Bath v Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Bath v Leinster

Post by jezzer »

fourthirtythree wrote:More popular team= More coverage. No big deal. It's just marketing and money and there are far worse examples of it out in the world that have skewed coverage of far more important things.

There's plenty of flattery for Leinster in the media as well. It will never reach the sickening love in level that Munster media saturation went to, but is that a bad thing?
Absolutely. The decline of influence of the print media in sports is massive since the hacks were giving reacharounds to the Munster lads. TV, radio and most of all internet forums like this one are putting the GTs of this world in the shade. Better insight, better connections in a lot of cases, analytical skills and less arse-licking.

Whereas it used to bother me a lot because what the papers said was what the casual rugby fan believed. But now, I don't think they have much influence anymore.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

TerenureJim wrote:Are they the more popular team though? I'd say it's really just in media circles, in general ourselves and Ulster would have similar levels of support to them and if we want to be specific well we're ahead on attendance figures (thanks Lansdowne RD).

I'm fine with the flattery when it's in a review of a game where we've cut a team to ribbons with exciting back play rather than struggled against a team that should put us away only to snatch a drop goal. I really hope we don't get the sycophantic drooling that was and is laid on Munster and all the phrases like brave & faithful etc that they've been labeled with. It covers over too many cracks in serious analysis and people start thinking their own sh!t don't stink. At this stage it doesn't look like we will and that's no bad thing.
Actually, Leinster average ML/Pro 12 attendance in 2006/07 season (10 home games) including the 'Last Stand' was 11,892 this seasons six home games (including Munster in Lansdowne) the average is 20,650 an increase of 74%. Munster's average has risen from 6,922 to 11,688 (Musgrave Park taking its toll on both seasons) a 69% improvement.

Alas, Ulster's average in 2006/07 was 10,207 (10 home games) this season it is 7,045 (5 home games). A fall of 31%

The average for their 11 home games last season 2010/11 was 8,485 a decline of 17% from 2006/07

I'm not convinced about the accuracy of the figures which the ML/Pro12 web sites provide, but its all that we have to use for comparisons. But what's clear, is that Ulsters average home crowd is declining, perhaps the new stand has reduced capacity, but I'd imagine their lack of on field success has probably been the main driver.

But we (nor Munster) should rest on our laurels, a few poor seasons of mid-table mediocracy in the Pro12 and/or not managing to get out of our group in the H Cup could easily see our gains significantly eroded.

Every cent Leinster Rugby make needs to be pumped back into our Academy, Clubs, Schools etc to ensure that there is consistent production line of young rugby players who can play for us, and where we are deficient, World Class NIQs need to be bought in to ensure our continued success.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Scrum 5
Bookworm

Post by Scrum 5 »

Yeah not sure how accurate the attendance figures are. At the Cardiff match it was announced that there were 16,000 and something in attendance. Looking around at the empty spots I can't believe that that figure is accurate.

The Leinster site has it down as 16,347 http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre ... inster.php
There's just no way the ground was circa 90% full.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

The problem with the attendance figures for RDS I think are that the gaps are usually mostly in North and South stands, so looks worse than it is, but the Grandstand is usually packed, and Anglesea, depending on match (i.e. prawn sandwich brigade) is usaually pretty good too.

We can only be delighted with our attendance and season ticket sales though. I think the Leinster rugby finances are very well managed, and I think a very strong infrastructure has been put in place. UCD campus facility wouldn't have been my #1 choice, but seeing it develop, it does make a lot of sense, and that's why I'm not running Leinster Rugby!!

But there is clearly a massive amount of re-investment and continuoes improvements from year to year.

Developing RDS would be a real jewl in the crown, if we got a good replacement for the Anglesea stand, with entire terracing along the front, corporate section in middle upper tier, and premium seating in the rest of upper tier, capacity and revenue would increase significantly.

