A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

naraic
Mullet

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by naraic »

I believe the RDS redevelopment plans were to replace the Anglesea with 4,000 additional seats and essentially a row of corporate boxes. That is more or less it.

There is certainly no point adding a redevelopment of the grandstand that only adds corporate facilities. The new Anglesea will probably be sufficient.

With the aviva down the road we don't really need a lot more.

It's worth noting that Coventry and Derby football clubs sell a box with 10-12 seats for 400-500 pound a game. Not ideal and a sign of what happens to the value of boxes when you have too many of them.

We certainly shouldn't see Leinster Rugby burdening itself with large debs to fund a redevelopment of the RDS. Leinster doesn't own the stadium and still has to pay rent.

The CEO and the board of Leinster Rugby should be considering the option of playing additional matches at the aviva vs any additional obligations it takes on in a RDS redevelopment.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

naraic wrote: September 16th, 2022, 4:28 pm I believe the RDS redevelopment plans were to replace the Anglesea with 4,000 additional seats and essentially a row of corporate boxes. That is more or less it.

There is certainly no point adding a redevelopment of the grandstand that only adds corporate facilities. The new Anglesea will probably be sufficient.

It's worth noting that Coventry and Derby football clubs sell a box with 10-12 seats for 400-500 pound a game. Not ideal and a sign of what happens to the value of boxes when you have too many of them.

We certainly shouldn't see Leinster Rugby burdening itself with large debs to fund a redevelopment of the RDS. Leinster doesn't own the stadium and still has to pay rent.

The CEO and the board of Leinster Rugby should be considering the option of playing additional matches at the aviva vs any additional obligations it takes on in a RDS redevelopment.
Both of the latter options are bedevilled by contractual constraints associated with use of RDS (by Leinster) and Aviva (by Ireland or against international opponents).
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 17th, 2022, 7:16 am
naraic wrote: September 16th, 2022, 4:28 pm I believe the RDS redevelopment plans were to replace the Anglesea with 4,000 additional seats and essentially a row of corporate boxes. That is more or less it.

Both of the latter options are bedevilled by contractual constraints associated with use of RDS (by Leinster) and Aviva (by Ireland or against international opponents).
How long is the RDS contract? I think there's only 3-4 years left. If the redevelopment isn't going ahead on terms Leinster is happy with they should be looking for a more flexible arrangement in contract negotiations.

I'm pretty sure that the aviva naming rights agreement won't block more Leinster games.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting interview with COB. Shows the human side of bad injuries well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJb18NP ... OffTheBall

One interesting story that raises bigger questions is that when in the sub academy for two years, he was getting the DART from Clontarf to Sandymount every day, walking the 2k into Donnybrook and then doing the same on the way back.

Not a glamorous lifestyle for a young guy, and shows what someone who isn't a schools player and isn't living at home within 10k of the RDS has to do compared to those who have a simpler path to the academy.

We're definitely losing players from non traditional pathways because of this.

Albeit hard to know how to overcome it.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

wixfjord wrote: September 20th, 2022, 3:47 pm Interesting interview with COB. Shows the human side of bad injuries well.

One interesting story that raises bigger questions is that when in the sub academy for two years, he was getting the DART from Clontarf to Sandymount every day, walking the 2k into Donnybrook and then doing the same on the way back.

Not a glamorous lifestyle for a young guy, and shows what someone who isn't a schools player and isn't living at home within 10k of the RDS has to do compared to those who have a simpler path to the academy.

While I agree about the issue of potentially losing talented players while the sub-academy is only based in Donnybrook, I'm not sure that Conor O'Brien's commute of six stops on the DART followed by a 15-minute walk was all that tough.

The answer is the planned opening of regional sub-academy centres to mimic what they currently have in Donnybrook. It's not perfect but it'll be an improvement.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

cormac wrote: September 20th, 2022, 4:08 pm
wixfjord wrote: September 20th, 2022, 3:47 pm Interesting interview with COB. Shows the human side of bad injuries well.

While I agree about the issue of potentially losing talented players while the sub-academy is only based in Donnybrook, I'm not sure that Conor O'Brien's commute of six stops on the DART followed by a 15-minute walk was all that tough.

The answer is the planned opening of regional sub-academy centres to mimic what they currently have in Donnybrook. It's not perfect but it'll be an improvement.
It's not bad if you're a commuting worker. If you're doing 3k extra of a walk daily as an academy player it's probably not great, along with a day in college after.

Certainly a different ask than being driven 5 minutes into Donnybrook by your parents and not having rent/meals to worry about while living at home.

My point is, we should be doing more to support regional players getting a fair crack of the whip.

Not saying the sub academy shouldn't be based in Donnybrook either btw, but maybe they could look at offering housing nearby, greater financial support for those not living at home or more scholarship options for eg.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote: September 20th, 2022, 4:13 pm

It's not bad if you're a commuting worker. If you're doing 3k extra of a walk daily as an academy player it's probably not great, along with a day in college after.

