A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by leinsterforever »

Dexter wrote: December 9th, 2020, 11:18 am Just properly policing the offside line would be a great start. It's gone beyond a joke now.
Of course it would nullify the effectiveness of some teams (e.g. England, Saracens) but it has to be done.
I'm not really seeing this offside epidemic everyone keeps talking about. I think a lot of people confuse linespeed for offside, to be honest. Take Itoje's intervention off Luke McGrath's delayed pass in the recent quarter final, for example. Instinctively you think he has to be offside, but watching it back it's just incredibly good timing.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinsterforever wrote: December 9th, 2020, 5:40 pm
Dexter wrote: December 9th, 2020, 11:18 am Just properly policing the offside line would be a great start. It's gone beyond a joke now.
Of course it would nullify the effectiveness of some teams (e.g. England, Saracens) but it has to be done.
I'm not really seeing this offside epidemic everyone keeps talking about. I think a lot of people confuse linespeed for offside, to be honest. Take Itoje's intervention off Luke McGrath's delayed pass in the recent quarter final, for example. Instinctively you think he has to be offside, but watching it back it's just incredibly good timing.
Everyone is offside all the time, especially against Leinster. Leinster are, of course, never offside.
I have Bumbleflex
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Everyone is offside all the time, especially against Leinster. Leinster are, of course, never offside.
Are you suggesting we lack depth perception? Us?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I saw it as incredibly bad timing from Luke. And desparate decision making and alertness. That state of being switched on and alert is a huge difference between a top international and someone who isn't. It's what Stockdale lacks more than anything else. Compare his play to Earls who makes the best of what he has. It's striking. I saw earls having to slap Cupe out of the way to tidy up last week as Cubes head was somewhere else.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

edit nvm
Last edited by mildlyinterested on December 10th, 2020, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 10th, 2020, 8:20 am jesus luke fitz podcast is basically unlistenable.
Because?

All of it, parts of it, just Luke, all of them?

I have just listened to it. Nothing is perfect, but had no issues. Luke’s Blue-tinted glasses the only slightly jarring moments. He was excellent on Argentinian racism for me.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

can't listen to his moaning about frawley playing 12 and ROC's constant negativity about the league and leinster.

but hey that's just me.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:08 am can't listen to his moaning about frawley playing 12 and ROC's constant negativity about the league and leinster.

but hey that's just me.
I gave up on that podcast a long time ago. The pair of them give me a pain - and not just for the above mentioned reasons. Luke is a terrible listener, who loves the sound of his own voice. Plus they think they're really funny - which they're not...
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:08 am can't listen to his moaning about frawley playing 12 and ROC's constant negativity about the league and leinster.

but hey that's just me.
I haven't listened to it in quite a while.

I'm not as down on Luke as a lot of people seem to be – I don't agree with him very often, but I think that he always acts in good faith, and if his opinions don't chime with general consensus, it's not that he is going out of his way to be a contrarian, it's just that he has a sort of baked-in confidence that he's right. When I listened to him, my favourite parts were when he was talking about backline play, and especially technical and positional play. The guy really knows his stuff and he's a good, brisk communicator.

Murray Kinsella and Birch's podcast is good, and Gavan Casey is an an obviously nice fella ... but Jesus Christ man, get the questions out! Ask a f*cking question without putting in six sub-clauses and three apologia and turning it into a f*cking moebius strip.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I like the42 rugby podcast too, but our very own trio infernale of John, Dave and Jason from Blues Talk TV top the bill for me!!!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

riocard911 wrote: December 10th, 2020, 12:54 pm I like the42 rugby podcast too, but our very own trio infernale of John, Dave and Jason from Blues Talk TV top the bill for me!!!
I'm very fond of the output from Mr. D Mole of this parish - though it is sparodic
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:24 am

but hey that's just me.
I haven't listened to it in quite a while.

I'm not as down on Luke as a lot of people seem to be – I don't agree with him very often, but I think that he always acts in good faith, and if his opinions don't chime with general consensus, it's not that he is going out of his way to be a contrarian, it's just that he has a sort of baked-in confidence that he's right. When I listened to him, my favourite parts were when he was talking about backline play, and especially technical and positional play. The guy really knows his stuff and he's a good, brisk communicator.

