A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by RoboProp »

blockhead wrote: January 31st, 2023, 11:20 pm
ronk wrote: January 31st, 2023, 11:09 pm Kids don't drink either (in theory), and they get even cheaper tickets.
Yeah but they stuff their faces with all sorts.
The kids are all right.
I'd spend less going with my mates and taking my flask than I would if I brought the tots!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

RoboProp wrote: February 1st, 2023, 9:04 am
blockhead wrote: January 31st, 2023, 11:20 pm
ronk wrote: January 31st, 2023, 11:09 pm Kids don't drink either (in theory), and they get even cheaper tickets.
Yeah but they stuff their faces with all sorts.
The kids are all right.
I'd spend less going with my mates and taking my flask than I would if I brought the tots!
Word! A constant stream of bought products is necessary with kids. Plus an older one to hand off cash to who will mind the others.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Hip flask is yer only man. No jax breaks. No missing tries because you are at the bar. No having to drink what passes for beer in stadiums. All good.

And that's from a purely selfish pov, before we even get to pi$$ing off other punters.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

johng wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:07 am Hip flask is yer only man. No jax breaks. No missing tries because you are at the bar. No having to drink what passes for beer in stadiums. All good.

And that's from a purely selfish pov, before we even get to pi$$ing off other punters.
Nail on head. You can enjoy a nice tipple during the game with the flask and save the jars post-match
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

johng wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:07 am Hip flask is yer only man. No jax breaks. No missing tries because you are at the bar. No having to drink what passes for beer in stadiums. All good.

Totally agree. I might have a pint before the game but it's hip flask all the way once I get to my seat.
Dont Panic!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

If I'm on the pints I'm sticking to the pints. Can't handle mixing my drinks like I could when I was a youngone
Anyone But New Zealand
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

FLIP wrote: February 1st, 2023, 12:12 pm If I'm on the pints I'm sticking to the pints. Can't handle mixing my drinks like I could when I was a youngone
I feel your pain! 😉
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

riocard911 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:47 pm
FLIP wrote: February 1st, 2023, 12:12 pm If I'm on the pints I'm sticking to the pints. Can't handle mixing my drinks like I could when I was a youngone
I feel your pain! 😉
Remember, it's whiskey before beer and you're in the clear, and beer before wine and you'll feel fine :D
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

RoboProp wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:13 pm
I feel your pain! 😉
Remember, it's whiskey before beer and you're in the clear, and beer before wine and you'll feel fine :D
Or as my German friends say: "Bier auf Wein, lass das sein; aber Wein auf Bier, das rat ich dir." ("Beer after wine, leave it be; but wine after beer, that I recommend.") Apologies for the lack of rhyme in translation.....
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

riocard911 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:28 pm

I feel your pain! 😉
Or as my German friends say: "Bier auf Wein, lass das sein; aber Wein auf Bier, das rat ich dir." ("Beer after wine, leave it be; but wine after beer, that I recommend.") Apologies for the lack of rhyme in translation.....
Beer before wine, you're feeling fine; wine before beer, you're in the clear
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Exactly. So no pints before or during the game = no jax & no pain.

Personally I think the downfall happens when you drink whiskey AFTER pints. Judgement gone by then.

Pints after whiskey seems to work fine and I'm old. (Well I will be after the next game)
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

A lot of it comes to how hard you're drinking. If you walk up to your seat with a pint then get one at halftime then you're making people get up 1 time if the queue is long and not at all if you're lucky.

And you might last the game without a bathroom trip.

These days I'm usually no pints, no hip flask. I've had enough at matches that I was probably obnoxious too.

Them having fun is part of the fun. I'm not that bothered by it.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

johng wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:44 pm
Exactly. So no pints before or during the game = no jax & no pain.

Personally I think the downfall happens when you drink whiskey AFTER pints. Judgement gone by then.

Pints after whiskey seems to work fine and I'm old. (Well I will be after the next game)
People look at you like you're tapped when you start on whiskey, I maintain that you're better off drinking the nice stuff when you still have taste.
Granted, if I drink at 2 matches a years these days it's a lot
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

In the days of yore, I'd take a swig from the flask whenever Ireland/Leinster scored.
But thanks to the likes of Joe, Leo and Lancaster, and now Faz, this is now no longer advisable.
Gee, thanks you guys!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 3:38 pm In the days of yore, I'd take a swig from the flask whenever Ireland/Leinster scored.
But thanks to the likes of Joe, Leo and Lancaster, and now Faz, this is now no longer advisable.
Gee, thanks you guys!
Prost!!!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

blockhead wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 3:38 pm In the days of yore, I'd take a swig from the flask whenever Ireland/Leinster scored.
Gee, thanks you guys!
An Ulster fan on the /r/rugbyunion subreddit has some drinking rules. For Leinster games these have gotten a bit silly - for example our game against Gloucester at home. The rules were:

1 finger - for every point Leinster score.

2 fingers - anyone complaining about Gloucester naming a 'B' team.

3 fingers - for every point Gloucester score.

Finish your drink - Garry Ringrose does something sexy.

I worked it out at just short of 6 pints on the first rule alone, never mind the others!
Anyone But New Zealand
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

riocard911 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:28 pm

I feel your pain! 😉
The cloggie version is simpler

bier na wijn geeft venijn, wijn na bier geeft plezier

Beer after wine is poison. Wine after beer gives pleasure.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

BBC News - Six Nations 2023: 'Smart' rugby ball being trialled in competition
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/64351834

Would assume it won't be long till this arrives in the Club Game.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

IanD wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 8:53 am BBC News - Six Nations 2023: 'Smart' rugby ball being trialled in competition

I'm just having visions of Professor Frink from the Simpsons with a gun pointed to his head by Fat Tony, and Frinky using some convoluted remote control and stopping a dead cert conversion from crossing the bar
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

IanD wrote:BBC News - Six Nations 2023: 'Smart' rugby ball being trialled in competition

Does it count the number of players each team has on the pitch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A proud Winsome Fluter