Leinster v Montpellier

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Aussiedub
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Montpellier

Post by Aussiedub »

Must say I was sure watching it that they had their hands on the ball when he came in
After showing Munster how to win a HC final in the first attempt we will now demonstrate how to retain the HC in the following season :-)
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

That was one cold match high up in the South Stand. Looked tough down there.

Some good rugby on display. Really liked Kearney's performance, went out and showed that he's not all about taking kicks and sending them back. There was some powerful running. Highlight for me was his effort for O'Brien's try where he did a short pass and immediately bound onto O'Brien and helped him reach the line. His try was extremely well taken too.

It wasn't a glorious finish but it certainly was something in the first half. Cutting attack and strong defence.

Just hope injuries aren't serious.
QBer
Knowledgeable

Post by QBer »

sid wrote:What was all the ironic cheering about when they were about to kick their penalty?
My neighbour at the match thought it was the fact that they were no longer going for a try because there was no point after all their previous unsuccessful attempts, and a penalty was all they could hope to get points from.

Someone else yesterday evening suggested that it's a French / Super 14 type tactic to wind down time with all the scrums during the 15 minute siege, particularly when they could have gone for a penalty - it stopped us getting any points for that length of time.
sontaran man
Knowledgeable

Post by sontaran man »

LeinsterLeader wrote:I though Damian Browne had a good game in relation to his general ball carrying and hard hiting but he was involved in two incidents and I'd like to get other peoples opinion on them. Firstly, the yellow card looked (from where I was sitting) one of the stupidest penalties I've ever seen. It looked like he just ran in from the side and tackled the guy. However i'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt so was there any mitigating circumstances I might have missed? Was the ball already out of the ruck or anything?

Secondly, the tackle him and Toner (I think) put in on the Montpellier guy that sent him flying backwards looked like a blatent shoulder charge from Browne in which case it should have been a penelty and possible second yellow?

In fairness I haven't seen the incidents again on video yet so I could be mistaken. Any opinions?
I liked the bit of dog that Brown brings to the pack but a card in the wrong game could be expensive.
Might need to tone it down a bit but not loose it altogether.
I thought Redden was beyond bad. Anyone think he looked clueless, undecided and out of his depth
leinster rugby .............The Lion goes from strength to strength
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Strauss has to be pound for pound one of the hardest and fearless tacklers around. Towards the end of Montpellier's endless period of possession in our 22, he put in 3 savage tackles to help push them back.

Happy with the result. Joe got the selection of Browne right. He was very effective in the close quarter exchanges.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Did anyone notice while watching the highlights that Patterson seems to be a real pompus git?
When Ferg was taking a kick in the first half that needed Boss, he had to hurry up after a really wankerish comment by Patterson, and I believe something similar happend for the sole Mont kick.
Awful ref, anyone notice the last play of the first half? Shocking decision.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Just as a quick FYI to the person who plays the music whenever there is a score in the RDS, if you ever play "Chase The Sun" again after there is a score, I will hunt you down and kill you dead.
It's a rugby match, not the f%~king darts. :evil:
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The PA wasn't working in the Dressing Room terrace, so I didn't hear it, but if he did, LM, I will join you on your quest!
I have Bumbleflex
HUDSOC
Knowledgeable

Post by HUDSOC »

Leinster Lout wrote:Strauss has to be pound for pound one of the hardest and fearless tacklers around. Towards the end of Montpellier's endless period of possession in our 22, he put in 3 savage tackles to help push them back.

Happy with the result. Joe got the selection of Browne right. He was very effective in the close quarter exchanges.

I agree on both counts.For me Strauss is the overall number 1 hooker and still ahead of Cronin.Throwing-in at line-out more consistent, his defensive work about the field superb (makes him an auxialry back-rower) and a very effective ball-carrier.Cronin is a very worthy no. 2 (as in 2nd place to Strauss) and maybe with ball in hand might shade it butof the 2 is more the impact off the bench player to Strauss's starting.
Also I think Browne (putting aside the daft yellow card) did well.I like his physicality in the tight,seems the closest we have in terms of a 2nd row to replicating what Nathan Hines used to give us.
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

wixfjord wrote:Did anyone notice while watching the highlights that Patterson seems to be a real pompus git?
When Ferg was taking a kick in the first half that needed Boss, he had to hurry up after a really wankerish comment by Patterson, and I believe something similar happend for the sole Mont kick.
Awful ref, anyone notice the last play of the first half? Shocking decision.
To be fair, he was informing Ferg that he only had 20 seconds left to take the kick. A real w&%ker would've have let the time pass without saying anything. He was an awful ref though. He was far too happy to let the scrums reform at their glacial pace, and he stopped the match when one of the Montpellier backs had a sore foot - b*%&!x to that, PLAY ON!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ceemec wrote:
Donny B. wrote: Haven't heard anything but hopefull it was more precautionary than anything. Was having a cracking game as well.
Hope so. He was having a cracker alright. Stats say he made 44m with ball in hand in only 48 minutes. He was getting the nudge on in some scrums too. Slow start back after the WC but lately he is back to his world class best. It's scary that he's 24. Guaranteed Lion in 18 months unless something drastic happens.
Funny you mention the slow start after the RWC. I think this has been a factor with a few of the front line players and not just from Leinster.
SOB is another who has only recently started to crank it up. Ross has also been relatively off a bit.
Conversely others such as Court and Ryan, who were underplayed, have been playing their best rugby.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

sontaran man wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:I though Damian Browne had a good game in relation to his general ball carrying and hard hiting but he was involved in two incidents and I'd like to get other peoples opinion on them. Firstly, the yellow card looked (from where I was sitting) one of the stupidest penalties I've ever seen. It looked like he just ran in from the side and tackled the guy. However i'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt so was there any mitigating circumstances I might have missed? Was the ball already out of the ruck or anything?

Secondly, the tackle him and Toner (I think) put in on the Montpellier guy that sent him flying backwards looked like a blatent shoulder charge from Browne in which case it should have been a penelty and possible second yellow?

In fairness I haven't seen the incidents again on video yet so I could be mistaken. Any opinions?
I liked the bit of dog that Brown brings to the pack but a card in the wrong game could be expensive.
Might need to tone it down a bit but not loose it altogether.
I thought Redden was beyond bad. Anyone think he looked clueless, undecided and out of his depth
And bad timing with the 6Ns coming up. I'd hate to be his psychologist, coz there's either too much going on in there or else nothing!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Leinsterman wrote:Just as a quick FYI to the person who plays the music whenever there is a score in the RDS, if you ever play "Chase The Sun" again after there is a score, I will hunt you down and kill you dead.
It's a rugby match, not the f%~king darts. :evil:

And while you are at it, can whoever works the PA also stop the friggin heartbeat shite that was played while waiting for the tmo - dont need that b*%&!x thanks very much
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Not getting 4th try cost us home semi.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

[Jackass] wrote:Not getting 4th try cost us home semi.
I thought that was decided by a random draw or some chyte. Has it changed?
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Really? Nah! That could only be claimed if we knew the semifinal draw before the match. It could easily have worked out that second seeding gained us the home semi chance.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

That's one way of looking at it Jackass, but chaos theory wouldn't back it up. A different 1-8 would have resulted in an imperceptibly small difference in the timing of the draw, which would have resulted in a totally different outcome.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: You have to love the knowledge.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Oh, now I get it.

:(
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Montpellierian

Post by Montpellierian »

I just would like to thank leinster supporters for the very good week-end montpellierian fans spent in Dublin.
I really enjoyed the atmosphere in RDS. We tried to sing as loud as you, but it was to much dificult.

Now, hope to come back next season.... :D
Ici, ici c'est Montpellier!!!!!