A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: December 10th, 2021, 4:13 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 10th, 2021, 4:08 pm Is that a normal thing where de paper just prints articles from the grauniad?
Sin de cait yon
I’m not gonna lie, that confused the bejaysis outta me for a few minutes.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Xanthippe wrote: December 10th, 2021, 3:29 pm
paddyor wrote: December 9th, 2021, 10:05 pm https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/ru ... 62575.html
Leinster could “game the system” by convincingly beating a really poor bath side twice. Not sure that’s gaming the system Robert. I wonder was that him or some chippy editor from cork.
Well its the exact same article as is in The Guardian so I'd say it's Kitson himself and not an editor from De Examiner
Headline is rarely the journalist (and yes, I did check the Grauniad yesterday too) I just mention it because journalists often get grief her for something they didn't write.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Worth listening to BOD on OTB today talking about Harry.

https://www.otbsports.com/podcasts/otb- ... an-preview

Says the exact same as many on here, myself included, have said about him - needs to pick his moments, have more patience and focus on his team mates rather than himself if he wants to move to the next level.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote: December 10th, 2021, 6:50 pm Worth listening to BOD on OTB today talking about Harry.

https://www.otbsports.com/podcasts/otb- ... an-preview

Says the exact same as many on here, myself included, have said about him - needs to pick his moments, have more patience and focus on his team mates rather than himself if he wants to move to the next level.
Really? IIRC, you were arguing the exact opposite.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

fourthirtythree wrote: December 9th, 2021, 10:19 pm
paddyor wrote: December 9th, 2021, 10:05 pm https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/ru ... 62575.html
Leinster could “game the system” by convincingly beating a really poor bath side twice. Not sure that’s gaming the system Robert. I wonder was that him or some chippy editor from cork.
Scoring a shedload of points is "gaming"? I think the gentleman needs to be reintroduced to the concepts "winning", "game" , and "sport".
John Nash would be proud.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Stephen Jones having a fit about Glasgow banning the Exeter headdress.

https://twitter.com/rugby_ap/status/147 ... 91938?s=21

Thank you Stephen.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

paddyor wrote: December 19th, 2021, 5:34 pm Stephen Jones having a fit about Glasgow banning the Exeter headdress.

https://twitter.com/rugby_ap/status/147 ... 91938?s=21

Thank you Stephen.
Once a plonker, always a plonker. If I were advising Exeter in terms of PR and branding I'd have the Chief transformed into a Dumnonii chieftain, with a big beard, big shield and big sword. This Red-Indian stuff is downright cringeworthy in this day and age and the hanging on to it embarrassing.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

riocard911 wrote: December 19th, 2021, 6:07 pm

Once a plonker, always a plonker. If I were advising Exeter in terms of PR and branding I'd have the Chief transformed into a Dumnonii chieftain, with a big beard, big shield and big sword. This Red-Indian stuff is downright cringeworthy in this day and age and the hanging on to it embarrassing.
Thats actually what they're doing - they have engaged historians from local universities to reseach local celtic and other historical peoples to create a new brand identity
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 19th, 2021, 6:13 pm
Thats actually what they're doing - they have engaged historians from local universities to reseach local celtic and other historical peoples to create a new brand identity
I'm glad they have made that decision. It's a good club and I felt that they were making themselves look quite foolish.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

riocard911 wrote: December 19th, 2021, 6:07 pm

See, I'm a fupping genius. Thanks for confirming it, Dave!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

hugonaut wrote: December 19th, 2021, 6:20 pm
I'm glad they have made that decision. It's a good club and I felt that they were making themselves look quite foolish.
+1. I think it's more an insentive a marketing faux pas as opposed to something intrinsically malicious.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

It was casual, structural racism rather than malice. Baxter didn't look great defending it after their review said that they'd listened but chiefs was a local term for the first team. Fine if it is, but having the branding undermines that argument.

Glad it's going send people can instead go back to complaining about being beaten by them.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote: December 19th, 2021, 7:57 pm It was casual, structural racism rather than malice. Baxter didn't look great defending it after their review said that they'd listened but chiefs was a local term for the first team. Fine if it is, but having the branding undermines that argument.

