A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by the spoofer »

Mark Robson claimed that a dangerous side entry from Toner caused Coombes injury. Enough of this sh!t.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Jackman saying that Leamy headed back to Munster to be defence coach.
Elsewhere, it seems Munster’s new head coach Graham Rowntree has been proactive in his search for a coaching team and will bring Denis Leamy, the former Munster and Ireland international, home as his defence coach. Leamy served his time with Cashel RFC before joining the Leinster Academy in 2019 and was promoted to coach for contact skills in October following the departure of Hugh Hogan to the Scarlets.

Apart from his coaching expertise, Leamy will bring a deep knowledge of the young talent missing out on the senior academy in Leinster, although as we have seen there is a bunch of homegrown players in Munster with the minerals to succeed at the moment.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 24th, 2022, 11:33 am Jackman saying that Leamy headed back to Munster to be defence coach.
Elsewhere, it seems Munster’s new head coach Graham Rowntree has been proactive in his search for a coaching team and will bring Denis Leamy, the former Munster and Ireland international, home as his defence coach. Leamy served his time with Cashel RFC before joining the Leinster Academy in 2019 and was promoted to coach for contact skills in October following the departure of Hugh Hogan to the Scarlets.

Apart from his coaching expertise, Leamy will bring a deep knowledge of the young talent missing out on the senior academy in Leinster, although as we have seen there is a bunch of homegrown players in Munster with the minerals to succeed at the moment.
Risky but ambitious move if true.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

A Twitter tale in three parts:

https://twitter.com/fans_wpru/status/15 ... 6471763973
@fans_wpru
Feel like im going to hate Leinster as much as I hated the Crusaders
https://twitter.com/AnMailleach/status/ ... 1109348352
@AnMailleach
I hate Leinster so much that if they were playing the Taliban, I’d find a reason to support the Taliban.
https://twitter.com/gortoshay/status/15 ... 1861487617
@gortoshay
Makes sense. Both always looking for funding and quiet enough since the early part of the century.
:lol: :happy clapper:
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote: April 24th, 2022, 8:01 pm A Twitter tale in three parts:

https://twitter.com/fans_wpru/status/15 ... 6471763973
@fans_wpru
Feel like im going to hate Leinster as much as I hated the Crusaders
https://twitter.com/AnMailleach/status/ ... 1109348352
@AnMailleach
I hate Leinster so much that if they were playing the Taliban, I’d find a reason to support the Taliban.
https://twitter.com/gortoshay/status/15 ... 1861487617
@gortoshay
Makes sense. Both always looking for funding and quiet enough since the early part of the century.
:lol: :happy clapper:
Haha... Great compliment to Leinster and all good tongue in cheek
Dont Panic!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

the spoofer wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 9:53 pm Mark Robson claimed that a dangerous side entry from Toner caused Coombes injury. Enough of this sh!t.
Tappe Henning spoke about dodgy clearouts last week and essentially confirmed that the law certain people quoted about Dev putting his weight onto Coombes was not the type of incident covered by the law.

He wasn’t referring to that incident at all but the example he gave was very different.

I’ve seen so many games in the last week where the breakdown was a free for all and really dangerous. I still can’t understand how people equate Dev’s effort to those kind of reckless actions.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 24th, 2022, 11:57 pm
the spoofer wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 9:53 pm Mark Robson claimed that a dangerous side entry from Toner caused Coombes injury. Enough of this sh!t.
Tappe Henning spoke about dodgy clearouts last week and essentially confirmed that the law certain people quoted about Dev putting his weight onto Coombes was not the type of incident covered by the law.

He wasn’t referring to that incident at all but the example he gave was very different.

I’ve seen so many games in the last week where the breakdown was a free for all and really dangerous. I still can’t understand how people equate Dev’s effort to those kind of reckless actions.
Because Coombes and Munster fans enjoying extra weight on their glenohumeral joint.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

They also seem to ignore the fact that Coombes continued playing for a couple of minutes after the clearout, and with his next involvement [clip] ran a hard line directly into contact (Doris and Tracy). The injury is more likely a combination of the two
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Just noticed when looking at Birch's tweet on Soroka; another tweet by Ruadhri OConnor. What can only be described as heart breaking. He and his partners 11 week old baby boy passed away last Friday (30th April). Puts alot of things in perspective.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Joey Carbery's mojo is the new Zebo X-Factor.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Is the42 rugby podcast worth paying for? I enjoyed their podcasts when they were free, despite Birch's inability to properly pronounce words in English, especially the 'th' blend. But once it went beyond a paywall I completely forgot it existed until this morning. I had an 'oh yeh' moment.

Rugby is my favorite sport. It is the only sport I really care about. But it is a sport that involves a lot of subscriptions for different competitions and services. What's special about the42? Generally I find the discussion around rugby to not be worth the expenditure. The sport being live is. But not the discussion. There are only 2 clubs that are ever discussed in Ireland and I don't think the42 will offer anything that OTB's free service will. I'm struggling to find the reason to pay for their analysis of URC games that is essentially free elsewhere.

