A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Dexter »

Grumpy Old Man wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:40 am
IanD wrote:BBC News - Six Nations 2023: 'Smart' rugby ball being trialled in competition
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/64351834

Would assume it won't be long till this arrives in the Club Game.
Does it count the number of players each team has on the pitch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Couldn't believe it the other day when I turned on the TV news and the main story was about a club GAA match having to be replayed, followed by news about Irish politicians calling eachother names and asking eachother to resign, then the less important stuff like housing crises, fatal floods and the war in Ukraine.

Probably one for the rant thread :)
Dont Panic!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Grumpy Old Man wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:40 am
IanD wrote:BBC News - Six Nations 2023: 'Smart' rugby ball being trialled in competition
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/64351834

Would assume it won't be long till this arrives in the Club Game.
Does it count the number of players each team has on the pitch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2003/ ... ugbyunion9

It was 20 years ago. Seriously move on.

😜😜😉😉🤣🤣😂😂
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Mirror:
Liam Coombes says Munster have the ability to deal with Benetton's aerial bombardment at Thomond Park tonight (7.35pm).

The 25-year-old winger is expecting another tough encounter after Munster won a high-scoring encounter 40-30 in Treviso at the end of January.

"They've won six out of their last seven and their form in Europe has been good, so we know how much of a challenge it is," said Coombes.
Eh, Hello, you're playing Ospreys! ya dumb fcuk!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

blockhead wrote: February 17th, 2023, 9:01 am Mirror:
Liam Coombes says Munster have the ability to deal with Benetton's aerial bombardment at Thomond Park tonight (7.35pm).

The 25-year-old winger is expecting another tough encounter after Munster won a high-scoring encounter 40-30 in Treviso at the end of January.

"They've won six out of their last seven and their form in Europe has been good, so we know how much of a challenge it is," said Coombes.
In fairness Coombes doesn't mention Treviso in that quote so he likely was talking about Ospreys, but the journalist is the dumb fcuk
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Laighin Break wrote: February 17th, 2023, 10:48 am
blockhead wrote: February 17th, 2023, 9:01 am Mirror:

In fairness Coombes doesn't mention Treviso in that quote so he likely was talking about Ospreys, but the journalist is the dumb fcuk
That's whom I'm reffering to.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Very good piece with James Tracy on Ireland's hooker stocks.

Lots of interesting tidbits in there, he could be a great analyst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ad8Z6_ ... OffTheBall

Picks Kelleher ahead of Sheehan due to the former's scrummaging skills, which, given how frequently he would've came up against both, is very interesting.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

"Getting people off their feet at the ruck"

Interesting
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

wixfjord wrote: February 17th, 2023, 12:54 pm Very good piece with James Tracy on Ireland's hooker stocks.

Lots of interesting tidbits in there, he could be a great analyst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ad8Z6_ ... OffTheBall

Picks Kelleher ahead of Sheehan due to the former's scrummaging skills, which, given how frequently he would've came up against both, is very interesting.
Kelleher is definitely ahead of Sheehan as a scrummager. I also feel that Kelleher is a better carrier in tight channels and a slightly more powerful rucker. Sheehan is a better ball carrier in a less tight role and better at thowing the ball into the lineout.

I'd give it to Sheehan but I could see Kelleher picked on a case to case basis if we are going into a game targeting a scrum or if key in tight ball carriers are injured.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

James Tracy very good on OTB again this week. Great insights and good communicator.

I imagine he'll be picked up by TV if he wants to be. Only thing playing against him is he's not as big a 'name' as Heaslip/Zebo/RK/ROG, but that hasn't hampered the likes of Cave & even Jackman.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote: February 24th, 2023, 11:21 am James Tracy very good on OTB again this week. Great insights and good communicator.

I imagine he'll be picked up by TV if he wants to be. Only thing playing against him is he's not as big a 'name' as Heaslip/Zebo/RK/ROG, but that hasn't hampered the likes of Cave & even Jackman.
God knows, he needs the money.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by blockhead

? What does this mean?
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

From the 42

The emergence of such an excellent crop of youngsters in Italian rugby has been key to their improvement and it’s an indicator of the good work that has been done in the underage system, much of it led by Irishman Stephen Aboud, who is no longer working with the Italian federation.

There are big changes afoot in that system but the Italians are aggrieved by some of the Irish coverage of the rejig. Indeed, so keen are they to put the record straight that FIR president Marzio Innocenti will meet Irish journalists tomorrow before the game to explain what’s happening in their elite development pathway.

Importantly, that chat will come after the media lunch at the Stadio Olimpico, which is usually in a class of its own.
Interesting. Would like to know more how the Italians are doing it. Maybe our guys can pick up some tips.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

sunshiner1 wrote: February 25th, 2023, 7:30 am
by blockhead

? What does this mean?
It means he doesn’t need the money
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

sunshiner1 wrote: February 25th, 2023, 7:30 am
by blockhead

? What does this mean?
To use an old country expression.
He married the hen that lays.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Official Six Nations instagram have Harry Byrne up for the main photo for the Ireland Italy match :lol: :lol: :happy clapper:
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Oldschool

Ah got it.
by Oldschoolsocks

Try to be more clear next time.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

sunshiner1 wrote: February 25th, 2023, 11:32 am
by Oldschool

Ah got it.
by Oldschoolsocks

Try to be more clear next time.
Sorry, I’ll do better next time…
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

James Ryan on Off the Ball being asked about his form and history of head injuries and concussion etc…

Pretty distasteful if you ask me, surely a man’s medical history is his own affair.

Maybe they told him they’d be asking about it, but the response didn’t seem prepared so it didn’t feel like it.

Link: https://youtu.be/N_dXiwYHUBQ
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:34 pm James Ryan on Off the Ball being asked about his form and history of head injuries and concussion etc…

Pretty distasteful if you ask me, surely a man’s medical history is his own affair.

Maybe they told him they’d be asking about it, but the response didn’t seem prepared so it didn’t feel like it.

Distasteful?

If a guy was out with an ACL he'd be asked about it. Why would concussion be off limits? The questions were open and respectful.

It's a major issue for rugby, has been a big challenge for Ryan to get over and and if he didn't want to answer it he would've said so.

He spoke very well and clearly about the impact it had and went into very interesting detail about neck strength, gumshield tech and how it affected his game.

Brilliant interview by Molloy as usual with some fascinating insights into JR.

The stuff about his love of history and speech to the team was really good.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:44 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:34 pm James Ryan on Off the Ball being asked about his form and history of head injuries and concussion etc…

Distasteful?

If a guy was out with an ACL he'd be asked about it. Why would concussion be off limits? The questions were open and respectful.

It's a major issue for rugby, has been a big challenge for Ryan to get over and and if he didn't want to answer it he would've said so.

He spoke very well and clearly about the impact it had and went into very interesting detail about neck strength, gumshield tech and how it affected his game.

Brilliant interview by Molloy as usual with some fascinating insights into JR.

The stuff about his love of history and speech to the team was really good.
yes, I think anyone being asked about their person medical history is out of bounds. that includes ACL tears, broken shoulders or burst bollixes