A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by RoboProp »

DartVader wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:55 pm She can talk for Ireland in fairness to her! The speed she talks, she has to gulp air into her lungs in-between sentences!
She's passionate anyway.
Quinny is the master of, Talking for 10 minutes and either saying nothing at all, or agreeing with both sides! :lol: :lol:

Have to say though, I like Mattie Williams, I really really do mate! :D
Ah Mattie Williams is box office, if for his made up nick names alone. F**king Quinnie is the cure for insomnia, I'd be listening to it and thinking to myself "this b***cks has only fallen asleep here"
Jenno was on the Rugby Pod with Andy Goode and Big Jim Hamilton this week and it's worth a listen. I have slowly come around to this show, it's not a bad listen.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Mattie WIlliams is a bit much
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 5th, 2022, 4:01 pm Mattie WIlliams is a bit much
Mildee

(long pause)

Mate

He's pure marmite as Jezzer said
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

Actually, a big +1 on Jenno on the Rugby Pod .
I quite like that pod. Good mix of chat and, well, silliness really.
Last episode with Jenno was class.
As an aside, Jenno is a fantastic pundit. Think it was Virgin had him on with Joe Molloy a couple of times. Straight talker is our Jenno.

(yeah, Big Fan here) :lol: :lol:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Why has Eoin Reddan never joined the Kommentatura? He is a great analyst - interviewed him once or twice and he was brilliant at breaking things down
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 5th, 2022, 4:35 pm Why has Eoin Reddan never joined the Kommentatura? He is a great analyst - interviewed him once or twice and he was brilliant at breaking things down
He was on Second Captains a few times, very, very smart guy. Doesn't suffer fools lightly either I'd say.

He's involved in IRFU exec committee though so I'd assume that stops him doing more.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Good point
I have Bumbleflex
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

suisse wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:44 pm Is the42 rugby podcast worth paying for? I enjoyed their podcasts when they were free, despite Birch's inability to properly pronounce words in English, especially the 'th' blend. But once it went beyond a paywall I completely forgot it existed until this morning. I had an 'oh yeh' moment.

Rugby is my favorite sport. It is the only sport I really care about. But it is a sport that involves a lot of subscriptions for different competitions and services. What's special about the42? Generally I find the discussion around rugby to not be worth the expenditure. The sport being live is. But not the discussion. There are only 2 clubs that are ever discussed in Ireland and I don't think the42 will offer anything that OTB's free service will. I'm struggling to find the reason to pay for their analysis of URC games that is essentially free elsewhere.

Does anyone here subscribe and is it worth listening to?
I subscribed to the42 last year. This decision derived in part from wanting to support Murray Kinsella (although he's doing less technical analysis now than previously). Secondly, I am interested in Leinster and Connacht, and the later get little to no attention elsewhere outside of the dedicated Connacht pods. Lastly, I enjoy Birch, appreciate Gavin Casey's humility and Eoin Toolan is good as well - in my opinion there are no annoying participants.

A coupe of years ago I listened to OTB but it's for a very generalist sports-interested audience. They also neglect Ulster and Connacht, which I find poor.
Last edited by berliner on May 5th, 2022, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

RoboProp wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:34 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:17 pm
bluemagic wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:15 pm Fiona Hayes is to listen to on OTB, really struggled to make it through
yeah she isnt good.
She seems very nervous, plus the excessive use of "ye" enrages me. It's twee and archaic
Huh? I use it all the time.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 5th, 2022, 4:01 pm Mattie WIlliams is a bit muck
Fixed. He is truly awful and you can see that the other lads can not stand him when he's doing the Irish games.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I rate MK, Birch & Gavin Casey highly, but I only listen to the42 for free. Think we're all agreed that OTB is only worth listening to when Joe Molloy is the presenter. His show last night with Fiona Hayes and Gervais I thought was a very good preview of the quarter finals. Quinny - zzzz. Matt Williams - good in spots. Keith Wood - ho-hum. The Rugby Podcast with Jenno was brill, but I had to fast forward to his bit and switch it off immediately after; there's only so much "banter" I can take. The Molecast is growing on me; sometimes I think the lads can be a bit too ponderous with noticeable gaps between the replies... Still hoping and praying for Dave, Jason & John to get the band back together as Blues Talk TV was top of the pile, IMO.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

