George Hook

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cwebber82
Knowledgeable

George Hook

Post by cwebber82 »

Can somebody please tell me why George Hook is still a rugby pundit on RTE? He is a complete and utter embarrassment.

Calling for Joe Schmidt to be fired after four games in September 2010, completely unfair criticism of Heaslip, SOB, BOD, Sexton, Luke Fitz etc.

Is it just an irish thing that we have these controversial pundits, Dunphy and now Hook? They talk absolute horseshit. It gets boring very quickly.

Is it not time the plug was pulled?
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Re: George Hook

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

A lot of us have pulled the plug. We watch the games on BBC instead.
A proud Winsome Fluter
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:A lot of us have pulled the plug. We watch the games on BBC instead.
I wholly endorse this product event or service. Brian Moore can be irritating too, but he has nothing on George.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

johng wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:A lot of us have pulled the plug. We watch the games on BBC instead.
I wholly endorse this product event or service. Brian Moore can be irritating too, but he has nothing on George.
+1
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

cwebber82 wrote:Can somebody please tell me why George Hook is still a rugby pundit on RTE? He is a complete and utter embarrassment.

Calling for Joe Schmidt to be fired after four games in September 2010, completely unfair criticism of Heaslip, SOB, BOD, Sexton, Luke Fitz etc.

Is it just an irish thing that we have these controversial pundits, Dunphy and now Hook? They talk absolute horseshit. It gets boring very quickly.

Irish television in general is an embarrassment...in fact most things about Ireland at the moment are embarrassing...a pathetic, passive, supine nation of lemmings...when the Euro fiscal union becomes a reality in a year or so, I for one cannot wait for the Dail/Seanad being shut down and Government Buildings being sold off to the Chinese for scrap... :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :clap: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

cwebber82 wrote:Calling for Joe Schmidt to be fired after four games in September 2010, completely unfair criticism of Heaslip, SOB, BOD, Sexton, Luke Fitz etc.
I agree completely with you. Stephen Jones in the Sunday Times works on the same principals as Hook, trying to provoke reaction, by making outlandish statements (BOD would not make his ’09 Lions Squad).

Last weekend G Hook said that Mike Ross was unfit & overweight. He has been slagging off R Kearney for the past three seasons and not so long ago he said that Tommy Bowe was not an International class winger. And as you said, saying that J Schmidt had lost the Leinster dressing room in Sept’10 – backing up his argument by including two defeats in meaningless pre-season friendlies v Wasps and Leicester.

When he is working for RTE, and if/when they decide to cover Pro12 games, it’s dreadful, his demeanor suggests that he would rather be anywhere else, he shows such little insight, enthusiasm or knowledge of the players, the teams, or the competition, that its quite frankly embarrassing for both the station and the league.

But I honestly don't know which is worse, him or T McGurk. McGurk should do what he is paid to do, host, facilitate and then shut up, and let people who know what they are talking about, like S Horgan, B Kay, C O'Shea, and even B Pope, do what they are paid to do, discuss rugby, without constantly interrupting them and interjecting his own facile opinions.

Unfortunately, the downside of Rugby’s recent phenomenal growth in popularity means that many who are new to the game and who tune into RTE to watch Rugby, believe every word that comes out of those two mouths. The image of the Rugby Club Alakadoo bore propping up the clubhouse bar is something that the IRFU and the 4 Provinces have been working hard to rid themselves of, over the past decade or more, but while G Hook & T McGurk are still on RTE it will take longer than they would hope for.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

It's not just RTÉ though: he's a pompous unprepared lazy irritating bore on those bastions of journalistic standards Newstalk and the Indo as well. So just like not watching the rugby on RTÉ, I don't listen to him on Newstalk and don't read him on the Indo.

I came across a minute of his ignorance twice during the 6N and my normally calm demeanour was disturbed.

Like Stephen Jones he is a troll given a platform (and there are many worse than them in the Irish media - Myers, Waters, that Kelly idiot...). And as Mauler points out he is frankly embarrassing in his Pro 12 coverage as he doesn't watch the games. But then I don't have to see that very often either as RTÉ bought the rights and don't bother their arses showing the games.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

At this rate Gook should get his seasonal thread in general rugby section with Ulster, Munster and Connacht!!

I have given up on Gook a long time ago and have recently stopped arguing with folk whose mouths resonate to the same tune!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
alterego
Knowledgeable

Post by alterego »

Apocrypha wrote:
cwebber82 wrote:Can somebody please tell me why George Hook is still a rugby pundit on RTE? He is a complete and utter embarrassment.

Irish television in general is an embarrassment...in fact most things about Ireland at the moment are embarrassing...a pathetic, passive, supine nation of lemmings...when the Euro fiscal union becomes a reality in a year or so, I for one cannot wait for the Dail/Seanad being shut down and Government Buildings being sold off to the Chinese for scrap... :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :clap: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
I agree. RTE is 80 minutes of rugby surrounded by 2 hours of bullshit that passes for analysis. This applies to practically all sports shown by them. They could save the licence payers a fortune by trimming all the verbal diahorreah that masquerades as informed comment.

Maybe then they'd be able to afford to show something other than GAA, Man Utd, & Munster.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

johng wrote:
BBC for me too. A much less irritating viewing experience all round.
Dont Panic!
dingbat
Mullet

Post by dingbat »

Blah blah blah...

The world is not ending because two cantankerous men play the part of pantomime dames on our sports coverage.

I'd rather have RTE's coverage of soccer or rugby, irritating though a couple of characters might be, than the bland nothingness that passes for coverage on BBC, ITV and pretty much any Sky commentary without Gary Neville (I still shudder saying that, but he's bloody good).

You guys think that Dunphy and Hook are bad? Imagine the best we offered was a Guscott, a Shearer or a Jamie f**king Redknapp.

Get a grip.

Now Ryle Nugent? There's a man who needs to be put out of his misery. The worst commentator in any sport apart from the infamous Hawk Harrelson. What Michael Corcoran did to the head guys at RTE, Lord only knows...
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

You can say all you like about George but he did call it right on that Craig Rhyland fella, I honestly can't remember a match where he turned up for us and George called him on it every time.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

dingbat wrote:What Michael Corcoran did to the head guys at RTE, Lord only knows...
Ryle Nugent is the head guy in RTE sports which might explain some stuff....
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

dingbat wrote:Blah blah blah...

The world is not ending because two cantankerous men play the part of pantomime dames on our sports coverage.

I'd rather have RTE's coverage of soccer or rugby, irritating though a couple of characters might be, than the bland nothingness that passes for coverage on BBC, ITV and pretty much any Sky commentary without Gary Neville (I still shudder saying that, but he's bloody good).

You guys think that Dunphy and Hook are bad? Imagine the best we offered was a Guscott, a Shearer or a Jamie f**king Redknapp.

Get a grip.

Now Ryle Nugent? There's a man who needs to be put out of his misery. The worst commentator in any sport apart from the infamous Hawk Harrelson. What Michael Corcoran did to the head guys at RTE, Lord only knows...

the world isn't ending, but your preference of rte's expert panel over that of the bbc or sky is baffling

of course they have a different perspective, but the bbc and sky panelists are for the most part infinitely better informed and more intelligible than hook et al.

it's a shame that rte chooses to use buffoons when it has plenty of informed commentators and experts it could call on
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

berniemac67 wrote:

Get a grip.

the world isn't ending, but your preference of rte's expert panel over that of the bbc or sky is baffling

of course they have a different perspective, but the bbc and sky panelists are for the most part infinitely better informed and more intelligible than hook et al.

it's a shame that rte chooses to use buffoons when it has plenty of informed commentators and experts it could call on
And they'd be cheaper than Hook. How such an unprofessional lazy sh!t as he is still has a job, in fact several jobs, is beyond me. I mean sure, he turns up at them, but he doesn't actually do the work at any of them and his performance is dreadful.
Yup Peggy, an annual thread for people to vent about him is in order until he does us all a favour and goes away.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

berniemac67 wrote:

Get a grip.

I think it completely depends on what competition you are watching - for me RTE and BBC are much of a muchness - RTE have Hook you is obviously a caricature, but Pope is ok and O Shea is good. BBC - Guscott and Davies I can't deal with and Wood is ok (he is good on radio). MCGurk v Inverdale - I'll go with McGurk - slightly less smug. Moore wrecks my head - don't find him entertaining and he is deperately biased. RTE would improve hugely if they gave Corcoran the gig

Sky for the HC I think have the best overall package - decent commentators (aprt from the Northern Ireland guy who manages to turn every play into some kind of comment about Ulster) and good analysts - that said the AP coverage on Sky is a bit too fawning for my liking.

That said I'm not sure why anybody would pay any attention to Hook - he never struck me as having much of a clue, would admit he was lucky to get the job and now plays up to the caricature that he has built up
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

berniemac67 wrote: of course they have a different perspective, but the bbc and sky panelists are for the most part infinitely better informed and more intelligible than hook et al.
BBC are so bland and dull that watching them isn't worth it I find. They're not really that well informed either and I find. They're educated on the top players of the game but go beyond that or outside of the comfort zone of their own nation and they aren't that much better. Someone like Conor O'Shea is infinitely more educated on the game I think and speak in a far more in depth manner without talking rubbish. You get people like Wood pushing his own preferences too still, calling for ROG to be brought on. I get a laugh out of the RTE bluster as opposed to Guscott talking for 5 minutes but saying nothing. Our own Luke Fitz is equally guilty when he's on. In the 6N, RTE for studio, BBC for commentary for me.

I'd watch Sky if they had the rights though. Bit up their own arse but they strike a balance of decent knowledge, opinions and decent production.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

dingbat wrote:Now Ryle Nugent? There's a man who needs to be put out of his misery. The worst commentator in any sport apart from the infamous Hawk Harrelson. What Michael Corcoran did to the head guys at RTE, Lord only knows...
I'll see your Ryle Nugent ("From that angle it looks that if Tommy Bowe hadn't picked off that pass there were two French players outside him and it could have been very dangerous for Ireland. That said the Irish defence were coming across so it might not have been dangerous after all.") and raise you Ger Canning ("Two teams. Both dedicated. Who will win?") and Jimmy Magee ([Insert any random waffling about a boxer's father's uncle running a shop that Jimmy was in once and how they're undoubtedly watching on and proud of the boxer as we all are proud of the great boxer who hits particularly hard.])

I can't think of a single decent commentator on RTÉ television. RTÉ2 is in HD so the pictures are better than BBC or ITV but it's best watched with the volume down.

I don't bother watching the analysis. Anybody making a half decent point is interrupted to talk about insignificant nonsense.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Broken Wing wrote: I'll see your Ryle Nugent ("From that angle it looks that if Tommy Bowe hadn't picked off that pass there were two French players outside him and it could have been very dangerous for Ireland. That said the Irish defence were coming across so it might not have been dangerous after all.") and raise you Ger Canning ("Two teams. Both dedicated. Who will win?") and Jimmy Magee ([Insert any random waffling about a boxer's father's uncle running a shop that Jimmy was in once and how they're undoubtedly watching on and proud of the boxer as we all are proud of the great boxer who hits particularly hard.])
:lol:

More of this.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

While I do watch BBC, I find Woodie every bit as irritating as Hook. Master of the cliche, aka George's command of historical references.
Woodie rarely gives any insight into what is going on - The welsh wizard is probably the best contributor after Moore.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.