A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Ah lads, for f%~ks sake...... did the picture not give ye a clue?

Even by the editing in the Indo's standards this is poor.

"In the wake of their 12th successive victory in the URC that keeps them well clear at the top ahead of reigning champions the Stormers, head coach Leo Cullen confirmed the Irish captain will miss this weekend’s clash at Kingsholm as he continues to recover from the cheekbone injury he picked up in the St Stephen’s Day win over Munster at Thomond Park."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 71345.html
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 9th, 2023, 9:33 am Ah lads, for f%~ks sake...... did the picture not give ye a clue?

Even by the editing in the Indo's standards this is poor.

"In the wake of their 12th successive victory in the URC that keeps them well clear at the top ahead of reigning champions the Stormers, head coach Leo Cullen confirmed the Irish captain will miss this weekend’s clash at Kingsholm as he continues to recover from the cheekbone injury he picked up in the St Stephen’s Day win over Munster at Thomond Park."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 71345.html
Asleep at the wheel. That's abysmal.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-talent-spa ... 8-Jan2023/

I've been thinking the point of the EI tour/games is about giving team Ireland a bit of leverage in selection. Like if they get selected for Ireland at 10 when they've been playing at 12/15 they might be going back to their provinvial coach and say look I want to be a 10 etc. Farrell can already say that to a player but the provoncial coach might not agree and talk it back. But if they get picked their they can go back and say "he picked me their why won't you?" Maybe it creates an incentive to move. But what if it just crystalizes a decision to bail on Irish rugby altogether? Like if it wasn't apparent to Healy he was way down the pecking order the EI squads he can't have been in any doubt where he stood in November.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

paddyor wrote: January 9th, 2023, 12:53 pm https://www.the42.ie/ireland-talent-spa ... 8-Jan2023/

I've been thinking the point of the EI tour/games is about giving team Ireland a bit of leverage in selection. Like if they get selected for Ireland at 10 when they've been playing at 12/15 they might be going back to their provinvial coach and say look I want to be a 10 etc. Farrell can already say that to a player but the provoncial coach might not agree and talk it back. But if they get picked their they can go back and say "he picked me their why won't you?" Maybe it creates an incentive to move. But what if it just crystalizes a decision to bail on Irish rugby altogether? Like if it wasn't apparent to Healy he was way down the pecking order the EI squads he can't have been in any doubt where he stood in November.
I suspect the Healy move was largely finalised before the EI tour and he made himself unavailable/wasn't considered as a result.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ireland played an A game in November. Frawley started with Crowley on the bench. There'd have given him a game at that point if he was sure about staying. Its reasonable to suspect that he was offered something but wanted to keep his options open. He's getting out on an apparently good deal, kinda like Madigan. Even if it isn't a good move he might not replicate that kind of opportunity.

Healy was making hay for Munster when EI were touring. He was unlucky that Crowley impressed while Frawley was injured. But I think his bigger issue will have been that Faz was interested in another look at Frawley while Healy wasn't getting a look in again. He could have gone on the NZ tour easily enough.

As an aside I'm not sure whether it's that beneficial to say that it wasn't the money, it's my fragile ego when making a move.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

paddyor wrote: January 9th, 2023, 12:53 pm https://www.the42.ie/ireland-talent-spa ... 8-Jan2023/

Good point, Paddy. I hadn't thought of it like that.

Obviously Healy's move was a big rugby news item in Ireland over the last week. With your point in mind re: selection for the Emerging Ireland tour, it's worth remembering that he started Munster's first six games this season [including the two pre-season friendlies in Musgrave] and they lost five of them, the only win coming against Zebre at home. Loss vs Gloucester [F], loss vs London Irish [F], loss @ Cardiff, loss @ Dragons, win vs Zebre, loss @ Connacht.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Leinster Rugby TV going with the American spelling...

Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Don't want to derail the Six Nations thread away from rugby chat so figured I'd post here:

Netflix to go behind-the-scenes with Ireland as Six Nations gets Drive to Survive treatment
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Laighin Break wrote: January 12th, 2023, 3:40 pm Leinster Rugby TV going with the American spelling...

?... don't get it.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

riocard911 wrote: January 12th, 2023, 4:54 pm
Laighin Break wrote: January 12th, 2023, 3:40 pm Leinster Rugby TV going with the American spelling...
?... don't get it.
Well they had spelled Centre "Center", don't know what happened to my image
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Laighin Break wrote: January 12th, 2023, 7:00 pm
riocard911 wrote: January 12th, 2023, 4:54 pm
?... don't get it.
Well they had spelled Centre "Center", don't know what happened to my image
I thought you were being Meta
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I see Ulster have do or tie test with Sale according to Gerry.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

nc6000 wrote:I see Ulster have do or tie test with Sale according to Gerry.
Gerry also says that Leinster had a bonus point win away to Northampton last week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A proud Winsome Fluter
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Ha, I hadn't got that far when I posted earlier. 🫣
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I see the42 is going behind a pay wall. I don't know about you all but I won't be paying for it. Their rugby content is fine and worth purchasing if they have offers available on a sport by sport basis. As in, paying, say, €15 a year for only rugby. But I'm not gonna pay 60 euro a year so the42 can pay for PA or Reuters material. I don't follow English football and that seems to be 80% of their football content. Its all available for free on the Guardian and the BBC. The comments section is an absolute mess aswell.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

suisse wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:22 pm I see the42 is going behind a pay wall. I don't know about you all but I won't be paying for it. Their rugby content is fine and worth purchasing if they have offers available on a sport by sport basis. As in, paying, say, €15 a year for only rugby. But I'm not gonna pay 60 euro a year so the42 can pay for PA or Reuters material. I don't follow English football and that seems to be 80% of their football content. Its all available for free on the Guardian and the BBC. The comments section is an absolute mess aswell.
yeah not going to happen, shame.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

suisse wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:22 pm I see the42 is going behind a pay wall. I don't know about you all but I won't be paying for it. Their rugby content is fine and worth purchasing if they have offers available on a sport by sport basis. As in, paying, say, €15 a year for only rugby. But I'm not gonna pay 60 euro a year so the42 can pay for PA or Reuters material. I don't follow English football and that seems to be 80% of their football content. Its all available for free on the Guardian and the BBC. The comments section is an absolute mess aswell.
No I won't be either. I've read it less and less recently. Murray K seems to be more of a Munster Rugby spokesman too nowadays, or maybe that's just his Twitter.
Dont Panic!
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

I'll be continuing my subscription. It's the best sports coverage out there (in Ireland) with real quality among the journalists (Murray Kinsella, David Sneyd, Gavan Casey). Ultimately, however, we can choose to pay for our media or be subjected to the race-to-the-bottom free media saturated with ads and going for click-bait sensationalism - I subscribe to The Irish Times, 42.ie and Second Captains.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

+1.
Bad enough being 'targeted' by their advertisers but refusing to pay from all their content when I only want a tiny piece.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

joooooe wrote: January 27th, 2023, 2:02 pm
I'll be continuing my subscription. It's the best sports coverage out there (in Ireland) with real quality among the journalists (Murray Kinsella, David Sneyd, Gavan Casey). Ultimately, however, we can choose to pay for our media or be subjected to the race-to-the-bottom free media saturated with ads and going for click-bait sensationalism - I subscribe to The Irish Times, 42.ie and Second Captains.
Same here. I don't mind paying for decent content.