A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 6th, 2022, 11:23 am
Dave Cahill wrote: May 6th, 2022, 10:46 am
Up Wexford wrote: May 5th, 2022, 10:26 pm Also, Blues Talk if you're sick of the hassle of podcasting and want someone to take over the franchise don't hesitate to send a DM!
To be honest, I spent almost all of last year in front of a webcam either on Zoom or Teams and the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was sit in front of a webcam! Also, a lot of the stuff we were doing in work was happening after work so I was working a lot of evenings too - and in front of that damned webcam! So the enthusiasm waned.

However, doings are transpiring - stay tuned!
First of all… Deadly
Secondly, very understandable. I find it pretty difficult to sign off work on time when WFH.
Finally, I’m just glad you all haven’t fallen out with each other.
Mise freisin! Already looking forward to "Return of Blues Talk TV", "Blues Talk TV Redux", "Blues Talk TV - The Dead Arose and Spoke to Many" or whatever form the Second Coming takes!!!! :green clap:
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Serb wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:28 pm What app do you use to listen to podcasts?

If you’re on an iPhone, I’d highly recommend Overcast. It’s overall a great app, but it has a feature that cuts out dead air, so the gaps you’re experiencing will just be removed.

Pocket Casts on Android has the same feature if you’re an Android user.
I use Podcast Addict, on Android. Find it pretty good.
Dont Panic!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 6th, 2022, 10:46 am
Up Wexford wrote: May 5th, 2022, 10:26 pm Also, Blues Talk if you're sick of the hassle of podcasting and want someone to take over the franchise don't hesitate to send a DM!
To be honest, I spent almost all of last year in front of a webcam either on Zoom or Teams and the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was sit in front of a webcam! Also, a lot of the stuff we were doing in work was happening after work so I was working a lot of evenings too - and in front of that damned webcam! So the enthusiasm waned.

However, doings are transpiring - stay tuned!
That'd be class! Used to love my Friday lunchtime listens/viewings, or on the train home if I didn't finish it all.
Dont Panic!
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

CiaranIrl wrote:

If you’re on an iPhone, I’d highly recommend Overcast. It’s overall a great app, but it has a feature that cuts out dead air, so the gaps you’re experiencing will just be removed.

Is there any way of listening to the paid subscription podcasts like 42 if you use a podcast app, or do you have to play them on their website?
Yep! I listen to the 42 members pod using Overcast. When you hit the Add Podcast button, there’s a button to add a URL. Just paste the members pod in there and it works. I’m sure Pocket Casts has the same feature if you’re on Android.

jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

No Molecast today? :(
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

Yeah, I'm on Android.Was using A-Cast and Podcast Go, Acast is closing so I've been trying a few different ones. Podcast Guru and Podbean on test now but I'll try your recommendation too.
Thanks.
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

jimbobjoe wrote: May 6th, 2022, 3:04 pm No Molecast today? :(
Slackers! :evil:

:wink:
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

joooooe wrote: May 6th, 2022, 9:30 am
Up Wexford wrote: May 5th, 2022, 10:26 pm The problem with the 42 and Second captains being behind the paywall is essentially it is a subscription for pub chat. We pay for live sports, or exceptional analysis on a one off basis - i'll buy the IT the weekend of the Heineken cup or Championship hurling/football weekend for example. But be under no illusion, (betraying my vintage here) but second captains going behind a paywall, while at the time seen as a folly, has proved extremely lucrative for the presenters and I assume its the same for the 42 - fiver a month over three, five, twenty years is business 101, who really unsubscribes from things - maybe 5% pa?
Nothing you get is "free". If you don't have to pay for a podcast directly you get interrupted with annoying ads.

However, the main point is that it is important to support good, independent media or all we will end up with is the Daily Mail forcing opinions on us. If people refuse to pay for independent media we will end up with an echo-chamber led mediascape like in America. The Irish Times has very nearly gone to the wall on a few occasions in the past 20 years but has remodeled itself to become a largely-online offering.