Glad it's going send people can instead go back to complaining about being beaten by them.
I can't stand jones just as much as the next human. But this "cultural appropriation" thing is really odd.
Putting on an Native American headress is offensive to native americans? Really?
If I saw someone who is not Celtic whacking the sh!t out of a Bodhrán would I fell offended? No
If the person standing next to me started to complain that the person with the Bodhrán was not Celtic enough to play the Bodhrán I would be slowly inch myself away.
Can I grow dreadlocks? Can I listen to Rap/Soul/Blues? Enjoy Anime?
What the fcuk am I going to dress as at the next fancy dress party?
Is it wrong for me to order food from an Indian takeaway?
And don't give me the Whataboutary response. Thats just the getout clause when you cant explain your own hypocrisy.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote: December 19th, 2021, 11:42 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: December 19th, 2021, 7:57 pm It was casual, structural racism rather than malice. Baxter didn't look great defending it after their review said that they'd listened but chiefs was a local term for the first team. Fine if it is, but having the branding undermines that argument.

I can't stand jones just as much as the next human. But this "cultural appropriation" thing is really odd.
Putting on an Native American headress is offensive to native americans? Really?
If I saw someone who is not Celtic whacking the sh!t out of a Bodhrán would I fell offended? No
If the person standing next to me started to complain that the person with the Bodhrán was not Celtic enough to play the Bodhrán I would be slowly inch myself away.
And don't give me the Whataboutary response. Thats just the getout clause when you cant explain your own hypocrisy.
I’m a little confused about cultural appropriation too. As a lover of the music of Texas and the Mississippi Delta, is it wrong for me to learn blues guitar? As a lover of Asian cuisine is it wrong for me to cook with pastes, coconut milk and strong spices?

But I don’t think wearing a headdress and making mock whooping noises is the same thing, it’s not really a celebration of the culture is it? It’s more like caricature.

So for me what they (Exeter) do is more like blackface than signing gospel or soul.

Imagine for a second that their identity wasn’t the Exeter Chiefs, but the Exeter Irish Navvies and their celebration when scoring a try was to jump around with fake Irish accents and pretend to be drunk (which I believe is the Navvie Caricature). I don’t think this would align with a lad playing a bodhrán, and might even leave a bad taste in the mouth.

In saying that Blockie I’ve not thought a whole lot about it, and while I actually don’t think there’s malice in it I do believe that a move away from their current identity would be a good move for them.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I believe the cultural appropriation thing is predicated on buying into oppression theory. Everyone has to be put in a box and classed as an oppressor or oppressed based on their group identity. White people oppress non-white people, men oppress women, straight people oppress LGBT people. Then it is seen as 'problematic' for members of an oppressor group to "appropriate" the culture of oppressed groups because they haven't had to go through the struggle to maintain the culture over the years.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

As in Notre Dame University, the Fighting Irish.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

leinsterforever wrote: December 20th, 2021, 3:19 am I believe the cultural appropriation thing is predicated on buying into oppression theory. Everyone has to be put in a box and classed as an oppressor or oppressed based on their group identity. White people oppress non-white people, men oppress women, straight people oppress LGBT people. Then it is seen as 'problematic' for members of an oppressor group to "appropriate" the culture of oppressed groups because they haven't had to go through the struggle to maintain the culture over the years.
oh right, sound a bit weird. is that really how works?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 20th, 2021, 12:55 am

I’m a little confused about cultural appropriation too. As a lover of the music of Texas and the Mississippi Delta, is it wrong for me to learn blues guitar? As a lover of Asian cuisine is it wrong for me to cook with pastes, coconut milk and strong spices?

But I don’t think wearing a headdress and making mock whooping noises is the same thing, it’s not really a celebration of the culture is it? It’s more like caricature.

So for me what they (Exeter) do is more like blackface than signing gospel or soul.

Imagine for a second that their identity wasn’t the Exeter Chiefs, but the Exeter Irish Navvies and their celebration when scoring a try was to jump around with fake Irish accents and pretend to be drunk (which I believe is the Navvie Caricature). I don’t think this would align with a lad playing a bodhrán, and might even leave a bad taste in the mouth.

In saying that Blockie I’ve not thought a whole lot about it, and while I actually don’t think there’s malice in it I do believe that a move away from their current identity would be a good move for them.
+1
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 20th, 2021, 12:55 am

Thanks OSS for not taking my head off. I can see there are degrees of "CA". The Exeter thing would be worse than say a white guy who has dreadlocks.
Exeter fans wore those head dresses for years without a peep from anybody, now all a sudden its deeply disturbing and you can get banned from a stadium. What changed?
Saracens, they have to be in someones crosshairs.
Closer to home, St. Patricks Athletic, now there's a club name that screams social exclusion to all non-christians.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote: December 20th, 2021, 4:08 am As in Notre Dame University, the Fighting Irish.
I still have a few Fightin-Irish tshirts from my excursions to the US over the years. I was proud to wear them.