A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote: April 1st, 2022, 4:36 pm It was tongue-in-cheek. But I actually would struggle to name any recent popular Irish music act.
Turn off Radio Nova so :wink:

Fontaines DC, Pillow Queens, Denise Chaila, Murder Capital, Rusangano Family, Fears, Tolu Makaay, Wyvern Lingo, A Lazarus Soul, Lankum, Ye Vagabonds - everything there from post punk to trad to RnB. Irish music has never been healthier
Last edited by Dave Cahill on April 1st, 2022, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 1st, 2022, 4:51 pm
curates_egg wrote: April 1st, 2022, 4:36 pm It was tongue-in-cheek. But I actually would struggle to name any recent popular Irish music act.

Fontaines DC, Pillow Queens, Denise Chailla, Murder Capital, Rusangano Family, Fears, Tolu Makaay, Wyvern Lingo, A Lazarus Soul, Lankum, Ye Vagabonds - everything there from post punk to trad to RnB. Irish music has never been healthier
Been listening to a lot of Soda Blonde lately, brilliant stuff (Serious Kate Bush vibes). Couldn't agree more RE: Irish music scene, it's on a high!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Apart from Fontaines I've not heard of any of them being played outside of Ireland. Compared to Thin Lizzy or *spit* U2's reach, while it may now have great width it doesn't have much reach elsewhere.
Anyone But New Zealand
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 1st, 2022, 3:33 pm Its like an ad for specsavers hearing aids in here.
You still watch ads? How positively quaint...yes, I realise using archaic words like quaint is hardly helping me here!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I liked the Foggy Dew
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Fontaines DC, Pillow Queens, Denise Chailla, Murder Capital, Rusangano Family, Fears, Tolu Makaay, Wyvern Lingo, A Lazarus Soul, Lankum, Ye Vagabonds - everything there from post punk to trad to RnB. Irish music has never been healthier
You forgot Altered Hours - currently my favourite Irish band. (Drowning in tears emoji....)
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

p.s. They wouldn't suit anyway - too much of a Munster tinge.....
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Denise Chailla hmm..Who d ya pronounce her name again?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Keeping it Metal
Hells Bells, and we run out on the 4th chime just as the guitar starts to snarl
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

FLIP wrote: April 1st, 2022, 5:48 pm Apart from Fontaines I've not heard of any of them being played outside of Ireland. Compared to Thin Lizzy or *spit* U2's reach, while it may now have great width it doesn't have much reach elsewhere.
Villagers have plenty of reach beyond these shores. But yes of course, Lizzy and the Unforgivable Four are in a different league.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Peg Leg wrote: April 1st, 2022, 5:38 pm

Been listening to a lot of Soda Blonde lately, brilliant stuff (Serious Kate Bush vibes). Couldn't agree more RE: Irish music scene, it's on a high!
i really liked Little Green Cars - Ephemera was a superb album - but I haven't really listened to a lot of Soda Blonde. Will have to rectify that.
I have Bumbleflex
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

blockhead wrote: April 1st, 2022, 7:19 pm Keeping it Metal
Hells Bells, and we run out on the 4th chime just as the guitar starts to snarl
Ah now, that's Hard Rock, not that I'm pedantic

I'm probably on my own, actually Andrew Porter and Dev may agree with me, but I would love to hear Silvera by Gojira blaring over the PA, metal so heavy you'd think it were a Tongan prop :twisted:

Wolf Totem by the The HU would be nice walk out music too, I mean it seems so obvious Mongolian throat singing with trad and heavy metal fusing. It just screams Leinster
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Fontaines DC, Pillow Queens, Denise Chaila, Murder Capital, Rusangano Family, Fears, Tolu Makaay, Wyvern Lingo, A Lazarus Soul, Lankum, Ye Vagabonds - everything there from post punk to trad to RnB. Irish music has never been healthier
The boys in the better land
Driver's got names to fill two double-barrells
He spits out "Brits out!", only smokes Carroll's

love it......and I'm of sufficient vintage to have enjoyed Lizzy gigs.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

It's the pub mantra of the more you hear the less you drink.
Loud obnoxious music makes people eat and drink more from expensive vendors.

