Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Montpellier

Post by Degz »

amateur ;)
Montpellierian

Post by Montpellierian »

Hello,

only two weeks to wait again and the D-Day will be there.
I don't dream of a victory because we are already sacked of the H-Cup. But i hope to spend a good week-end in Dublin, as good as the week-end i sepent when you were in Montpellier!!!!

See ya.....
Ici, ici c'est Montpellier!!!!!
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Welcome to the forum Montpellierian. Are many of you coming over?
Summer is ready when you are

Montpellierian

Post by Montpellierian »

Probably between 150 and 200. Not much more.
Ici, ici c'est Montpellier!!!!!
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Montpellierian wrote:Probably between 150 and 200. Not much more.
You will all be made most welcome - we look forward to seeing you. We had a great time in your city!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Montpellierian wrote:Probably between 150 and 200. Not much more.
I'm sure you'll make plenty of noise. Hope to see you in the Horse Show House pub.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Montpellierian wrote:Hello,

only two weeks to wait again and the D-Day will be there.
I don't dream of a victory because we are already sacked of the H-Cup. But i hope to spend a good week-end in Dublin, as good as the week-end i sepent when you were in Montpellier!!!!

See ya.....
Welcome to the forum.

We look forward to seeing you in Dublin also.

I believe you may "dream" of winning, although your selection sent over depends greatly on that, but I have to comment how unlucky Montpellier have been in the Heineken Cup this season. 2 draws, 2 defeats, yet only minus 8 points aggregate difference. Therefore, in 4 games, only a small score or missed oppertunity away in each from being 4 wins from 4 in the group so far. Very unlucky. It's over for this season, but I will be interested to see how Montpellier do next season.

It's a brutal competition, the margins are tiny, nothing is more difficult to win, but that's what makes it the best competition in the world.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

While this thread might have started a little early, I guess it's time to think about it now... I'm concerned about injuries. From the sounds of thinks, McLaughlin, Fitzgerald, Sexton, Strauss and the other long term injured players will be out. My team would be:

1. Healy, 2. Cronin, 3. Ross, 4. Cullen, 5. Toner, 6. Ruddock, 7. O'Brien, 8. Heaslip, 9. Boss, 10. Madigan, 11. Carr, 12. McFadden, 13. O'Malley, 14. Nacewa, 15. Kearney

16. Dundon, 17, Heinke, 18. White, 19. Browne, 20. Jennings, 21. Reddan, 22. D'Arcy, 23. D. Kearney
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

McPherson (scottish lad) reffing us.

What did Edinburgh do to have earned the right to be reffed by Fitzgibbon?
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Could it be time to partner Browne with Dev?
rathgarblue
Bookworm

Post by rathgarblue »

CiaranIrl wrote:While this thread might have started a little early, I guess it's time to think about it now... I'm concerned about injuries. From the sounds of thinks, McLaughlin, Fitzgerald, Sexton, Strauss and the other long term injured players will be out. My team would be:

1. Healy, 2. Cronin, 3. Ross, 4. Cullen, 5. Toner, 6. Ruddock, 7. O'Brien, 8. Heaslip, 9. Boss, 10. Madigan, 11. Carr, 12. McFadden, 13. O'Malley, 14. Nacewa, 15. Kearney

16. Dundon, 17, Heinke, 18. White, 19. Browne, 20. Jennings, 21. Reddan, 22. D'Arcy, 23. D. Kearney
Harsh on D Kearney, thought he did ok at the weekend and was solid in defence - IMO jury still out on that aspect of Carr's game.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Carr still fills me with fear as much as he fills opposition defences with fear; he's as likely to carve through the opposition defence as he is to run down a blind alley, turn over possession and cause us difficulty. DK is 4 years younger and has far more potential for me to become a real HEC standard player. I still think they both have significant weaknesses and need to work on their games still though.

If Madigan starts, I think Boss will start to give that extra protection and physicality in cutting down opposition back rowers from getting up a head of steam. Out of all our regulars, I think Cullen is the biggest concern. He simply doesn't seem to have the legs this year. Players were skipping past him and his carrying was the of the flop to the ground sideways every time. He looks exhausted. If McLaughlin was fit, I'd definitely consider Browne at lock and handing JH the captaincy. Once we have back row options that can jump, Cullen's spot shouldn't be guaranteed unless he ups his performances. JH wasn't up to much going forward the other day but good God he was immense in the last 10-15 minutes. His work rate was ridiculous. He seemed to be involved in making every tackle and ruck.