I look forward to the day that Lansdowne Road will be our perminant home stadium. Maybe in 15 / 20 years. :green clap:
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Whole heartedly agree with the support and continued investment being needed continually. Cannot rest of laurels but I don't think we have as our academey is the most productive and we have had a much better flow of players over the past ten years as opposed to others who struck lucky with one team and are only now developing replacements.

Thanks for the attendance stats, I'm disappointed with Ulster's numbers but hopefully increased success will bring that round, as it has in Connaught in a round about way getting them a 300+% increase in season ticket holders this year. Funny as regards our attendance I seem to remember that even back in the D'Brook days we had a more solid league support attendance than Munster, they got a bump in '08 with the new Thomund but in general their corwds are very HEC centric and we seem to have a support base which appreciates the league as well as the cup.

I really hope the RDS does get a redevelopment to circa 30k so we have that mid-level stadia that the crowds can grow to fill. Honest to god is it even actually possible to get a grandstand season ticket anymore? I had one two seasons ago but had to let the seats go because of finances at the time. They're now prime retail by all accounts.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Success in sport is measured in trophies - the more we get, the bigger the crowd will be. Start losing matches then last one out turn off the lights.

At the moment there is really no problem in getting a ticket for any match regardless of the competition, when it gets hard to source tickets, then we'll be we can think we are great.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Anyway guys what's your read on where the Bath games can/will be won or lost. And Bonus point gained or conceded.
1. Unforced errors.
2. Discipline - Who's the ref?
3. Scrum
4. Lineout
5. Breakdown.
6. Forwards
7. Half Backs
8. Backs
9. Defence
10. Bench
11. Impact of Injuries

PS How do people think we've managed so far without "The Great One".
Last edited by Oldschool on December 8th, 2011, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Grind them down up front. Their tight five is not (in my opinion) as good as ours and we should just about have the edge in the back row.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

With possible exception of Donald, Bath are good but don't have anyone or any combinations to be afraid of, it's like they're England Saxons and we're an International side. We have the better front row by far, second row, back row by far, half backs, midfields even, back three by far and a much, much stronger stronger bench. They're on a miserable run of form but facing the European champions at home will wake them up a bit; weather early storm/any decent lead at any point and we should be fine barring some very bad luck and/or ref going crazy. I reckon we will win with no bonus point for Bath and a bonus point win at home the following week
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Schmidt on Newstalk now gogogogogogogo.
bathfan122

Post by bathfan122 »

Hello,

As you can see I'm an itinerant Bath fan here to say hello and post a few comments on the upcoming game if that's ok?

Leinster really should win this Bath are in a real crisis point at the moment, to cut a long story short our new owner wanted an improved performance and promptly hired Ian McGeechan to sort it out. He brought us some stellar signings and then sacked our head and attack coach - Steve Meehan, and promptly didn't replace him. As a result we play like little lost lambs when we do have the ball and thrown away good chances through very poor decision making.

The Bath squad isn't too bad, there is plenty of talent and potential... even if it isn't particularly good at international level. This includes Banahan, Donald, Claassens (although he's been off form of late), Barkley, Louw, Taylor, Caldwell, Attwood, Hipkiss & Abendanon. If we can get them fired up and working at the Rec there is a minute chance Bath can sneak it. However, you have an effective tight five and a slightly better set of loose forwards. Your backs also know what they are doing in offense and if you wear us down early on (we're defintiely not a very "fit" squad) our relatively solid defence will crumble... there is a good chance you'll be able to throw it around with some flair and enjoy yourselves.

It'll be interesting to see the result of the game, the way Bath are playing and the confidence in your squad could - dare I say it - lead to a record defeat at the Rec. We've never really played this badly and faced such a high quality outfit. In recent years the humiliation has been done by Ulster who have kept it to a gentlemanly points difference.... I hope you guys do the same! :wink:
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

bathfan122 wrote:Hello,

As you can see I'm an itinerant Bath fan here to say hello and post a few comments on the upcoming game if that's ok?

