A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Morf »

the spoofer wrote: March 25th, 2022, 8:04 am
Morf wrote: March 25th, 2022, 1:20 am Throw a bit of county gear their way and you can excuse denying them opportunities to play other sports . . . .
Spoken like a man with experience.
Not directly but my dad was manoeuvred out of GAA for playing soccer and not attending mass back in the day.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Fair play to Gervais for giving out bangers in the IT today about all the day trippers goin' and comin' for pints during matches in the Aviva!!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

riocard911 wrote: March 29th, 2022, 6:36 pm Fair play to Gervais for giving out bangers in the IT today about all the day trippers goin' and comin' for pints during matches in the Aviva!!!!
73 times? I don't think so!

There are issues around the international matches, but picking figures out of his arse isn't going to help.

To be honest do many people really go to international matches to watch the rugby anymore? Some might, but most are there to consume a sports entertainment experience. And thats fine by me, hit those cash pinatas with big sticks until they burst - more money for the game here
I have Bumbleflex
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 29th, 2022, 6:58 pm
riocard911 wrote: March 29th, 2022, 6:36 pm Fair play to Gervais for giving out bangers in the IT today about all the day trippers goin' and comin' for pints during matches in the Aviva!!!!
73 times? I don't think so!

There are issues around the international matches, but picking figures out of his arse isn't going to help.

To be honest do many people really go to international matches to watch the rugby anymore? Some might, but most are there to consume a sports entertainment experience. And thats fine by me, hit those cash pinatas with big sticks until they burst - more money for the game here
Indeed - just not credible. Can be a bit of a pain (and I've had a counter attack or two myself) but if it lubricates the game as well....!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

One issue I have with Aviva is the pricing tiers. If you look at the Leinster game there are 5 pricing tiers.

But there are 7 in the RDS for season tickets. It should be the other way around.

For Ireland games you take what you're given, where they're available. The quality of your seats depends on the quality of your connections. That was still the way to an extent in old Lansdowne Road but more so now.

Post Covid it's mostly just a matter of getting people back to going to games. Build later, people need practise.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

how they expect to fill the stadium against Connacht and Munster in the coming weeks i dont know.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

If people getting up and down is such a pain in the arse, we should take a leaf from Japan's hosting of the RWC and have staff walking up and down the aisles selling tins/pints. Very few times did I have to get up at the RWC.

This isn't an issue only for Ireland. Welsh fans complain about it at Wales matches (not really an issue at regions as nobody goes) and at the Bath away match I was up and down like a yo-yo.
Anyone But New Zealand
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

While I agree with a lot of what he is saying, that article read like the demented ranting of someone in solitary for too long. It was all over the place and difficult to read.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

joooooe wrote: March 30th, 2022, 9:35 am
While I agree with a lot of what he is saying, that article read like the demented ranting of someone in solitary for too long. It was all over the place and difficult to read.
We've had two years of empty fuc.ing stadia and now have people moaning about having to stand a couple of times during a game.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ban the booze eh?
Arguably the stupidest article he has ever written, and that's saying something.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

He's on OTB too, bangs of Old Man Shouts At Cloud
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

RoboProp wrote: March 31st, 2022, 3:38 pm
He's on OTB too, bangs of Old Man Shouts At Cloud
One for the Meldrews amongst us... :wink:
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Thought some of the other points raised by Thornley were spot on. The music selection at the RDS and Aviva is dreadful. Generic stadium noise, these games could be played anywhere in the world. But Ireland has a well established and well known music industry. Being an Irish person living abroad for over a decade, it is the music that a lot of people break the ice with in conversation. Our traditional music is as well received as U2 and Thin Lizzy etc. How many other countries can say the same thing? Do people approach an English person and talk about their epic traditional music? You wouldn't believe how many people from all across the globe know of, and adore, Luke Kelly. There's nothing jungle like about the RDS. Leinster need a more local walk out song.

Thornley mentioned he hates the countdown. I agree. But he seems to think the PA saying the first name and fans saying the surname is better. It is also a bit weak. Not in favor of either. I really think a song is needed after the anthems and before the kickoff at Ireland games. The soccer lads belting out Put em Under Pressure is class. Scotland and Wales do it in rugby. And as for the Field's of Athenry? It was perfect for Spain in 2012 as Ireland got whipped. And v NZ in Yokohama. Or Argentina in 2007. But win, lose or draw, the dreary tones of FoA reverberating around the Aviva. Depressing.

