Tommy Bowe & Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Tommy Bowe & Leinster

Post by Danthefan »

Donny B. wrote:Who knows! Payne has actually played far more rugby at centre anyway and you never know who's going to get injured. Either way I don't think it would just be a case of Gilroy being automatically banished if Bowe came back.
Who does know I suppose. What I do know is that Payne was signed as a fullback. It would be a very strange move to go and sign another, both of whom are very good players.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Don't think Bowe or Ireland would benefit from him being in Munster. Howlett at the highest level, 62 tests for NZ, 49 tries. Howlett at HEC level with Munster, 28 games, 9 tries. Bowe would not see enough decent ball at all. He needs to be playing in a good back line to get the most out of him or he'll stagnate. If Munster don't have centres that will make use of his talents, he shouldn't head there. With Downey looking likely to sign, I don't think there's going to be a significant change in Munster's approach any time soon. ROG, Downey and Earls providing the ammunition? He'll get about one try in every 4 games at HEC level. He has 16 in 25 for the Ospreys. I'd much rather see him at Ulster playing alongside the future Irish backs, staying sharp and helping their development.

Unfortunately, money talks. By going to Munster, Bowe would be eligible for the tax back scheme which would be worth huge money to him if he spent 5 years there on a big salary. He's 28 next week so he knows this contract is going to be the biggest he'll ever sign. I can see him signing a 3 year deal with a province. Howlett will probably leave this summer which would free up a wedge of cash for potentially signing Bowe.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

ceemec wrote:Howlett will probably leave this summer which would free up a wedge of cash for potentially signing Bowe.
It will be a central contract so IRFU money not Munster money.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Not saying Gilroy would be having to line out for Dungannon but Payne was signed on ridiculous money (for a non international/project player) so he'd play fullback (utility back at Blues bit signed as a fullback for Ulster) and Bowe and Trimble would start. Poor Adam Darcy would have to try and win another contract in his cereal box or however he got the last one. Am a big fan of Gilroy and would like to see him in the post BOD Ireland team with Bowe (at Ospreys) at 13

Bowe would need 10 years resident/playing in the Republic of Ireland to avail of the McCreevy tax break so Sterling would make him a lot more. He's big/class enough to dictate terms ie release for Ireland sessions so he'd make way more from playing in the Premiership, be nice to see one good skin at Northampton :D
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

simonokeeffe wrote:Not saying Gilroy would be having to line out for Dungannon but Payne was signed on ridiculous money (for a non international/project player) so he'd play fullback (utility back at Blues bit signed as a fullback for Ulster) and Bowe and Trimble would start. Poor Adam Darcy would have to try and win another contract in his cereal box or however he got the last one. Am a big fan of Gilroy and would like to see him in the post BOD Ireland team with Bowe (at Ospreys) at 13

Bowe would need 10 years resident/playing in the Republic of Ireland to avail of the McCreevy tax break so Sterling would make him a lot more. He's big/class enough to dictate terms ie release for Ireland sessions so he'd make way more from playing in the Premiership, be nice to see one good skin at Northampton :D
They're treating Payne as a younger Nacewa without the pesky international cap. That's why they're paying so much, he still had a chance of New Zealand gametime and that was worth money.

The money isn't so bad if that's what Ireland end up with, an IQ Nacewa.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

if Jared Payne was in the same league as Isa in NZ he'd have been capped
at best he'd be a younger Shaun Payne

all rumours and innuendo but story was he was on same money as Afoa which is crazy
Turnip Boy
Knowledgeable

Post by Turnip Boy »

simonokeeffe wrote:Not saying Gilroy would be having to line out for Dungannon but Payne was signed on ridiculous money (for a non international/project player) so he'd play fullback (utility back at Blues bit signed as a fullback for Ulster) and Bowe and Trimble would start. Poor Adam Darcy would have to try and win another contract in his cereal box or however he got the last one. Am a big fan of Gilroy and would like to see him in the post BOD Ireland team with Bowe (at Ospreys) at 13

You don't need to play 10 years to avail of the tax break - you can claim up to 10 years.
“It was a very simple gameplan, not the type of gameplan that would work for the Wallabies. I think it’d be too restrictive on the talent we have.” - Rocky on Leinster's style of rugby.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

yeah you're right actually, can pick best 10 years financially too, way it was always reported read to me like they had to play here for 10 years

still the crux of the matter is Bowe would cold on the wing for Munster
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

I see Bowe going to France. He is already showed he can live away from home and I just see a French Club paying possibly 500k. The IRFU is reducing contracts and Bowe is already established and too good to be given the Geordan Murphy or Bob Casey treatment.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

He should go to:
France if he's after money;
Ulster if he wants to play for his province;
Leinster if he wants to win silverware, play in Ireland, be part of one of the best squads in Europe;
Munster if he wants none of the above.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

deco wrote:He should go to:
Leinster if he wants to win silverware, play in Ireland, be part of one of the best squads in Europe;
How is Munster not in Ireland? :roll:

Did you mean outside Ireland (i.e. the pale)? :lol:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Apocrypha wrote:
deco wrote:He should go to:
How is Munster not in Ireland? :roll:
1 outa 3 ain't bad. :lol:
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Apocrypha wrote:Did you mean the pale? :lol:
FYI it's The Pale.

Get it right Dude. :D
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

are the new premiership wage limits coming in for next season or season after (limit goes up and they're allowed one marquee player who doesn't count for wage limit)?
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Can't see Bowe going to France. I don't think he'd command more than €350-400k over there and would play in a significantly more demanding environment where every game is a scrap. The big sides are all well served by wingers and Bowe hasn't put himself in the shop window massively with his Irish performances in the past year overall in reality. He has been solid but not as good as he was in 2009 and 2010 when he was on fire. He score three tries in 2011 for Ireland, 2 of which came against USA. The moment people will recall most from 2011 was his interception against Australia where he didn't have the legs to make the line. He's a quality player but his biggest selling point for any potential suitors right now is the fact that he's Irish and would allow Munster/Ulster to sign a player in another position. For that reason I can see him being offered over €300k by a province and he's be able to claim a nice chunk of money back when he calls it a day if he plays for Leinster or Munster which would offset the potential difference between a salary here and with one of the French sides.

From his perspective, I can see Munster being the destination. Well looked after, nice tax rebate, family down there. All good for him. Bad for Ireland though unless they change things.