Mullet

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by alanair »

Assuredly ... GT will be the 'Official' voice of Leinster rugby ... :shock:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Gatland gets revenge for the cheap "tub of lard" jibe a few years back. LOL!!! Good riddance. Read about it but didn't hear it, as I gave up listening the Luke's "me, me, me!" podcast ages ago.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: July 24th, 2021, 11:29 am Gatland gets revenge for the cheap "tub of lard" jibe a few years back. LOL!!! Good riddance. Read about it but didn't hear it, as I gave up listening the Luke's "me, me, me!" podcast ages ago.
How is this Gatland’s revenge?
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

As an Ulster supporter I already thought the Irish Times was the official PRO for all to do with D4.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 24th, 2021, 12:02 pm
riocard911 wrote: July 24th, 2021, 11:29 am Gatland gets revenge for the cheap "tub of lard" jibe a few years back. LOL!!! Good riddance. Read about it but didn't hear it, as I gave up listening the Luke's "me, me, me!" podcast ages ago.
Cos it was an official complaint by Lions management over his racist comment at Marcus Smith's expense, that got Franno fired my Indo-owners Mediahuis.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: July 24th, 2021, 3:21 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 24th, 2021, 12:02 pm
Cos it was an official complaint by Lions management over his racist comment at Marcus Smith's expense, that got Franno fired my Indo-owners Mediahuis.
oh, I thought ti was Harlequins who had complained.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote: July 24th, 2021, 3:21 pm
That was one of the reasons, others were complaints by players, Quins but in particular people cancelling subscriptions would probably have been the big driver.

It's a bit strange to frame it as a Gatland v Franno thing.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

wixfjord wrote: July 24th, 2021, 4:40 pm in particular people cancelling subscriptions would probably have been the big driver.

No. The advertisers finding the brand toxic is the entire thing. Subs wouldn't actually end up happening and would take much longer. They would not have been a factor. I mean really if Frano being a useless dick was a problem for you would you subscribe to the Indo?

The Lions driving their brand energy behind it was crucial. Quin's wouldnt have that clout. Indo only do their freez peach thing when powerful forces aren't offended. Lions brand trumps Franno's sub Jeremy schtick.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

fourthirtythree wrote: July 24th, 2021, 10:34 pm
wixfjord wrote: July 24th, 2021, 4:40 pm in particular people cancelling subscriptions would probably have been the big driver.

No. The advertisers finding the brand toxic is the entire thing. Subs wouldn't actually end up happening and would take much longer. They would not have been a factor. I mean really if Frano being a useless dick was a problem for you would you subscribe to the Indo?

The Lions driving their brand energy behind it was crucial. Quin's wouldnt have that clout. Indo only do their freez peach thing when powerful forces aren't offended. Lions brand trumps Franno's sub Jeremy schtick.
Indo is moving towards a sub model, and there were lots of subs cancelled yesterday, along with complaints made. So yes it absolutely would've been a factor.

Mediahuis is a smart business, it's not going to stand for some expensive gobshte costing them subscribers when they've spent so much advertising the brand.

Franno being sacked isn't down to 'one thing'. It's a mix of things, including his history, the public response, teams getting involved, players getting involved, subs going down & complaints going up, along with the brand being damaged.

It's not a case of 'Lions make a statement = Franno gets the sack'.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

alanair wrote: July 24th, 2021, 11:06 am Assuredly ... GT will be the 'Official' voice of Leinster rugby ... :shock:
Assuredly Gervais Thornley's link to Leinster rugby schools was only on their tennis courts.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Good riddance to Francis. It's been quite funny reading all the comments. Even the one's who defend him are more along the line's of 'he's not that bad...'
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

He's a tw@t alright.

It'll just be a pretty dull media landscape if there aren't idiots or provocateurs allowed to contribute.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Morf wrote: July 26th, 2021, 3:58 am He's a tw@t alright.

It'll just be a pretty dull media landscape if there aren't idiots or provocateurs allowed to contribute.
You can be either of those without being racist.
Anyone But New Zealand
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

FLIP wrote: July 26th, 2021, 2:07 pm

True. Not defending or excusing racism. Just commenting on the sanitisation of media.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Aird wrote: July 24th, 2021, 2:14 pm As an Ulster supporter I already thought the Irish Times was the official PRO for all to do with D4.
That's Munster you're thinking of
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

:green clap:
Morf wrote: July 27th, 2021, 6:01 pm
FLIP wrote: July 26th, 2021, 2:07 pm

True. Not defending or excusing racism. Just commenting on the sanitisation of media.
On a slightly tangential point, it pains me when I hear some of our greatest commenting in matches and they revert to a professional tone using prepared stock phrases. C’mon I’d rather listen to Jenno, Mal or Jamie talk like they would down the pub and comment on the game like they’re down the pub
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Great point. That's the reason I love Jamie Heaslip as a co-commentator. He normally gives brilliant insight into the play but every ten minutes or so he'll come out with a classic Jamieism off the top of his head or wherever, that is either total nonsense or completely off the wall, that'll crack the Leinster fans up and probably drives the Munster fans mad.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Can we get someone to check Gerry's articles before they go to print? He mentions the Lions' training camps in New Jersey twice today and also the All Blacks beating the Lions in 2001.
Caliphi
Learner

Post by Caliphi »

In yesterday’s Sunday Times Stephen Jones picks his ‘best in the world XV’, as do Stuart Barnes and Peter O’Reilly.
Interestingly, Jones picks 6 Leinster players in his 15, along with Ian Henderson. Five of the Leinster six would be guessable – Sexton, Doris, Furlong, Kelleher and Porter. The sixth is a surprise. Ahead of Dupont – chosen indeed by Barnes and O’Reilly – Jones has chosen no other than Jamison Gibson-Park as the best scrum half in the world in November 2021!
Delighted for JGP, but maybe Jonesy overdid the Brains Bitter on Saturday?