I also think the beer situation needs to change. I've spent a good bit of time in the US recently and MLB and MLB grounds will often strike deals with local breweries to sell their products in stadium. A soccer stadium or ballpark in Cincinnati selling local beers from Cincinnati. Irish sporting arenas are just the same Guinness, Heinken, Carlsberg etc. It would be great to have a strong but very local Dublin/Leinster flavour at Leinster games and alcohol from across the country at Ireland games. Give it a more Irish feel.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

suisse wrote: April 1st, 2022, 2:27 pm Thought some of the other points raised by Thornley were spot on. The music selection at the RDS and Aviva is dreadful. Generic stadium noise, these games could be played anywhere in the world. But Ireland has a well established and well known music industry. Being an Irish person living abroad for over a decade, it is the music that a lot of people break the ice with in conversation. Our traditional music is as well received as U2 and Thin Lizzy etc. How many other countries can say the same thing? Do people approach an English person and talk about their epic traditional music? You wouldn't believe how many people from all across the globe know of, and adore, Luke Kelly. There's nothing jungle like about the RDS. Leinster need a more local walk out song.

Thornley mentioned he hates the countdown. I agree. But he seems to think the PA saying the first name and fans saying the surname is better. It is also a bit weak. Not in favor of either. I really think a song is needed after the anthems and before the kickoff at Ireland games. The soccer lads belting out Put em Under Pressure is class. Scotland and Wales do it in rugby. And as for the Field's of Athenry? It was perfect for Spain in 2012 as Ireland got whipped. And v NZ in Yokohama. Or Argentina in 2007. But win, lose or draw, the dreary tones of FoA reverberating around the Aviva. Depressing.

I also think the beer situation needs to change. I've spent a good bit of time in the US recently and MLB and MLB grounds will often strike deals with local breweries to sell their products in stadium. A soccer stadium or ballpark in Cincinnati selling local beers from Cincinnati. Irish sporting arenas are just the same Guinness, Heinken, Carlsberg etc. It would be great to have a strong but very local Dublin/Leinster flavour at Leinster games and alcohol from across the country at Ireland games. Give it a more Irish feel.
I loved when we used The Boys Are Back In Town, Irish band, the song set the mood, probably over use at this stage though...unlike Enter Sandman :roll: and I say that as someone who loves Metallica.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

RoboProp wrote: April 1st, 2022, 2:32 pm
suisse wrote: April 1st, 2022, 2:27 pm Thought some of the other points raised by Thornley were spot on. The music selection at the RDS and Aviva is dreadful. Generic stadium noise, these games could be played anywhere in the world. But Ireland has a well established and well known music industry. Being an Irish person living abroad for over a decade, it is the music that a lot of people break the ice with in conversation. Our traditional music is as well received as U2 and Thin Lizzy etc. How many other countries can say the same thing? Do people approach an English person and talk about their epic traditional music? You wouldn't believe how many people from all across the globe know of, and adore, Luke Kelly. There's nothing jungle like about the RDS. Leinster need a more local walk out song.

I loved when we used The Boys Are Back In Town, Irish band, the song set the mood, probably over use at this stage though...unlike Enter Sandman :roll: and I say that as someone who loves Metallica.
"The Boys Are Back In Town" is 1. quintessentially Dub/Leinster and 2. a world famous rock anthem. For the life of me, I can't understand why we don't use it for every home match!!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Its like an ad for specsavers hearing aids in here.
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 1st, 2022, 3:33 pm Its like an ad for specsavers hearing aids in here.
More of a Bewitched fan, then?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Even the pop music references are from the last millennium
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

It was tongue-in-cheek. But I actually would struggle to name any recent popular Irish music act.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Welcome to the Jungle is geriatric, and was retro when it was released. At least boys are back in town was contemporary in conception and execution even if it's a few years older.

Also: lions don't live in jungles, they live on the veldt.

Mind you seeing as the Lion Sleeps Tonight is a genuine pan African pop sensation from the middle of the last century and makes that mistake, who am I to criticise?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_Sleeps_Tonight

Tigers live in jungles (sometimes) though. Not in Africa mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLdk2C25Z14