A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Laighin Break
Mullet

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Laighin Break »

I hadn't listened to OTB in years, but gave yesterday's a listen due to the reviews JT has been getting from here. Thought he was excellent. I may resubscribe and just tune in when he's on
Last edited by Laighin Break on May 11th, 2023, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

Yeah, it's the only one I generally listen to as well. He's excellent.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

It's funny how so many "analysts" make it seem complicated to give interesting insight.

Then you get a JT coming along, who just speaks honestly, clearly, doesn't hum and haw, gives his opinion decisively, throws nobody under a bus but doesn't kiss asś either. Throws in lots of personal experience.

It's really not that hard if you're a relaxed, confident person. He's great at it.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Listened to it last night. JT is great! The show includes him explaining Philipe's "triangles" vis-à-vis running support lines for the ball carrier.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUXnHjAkf_Q

Watched this this morning and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

OTB have had Tracy on for last few weeks doing some really good stuff.
This morning, they clipped a part of Tracy's last piece which talked about La Rochelle 'pushing the boundaries'.
They put that clip directly to ROG as a 'oh what do you think of this' and allowed ROG to respond by questioning whether JT is still part of the Leinster setup and if this is a 'Leinster plant' and then talk about Leinster 'whinging to the referee'.
OTB then titled the video 'Ronan O'Gara responds to James Tracy's comment on La Rochelle 'pushing the boundaries'

What absolute b*%&!cks.
Firstly, they've sold JT out badly.
Secondly, they've allowed ROG do his usual bullshit of saying stuff that he knows is designed to put his viewpoint across. He's basically tried to say that Leo et al are telling JT what to say on air.
Thirdly, there's no challenge for ROG from the OTB team at all on whether they do push boundaries or not. They let him say what he wants.

Really really poor stuff and an example of media creating their own stories and trying to make up controversy.

Oh, and no mention of the fact that ROG recently said he heard Andrew Goodman was leaving Leinster. Why didn't they put that to him?

Weak, weak stuff from Adrian Barry & Shane Hannon.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: May 12th, 2023, 10:25 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUXnHjAkf_Q

This morning, they clipped a part of Tracy's last piece which talked about La Rochelle 'pushing the boundaries'.
They put that clip directly to ROG as a 'oh what do you think of this' and allowed ROG to respond by questioning whether JT is still part of the Leinster setup and if this is a 'Leinster plant' and talk about 'whinging to the referee'.
OTB then titled the video 'Ronan O'Gara responds to James Tracy's comment on La Rochelle 'pushing the boundaries'

What absolute b*%&!cks.
Secondly, they've allowed ROG do his usual bullshit of saying stuff that he knows is designed to put his viewpoint across. He's basically tried to say that Leo et al are telling JT what to say on air.
Thirdly, there's no challenge for ROG from the OTB team at all on whether they do push boundaries or not. They let him say what he wants.

Really really poor stuff and an example of media creating their own stories and trying to make up controversy.

Oh, and no mention of the fact that ROG recently said he heard Andrew Goodman was leaving Leinster. Why didn't they put that to him?

Shane Hannon is a total waste of space; that goes without saying. The clip is a fascinating opportunity to watch RO'G's initial reaction to Jame's accusations being sprung on him. You can see him losing the head initially and struggling to not go mad on air, as JT has the total number on LAR's carry-on at the breakdown. Well done, James Tracy and well done to OTB for ambushing RO'G.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Shane Hannon is one of the most clueless, off-key, flow-killing excuses for an interviewer I've ever heard.

That out of the way, ROG doesn't like it up 'im. Was given 4 or 5 chances by Adrian to address the dark arts question and he drew more attention to it by his nervous and cranky responses than if he'd just addressed it and killed the point.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

ROG showing his petulance there by pretending he was unsure if Tracy was still with Leinster or not, this is a guy who loves showing his knowledge on the AIL and it’s players but he doesn’t know who is in the squad of the team La Rochelle are playing in a Final next week, yeah right. Then he has another pop by saying Tracy just wouldn’t be used to playing with or against high powered players. Bit pathetic.

Quite pleasing to see him lose the head as Leo would say.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

While I find it hugely entertaining that ROG does this much media, I find it utterly bizarre that he continues to do it right up to the cusp of big games etc.

It is a bit invidious the way he uses it to push his own agenda, but it is what it is I guess.

Feel like OTB kind of threw James Tracy under the bus in that segment too.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

FtD wrote: May 12th, 2023, 11:20 am Feel like OTB kind of threw James Tracy under the bus in that segment too.
100%
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

I didn't see it and wont see it as I don't watch OTB stuff, except for the Tracy pieces, and don't watch ROG interviews - so the 2 of them together would be "puke analysis".
But.. Tracy should refuse to go on it again if they threw him under the bus.
Dont Panic!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

jezzer wrote: May 12th, 2023, 10:54 am Shane Hannon is one of the most clueless, off-key, flow-killing excuses for an interviewer I've ever heard.

That out of the way, ROG doesn't like it up 'im. Was given 4 or 5 chances by Adrian to address the dark arts question and he drew more attention to it by his nervous and cranky responses than if he'd just addressed it and killed the point.
The last clip I saw of Quinnie on OTB, Hannon was gazing deeply at the back of neck much the same way a caricature of a lady might gaze silently at her target and wonder what to name their firstborn. And that was his full contribution that day…
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Dexter wrote: May 12th, 2023, 12:16 pm But.. Tracy should refuse to go on it again if they threw him under the bus.
He's just starting out and I haven't seen him on anywhere else - can he really refuse to go on? Might be better to go back on and call them out on it.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

FtD wrote: May 12th, 2023, 11:20 am While I find it hugely entertaining that ROG does this much media, I find it utterly bizarre that he continues to do it right up to the cusp of big games etc.

It is a bit invidious the way he uses it to push his own agenda, but it is what it is I guess.

Feel like OTB kind of threw James Tracy under the bus in that segment too.
Can't say I see it that way. If you go on and give your opinion/analysis it's now in the public domain and up for anyone to comment on. It's not like JT said it accidentally or it was taken out of context.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

OTB want ROG onside. Tracey is good but they don't care so much.

Walking away from OTB would end his career as a pundit.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote: May 12th, 2023, 10:25 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUXnHjAkf_Q

They put that clip directly to ROG as a 'oh what do you think of this' and allowed ROG to respond by questioning whether JT is still part of the Leinster setup and if this is a 'Leinster plant' and then talk about Leinster 'whinging to the referee'.

What absolute b*%&!cks.

That had all the hallmarks of ROG seeing the clip and ringing the producers to complain, this was his response.

I do find it odd that a national Irish broadcaster sees fit to act as enabler for the coach of a foreign team in a final vs Leinster who are trying to close out an almost perfect season.

Weird that…
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: May 12th, 2023, 12:39 pm OTB want ROG onside. Tracey is good but they don't care so much.

Right thing to do for JT is to own it.

“Jaysis lads, you really threw me under the ROG bus there”
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 12th, 2023, 12:44 pm
ronk wrote: May 12th, 2023, 12:39 pm OTB want ROG onside. Tracey is good but they don't care so much.

Right thing to do for JT is to own it.

“Jaysis lads, you really threw me under the ROG bus there”
True. That's probably what he will do.
Dont Panic!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

He needs to keep that roof over his head somehow!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

RoboProp wrote: May 12th, 2023, 12:56 pm

He needs to keep that roof over his head somehow!
Haha.
Yeah I doubt he'll be as petulant as me!
Dont Panic!