Certainly a different ask than being driven 5 minutes into Donnybrook by your parents and not having rent/meals to worry about while living at home.

My point is, we should be doing more to support regional players getting a fair crack of the whip.

Not saying the sub academy shouldn't be based in Donnybrook either btw, but maybe they could look at offering housing nearby, greater financial support for those not living at home or more scholarship options for eg.
I think that's why Leinster are developing the regional sub academies, which hopefully will help. I think if you have serious aspirations to be a top sports player you probably have to make choices - which he eventually did switching to UCD and living closer by. When I was in UCD, serious soccer players chose the college AND the course.....and in many cases had a more arduous commute home on a bike... ;-)
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

He was living in Clontarf cause they put him up in accommodation there.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Not disagreeing with your general point, but 3 or 4 km walk a day on top of college and training is grand for a fit young man or woman.

I’m pretty sure a lot of us on here walked, ran, bussed, cycled on top of college/job and possibly two or three sports and maybe a wee lass or lad to keep happy too when we were late teens to mid twenties.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I agree it's not the worst commute but it's a strange place for someone going to Trinity and in the Leinster system to live. I would have assumed that anyone like that had priority in Trinity Halls.

Donnybrook is a funny area for commuting anyway. It's incredibly well serviced if you pretty much live on a straight line from Trinity out towards Blackrock, but a nightmare from most other places that either don't have buses that go close to it, or have to go through the likes of Ranelagh. Even if you live close to it and have a car the traffic can be so sh!t that it wouldn't be much better.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

O'Brien was playing for Clontarf, so probably had free accommodation provided by the club.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 20th, 2022, 4:44 pm I agree it's not the worst commute but it's a strange place for someone going to Trinity and in the Leinster system to live. I would have assumed that anyone like that had priority in Trinity Halls.

Donnybrook is a funny area for commuting anyway. It's incredibly well serviced if you pretty much live on a straight line from Trinity out towards Blackrock, but a nightmare from most other places that either don't have buses that go close to it, or have to go through the likes of Ranelagh. Even if you live close to it and have a car the traffic can be so sh!t that it wouldn't be much better.
Is it? Tara Street station is around the corner from Trinity and from there you've central busses that run to/from Donnybrook. Maybe he discovered the train and walk was easier/faster. As you say Donnybrook is hard to get to unless travelling on a straighline between the centre and Blackrock. WHich is ironic given there's a massive Dublin Garage on the crossroads
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

mildlyinterested wrote:O'Brien was playing for Clontarf, so probably had free accommodation provided by the club.
Don't all AIL clubs have to sign a declaration confirming that they don't provide any incentives to players, including accommodation?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 20th, 2022, 4:44 pm I agree it's not the worst commute but it's a strange place for someone going to Trinity and in the Leinster system to live. I would have assumed that anyone like that had priority in Trinity Halls.

Everywhere not in the city centre is a funny place for communing on public transport if you're not on the same artery.

We talk about Northside-Southside but the real division is Dart, 46A, Luas.

I walked his route often enough with school bag and rugby gear. If he was able to go home to get his gear before training then he was lucky.

With the new fares he could have switched in town and gotten a bus past the door without paying extra.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Barry wrote: September 20th, 2022, 5:37 pm
mildlyinterested wrote:O'Brien was playing for Clontarf, so probably had free accommodation provided by the club.
Don't all AIL clubs have to sign a declaration confirming that they don't provide any incentives to players, including accommodation?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Only the Officers of the Club have to sign that club resources are not being used for that purpose. It's a total charade & D3 isn't the only location it occurs.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Stuart Lancaster set to leave Leinster to take up Racing 92 post from next season

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... xt-season/
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

The RTE rugby podcast has Ian Keatley and Bernard Jackman on. But it is nearly unlistenable. Sounds like they are all on a really scratched vinyl record with a lot repeated phrases and talk over. However they use the editing setting it is horrendous.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Thanks for the link, I found that interview very interesting, COB comes across like a wise and decent person. The series of injuries he describes is relentless, it must have been very difficult to cope with. Good to see he's doing so well, and hope he succeeds whatever path he chooses to pursue.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

SoupyNorman wrote: September 21st, 2022, 6:58 pm The RTE rugby podcast has Ian Keatley and Bernard Jackman on. But it is nearly unlistenable. Sounds like they are all on a really scratched vinyl record with a lot repeated phrases and talk over. However they use the editing setting it is horrendous.
The RTE rugby pod is a total mess. I guess they feel they don't need to make an effort. They're are RTE and people will listen regardless of the production quality. You get infinitely better amateur pods in various sports from a few people doing as a hobby. The intro is so weird. Clearly a hastily arranged interview with Keatley (Jackman must have been late) that ended with the theme tune returning and then Tracy welcoming us back.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »