The Quickening. Final stages of the inaugural Pro 12 season

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

deco
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Quickening. Final stages of the inaugural Pro 12 sea

Post by deco »

simonokeeffe wrote:we only need one more match point or Ospreys to fail to pick up a bonus point win in any of their three remaining games
i can see see us winning in Ravenhill tbh, especially with Afoa and probably Ferris missing

Ospreys not looking like picking up a bonus point win in Cardiff tonight, which would mean we're home and dry for a home Rabo Direct final, if we get that far :-)
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Ospreys don't get bonus, so we will finish the regular season in first place now no matter what happens.

Good position as we only need to focus on Clermont now. Send the academy to Ulster and Dragons if we like.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
katiefly
Bookworm

Post by katiefly »

What date will they be played?
There isn't winning or losing in rugby - only surviving.

"The pub is as much a part of rugby as is the playing field"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

TOP OF THE LEAGUE, HAVIN' A LAUGH!

Great regular season lads, wouldn't have thought this after the first two games, but excellent form now.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

katiefly wrote:What date will they be played?
The games, last season anyway, were played either side of the Heineken Cup final so............

SF should be either Friday May 11th/ Saturday 12th

The Final should be Saturday May 26th
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

RDS for semi again I wonder?
ARCD
Learner

Post by ARCD »

Cianostays wrote:
katiefly wrote:What date will they be played?
The games, last season anyway, were played either side of the Heineken Cup final so............

SF should be either Friday May 11th/ Saturday 12th

The Final should be Saturday May 26th
According to the website; semi's on 11/12/13 May, Final on 26/27

Games will probably be dates you've listed but if we win the semi we could choose to play the final in Aviva. And that would have to be on May 27th due to a football game on 26th
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I hope regardless of who we might play (perhaps Ospreys?) that the final is in Lansdowne if we make it, and regardless of what happens in a Heineken Cup semi final or final if we make it.

I think the occasion is deserving of a 50,000 stadium, for a chance to see Leinster lift silverware and last game of the season...

Even do cheap tickets and family deals for marketing and pull more crowds in, maybe get a few new fans...
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

[Jackass] wrote:I hope regardless of who we might play (perhaps Ospreys?) that the final is in Lansdowne if we make it, and regardless of what happens in a Heineken Cup semi final or final if we make it.

I think the occasion is deserving of a 50,000 stadium, for a chance to see Leinster lift silverware and last game of the season...

Even do cheap tickets and family deals for marketing and pull more crowds in, maybe get a few new fans...
If its an interpro then it would most likely be in the Aviva, but there are significant difficulties in organising 50k plus ticket sales in two weeks with, fingers crossed, a Heineken Cup final in between, which pretty much rules out one of those weeks.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

looks like home semi v Glasgow, Ospreys at home to Munster in other one most likely
sounds strange but if we make HC final I'd rather Munster than Ospreys for the final
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Might be a good idea to lose to Ulster next week. Otherwise they will be out of the playoffs and able to rest the week before a potential HC final. (which they are a lot more likely than us to make)

In other news.......

Munster v Scarlets is possibly the key game in the rest of the league. Munster win and they are likely to cement 3rd place. Scarlets win and they still have an outside chance of making playoffs.

We could then end up hosting Munster instead of Glasgow.

If Ulster and Scarlets both lose next week, then the top 4 will stay as it is, and there will be little riding on the last round.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

If Ulster and Scarlets are to have a chance, it will be at the expense of Munster. Obvious in the sense that Munster have to play them both, but also because Glasgow and Ospreys are likely to win their last 2 games,and both of them are ahead of Scarlets and Ulster.
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

johng wrote:Might be a good idea to lose to Ulster next week. Otherwise they will be out of the playoffs and able to rest the week before a potential HC final. (which they are a lot more likely than us to make)
Have to admit, the same thought crossed my mind. :twisted:
LEINSTER pour toujours
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Not my view. Maintaining momentum whilst focussing on pace and execution are the best preparation for a big game. Try to keep winning using your head, rather than heart, and ensuring the desire of players to work for each other and the team, are very good disciplines for any team hoping to win anything at any level.

JS is a man who seeks values not results and its become evident throughout this season that its a great outlook for this Leinster Squad
lineens weegie army
Bookworm

Post by lineens weegie army »

johng wrote:If Ulster and Scarlets are to have a chance, it will be at the expense of Munster. Obvious in the sense that Munster have to play them both, but also because Glasgow and Ospreys are likely to win their last 2 games,and both of them are ahead of Scarlets and Ulster.
Wish I was that confident!

Connacht on the final day, in front of a (hopefully) large home crowd that are rather drunk and in fine voice having watched 7's in the sun all day (some of that statement may be wishful thinking...), yes, I am fairly confident we can win that one (I wont be that confident come kick-off though) - but Treviso away on sunday is a different story. Very hard place to go, and whilst I have every confidence that we CAN win there, I'm not so sure that we WILL win. :(

Just hope by the time we kick off you guys have beaten Ulster and Munster have won in Llanelli - which would mean we could guarantee our place in the semi's with a win, or get another shot against Connacht if we lose. (think I would almost rather it did go to the last day whatever happens - would be great to make the play-off's at home this time [2 years ago we qualified due to an Embra - Ulster match after our last home game]. But then again, if we wrapped it up next week, we could just have a party for the last game at Firhill :D )

Congratulations on winning the league by the way - now, unless you lose to us, make sure you actually lift the trophy this time!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

simplythebest wrote:
johng wrote:Might be a good idea to lose to Ulster next week. Otherwise they will be out of the playoffs and able to rest the week before a potential HC final. (which they are a lot more likely than us to make)
Have to admit, the same thought crossed my mind. :twisted:
I'd much prefer Munster in a potential final, I'd be confident against either in a final, but I'd be more confident against Munster.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Seriously, John?!

There's the small matter of winning against Clermont first. I can't imagine we'd be even entertaining any ideas other than ones that help us beat ASM. Deliberately losing a match in the run-up to an away HEC semi doesn't sound like ideal preparation to me.

With a lot of the frontliners rested against Edinburgh, we need to send a strong team out against Ulster, put in a great performance, hopefully win, hopefully put a doubt in Ulster's mind about beating us and take that result to France.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

jezzer wrote:
Seriously, John?!

There's the small matter of winning against Clermont first. I can't imagine we'd be even entertaining any ideas other than ones that help us beat ASM. Deliberately losing a match in the run-up to an away HEC semi doesn't sound like ideal preparation to me.

With a lot of the frontliners rested against Edinburgh, we need to send a strong team out against Ulster, put in a great performance, hopefully win, hopefully put a doubt in Ulster's mind about beating us and take that result to France.
I agree. What I meant was that it might be good to lose this game in hindsight. i.e. not to go into it to lose, but if we did there might be an up side.

I believe we will send a full team, with 9 days to recover etc. We will want to get our systems firing for the most important game of the season.

This last segment of the season (Starting with the Ospreys game) works out in blocks that make it handy to cycle things.

Os game to get moving, Munster to get hardened, HC QF.

Embra game to rest, Ulster to get hardened, HC SF.

Dragons game to rest, then balls out for whatever games remain. (Hopefully 3)

Interpro before each HC knockout game as a way to get up to speed.

Last week I was advocating a stronger bench to ensure we lashed Embra. I should have trusted Joe. :oops: And the players. :oops:
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Send up the cavalry for Ulster. A good hard run out is required to prime us for the South of France.
3 Gold Stars
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Again, am I the only one who wants to see Munster out of this asap? The longer they are in it, the bigger the chance they might win it. Get them out before the semis and worry about whoever we play then.