Bath v Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Edna Kenny
Graduate

Re: Bath v Leinster

Post by Edna Kenny »

The ref seemed very indecisive with some decisions, he put his hand up indicating a penalty a couple of times without blowing the whistle. He made mistakes on both sides. I really thought there would be a binning when Nacewa almost got to the line in the second half.

All in all it was a lucky escape. I don't think they will make as many errors in attack again, the minds will be focussed watching the replay. A few years ago Leinster would have lost that game but they kept their heads. Our defence was excellent, we seemed to have 2 tacklers every time, Bath weren't that creative in attack which helped.

Bath is a great city, it's so nice to be in the city centre and stroll down to the ground. We're lucky to have the same in Dublin with the RDS and Aviva.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Anyonee have a link to watch the game again? My bloody sky box failed to record it, so much happened in the match that I only half saw at the game! Really need to watch it again!
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Edna Kenny wrote:The ref seemed very indecisive with some decisions, he put his hand up indicating a penalty a couple of times without blowing the whistle. He made mistakes on both sides. I really thought there would be a binning when Nacewa almost got to the line in the second half.

All in all it was a lucky escape. I don't think they will make as many errors in attack again, the minds will be focussed watching the replay. A few years ago Leinster would have lost that game but they kept their heads. Our defence was excellent, we seemed to have 2 tacklers every time, Bath weren't that creative in attack which helped.

Bath is a great city, it's so nice to be in the city centre and stroll down to the ground. We're lucky to have the same in Dublin with the RDS and Aviva.
Eh, no...The journey from the centre of Dublin to the Aviva is a complete joke. The transport infrastructure is pre-historic. The last time I was there - Vs France in the 6N - there was one train from Connolly, for which we waited 40mins, and arrived at Landsdowne 20mins before the match. Still no train to or from the airport - total shambles of a city from a public transport perspective.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Apocrypha wrote:Eh, no...The journey from the centre of Dublin to the Aviva is a complete joke. The transport infrastructure is pre-historic. The last time I was there - Vs France in the 6N - there was one train from Connolly, for which we waited 40mins, and arrived at Landsdowne 20mins before the match. Still no train to or from the airport - total shambles of a city from a public transport perspective.
Em why were you getting a train from Connolly to Lansdowne Rd? It's hardly a 15 minute walk and you soak up the atmosphere with packed pubs and loads of fans also walking the same way.

I'll give you the shambles that is the rail access to the airport and I wouldn't rely on Dublin Bus for anything other than to try and knock me off my bike but seriously next time you're in town for a game just take a nice stroll accross the city. It is genuinely a great walk.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Connolly isn't in the city centre. No more than Heuston is. It is in the inner city (that would be the canals or circular roads), but not the city centre. It's quite a walk from Connolly to most of the city centre. The equivalent in London would be Waterloo to Wembley or something.
The journey from the centre of Dublin to Lansdowne Rd. is, as Edna says, a stroll. Or a bus. I don't recommend using the Dart for matches as the station is usually closed. Awful hike from the city centre out to Croker though.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Apocrypha wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:The ref seemed very indecisive with some decisions, he put his hand up indicating a penalty a couple of times without blowing the whistle. He made mistakes on both sides. I really thought there would be a binning when Nacewa almost got to the line in the second half.

Eh, no...The journey from the centre of Dublin to the Aviva is a complete joke. The transport infrastructure is pre-historic. The last time I was there - Vs France in the 6N - there was one train from Connolly, for which we waited 40mins, and arrived at Landsdowne 20mins before the match. Still no train to or from the airport - total shambles of a city from a public transport perspective.
why not walk? it's nice, and you could even stop in a pub on the way to make good use of the time you'd save compared to waiting for a train
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

I would say that relatively, both Dublin stadiums have pretty good transport and access. My point was more that having stadiums right in city centres, like the Millenium Stadium, Aviva & The Rec is great for atmosphere on match days. I was with friends from Cardiff yesterday who said they thought attendences at Cardiff's home games had suffered as a result of not being bang in the centre of town. I think they got 7000 on Friday even though they're top of their group.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Edna Kenny wrote:I was with friends from Cardiff yesterday who said they thought attendences at Cardiff's home games had suffered as a result of not being bang in the centre of town. I think they got 7000 on Friday even though they're top of their group.
I sometimes wonder why the WRU didn't just go with an option of opening the lower tier of the millenium stadium. I think you'd probably get a lot more fans heading along if games were there slap bang in the middle of Cardiff and unlike Edinburgh I'd say the millenium could handle a lowish attendance. They should look at shifting some bigger games.
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Fair point each and all the above posters re: Connolly to the Aviva.