Obviously Slayer - Scrum is the appropriate choice.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

This morning on Off the Ball was as expected onky focused on Munster when it came to the four provinces in action over the weekend. In fairness to Alan Quinlan, he was being dictated what to focus on by the sneering Ger Gilroy.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

SoupyNorman wrote: April 4th, 2022, 1:39 pm This morning on Off the Ball was as expected onky focused on Munster when it came to the four provinces in action over the weekend. In fairness to Alan Quinlan, he was being dictated what to focus on by the sneering Ger Gilroy.
Mother of God, they're playing to a dwindling demographic; Munster couldn't even sell out their home ground last weekend for a match against their bitterest rivals.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

riocard911 wrote: April 4th, 2022, 4:55 pm
SoupyNorman wrote: April 4th, 2022, 1:39 pm This morning on Off the Ball was as expected onky focused on Munster when it came to the four provinces in action over the weekend. In fairness to Alan Quinlan, he was being dictated what to focus on by the sneering Ger Gilroy.
Mother of God, they're playing to a dwindling demographic; Munster couldn't even sell out their home ground last weekend for a match against their bitterest rivals.
TBF I don't think spectator numbers is a fair pop.
I haven't been to a match this season yet and it has nothing to the quality of fare on offer.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

riocard911 wrote:
If fairness, there were both communions AND confirmations in Limerick last weekend.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

OTB's coverage of last weekend's game has been, thus far, deplorable. Quinlan, who I never listen to, up first and then MNR with Thornley and Toland. It was a 39 minute podcast and the opening 26 minutes were about Munster. All 3 people on the call referenced, several times, that Leinster are a better team with better players. They also mentioned Leinster were favorites to win. So is it necessary to spend 70% of the show talking about the beaten team who you expected to be beaten?

But the worst part is it feels like we've heard it all before. Leinster have beaten them 10 from 13 times and the post game chat is always about Munster's identity, Munster's culture, young players, JVG and playing numbers. Wood will be on soon to talk about Munster "not firing a shot." Toland himself even said he's tired of talking about the same stuff over and over again.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

suisse wrote: April 5th, 2022, 6:55 am OTB's coverage of last weekend's game has been, thus far, deplorable. Quinlan, who I never listen to, up first and then MNR with Thornley and Toland. It was a 39 minute podcast and the opening 26 minutes were about Munster. All 3 people on the call referenced, several times, that Leinster are a better team with better players. They also mentioned Leinster were favorites to win. So is it necessary to spend 70% of the show talking about the beaten team who you expected to be beaten?

But the worst part is it feels like we've heard it all before. Leinster have beaten them 10 from 13 times and the post game chat is always about Munster's identity, Munster's culture, young players, JVG and playing numbers. Wood will be on soon to talk about Munster "not firing a shot." Toland himself even said he's tired of talking about the same stuff over and over again.
When has it ever been any different? Munster is the great drama of rugby in this country. People are a lot more interested in Munster than they are in Leinster, that's a fact. RTEs viewing figures show a Muster game pulls in a lot more viewers than a Leinster game. Connacht can be popular too but they have to win a few more games and Ulster are invisible.
They are the great romantic story, full of heroes from down on the farm who fight against huge odds to pull off miracle after miracle.
We are the villans, the city sclickers, D4 hurray henrys from private schools who have won "only" by way of population and academies.
Apart from BOD, has there been another Leinster player/explayer invited to the Late Late Show for example, giggle if you want but thats a barometer of the Irish peoples engagement with you. Has there been a Munster player alive who hasn't been on that show.
POM is a living legend, one the most celebrated players in modern rugby history in this country, he hasn't got a single winners medal with his province, Dev has 12.
I'd rather have the medals