Leinster really should win this Bath are in a real crisis point at the moment, to cut a long story short our new owner wanted an improved performance and promptly hired Ian McGeechan to sort it out. He brought us some stellar signings and then sacked our head and attack coach - Steve Meehan, and promptly didn't replace him. As a result we play like little lost lambs when we do have the ball and thrown away good chances through very poor decision making.

The Bath squad isn't too bad, there is plenty of talent and potential... even if it isn't particularly good at international level. This includes Banahan, Donald, Claassens (although he's been off form of late), Barkley, Louw, Taylor, Caldwell, Attwood, Hipkiss & Abendanon. If we can get them fired up and working at the Rec there is a minute chance Bath can sneak it. However, you have an effective tight five and a slightly better set of loose forwards. Your backs also know what they are doing in offense and if you wear us down early on (we're defintiely not a very "fit" squad) our relatively solid defence will crumble... there is a good chance you'll be able to throw it around with some flair and enjoy yourselves.

It'll be interesting to see the result of the game, the way Bath are playing and the confidence in your squad could - dare I say it - lead to a record defeat at the Rec. We've never really played this badly and faced such a high quality outfit. In recent years the humiliation has been done by Ulster who have kept it to a gentlemanly points difference.... I hope you guys do the same! :wink:
I've always had a soft spot (in a manly way) for Hipskess and delighted to see Barclay back. I seem to remember seeing a documentary segment in The Rugby Club (I think) about the extent of his injury. It was a real test of his character.
I've always enjoyed when we've played Bath win or loose. Obviously a great place to visit as an away fan, and I fondly remember the story of Danny Grewcock teaching Stan Collymore a serious lesson outside a Dublin Nightclub.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

It's a shame to see the club in such relative 'crisis', they've a fantastic tradition and it's a beautiful part of the world. Despite the fact that we're on a good run I fully expect Bath to be mad up for this, it could be a very close affair.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

I'd take any kind of victory right now. I'm seriously nervous about this, it has banana skin written in fat capitals all over it.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

I can see it being pretty close as well. If it's windy we could see both teams play a lot tighter. Joe Schmidt has referred to the "sticky" pitch in several interviews. Is it really as bad as he's making it out to be? Leinster just need to play smart with territory and take points when they're on offer, then soak up any pressure when it comes. As long as there's no major issues with the set piece I think they will be ok.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Edna Kenny wrote:I can see it being pretty close as well. If it's windy we could see both teams play a lot tighter. Joe Schmidt has referred to the "sticky" pitch in several interviews. Is it really as bad as he's making it out to be? Leinster just need to play smart with territory and take points when they're on offer, then soak up any pressure when it comes. As long as there's no major issues with the set piece I think they will be ok.
Anytime I've seen the Rec on tv this season or any other it lives up to its name in that the pitch just always looks wrecked, sort of like Donnybrook circa late Feb early March when the weather has been bad and there's been a glut of schools matches.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Really nervous also about the apparent Leinster win that everyone (especially the Bath fans) seems to be predicting. I can see Bath doing a bit of a Montpellier and being really really up for this game.

My head says we are the far better side but heart has this grim fear that we might just be facing a side with one big game in them that could cause us serious trouble.
Four Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Well I think we are going to slaughter them. I have a feeling in me waters.

Of course we can go with the wrong attitude and meet the wrong Bath team on the wrong day. But I don't think we will. We have a way of lifting our intensity for the HC. And I don't think Joe and the boys are taking them lightly.

Bath could field a decent 10 12 13 combo. Claasens could come into a bit of form. But they are focked in the front row at hooker, and I can't see Flatman etc, surviving the multi phase rucking that I think we will give them.

Moody out also is not great for them, though Loew is a cracking player.

They have some fairly good guys in there eg Abendenon. Buy we have them in most positions on paper and hopefully on grass too.

I will eat humble pie if we don't win and deny them a bonus.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

I can't wait for this weekend. Absolutely love Bath.
Rugby... just before Christmas ... in the Rec... wonderful.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Just said on the radio that Donald and Louw have been passed fit to play on Sunday