Unfortunately, I attended the game with a local who clearly didn't know his arse from his elbow.

For future reference, how long is the walk from the Temple Bar?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Apocrypha wrote:Fair point each and all the above posters re: Connolly to the Aviva.

Unfortunately, I attended the game with a local who clearly didn't know his arse from his elbow.

To Lansdowne Rd? Focking miles. Gotta be a half an hour.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

On the game....

An ugly win is like a bad ride............ I'll still take it.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

I loved the "Away in a manger" Healy song yesterday, looking forward to another rendition on Saturday, very festive!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

johng wrote:
Apocrypha wrote:Fair point each and all the above posters re: Connolly to the Aviva.

Jeez pops, need a hand crossing the road!

Love the walk from city center to RDS & Lansdowne on match day
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Scott wrote:
johng wrote:

Indeed. So do the French fans! That said there is a North side to the city centre too and a walk from the wrong end of O'Connell St. to LR or RDS isn't fun if you happen to be down there. Connolly wouldn't be so bad as you could go straight across to Tara St. and you're nearly on Pearse St. anyway, and sure that's only a wee stroll away from Lansdowne.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Scott wrote:
johng wrote:To Lansdowne Rd? Focking miles. Gotta be a half an hour.

Indeed. So do the French fans! That said there is a North side to the city centre too and a walk from the wrong end of O'Connell St. to LR or RDS isn't fun if you happen to be down there. Connolly wouldn't be so bad as you could go straight across to Tara St. and you're nearly on Pearse St. anyway, and sure that's only a wee stroll away from Lansdowne.
Hop on one of about 10 different buses that will drop you off on nassau street for 50c
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

fourthirtythree wrote:Indeed. So do the French fans! That said there is a North side to the city centre too and a walk from the wrong end of O'Connell St. to LR or RDS isn't fun if you happen to be down there. Connolly wouldn't be so bad as you could go straight across to Tara St. and you're nearly on Pearse St. anyway, and sure that's only a wee stroll away from Lansdowne.
In fairness in comparison to the Southside there is very little of a commercial centre in terms of bars and restraunts to the part of the city centre that's on the Northside. Outside of Henry Street and the North Lotts there aren't really many places you'd be hanging around pre-match. It's a bloody shame the City coucil hasn't done more to encourage the development of Talbot Street and support the re-development of the Carlton site and Arnotts/North Lotts. Now that would have given the North City Centre a real jump and joined in the gap to the IFSC (also dead at weekends and past half 5, can't understand why office blocks there weren't allowed to be taller but made have shop fronts at ground level to keep streets alive).

Great to see they're finally doing something with the fruit markets though. Hope this allows Smithfield to become more accessable once the markets are done.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Scott wrote:
johng wrote:

Jeez pops, need a hand crossing the road.
No thanks sonny, and don't think you are too old for a clip round the ear.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Scott wrote:
Hop on one of about 10 different buses that will drop you off on nassau street for 50c
I haven't got one in many years but when I lived in Summerhill it wasn't worth the effort of getting a bus it took so long to get up O'Connell St. on them.

And you're right TJ, the "centre" of town (in the sense of gravitational pull of people) is definitely to the south of the Liffey. I don't think it was so much when I was a kid, it was always a bit less swish but I think it has declined relative to the Southside in commercial terms. I think the out of town shopping centres have hit that trade a little more than it has the Brown Thomas type.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:

I'd say it's probably under two miles and you're talking about 20 mins walking depending on where you are starting in Temple Bar and what part of the Stadium you're going to. Besides get on a Dublin bike and you'll be there in five mins!
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

TerenureJim wrote:Besides get on a Dublin bike and you'll be there in five mins!
Or dead.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.