Murray Kinsella and Birch's podcast is good, and Gavan Casey is an an obviously nice fella ... but Jesus Christ man, get the questions out! Ask a f*cking question without putting in six sub-clauses and three apologia and turning it into a f*cking moebius strip.
Mobius Strip. A simple example of an infinite line.
Haven't heard that expression in years.
It's a fascinating object and simple to make.
Remember reading a sci fi story titled "Mobius Strip"
An interdimensional story about the perfect train network (line).
Well perfect if it's ok for passengers to disappear and reappear randomly.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

hugonaut wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:24 am Murray Kinsella and Birch's podcast is good, and Gavan Casey is an an obviously nice fella ... but Jesus Christ man, get the questions out! Ask a f*cking question without putting in six sub-clauses and three apologia and turning it into a f*cking moebius strip.
I haven't joined for their members podcasts, but Eoin Toolan was really good the couple of times they had him on the regular pod.
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

hugonaut wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:24 am Gavan Casey is an an obviously nice fella ... but Jesus Christ man, get the questions out! Ask a f*cking question without putting in six sub-clauses and three apologia and turning it into a f*cking moebius strip.
+1

Just thinking that listening to today's podcast. :lol:
Needs to do an interviewer course.
BOD is GOD!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 9th, 2020, 6:18 pm
Hmmmm... Ok then! (shrugs shoulders)
Dont Panic!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Funny how we've gone from sponsors telling the IRFU to ditch players to avoid tainting the brand to journalists ditching the sponsor's name...

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-toulouse-5295391-Dec2020/
Andrew Trimble reflects on the Ulster glory days and predicts another unforgettable night at Ravenhill tomorrow.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

fourthirtythree wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:20 pm Funny how we've gone from sponsors telling the IRFU to ditch players to avoid tainting the brand to journalists ditching the sponsor's name...

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-toulouse-5295391-Dec2020/
Andrew Trimble reflects on the Ulster glory days and predicts another unforgettable night at Ravenhill tomorrow.
Maybe young master Trimble has heard something on the grapevine. If Kingspan are held liable the IRFU can hardly stand by and do nothing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55136137

Grenfell Tower: Firm's ex-manager sorry for safety query reaction

An ex-manager of an insulation maker whose product was used on Grenfell Tower has apologised for dismissing fire safety concerns and threatening legal action in internal emails.

Philip Heath, who works for Kingspan, forwarded a customer's fire test query and wrote that they were "getting me confused with someone who gives a dam".

Mr Heath admitted his reaction was "unprofessional".

The inquiry heard last week the firm "stretched the truth" on fire safety.

On Monday, the inquiry heard that Mr Heath used strong language in an internal email response.

Ex-employee Ivor Meredith, who was the firm's technical director, told the inquiry last week that Kingspan fire-tested its cladding in 2005, but changed the formulation the next year.

The first phase of the Grenfell inquiry concluded that cladding put on the west London tower block during its refurbishment fuelled the fire in June 2017 in which 72 people died.

Kingspan K15 insulation was used in the flammable cladding system mounted on to Grenfell Tower, alongside Celotex RS5000.

In October 2008 emails, an employee of facade engineers Wintech asked Kingspan for clarity on what basis its Kooltherm K15 insulation was suitable for buildings taller than 18 metres.

A Kingspan employee said it was "getting tricky what to write" without "putting ourselves in a legal situation".

In an internal email, Mr Heath responded using strong language: "Wintech can go f'#ck themselves, and if they are not careful we'll sue the a'#se of them".

Inquiry lawyer Kate Grange QC challenged Mr Heath on his comment, saying: "Can you explain why you wrote that, given Wintech were giving entirely accurate advice to their customers?"

He replied: "It was totally unprofessional and on reflection I wouldn't have said that. I think it was frustration we were going around in circles with them."

He was asked if it reflected a "culture" within Kingspan "in terms of its response to these kinds of requests".

Mr Heath said: "I don't believe so. Like in any organisation, you have your good times and your difficult times.

"We were just going around in circles and a bit of frustration came out there on a Friday.

"I think we did take life safety seriously. We provided Wintech with the data we had for them to make the appropriate analysis."

Mr Heath, now divisional business development director at Kingspan, also apologised after reacting to a similar query by writing that the firm making the request was "getting me confused with someone who gives a dam".

He added in the forwarded email: "I'm trying to think of a way out of this one, imagine a fire running up this tower !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Mr Heath told the inquiry he had forwarded the email to a terminally ill friend, adding: "I can only apologise for the contents of this email at the time made in 2008.

"Keith was a dear friend of mine who was terminally ill at the time. I was just forwarding him an email to give a snapshot of some of the work I was working on.

"It had no reflection on how I felt, I was just trying to lighten his load and lighten my load."
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

The journalist left the sponsor's name out in the report. Trimble in the piece was talking about his playing days and correct. I would be surprised if it was a mistake in the Journal rather than a choice.

Do ethics clauses work both way in sponsorship deals? I don't know.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

riocard911 wrote: December 10th, 2020, 12:54 pm I like the42 rugby podcast too, but our very own trio infernale of John, Dave and Jason from Blues Talk TV top the bill for me!!!
Me too but I think it's time for them to cop to their line of funding from Cardiff Blues
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4442187

How does the IT Sports Editor allow their resident rugby clown licence to write such rubbish? Irish rugby has three genuine pillars upon which it stands, and Cummiskey plays the smarta#@e when he conflats them with three of the biggest challenges our game faces.

He hates the game or writes as if he does. He deserves no respect and little attention.