Does anyone here subscribe and is it worth listening to?
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Is the42 rugby podcast worth paying for? I enjoyed their podcasts when they were free, despite Birch's inability to properly pronounce words in English, especially the 'th' blend. But once it went beyond a paywall I completely forgot it existed until this morning. I had an 'oh yeh' moment.

Rugby is my favorite sport. It is the only sport I really care about. But it is a sport that involves a lot of subscriptions for different competitions and services. What's special about the42? Generally I find the discussion around rugby to not be worth the expenditure. The sport being live is. But not the discussion. There are only 2 clubs that are ever discussed in Ireland and I don't think the42 will offer anything that OTB's free service will. I'm struggling to find the reason to pay for their analysis of URC games that is essentially free elsewhere.

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

suisse wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:44 pm Is the42 rugby podcast worth paying for? I enjoyed their podcasts when they were free, despite Birch's inability to properly pronounce words in English, especially the 'th' blend. But once it went beyond a paywall I completely forgot it existed until this morning. I had an 'oh yeh' moment.

In Murray and Birch they have two of the best, if not the best, at rugby analysis. They don't talk down to the audience and all the provinces - as well as some stuff outside Ireland - get covered properly.

But i still wouldn't pay for it personally. It's not sufficiently better to be worth shelling out for. If it was a video podcast using some advanced analysis software to break down teams and systems, I'd be all over that. But it's chat at the end of the day and why pay for chat?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yep, Murray & Jackman are excellent. Great, fair analysis and often breaking transfer news.

I'm happy to pay for The42 as it's generally the best sporting media body in the country. If you're a wider sports fan the GAA & football podcasts are very good also.

OTB is absolutely gone to the dogs since it started trying to extend to a network. The morning show in particular is awful stuff.

Second Captains is generally good but the amount of rugby coverage is fairly limited outside of 6N and big weekends.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

OTB is v schizophrenic in its rugby coverage. None of the presenters bar Joe have a rashers. None of them. It's embarrassing. Joe however is the best rugby presenter/host on Irish media bar none.

They have lovable but insipid/lowest-common-denomimator "analysts" like Quinny, Fiona Hayes, Mal O'Kelly, Mike McCarthy and the Saffer bloke, but they also have truly excellent people like BOD, Darren Cave, Louise Galvin and ROG. Then you have the Marmite guys like Mattie, Dunne, Woody and GerryT.

I listen a fair bit while i walk the dog, but it's rare enough you feel you're getting any huge insight. Living abroad, it's more a way for me to stay connected.

In an ideal world, only Joe would handle rugby on OTB and he'd only be talking to - for example - BOD, Woody, Cave, Galvin and ROG. But it seems they prefer to spread the jam VERY thinly.
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

Hi Suisse.
The 42.ie pod was on special offer a few months ago (half price) so I thought I'd give it a go.
Same as yourself, I find there are too many Pods and shows etc looking for subscriptions but, I tried the half price offer.
I gotta say, I like it.
Murry and Birch are really good at their analysis and there's normally an episode a week with Eoin Toolin which is excellent too.
I think it's 3 pods a week now for the rugby ( one of which is free to air), normally hosted / moderated by Gavan Casey who is decent too.

OTB I've pretty much given up on. Very Munster-centric I reckon (though I may be saying that wearing blue tinted glasses) they give Leinster ( current standard bearers in irish rugby) little coverage in comparison and if you're an Ulster or Connacht fan, well, forget it. A lot of it seems to be kinda sh1t stirring "journalism" too in my opinion, trying to get a reaction.

The "Molecast" (from this nick of the woods) is one of my favourite pods. Three lads chatting about rugby (possibly having beers :wink: ) having a laugh,
but knowledgeable and fair and cover every province and international. Naturally, being from here, slightly Leinster biased 8) and you can optionally "buy them a coffee" if you like. Well worth it.
Hopefully Dave and the boys will get BluesTalk back up and running too. :D

Just my 2 cents on it.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Fiona Hayes is to listen to on OTB, really struggled to make it through
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

bluemagic wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:15 pm Fiona Hayes is to listen to on OTB, really struggled to make it through
yeah she isnt good.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:17 pm
bluemagic wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:15 pm Fiona Hayes is to listen to on OTB, really struggled to make it through
yeah she isnt good.
She seems very nervous, plus the excessive use of "ye" enrages me. It's twee and archaic
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

She can talk for Ireland in fairness to her! The speed she talks, she has to gulp air into her lungs in-between sentences!
She's passionate anyway.
Quinny is the master of, Talking for 10 minutes and either saying nothing at all, or agreeing with both sides! :lol: :lol:

Have to say though, I like Mattie Williams, I really really do mate! :D