A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by wixfjord »

The42 Monday podcast is excellent. By far the most balanced, insightful and useful rugby podcast I listen too. Constantly breaking stories too.

Some of Murray's analysis is top notch.

Well worth 6 quid a month.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

wixfjord wrote: January 27th, 2023, 2:49 pm The42 Monday podcast is excellent. By far the most balanced, insightful and useful rugby podcast I listen too. Constantly breaking stories too.

Cost me €42
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

the spoofer wrote:
wixfjord wrote: January 27th, 2023, 2:49 pm The42 Monday podcast is excellent. By far the most balanced, insightful and useful rugby podcast I listen too. Constantly breaking stories too.

Cost me €42
A year though, which is €3.50 a month.

I generally think paying for “print” media is a rip off (e.g. I’d never pay for the Irish Times or anything like that), but the podcasts are worth it for the price. I listen to a lot of podcasts however, not going to suit everyone.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Serb wrote: January 27th, 2023, 3:27 pm
the spoofer wrote:

Cost me €42
A year though, which is €3.50 a month.

I generally think paying for “print” media is a rip off (e.g. I’d never pay for the Irish Times or anything like that), but the podcasts are worth it for the price. I listen to a lot of podcasts however, not going to suit everyone.
Not wanting to pay for it is one thing, but at €2.25 a week, an Irish Times subscription isn't a rip off.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

It’s just an opinion, but I think it’s a rip off for what you get.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/le ... 15754.html

‘“They have Wales internationals Liam Williams, Rhys Priestland, Tomos Williams, Rhys Carré and Ellis Jenkins in a strong starting XV.”

Absolutely p1ss poor reporting. Other than Priestland, all others are not available because they’re with Wales.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

the spoofer wrote: January 27th, 2023, 2:46 pm
joooooe wrote: January 27th, 2023, 2:02 pm
suisse wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:22 pm I see the42 is going behind a pay wall. I don't know about you all but I won't be paying for it. Their rugby content is fine and worth purchasing if they have offers available on a sport by sport basis. As in, paying, say, €15 a year for only rugby. But I'm not gonna pay 60 euro a year so the42 can pay for PA or Reuters material. I don't follow English football and that seems to be 80% of their football content. Its all available for free on the Guardian and the BBC. The comments section is an absolute mess aswell.
I'll be continuing my subscription. It's the best sports coverage out there (in Ireland) with real quality among the journalists (Murray Kinsella, David Sneyd, Gavan Casey). Ultimately, however, we can choose to pay for our media or be subjected to the race-to-the-bottom free media saturated with ads and going for click-bait sensationalism - I subscribe to The Irish Times, 42.ie and Second Captains.
Same here. I don't mind paying for decent content.
There's some decent content; but an awful lot of BS, and some of the 42.ie journalists are very one-eyed. Personally I wouldn't pay for it. Although you can disable comments, I think they should just get rid of them altogether.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I'm banned off commenting on thejournal and the42 altogether, after I pointed out in 2020 that their claim to be the super duper fact checkers and crusaders against disinformation was irreconcilable with their promoting war criminal and inveterate liar John Bolton's book bout his time as Trump's Natsec Adviser, just cos he said stuff about the then President of the United States that confirmed the prejudices of all "right thinking" people. It was worth it! Lol!!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

riocard911 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 11:34 pm I'm banned off commenting on thejournal and the42 altogether, after I pointed out in 2020 that their claim to be the super duper fact checkers and crusaders against disinformation was irreconcilable with their promoting war criminal and inveterate liar John Bolton's book bout his time as Trump's Natsec Adviser, just cos he said stuff about the then President of the United States that confirmed the prejudices of all "right thinking" people. It was worth it! Lol!!
The editor had a bit of a meltdown and tried to get someone fired over Covid 19 misinfo which was confirmed to be true by NPHET. Was quite funny in hindsight.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

The Irish Times isn't worth the subscription, in my opinion, because their European and world news sections are almost all from the Guardian, Reuters, PA or AFP. I'm not paying them to pay for someone else's content. If you go to "soccer" section on their app, only one of the top 30 articles is :P not PL. Again, paying them to pay someone else. Ken Early is a brilliant writer, but so are Jonathan Wilson, Barney Ronay and Jonathan Liew. Early's latest is about Man City, content you can get for free elsewhere, from award winning journalists. We also have Kevin Kilbane and Mary Hannigan writing about Everton. Wonderful. It's ridiculous how much English football content we see in Irish media. I doubt there's another place in the world like Ireland but that's for another day. Point is, I'm not paying them for someone else's work. The Irish Times doesn't produce enough of its own unique material to justify a subscription
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

paddyor wrote: January 28th, 2023, 1:13 am
riocard911 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 11:34 pm I'm banned off commenting on thejournal and the42 altogether, after I pointed out in 2020 that their claim to be the super duper fact checkers and crusaders against disinformation was irreconcilable with their promoting war criminal and inveterate liar John Bolton's book bout his time as Trump's Natsec Adviser, just cos he said stuff about the then President of the United States that confirmed the prejudices of all "right thinking" people. It was worth it! Lol!!
The editor had a bit of a meltdown and tried to get someone fired over Covid 19 misinfo which was confirmed to be true by NPHET. Was quite funny in hindsight.
That's hilarious!!!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Really enjoyable Molecast this week.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

There's way too much written or spoken about beer sales at the Aviva. As someone who doesn't drink at the stadium (cos the selection is mediocre and overpriced) but likes drinking, I can not understand the calls to close the bars. This doesn't seem to be a problem in other places I've been to. I hate the way the only options seem to be...
1. Sell beer, or
2. Don't sell beer

Again, there are many alternatives available. The beer already tastes terrible, so would it matter if it was poured from the bottom of the glass, which is a thing around the world? What about only consuming beer in the concourse? What about beer sellers walking up snd down the steps of the stadium? Etc
Maggs

Post by Maggs »

I don't post here that often but I do want to weigh in on this drinking thing. I appreciate people want to drink, but it's ruined the 6 Nations experience for me and it's starting to creep in to to the RDS.

I was at the Scotland and Italy games in the last 6 Nations and in both cases the atmosphere was dire - primarily (I thought) because of corporate day trippers instagramming the experience. The row in front of me at the Scotland game spent the entire time chatting, standing, drinking and leaving for the bar. I didn't see one person out of around 10 of them actually watching the pitch. All they cared about was that their corporate host got the drinks in and complaining that they couldn't get a decent gin.

Likewise at the RDS for the Ulster game before Christmas I had to stand up 16 times for one guy who was the designated beer monkey for his mates. Every 10 to 15 mins he was up and back to the bar and then up and back to the bathroom. Then had the gall on his last trip to try and elicit sympathy because his bladder was full.

I know that these are likely outliers - but I can see the value in the bars closing during the match. If you want a drink, bring a hip flask.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Maggs wrote: January 31st, 2023, 6:29 pm I don't post here that often but I do want to weigh in on this drinking thing. I appreciate people want to drink, but it's ruined the 6 Nations experience for me and it's starting to creep in to to the RDS.

I was at the Scotland and Italy games in the last 6 Nations and in both cases the atmosphere was dire - primarily (I thought) because of corporate day trippers instagramming the experience. The row in front of me at the Scotland game spent the entire time chatting, standing, drinking and leaving for the bar. I didn't see one person out of around 10 of them actually watching the pitch. All they cared about was that their corporate host got the drinks in and complaining that they couldn't get a decent gin.

Likewise at the RDS for the Ulster game before Christmas I had to stand up 16 times for one guy who was the designated beer monkey for his mates. Every 10 to 15 mins he was up and back to the bar and then up and back to the bathroom. Then had the gall on his last trip to try and elicit sympathy because his bladder was full.

I know that these are likely outliers - but I can see the value in the bars closing during the match. If you want a drink, bring a hip flask.
I endorse this message
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I love a drink, including one at a game, but I would be willing to sacrifice my enjoyment of that to stop the (unfortunately very many) people who abuse it and ruin the experience for many fans. Ideally it would be like a theatre - get your drink pre-match or post-match, or at half-time, but if you're late back to your seat, you can't get back in. Obviously that's unenforceable and as a result better to just get rid of the drink.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The South Stand of Aviva doesn't have a lot of space as its right on top of the road. There's a section there that could be made into a family zone easily enough with no drinks in seats.

Harder for internationals because of the allocation problem.

For the North and South stand in RDS we should tell drinkers to sit near the ailes and exits and people who don't want to stand to avoid those areas. See if that can make everyone a little happier.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:40 pm The South Stand of Aviva doesn't have a lot of space as its right on top of the road. There's a section there that could be made into a family zone easily enough with no drinks in seats.

Harder for internationals because of the allocation problem.

For the North and South stand in RDS we should tell drinkers to sit near the ailes and exits and people who don't want to stand to avoid those areas. See if that can make everyone a little happier.
Us drinkers should get cheaper tickets since we put more money into the IRFU coffers than the abstainers do!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Kids don't drink either (in theory), and they get even cheaper tickets.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote: January 31st, 2023, 11:09 pm Kids don't drink either (in theory), and they get even cheaper tickets.
Yeah but they stuff their faces with all sorts.
The kids are all right.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!