A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 27th, 2023, 10:29 pm
wixfjord wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:44 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:34 pm James Ryan on Off the Ball being asked about his form and history of head injuries and concussion etc…

Pretty distasteful if you ask me, surely a man’s medical history is his own affair.

Maybe they told him they’d be asking about it, but the response didn’t seem prepared so it didn’t feel like it.

Link: https://youtu.be/N_dXiwYHUBQ
Distasteful?

If a guy was out with an ACL he'd be asked about it. Why would concussion be off limits? The questions were open and respectful.

It's a major issue for rugby, has been a big challenge for Ryan to get over and and if he didn't want to answer it he would've said so.

He spoke very well and clearly about the impact it had and went into very interesting detail about neck strength, gumshield tech and how it affected his game.

Brilliant interview by Molloy as usual with some fascinating insights into JR.

The stuff about his love of history and speech to the team was really good.
yes, I think anyone being asked about their person medical history is out of bounds. that includes ACL tears, broken shoulders or burst bollixes
Jaysus you must hate the weekly injury updates that Leinster give, or the even more regular media interviews with an injured player who is always asked 'how's the injury?'.

If someone doesn't want to talk about their injury history then fine, they can say no.

It's absolutely not 'out of bounds' for media to ask about an injury sustained in a pro sporting environment though.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote: February 28th, 2023, 8:54 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 27th, 2023, 10:29 pm
wixfjord wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:44 pm

Distasteful?

If a guy was out with an ACL he'd be asked about it. Why would concussion be off limits? The questions were open and respectful.

It's a major issue for rugby, has been a big challenge for Ryan to get over and and if he didn't want to answer it he would've said so.

He spoke very well and clearly about the impact it had and went into very interesting detail about neck strength, gumshield tech and how it affected his game.

Brilliant interview by Molloy as usual with some fascinating insights into JR.

The stuff about his love of history and speech to the team was really good.
yes, I think anyone being asked about their person medical history is out of bounds. that includes ACL tears, broken shoulders or burst bollixes
Jaysus you must hate the weekly injury updates that Leinster give, or the even more regular media interviews with an injured player who is always asked 'how's the injury?'.

If someone doesn't want to talk about their injury history then fine, they can say no.

It's absolutely not 'out of bounds' for media to ask about an injury sustained in a pro sporting environment though.
I’m not convinced that my response required an answer, I’m 100% convinced that this further response from me adds nothing to the conversation.

Funny how that works…
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic ... 86563.html

Fully unhinged article from Martin Breheny. Enjoy!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

hugonaut wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:01 am https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic ... 86563.html

“… Ireland v England on Saturday should be in Croke Park rather than Lansdowne Road. Sorry, ‘The Aviva’, as it’s called these days.”

That’s as far as I got, so I actually don’t know if he talks about dancing at the crossroads or a nation of strong men and fair maidens but dollars to donuts thats the direction it’s heading …
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:06 am
hugonaut wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:01 am https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic ... 86563.html

“… Ireland v England on Saturday should be in Croke Park rather than Lansdowne Road. Sorry, ‘The Aviva’, as it’s called these days.”

That’s as far as I got, so I actually don’t know if he talks about dancing at the crossroads or a nation of strong men and fair maidens but dollars to donuts thats the direction it’s heading …
Saved by the paywall
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:09 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:06 am

Saved by the paywall
👍🏻
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Can't happen for a long list of reasons but if it meant I'd get a ticket, I'd help carry the goalposts from Ballsbridge to Drumcondra

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Personally, I would rather see a game of such importance played in Dublin in front of 80,000 people rather than 50,000.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

riocard911 wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:31 am Personally, I would rather see a game of such importance played in Dublin in front of 80,000 people rather than 50,000.
I'd rather the IRFU keep as much money in house as possible. If we want higher attendances at Internationals, let's ignore the NIMBYs around the Aviva and upgrade the open end of the stadium to be as it should have been in the first place.
Anyone But New Zealand
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

riocard911 wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:31 am Personally, I would rather see a game of such importance played in Dublin in front of 80,000 people rather than 50,000.
But would you be willing to pay double the ticket price to make up the Million Euro it costs to rent Croke Park and the loss of corporate facilities and concessions?
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

IanD wrote: March 15th, 2023, 12:08 pm
But would you be willing to pay double the ticket price to make up the Million Euro it costs to rent Croke Park and the loss of corporate facilities and concessions?
The last point is interesting. Like in order to fulfill it's obligations to corporate ticket holders the GAA went thru that convulted super 8s nonsense a few years ago.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

IanD wrote: March 15th, 2023, 12:08 pm
I gotta be honest, I would! I'm not sure if there'd be many takers but I certainly would be one of them.

