FLRQ&t=2s

Yeah. Absolute classic. The Noise of those Clermomt fans.
It's funny everytime I watch the above video, I get nervous, I still think they're gonna score there at the end.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

blockhead wrote: April 29th, 2021, 8:45 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjxFow0FLRQ&t=2s

It's funny everytime I watch the above video, I get nervous, I still think they're gonna score there at the end.
2 things about that...

(1) I had forgotten what a mess the scrums were then ... and
(2) Leo Cullen assaulted in the last breakdown :D
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

alanair wrote: April 29th, 2021, 10:53 am
blockhead wrote: April 29th, 2021, 8:45 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjxFow0FLRQ&t=2s

2 things about that...

Jaysus, Brad Thorn throwing himself under the horses (not sure how legal he was) to allow SOB to make the turn over. Epic stuff :D
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

2 things about that...

Two more things.
(3) Sexton shouting big scrum, big scrum withinn ear shot of Barnes during the TMO review.
(4) Clermont couldn't kick to touch after 80 mins because the laws hadn't been changed yet.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jaysus some of those final rucks were absolutely vicious.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Also, Johnny firing the ball into the sea of yellow and jumping in front of them :lol:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

2 things about that...

Julien Bardy enters the ruck with a flying headbutt on Leo, quickly followed by a fishhook or an attempt anyways, then a neck roll followed by a punch and another neck roll. But does Leo let go of the 2 lads he's holding in the ruck? Does he FU*K!!!
A true man of steel. Blue Steel.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

That was the most intense rugby moment I have ever experienced either in person or on TV. Just beats the relief of the 2009 GS.

#Inspiration
BlockB
Bookworm

Post by BlockB »

backrower8 wrote: April 29th, 2021, 12:21 pm That was the most intense rugby moment I have ever experienced either in person or on TV. Just beats the relief of the 2009 GS.

#Inspiration
+1

Right up there with Cardiff 2011 for me. Clermont fans probably tip it over the edge as my best sporting experience.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: April 29th, 2021, 12:08 pm

2 things about that...

Julien Bardy enters the ruck with a flying headbutt on Leo, quickly followed by a fishhook or an attempt anyways, then a neck roll followed by a punch and another neck roll. But does Leo let go of the 2 lads he's holding in the ruck? Does he FU*K!!!
A true man of steel. Blue Steel.
Yip. When Leo talks the talk to the younger generation, they can be in no doubt, that he's walked the walk...