Sexton, obviously, will be a loss but there will be no better opportunity to give Madigan a shot. I don't think he's ready for the big stage but he never will be if we don't give him significant time in these sort of games. Psychologically, it will be a massive boost to him if he plays this one and plays well even if they put out a third string side. He'll have a winning HEC performance under his belt and that will stand to him.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ruddock starting either and I think he will if McLaughlin isn't fit. Jennings has looked alright this season but hasn't hit the heights he was at 10 months ago. Ruddock needs games at a higher level and as part of a better pack to develop and this is a good opportunity. He's also a decent enough jumper in his own right. I think Montpellier are going to put out a very weak side. Only 6 of the side that played us started last weekend and I think away from home they could be even weaker. With that in mind and likely injury absentees:

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Ross
4. Browne
5. Toner
6. Ruddock
7. SOB
8. Heaslip (capt)
9. Boss
10. Madigan
11. Nacewa
12. D'Arcy
13. EOM
14. McFadden
15. Kearney
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Regardless of Montpellier Squad and Top 14 commitments, this is our most critical home game between now and Easter weekend (April 6th, 7th & 8th) i.e. 11 weeks time. JS is the best coach in Club rugby in the world at present and IMO he will put out the very strongest team he considers Leinster has, to send a message around Europe that Leinster are defending our title with everything at our disposal.

Sexton was carrying a left ankle injury for the entire 2nd half yesterday but it appears to come from a simple turned ankle - not a collision - at about the 36th minute. The strapping applied should mean that he did no further damage and he played the majority of that half on the left wing when Glasgow had the ball.

Leo's contribution was immense. He certainly won at least two penalty turnovers in the first half and his mauling, lifting, catching restarts and general physicality are a serious example to everyone else in the pack. Sure, after 65 minutes of that, he is not as sprightly as he was in 2008, but his street smarts are invaluable. Ditto with Jennings. Have a look at the tape for the 20 minutes between half-time and 60th minute and watch how often he is the key player in ensuring that the ball comes back quickly to enable Reddan to up the pace at this vital time.

Elsewhere, some are calling for White to start ahead of Ross......!*!$%**! Madness. Our bench is getting close to the quality of the Toulouse bench is sofar as the players who come on bring a fresh physicality and a different range of skills. So Dan Human is never as good as Pouz, but he finishes the carcass that Poux has almost demolished.

IMO, Toner, McFadden, Cronin, O'Malley & McLoughlin has produced the performances in our ERC games this season to say to JS "gis a go Joe, I can do that". That is a great position for a great coach to be in and he deserves the headache of trying to solve it.

But he won't be experimenting when he selects his 23 for Saturday!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Regardless of Montpellier Squad and Top 14 commitments, this is our most critical home game between now and Easter weekend (April 6th, 7th & 8th) i.e. 11 weeks time. JS is the best coach in Club rugby in the world at present and IMO he will put out the very strongest team he considers Leinster has, to send a message around Europe that Leinster are defending our title with everything at our disposal.

Sexton was carrying a left ankle injury for the entire 2nd half yesterday but it appears to come from a simple turned ankle - not a collision - at about the 36th minute. The strapping applied should mean that he did no further damage and he played the majority of that half on the left wing when Glasgow had the ball.

Leo's contribution was immense. He certainly won at least two penalty turnovers in the first half and his mauling, lifting, catching restarts and general physicality are a serious example to everyone else in the pack. Sure, after 65 minutes of that, he is not as sprightly as he was in 2008, but his street smarts are invaluable. Ditto with Jennings. Have a look at the tape for the 20 minutes between half-time and 60th minute and watch how often he is the key player in ensuring that the ball comes back quickly to enable Reddan to up the pace at this vital time.

Elsewhere, some are calling for White to start ahead of Ross......!*!$%**! Madness. Our bench is getting close to the quality of the Toulouse bench is sofar as the players who come on bring a fresh physicality and a different range of skills. So Dan Human is never as good as Pouz, but he finishes the carcass that Poux has almost demolished.

IMO, Toner, McFadden, Cronin, O'Malley & McLoughlin has produced the performances in our ERC games this season to say to JS "gis a go Joe, I can do that". That is a great position for a great coach to be in and he deserves the headache of trying to solve it.