For something like this price is never the issue (it's why touts are looking for €1,300+), the issue is availability.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Gatty's article in the Torygraph My 23-man Lions squad – and why no Wales players are in it... right now (courtesy of the archive.ph trick).

Very strange article for him to write but most interesting are his comments on James Ryan:
"We wanted to take him on the Lions tour in 21 but he was unavailable for personal reasons, and he has since grown and matured into a world-class lock with great leadership skills. He has an excellent all-round game."
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Laighin Break wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 2:56 pm Gatty's article in the Torygraph My 23-man Lions squad – and why no Wales players are in it... right now (courtesy of the archive.ph trick).

Very strange article for him to write but most interesting are his comments on James Ryan:
"We wanted to take him on the Lions tour in 21 but he was unavailable for personal reasons, and he has since grown and matured into a world-class lock with great leadership skills. He has an excellent all-round game."
No Coombes?!?! :evil: FFS
Gatty picks almost as many Leinster Goys as Faz.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

:green clap:
blockhead wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 5:34 pm
Laighin Break wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 2:56 pm Gatty's article in the Torygraph My 23-man Lions squad – and why no Wales players are in it... right now (courtesy of the archive.ph trick).

No Coombes?!?! :evil: FFS
Gatty picks almost as many Leinster Goys as Faz.
:green clap:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

So many thoughts on this I can barely string them together.

Is Gatland:
a] getting down on paper that the Welsh team he took over don't have any good players?
b] trying to motivate his Welsh players with the stick rather than the carrot, i.e. by criticism rather than encouragement, by saying that none of them are good enough to make a 23 man squad from Ireland, Scotland, Engand and Wales?
c] simply responding to a request to write an article about a hypothetical 2023 Lions team and responding with complete honesty and no side?

I get that he has been Lions coach for three tours and that he is seen by many as 'Mr Lions'. Him doing an article like this holds more weight than somebody like Townsend or Farrell, who have been assistant Lions coaches. But I couldn't f*cking even begin to imagine them saying yes to writing this article.

Gatland is the Welsh head coach at the moment, and his team just won one game in the championship. If he thinks it's a good idea to write an article about how good other players are compared to his just two or three days after the tournament ended, that's up to him. It seems like a f*cking bonkers idea to me.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

hugonaut wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 9:38 pm

So many thoughts on this I can barely string them together.

Is Gatland:
a] getting down on paper that the Welsh team he took over don't have any good players?
b] trying to motivate his Welsh players with the stick rather than the carrot, i.e. by criticism rather than encouragement, by saying that none of them are good enough to make a 23 man squad from Ireland, Scotland, Engand and Wales?
c] simply responding to a request to write an article about a hypothetical 2023 Lions team and responding with complete honesty and no side?

I get that he has been Lions coach for three tours and that he is seen by many as 'Mr Lions'. Him doing an article like this holds more weight than somebody like Townsend or Farrell, who have been assistant Lions coaches. But I couldn't f*cking even begin to imagine them saying yes to writing this article.

Gatland is the Welsh head coach at the moment, and his team just won one game in the championship. If he thinks it's a good idea to write an article about how good other players are compared to his just two or three days after the tournament ended, that's up to him. It seems like a f*cking bonkers idea to me.
Was coming here to post this. The guy is on massive cheddar from Wales to get results and he's getting paid by someone else to put his excuses out early. He didn't need to take the cash if he knew it wasn't going to work.

I know, as with Jones, people will say he's playing 5D chess. I just think it's because he's a dick and he can't not be a dick.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

To see Nubbock figure so prominently in GT's report on the Leinster v Stormers game suggest that Gerry's most recent shopping list must have included a spell-check for fashionable shoes or an outdoor coat.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone else listen to Wednesday night rugby on Newstalk? Bizarrely short on build up to a champions cup weekend even mentioning there being zero buzz about the inter pro element despite then being corrected that it is a sell out. They’re giving huge amounts of air/podcast time to women’s six nations but seems to cut into the usual time they have for rugby, seems a shame they can’t grow both.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

TerenureJim wrote:Anyone else listen to Wednesday night rugby on Newstalk? Bizarrely short on build up to a champions cup weekend even mentioning there being zero buzz about the inter pro element despite then being corrected that it is a sell out. They’re giving huge amounts of air/podcast time to women’s six nations but seems to cut into the usual time they have for rugby, seems a shame they can’t grow both.
Have given up listening to OTB, they occasionally have good guests but the OTB presenters know absolutely nothing about rugby

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk