A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote: April 1st, 2023, 12:49 pmThey’re giving huge amounts of air/podcast time to women’s six nations but seems to cut into the usual time they have for rugby
Is the women's six nations table tennis then?
Last edited by Dave Cahill on April 1st, 2023, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have Bumbleflex
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

You’re doing Barry dirty there attributing the quote to him, it was TerenureJim.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Serb wrote: April 1st, 2023, 1:26 pm You’re doing Barry dirty there attributing the quote to him, it was TerenureJim.
You're right, thanks for that. Corrected, sorry Barry!
I have Bumbleflex
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

TerenureJim wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:28 am Anyone else listen to Wednesday night rugby on Newstalk? Bizarrely short on build up to a champions cup weekend even mentioning there being zero buzz about the inter pro element despite then being corrected that it is a sell out. They’re giving huge amounts of air/podcast time to women’s six nations but seems to cut into the usual time they have for rugby, seems a shame they can’t grow both.
They give an insane amount of time to women’s rugby given the level of interest in it. Given up listening to OTB because it’s annoying skipping half a podcast every time they upload
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

bluemagic wrote: April 1st, 2023, 2:36 pm
TerenureJim wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:28 am Anyone else listen to Wednesday night rugby on Newstalk? Bizarrely short on build up to a champions cup weekend even mentioning there being zero buzz about the inter pro element despite then being corrected that it is a sell out. They’re giving huge amounts of air/podcast time to women’s six nations but seems to cut into the usual time they have for rugby, seems a shame they can’t grow both.
They give an insane amount of time to women’s rugby given the level of interest in it. Given up listening to OTB because it’s annoying skipping half a podcast every time they upload
They have to.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 1st, 2023, 1:19 pm
TerenureJim wrote: April 1st, 2023, 12:49 pmThey’re giving huge amounts of air/podcast time to women’s six nations but seems to cut into the usual time they have for rugby
Is the women's six nations table tennis then?
No but I don’t hear/see them doing similar for soccer, football, hurling/camogie and they give zero coverage to AIL.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

Ger Gilroy not having a notion on OTB AM. Saying hopefully now Leinster can sell out the Aviva again against Leicester (and I don't think he means just the tiers that are open).

Seemed to be some live texts in complaining not enough Leinster coverage compared to others. Says sure they have all the rest of the season to talk about Leinster.
I believe that when I hear it..
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

SoupyNorman wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 12:36 pm Ger Gilroy not having a notion on OTB AM. Saying hopefully now Leinster can sell out the Aviva again against Leicester (and I don't think he means just the tiers that are open).

Seemed to be some live texts in complaining not enough Leinster coverage compared to others. Says sure they have all the rest of the season to talk about Leinster.
I believe that when I hear it..
Couldn't be arsed listening to them anymore - I just assume that over 40% of any show will be about Munster and how they're gonna reclaim their glory days. I don't mind that in itself, but my life is now too busy to watch all four provinces of a weekend so I'd actually like to have some insight for all four provinces spoon-fed to me by someone to keep me up to speed, and for that we really need an equal(ish) amount of time spent on each provinces.

simples
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The 42 podcast today is worth listening to, if only to hear the most obvious 'my mate is a coach and wants this message out in the media' example I've heard for years.

Lots of praise for Leinster etc, but the big talking point was Berch hammering home the point that Munster's coaches can only do so much and need big NIQ front row signings to compete.

Very little actual analysis of where Munster lost that game, which had little to do with the front row.

All about putting pressure on the IRFU to sing guys.

Now, without getting into conspiracy theories, who exactly do you think might have been texting Berch yesterday and asking him to sow that seed? What Munster coach has he constantly praised and defended?

He's a habit of doing this (using media to sow seeds that benefit him or his mates/players), and while he's a great analyst, it's so transparent and shreds your credibility.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:23 pm The 42 podcast today is worth listening to, if only to hear the most obvious 'my mate is a coach and wants this message out in the media' example I've heard for years.

Lots of praise for Leinster etc, but the big talking point was Berch hammering home the point that Munster's coaches can only do so much and need big NIQ front row signings to compete.

Very little actual analysis of where Munster lost that game, which had little to do with the front row.

Now, without getting into conspiracy theories, who exactly do you think might have been texting Berch yesterday and asking him to sow that seed? What Munster coach has he constantly praised and defended?