I'd agree with an awful lot of that, but personally, I don't think he should risk Sexton. Madigan deserves a chance given that Sexton is carrying a knock. Cullen is another one who has shipped way too much criticism of late. For example, of the three yellows everyone harped on about, one was stupid on his part, one was for a slap that never happened and the other one was a calculated risk. Fully agree about Ross and Jennings as well. Some people seem to think that if a back row is not making "barnstorming runs", they're doing nothing. I'd start Ruddock primarily because of the massive Montpellier back row.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Regardless of Montpellier Squad and Top 14 commitments, this is our most critical home game between now and Easter weekend (April 6th, 7th & 8th) i.e. 11 weeks time. JS is the best coach in Club rugby in the world at present and IMO he will put out the very strongest team he considers Leinster has, to send a message around Europe that Leinster are defending our title with everything at our disposal.

This.

I might differ in some of the names listed as he top ERC performers, but a whole heap of sense with the analysis. I think some of the forwards are struggling to last 80- but that is one of the strengths of Joe- he times substitutions really well. I know White is ahead of Ross on tries this year, but I don't think that makes him the better player :)
I think Ross was penalised harshly for a few of the scrums- and his presence in the loose was just immense. Obviously he's not sprinting down the pitch, but he is taking the ball, making a couple of good hits on would-be tacklers and winning 10-20 metres- and then presenting the ball well. This was really taking pressure off others and allowing the team to regroup- immense and I think Motm should really have gone to the three front row players.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Possibly, but I feel he's as likely to give one or two trusted youngsters like Ruddock a start just as he kept McLaughlin on the bench last season to start the youngsters when he could have pushed McLaughlin back into the side after he returned from injury. We don't need a BP to top the seedings unless Munster secure a hugely unlikely BP win. I think Schmidt will be more pragmatic than concerned about sending a message out to the rest of Europe by thumping a second string Montpellier side. Everyone already knows we're defending our title with everything we have. I'd be surprised if we went out there with our absolute, strongest side available.

As for Cullen and Jennings, they're not playing badly, they're just not at the level they were a year ago. Cullen's performance levels have dropped overall this season of that there's no doubt but they were very good last season. In the first half, he didn't have the agility to make one or two tackles that Toner made at full stretch after his partner was passed by. Jennings provides quick ball always and is fantastic at that but his work rate again isn't right up where it was in relation to making tackle after tackle and killing the attacks before they start. Schmidt recognises these things I believe. A year ago, there's no way he'd take Jennings off for Ruddock with one score between the sides after 58 minutes or Cullen with 10 minutes left and the game in the balance.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

Jennings should start IMO, Ruddock being a power sub later on. I agree we should rest Sexton as Ian needs game time, remember he is plan B in case of a more permanent injury to Jonny during the 6N. I still prefer Reddan to Boss for our preferred speed game however I acknowledge Boss was great on Sunday, again a power sub. While not a fan of young Kearney, I again think that he needs experience and is preferred if lukey is unavailable. But what I really want to see is McF at 12 and O'Malley at 13 but I suspect there are irfu marching orders at play and McF will start at 13 with D'arcy again at 12. That combo is very one dimensional IMO.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I wouldn't risk Sexton for 3 very good reasons...

1/ It's not worth risking Sextons health. If we lose him to serious injury it will put extreme stress on us in both competitions.

2/ Montpellier more than likely will not target this game and will send an under strength team.

3/ Arguably, most importantly, it's a squad game, we're at home, and Madigan has earned our trust and deserves an oppertunity if it's what's right for the whole team, and if Sexton is not 100%, I believe it's the right call and have no problem entrusting Madigan with the task and I think we would still win.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
HUDSOC
Knowledgeable

Post by HUDSOC »

[Jackass] wrote:I wouldn't risk Sexton for 3 very good reasons...

1/ It's not worth risking Sextons health. If we lose him to serious injury it will put extreme stress on us in both competitions.

2/ Montpellier more than likely will not target this game and will send an under strength team.

3/ Arguably, most importantly, it's a squad game, we're at home, and Madigan has earned our trust and deserves an oppertunity if it's what's right for the whole team, and if Sexton is not 100%, I believe it's the right call and have no problem entrusting Madigan with the task and I think we would still win.
Yes,unless the injury turns out to be only negligible,I agree go with Madigan for all the reasons above but also no harm to see how he shows as a starter in a big game in case further down the line (before or during the knock-out stages) Jonny gets crocked and we have to know what we are turning to.And sure he will be fine (just cut out some of the aimless punting out of hand...) .