Personally, I have subscriptions to the42, The Irish Times and Second Captains and all are cheap at twice the price.

Finally, to the person who said above that the re are ways around paying for a subscription service, you deserve the Murdoch media cesspit that we would end up in if we all did that. Jesus, it's €4 a month, would it kill you to support the likes of Murray Kinsella to keep doing what they do?
If you are talking about me, I wasn't asking that at all. I just don't want to pay a subscription where I have to go to a mobile site to listen to it. I'll be happy to subscribe if I can listen to the podcasts via a standard podcast app.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Up Wexford wrote: May 5th, 2022, 10:26 pm The problem with the 42 and Second captains being behind the paywall is essentially it is a subscription for pub chat. We pay for live sports, or exceptional analysis on a one off basis - i'll buy the IT the weekend of the Heineken cup or Championship hurling/football weekend for example. But be under no illusion, (betraying my vintage here) but second captains going behind a paywall, while at the time seen as a folly, has proved extremely lucrative for the presenters and I assume its the same for the 42 - fiver a month over three, five, twenty years is business 101, who really unsubscribes from things - maybe 5% pa?
Nothing you get is "free". If you don't have to pay for a podcast directly you get interrupted with annoying ads.

However, the main point is that it is important to support good, independent media or all we will end up with is the Daily Mail forcing opinions on us. If people refuse to pay for independent media we will end up with an echo-chamber led mediascape like in America. The Irish Times has very nearly gone to the wall on a few occasions in the past 20 years but has remodeled itself to become a largely-online offering.

Personally, I have subscriptions to the42, The Irish Times and Second Captains and all are cheap at twice the price.

Finally, to the person who said above that the re are ways around paying for a subscription service, you deserve the Murdoch media cesspit that we would end up in if we all did that. Jesus, it's €4 a month, would it kill you to support the likes of Murray Kinsella to keep doing what they do?
If you are talking about me, I wasn't asking that at all. I just don't want to pay a subscription where I have to go to a mobile site to listen to it. I'll be happy to subscribe if I can listen to the podcasts via a standard podcast app.
To answer your question... Yes. I subscribe to second captains and I get the podcasts on my usual app just like any subscription. As mentioned above... You get a link that you can use to subscribe/ follow in your app.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

We’ve found Joe Molloys handle! Welcome to the thunderdome Joe!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

hugonaut wrote:
riocard911 wrote: May 5th, 2022, 8:13 pm The Molecast is growing on me; sometimes I think the lads can be a bit too ponderous with noticeable gaps between the replies...
We have to think. And drink. And chew our crisps off mic!
I very much appreciate the lack of chewing sounds! Those are literally the worst thing in the world. Literally.

Anyone listen to Provincial State of Mind? It’s ok, covers each province in turn. The episodes tend to be very flabby though, like starting with 10 mins chat about what they each did at the weekend. But once they get into the analysis they’re good

For Leinster coverage I agree the Molecast is the best one out there. But Harpin’ on Rugby deserves a mention too. It’s a one man band but he gets loads of guests on and produces a lot of content.
m0nks
Beginner

Post by m0nks »

berliner wrote:
m0nks wrote: May 5th, 2022, 11:32 pm In my search for a new podcast I've recently been listening to the following..

PSOM - Like the even spread given to the provinces, but I've found 'The Bants' too much and have dropped it

Master of Known - More Connacht centric, but decent coverage of other provinces (I'm based out West too, so my 2nd team!)
Master of None ;)

https://anchor.fm/stephen-murphy8
Whoops! Was half asleep typing. My bad!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Fiona Hayes on two more times this week, presume its gender balance they are looking for but ffs
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 11th, 2022, 5:15 pm Fiona Hayes on two more times this week, presume its gender balance they are looking for but ffs
Going to go out on a limb here but bar that she gets excited as she gives her opinion, I find that she is less bias than most Munster pundits when giving her opinion about Leinster
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Theleinsterlad wrote: May 11th, 2022, 5:25 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: May 11th, 2022, 5:15 pm Fiona Hayes on two more times this week, presume its gender balance they are looking for but ffs
Going to go out on a limb here but bar that she gets excited as she gives her opinion, I find that she is less bias than most Munster pundits when giving her opinion about Leinster
I don't want bias or less bias from Munster pundits.
Why because, even though Munster are out of the HCC they'll still waffle on about Munster
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Listening to the English based podcasts over the last few days, a theme is emerging.
They're all pretty downcast with no semi involvement for 2 successive seasons for Premiership clubs.
They all seem to think this it will get worse with next years reduction to 1 marquee player.
They predict that Premiership teams might start to prioritise the Premiership and field weakened teams.
And this is the best bit....
The solution they have all kinda come around to is for everyone else to get in line with them, salary wise.
The French need to get in line with them, the Irish need to get in line with the South Africans because "thats not fair".

I can see some sabre rattling not too far down the road, a European wide salary cap maybe, call it "financial fair play", Nigels style.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

blockhead wrote: May 11th, 2022, 6:33 pm Listening to the English based podcasts over the last few days, a theme is emerging.
They're all pretty downcast with no semi involvement for 2 successive seasons for Premiership clubs.
They all seem to think this it will get worse with next years reduction to 1 marquee player.
They predict that Premiership teams might start to prioritise the Premiership and field weakened teams.
The solution they have all kinda come around to is for everyone else to get in line with them, salary wise.
The French need to get in line with them, the Irish need to get in line with the South Africans because "thats not fair".

I can see some sabre rattling not too far down the road, a European wide salary cap maybe, call it "financial fair play", Nigels style.
Anyone But New Zealand
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

blockhead wrote: May 11th, 2022, 6:33 pm Listening to the English based podcasts over the last few days, a theme is emerging.

The Top 14 is leaving the premiership in it's dust. The premiership is a closed shop that very few want to invest in. The Top 14 on the other hand is open with a fair promotion relegation system so you have those second division clubs getting invested in by wealthy people. The premiership has closed itself off to that. Think of all the money english rugby has been missing out on.

I think the league is in trouble. As I said it looks bad when their top sides are beaten easily in europe. The URC is arguably as good as the premiership is now and it's on the rise with the SA sides joining which is shaking things up. The WRU is under pressure to provide more money to the regions which should mean they will improve too.

The South Africans are a further threat to English teams.

I suspect it won't be long until a B&I league is mentioned. Welsh dreams might yet come true.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Part of the problem for all three leagues is the number of teams in each league, the number of games played in a regular season and the disparity in quality between the top and bottom teams.
The French play the most games and have the biggest squads.
The Premiership are next.
The URL teams have or will have smaller squads.
Obviously the size of a squad impacts on the cost of running said squad.
In summary the URL clubs have a model that is more likely to survive without sugar daddy's.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

dropkick wrote: May 11th, 2022, 7:33 pm

The Top 14 is leaving the premiership in it's dust. The premiership is a closed shop that very few want to invest in. The Top 14 on the other hand is open with a fair promotion relegation system so you have those second division clubs getting invested in by wealthy people. The premiership has closed itself off to that. Think of all the money english rugby has been missing out on.

I think the league is in trouble. As I said it looks bad when their top sides are beaten easily in europe. The URC is arguably as good as the premiership is now and it's on the rise with the SA sides joining which is shaking things up. The WRU is under pressure to provide more money to the regions which should mean they will improve too.

The South Africans are a further threat to English teams.

I suspect it won't be long until a B&I league is mentioned. Welsh dreams might yet come true.
One obvious risk is that the URL will prove that SA teams playing in a NH league works and that the Premiership and SA clubs will cut a deal somewhere in the future.
Or possibly other SA franchises will seek to join the Premiership.