He's a habit of doing this (using media to sow seeds that benefit him or his mates/players), and while he's a great analyst, it's so transparent and shreds your credibility.
Well spotted!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I really rail against provincial point scoring usually.

But I'll make an exception here.

If Munster hadn't spunked a load of budget on re-signing a guy who clearly doesn't have the desire to be a pro rugby player (Zebo), a guy who unfortunately has been injured for 90% of his time here (Snyman), a former All Black who never fitted the game plan and has looked out of sorts since the moment he landed (Fekitoa) and wasting money on guys like Archer, Oli Morris, Chris Moore then maybe they'd have the budget to go after a real big name front rower AND kept John Ryan.

Why should the IRFU give even more money to a club that clearly has been so badly run for years?
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

Yeah, it's not that long ago he was talking up Lucas Berti Newman as the next BOD, without ever disclosing that he was good mates with and worked with the kid's father. He is notorious for it.

As bad as the days as when Frankie Sheahan used to do co-comms back in the day, while double jobbing as a rugby agent, and regardless of performance one of Frankie's clients was invariably MoTM.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:36 pm I really rail against provincial point scoring usually.

If Munster hadn't spunked a load of budget on re-signing a guy who clearly doesn't have the desire to be a pro rugby player (Zebo), a guy who unfortunately has been injured for 90% of his time here (Snyman), a former All Black who never fitted the game plan and has looked out of sorts since the moment he landed (Fekitoa) and wasting money on guys like Archer, Oli Morris, Chris Moore then maybe they'd have the budget to go after a real big name front rower AND kept John Ryan.

Why should the IRFU give even more money to a club that clearly has been so badly run for years?
Don't forget letting James Cronin go too. He's Munster through and through!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Jordi Murphy retiring.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

riocard911 wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:41 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:36 pm I really rail against provincial point scoring usually.

Don't forget letting James Cronin go too. He's Munster through and through!!
If Munster hadn't spunked a load of budget on re-signing a guy who clearly doesn't have the desire to be a pro rugby player (Zebo),
Didn't the IRFU co fund his signing? Around the same time they were offering Van gran another contract? :shock:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

On a related point, interesting to hear Thornley today talk about Munster.
Says he has it on good authority that Munster made a lowball offer to keep John Ryan and were outbid Chiefs.
Also says that the dogs on the street know Munster are losing money and so will find it hard to bring in anyone of significance due to this.

Hopefully all of that Musgrave/Thomond concert money makes up for the shortfall.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The 4 provinces probably do the prudent thing and budget their finances around the regular season games (9+2). Home knockout games treated as welcome bonus's. Leinster and to a regular enough extent Munster have become accustomed to getting a home QFs in Europe and a League knockout games too.
Munster didn't get one this year which would have been the clubs No.1 target (financially speaking) at the start of the season. 26K paying top dollar would have put have eased money worries.
They may well have played their last home game of the season in March against Glasgow.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 7:30 pm On a related point, interesting to hear Thornley today talk about Munster.
Says he has it on good authority that Munster made a lowball offer to keep John Ryan and were outbid Chiefs.
Also says that the dogs on the street know Munster are losing money and so will find it hard to bring in anyone of significance due to this.

Hopefully all of that Musgrave/Thomond concert money makes up for the shortfall.
I remember thinking when Ryan first left that he must have wanted to leave. Then this interview came out [here: https://www.the42.ie/john-ryan-munster-5799113-Jun2022/ ] and I found out that they cut him. Bonkers.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

So they basically cut Cronin and Ryan and now there's calls to sign some big names NIQs?
That's nuts.
Dont Panic!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:23 pm The 42 podcast today is worth listening to, if only to hear the most obvious 'my mate is a coach and wants this message out in the media' example I've heard for years.

All about putting pressure on the IRFU to sing guys.

Is he right though? The NIQ framework was about building depth for Ireland and IMO it’s worked, we have depth now. Given most of it comes from Leinster there’s maybe scope to loosen up the restrictions for the other provinces. It’s a better idea than cannibalising Leinster to try and prop up the other 3 IMO. TBC, I’m not saying scrap it just think if there’s little ROI in terms of players from Munster(front row) for team Ireland then is it really worth sticking to it so strictly?

And Munster have tried to keep it IQ, they signed Knox as a teenager and salanoa on the TH side and brought in loughman on the LH side. Had a few bad injuries at hooker and well as a kiwi project.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles