A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

FtD
Mullet

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by FtD »

jezzer wrote: May 9th, 2023, 2:35 pm Hayes and Quinnie are like the polar extremes that all good presenters should avoid.

One has nothing to say
One has everything to say

Loved Quinnie as a player, can't listen to him as a pundit. Hayes can't be listened to - it's like I accidentally put Spotify on 3x .
Yeah, I'm not a fan of either.

Munster fans eat it up though. OTB gave them a podcast / public therapy session together for God's sake.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

FtD wrote: May 9th, 2023, 2:42 pm
jezzer wrote: May 9th, 2023, 2:35 pm Hayes and Quinnie are like the polar extremes that all good presenters should avoid.

One has nothing to say

Loved Quinnie as a player, can't listen to him as a pundit. Hayes can't be listened to - it's like I accidentally put Spotify on 3x .

Munster fans eat it up though. OTB gave them a podcast / public therapy session together for God's sake.
We could be listening to someone as smart as this talk about rugby:

https://youtu.be/UUaXBxknxE4

Instead we have to listen to this:

https://youtu.be/hPfHhyx3grk
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

jezzer wrote: May 9th, 2023, 3:00 pm

One has nothing to say

That second one is a perfect example of standard Joe Molloy question as well - a question in 16 parts, heavily laden with his own views, opinions etc, where by the time he eventually runs out of breath and stops talking for a moment, the person he's asking the question of has absolutely no idea what the question even was.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

My biggest bugbear with Fiona Hayes is her consistent use of "rubby" instead of rugby. It should be a sackable offence.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

FtD wrote: May 9th, 2023, 3:23 pm My biggest bugbear with Fiona Hayes is her consistent use of "rubby" instead of rugby. It should be a sackable offence.
GT says it too, as does Kearney. Pet peeve!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

FtD wrote: May 9th, 2023, 3:22 pm

That second one is a perfect example of standard Joe Molloy question as well - a question in 16 parts, heavily laden with his own views, opinions etc, where by the time he eventually runs out of breath and stops talking for a moment, the person he's asking the question of has absolutely no idea what the question even was.
I know what u mean, but Joe is an absolute pro in general. Best Irish sports "anchor" bar none.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

jezzer wrote: May 9th, 2023, 3:31 pm

I know what u mean, but Joe is an absolute pro in general. Best Irish sports "anchor" bar none.
He's generally pretty good, but still has a lot of smugness to him IMO.

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

FtD wrote: May 9th, 2023, 3:23 pm My biggest bugbear with Fiona Hayes is her consistent use of "rubby" instead of rugby. It should be a sackable offence.
De Big Rubby Min!
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

I never played pro rugby, well it wasn't invented in my day, and the height of my career was 3rdB. I have been a fan of the game for over 50 yrs and in my opinion Coughlan is one of the best experts on TV. She is particularly good when co-commentating a match when her insight is usually very shrewd and informative.

I have no idea why people are not judged on the quality of their work rather than on what they might have done in their rugby careers.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

enby wrote: May 9th, 2023, 8:08 pm I never played pro rugby, well it wasn't invented in my day, and the height of my career was 3rdB. I have been a fan of the game for over 50 yrs and in my opinion Coughlan is one of the best experts on TV. She is particularly good when co-commentating a match when her insight is usually very shrewd and informative.

I have no idea why people are not judged on the quality of their work rather than on what they might have done in their rugby careers.
Totally agree; she's good.

Incidentally, I'm not sure there's any argument that playing a sport at a high level actually gives you an advantage in communicating on it to the public. You might have great knowledge or insight, but that's not the same as explaining it to the layperson. Of course, great talent is not necessarily a barrier to punditry, but often seems that the instinctual nature of high performing players doesn't aid their media skills.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

artaneboy wrote: May 9th, 2023, 11:35 pm
enby wrote: May 9th, 2023, 8:08 pm I never played pro rugby, well it wasn't invented in my day, and the height of my career was 3rdB. I have been a fan of the game for over 50 yrs and in my opinion Coughlan is one of the best experts on TV. She is particularly good when co-commentating a match when her insight is usually very shrewd and informative.

Incidentally, I'm not sure there's any argument that playing a sport at a high level actually gives you an advantage in communicating on it to the public. You might have great knowledge or insight, but that's not the same as explaining it to the layperson. Of course, great talent is not necessarily a barrier to punditry, but often seems that the instinctual nature of high performing players doesn't aid their media skills.
It gives you credibility in the eyes of the punters. I can't think of any televised sport that isn't dominated by explayers holding the mikes.
The presenters on the other hand can come from all walks of life.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

blockhead wrote:
artaneboy wrote: May 9th, 2023, 11:35 pm

It gives you credibility in the eyes of the punters. I can't think of any televised sport that isn't dominated by explayers holding the mikes.
The presenters on the other hand can come from all walks of life.
I accept it does add credibility- at least initially. But there are any amount of former great players (in all sports) who are dire analysts. Conversely many mediocre or non players are perceptive pundits, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

One has nothing to say

I watched the first video.

Immediately I knew then when I clicked on the second to see it was OTB I could close it down.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Cantwell by a mile. She is so professional and informed.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

the spoofer wrote: May 10th, 2023, 9:20 am

She's very good too. Maybe a little earnest. But I'd personally go with Joe.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

the spoofer wrote: May 10th, 2023, 9:20 am

Strong agree, Cantwell is excellent.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

James Tracy's weekly OTB spot is becoming a must watch.

Brilliant communicator and really good insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te8qQKP ... OffTheBall
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

wixfjord wrote: May 10th, 2023, 7:23 pm James Tracy's weekly OTB spot is becoming a must watch.

Plus absolutely no problem is responding without needing to think what his feelings were for derby days with Munster! Really enjoy his take on things
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Theleinsterlad wrote: May 10th, 2023, 7:43 pm
wixfjord wrote: May 10th, 2023, 7:23 pm James Tracy's weekly OTB spot is becoming a must watch.

Plus absolutely no problem is responding without needing to think what his feelings were for derby days with Munster! Really enjoy his take on things
Very good.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

He really is both interesting and entertaining. His low key delivery is excellent too. His honesty about Scannell was refreshing