The42's Rugby Rugby Weekly & Extra is behind a paywall, but there may be certain ways to circumnavigate that...
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

the spoofer wrote: May 5th, 2022, 5:53 pm
RoboProp wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:34 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:17 pm

yeah she isnt good.
She seems very nervous, plus the excessive use of "ye" enrages me. It's twee and archaic
Huh? I use it all the time.
Ah now Spoofer, don't be tellin me that. I thought very highly of you :lol:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

riocard911 wrote: May 5th, 2022, 8:13 pm The Molecast is growing on me; sometimes I think the lads can be a bit too ponderous with noticeable gaps between the replies...
We have to think. And drink. And chew our crisps off mic!
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

hugonaut wrote: May 5th, 2022, 8:51 pm
riocard911 wrote: May 5th, 2022, 8:13 pm The Molecast is growing on me; sometimes I think the lads can be a bit too ponderous with noticeable gaps between the replies...
So, that wasn't electrical interference on the mic then? It was you lads eating crisps! :wink:
I have to say, I do enjoy the pod Hugo but the silences catch me out from time to time as I listen to the pod discretely and on the move
so sometimes I think I've lost coverage and start trying to reposition the phone :roll: then off yous go again! :lol:
Also,it all ends rather suddenly, stick an aul final whistle effect to signify the end will ye?
Keep up the good work though.
:green clap:
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

What app do you use to listen to podcasts?

If you’re on an iPhone, I’d highly recommend Overcast. It’s overall a great app, but it has a feature that cuts out dead air, so the gaps you’re experiencing will just be removed.

Pocket Casts on Android has the same feature if you’re an Android user.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Surprised to hear Andy Dunne is marmite, id put him in the upper tier of analysts.

The problem with the 42 and Second captains being behind the paywall is essentially it is a subscription for pub chat. We pay for live sports, or exceptional analysis on a one off basis - i'll buy the IT the weekend of the Heineken cup or Championship hurling/football weekend for example. But be under no illusion, (betraying my vintage here) but second captains going behind a paywall, while at the time seen as a folly, has proved extremely lucrative for the presenters and I assume its the same for the 42 - fiver a month over three, five, twenty years is business 101, who really unsubscribes from things - maybe 5% pa?

I find Eoin Toolan and Murray Kinsella together in one podcast tough going - on their own they're fine but together they really suck the joy out of rugby - I'm not studying my leaving cert revision notes here, sometimes I just want to hear James Lowe call people a bollix

The rugby pod is actually a good listen - I think its vital for us to step outside our ireland bubble. Hamilton is a git but he can be quite astute in his feel for the game and his views on various clubs/leagues filtered through his actual experience is invaluable. Andy Goode is a (british) national treasure, but if I hear the english top division called "the Prem" one more time... They have excellent guests and again crucially it is free to air.

Demented Mole/The Molecast and Blues Talk, genuinely is where its at though. Also, Blues Talk if you're sick of the hassle of podcasting and want someone to take over the franchise don't hesitate to send a DM!
Last edited by Up Wexford on May 5th, 2022, 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I like most of the English Podcasts, some of them do make an effort to cover the URC tbf. But why do all of them, as a rule, have 10mins of blokesy banter nonsense at the start of every poscast? Just get on with the rugby, I don't care how black you sh!t was after a night on the Guinness in Dublin.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

hugonaut wrote:
It's what 1.2x speed was made for Image

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
m0nks
Beginner

Post by m0nks »

I would have listened to a lot of OTB Rugby and the 42 (before the paywall). But I've found OTB very Munster centric recently and haven't jumped to pay for MK & Birch.

In terms of pundits; I do like Birch (he's also on RTEs rugby podcast), MK, Toland, Dunne, Thornley (whom I've gone full circle on!), BOD, O'Gara and Louise Galvin (she's one of the best actually!)

In terms of presenters; I like Neil Tracey (Former OTB now Rte), Joe, Ger Gilroy (I enjoy the way he gets his spoon out and stirs it up!)

Pundits I could happily live without; Matt W, Quinny, Ferris, Fitzgerald and I wouldn't be mad on Stringer (just find him a little boring).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk