Post by Dave Cahill »

no relation
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by mildlyinterested »

SoupyNorman wrote: March 31st, 2021, 4:30 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 31st, 2021, 3:42 pm Hugh Cahill at the start of the rte rugby podcast

"there are several things i'd rather do than wear a leinster top around the place, gouge my eyes out so im not supporting leinster I can tell ye"
First time listening for a while. Not that great. In fairness. I think that was the other RTE correspondent Wes Liddy who made that quote. Thought it was an ex-player for most of it. Similarly to Newstalk, it was at least 90% about Munster in the aftermath of the Final.

A couple of moments did make me laugh, whether intentional or not. I trust Danny Barnes used to have Frankie Sheahan as an agent when they said he regularly won Man of the Matches whenever Frankie was commentating. Remember a game where David Wallace went off field as Munster were losing by seven and won by about 14 points in final 20 minutes; and Frankie gave his lead client Wallace (phenomenal player but not near MoTM that day) to his client.

Also; Donal Lenihan complaining that other Cork clubs besides UCC can field Under 20 teams to play Cork Con'. When you hoover up all the schools and club players in the area for yourself, it is easy to see why other clubs may struggle to field half-decent sides.
no it was Cahill.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 31st, 2021, 5:01 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 31st, 2021, 3:42 pm Hugh Cahill at the start of the rte rugby podcast

"there are several things i'd rather do than wear a leinster top around the place, gouge my eyes out so im not supporting leinster I can tell ye"
First time listening for a while. Not that great. In fairness. I think that was the other RTE correspondent Wes Liddy who made that quote. Thought it was an ex-player for most of it. Similarly to Newstalk, it was at least 90% about Munster in the aftermath of the Final.

A couple of moments did make me laugh, whether intentional or not. I trust Danny Barnes used to have Frankie Sheahan as an agent when they said he regularly won Man of the Matches whenever Frankie was commentating. Remember a game where David Wallace went off field as Munster were losing by seven and won by about 14 points in final 20 minutes; and Frankie gave his lead client Wallace (phenomenal player but not near MoTM that day) to his client.

Also; Donal Lenihan complaining that other Cork clubs besides UCC can field Under 20 teams to play Cork Con'. When you hoover up all the schools and club players in the area for yourself, it is easy to see why other clubs may struggle to field half-decent sides.
no it was Cahill.
Yes it was Cahill.... makes you think what Pro-14 coverage might be like if RTE are successful in getting it for next Season
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

alanair wrote: March 31st, 2021, 5:06 pm

no it was Cahill.
Yes it was Cahill.... makes you think what Pro-14 coverage might be like if RTE are successful in getting it for next Season
Rte will treat it badly no matter who is presenting
Last edited by mildlyinterested on March 31st, 2021, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Good analysis here from Neil Treacy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHYjSta ... OffTheBall

The scrum stuff in particular is interesting.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

no it was Cahill.
Apologies. You are absolutely bang on. Not that any one is probably going to get too sensitive but was a bit over the top the way he stated it, rather than a I am just purely neutral approach.
Also; the who discussion, phrasing everything so that anything about the final was focused around Munster would make you think the (D4 based as people will like to be often reminded) RTE media didn't think that Leinster came in their remit. It might as well have been Scarlets or Treviso.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

alanair wrote: March 31st, 2021, 4:45 pm

Im ashamed to say that he's a former CBC Monkstown Past pupil.... If he knew anything about Rugby , I'd be concerned - but the guy is an oxygen thief
Jesus, that's more embarrassing than the annual drubbing in the Senior Cup.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

cormac wrote: March 31st, 2021, 7:50 pm
alanair wrote: March 31st, 2021, 4:45 pm

Im ashamed to say that he's a former CBC Monkstown Past pupil.... If he knew anything about Rugby , I'd be concerned - but the guy is an oxygen thief
Jesus, that's more embarrassing than the annual drubbing in the Senior Cup.
Ahem....bite yer tongue - I’m old enough (just) to remember the heroic CBC team of 1976 :D
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

This seems like a good time for my yearly post about how Hugh couldn’t understand why the front row was being congratulated after pushover try by the Ireland under 20s. He thought he might have missed one of them dotting the ball down.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

It's not cool to be an openly Leinster man.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

seems like ROG didn't want to talk about Munster tonight on off the ball :lol:
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

I have had always had a high opinion of Hugh Cahill😂😂😂
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Franno:

If Van Graan is not going to use Thomas Ahern, I suspect Leinster would like to borrow him for a while.

I look at Ryan Baird who is 21, the same age as Ahern. The two tyros are on a different graph. Baird has played 20 times for Leinster and has three caps for the national side.

‘He will make a great addition’ – Munster confirm signing of Springbok second row Jason Jenkins
Ahern, who has significant promise and ability, is being held back in a purgatorial clinch. His time will come – he is told – and then Munster bring in another useless Saffer who has to be played because the Munster benefactor is stumping up serious cash.

Devin Toner and Scott Fardy will be leaving Leinster at the end of this season. They have been two fantastic investments – one from the academy and one from the brains trust who have made the same instinctive calls on Nathan Hines and Brad Thorn.

I suspect Munster would rather surgically cut Ahern’s hamstrings than let him go to Leinster. Worse still, let him go to Leinster and watch him prosper.

How stupid are we that we allow this really poor business continue? How long will Munster fans put up with all these Saffers coming to Munster for a big pay day for very little return on investment and all to the detriment of home-grown players.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Well I think that definitively proves that the signing of Jenkins was the right thing to do.
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:08 am Well I think that definitively proves that the signing of Jenkins was the right thing to do.
I suspect Munster would rather surgically cut Ahern’s hamstrings than let him go to Leinster
You used the exact same terminology few a years ago. Hmmmm

Also, last night on off the ball
They used my joke, which I posted on here a few day ago, at the top of the rugby podcast, it hurt ROG deeply.
(the one about Munster Rugby being investigated by Gardai for making an unessessary journey at the weekend)
Word for word.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

deco wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:01 am Franno:

If Van Graan is not going to use Thomas Ahern, I suspect Leinster would like to borrow him for a while.

I look at Ryan Baird who is 21, the same age as Ahern. The two tyros are on a different graph. Baird has played 20 times for Leinster and has three caps for the national side.

‘He will make a great addition’ – Munster confirm signing of Springbok second row Jason Jenkins
Ahern, who has significant promise and ability, is being held back in a purgatorial clinch. His time will come – he is told – and then Munster bring in another useless Saffer who has to be played because the Munster benefactor is stumping up serious cash.

Devin Toner and Scott Fardy will be leaving Leinster at the end of this season. They have been two fantastic investments – one from the academy and one from the brains trust who have made the same instinctive calls on Nathan Hines and Brad Thorn.

I suspect Munster would rather surgically cut Ahern’s hamstrings than let him go to Leinster. Worse still, let him go to Leinster and watch him prosper.

How stupid are we that we allow this really poor business continue? How long will Munster fans put up with all these Saffers coming to Munster for a big pay day for very little return on investment and all to the detriment of home-grown players.
Nucifora should get onto Leinster asap and tell, nay instruct, them to make a bid for Ahern similar to the one they made for Casey, which seems to have worked out very well for all the parties involved except of course Leinster.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschool wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:24 am

Nucifora should get onto Leinster asap and tell, nay instruct, them to make a bid for Ahern similar to the one they made for Casey, which seems to have worked out very well for all the parties involved except of course Leinster.
Ahern just signed a 2 year senior deal with Munster.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:08 am Well I think that definitively proves that the signing of Jenkins was the right thing to do.
As has been pointed out many times to me on this forum.
Even a broken clock gets it right from time to time.
This sounds like one of those times for Franno.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:25 am
Oldschool wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:24 am

Ahern just signed a 2 year senior deal with Munster.
Don't think that matters if it's between provinces and Nucifora wants it.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:20 am
I suspect Munster would rather surgically cut Ahern’s hamstrings than let him go to Leinster
You used the exact same terminology few a years ago. Hmmmm

Also, last night on off the ball
They used my joke, which I posted on here a few day ago, at the top of the rugby podcast, it hurt ROG deeply.
(the one about Munster Rugby being investigated by Gardai for making an unessessary journey at the weekend)
Word for word.
Interesting that RO'G never got asked bout the Pro14 final. Can't imagine he's happy with the situation in Limerick. Paulie was complaining about the lack of home grown talent being brought thru two years ago and very little to nothing has changed since then (other than the dramatic rise in his personal standing within the IRFU). I could see a MO'C solution happening in Thomond Park, should the "bloodbath" vs Toulouse, feared by Louise Galvin amongst others, come to pass this weekend. I know the financial situation doesn't lend itself to change of head coach, but as the Germans say: "Lieber ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende" ("Better a horrible ending than a horror without end".