A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by fourthirtythree »

He's plenty happy to stick the boot in at Irish coaching so he must have no ambitions there.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

fourthirtythree wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:13 pm He's plenty happy to stick the boot in at Irish coaching so he must have no ambitions there.
I reckon he has very little desire to coach at international level for the foreseeable future. He has neither won everything going or failed stylishly - the two main pathways to being an international head coach
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:11 pm
hugonaut wrote: April 1st, 2021, 1:08 pm
They didn't discuss the final because their panelist used to play for the losing team? That's all very delicate.
Theres a lot more to it than that I reckon. Firstly, he coaches at the same level as JVG, so he'd be sympathetic by association. Secondly, because he coaches at that same level, then it's possible that LaR will come up against Munster in the not too distant future - so why make yourself a hostage to fortune. Thirdly, his name is constantly bandied about in association with the Munster , so anything he says will be seen through the lens of 'the next munster coach' - even if he has no particular interest in it. And if he is interested in it, a wise man gets someone else to do his backstabbing for him - he'll have picked that up from EOS.
Yeah, I think the big reason is that La Rochelle might come up against Munster, and he doesn't want to say negative things and motivate possible future opponents.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

All this talk of a bloodbath vs Toulouse is a bit fanciful. There’s a reason no-one is calling for JP Ferreira’s head after the game at the weekend — Munster’s defence is top class. Are Clermont the only team they’ve shipped a try bonus point to?
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I think its fairly understandable O'Gara not talking directly about Munster. He did, in all fairness, have a game with his own team at the exact same time on Saturday first of all, and is then preparing them for a European Cup game. I would have been surprised if he had managed to watch it first of all.

Secondly, from what we've seen from ROG since he started on OTB, he's extremely clever and careful about what he says about anybody or anything. He clearly has long term aspirations with Munster and doesn't want to upset the apple cart down there too much. If he had come out slating them it would have been very much against his persona.

Thirdly, if and when ROG does take over at Munster, it'll be excellent for Irish rugby. We ( Ireland ) need as strong a Munster as possible and at the moment we just don't have that. Ulster would have a strong argument of being the 2nd best on the island at the moment.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

CBC Monkstown and Greystones J3s' Hugh Cahill, in the week he said he would rather have his eyes gouged out than wear a Leinster Jersey cos apparently he is neutral, states he happy to get his boots and run out for Munster.
Last edited by SoupyNorman on April 3rd, 2021, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

SoupyNorman wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 5:01 pm CBS Monkstown and Greystones J3s' Hugh Cahill, in the week he said he would rather have his eyes gouged out than wear a Leinster Jersey cos apparently he is neutral, states he happy to get his boots and run out for Munster.
CBC Monkstown
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

cormac wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 5:02 pm
SoupyNorman wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 5:01 pm CBS Monkstown and Greystones J3s' Hugh Cahill, in the week he said he would rather have his eyes gouged out than wear a Leinster Jersey cos apparently he is neutral, states he happy to get his boots and run out for Munster.
CBC Monkstown
Must feel he has to distance himself from "D4" cos he works in Montrose. What a plank....
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

It's Monday lunchtime, two days since the Leinster victory over Exeter in Exeter and still no appearance on the Grauniad website of the usual article by Robert Kitson or Paul Rees about "What we learnt about European club rugby this weekend"....
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

From the Gerry Thornley, Irish Times (or G-TIT),
"His only miss was after regaining the lead with a penalty was when failing to convert Larmour’s second finish, an even better one, before two more three-pointers reaffirmed Leinster’s increasing grip on the tie.

Byrne’s only miss was, after regaining the lead with a penalty, failing to convert Larmour’s second finish, an even better one."
I'm glad he copped that the first sentence was a bit of a head scratcher and shared his second effort.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Peg Leg wrote: April 12th, 2021, 12:22 pm From the Gerry Thornley, Irish Times (or G-TIT),
"His only miss was after regaining the lead with a penalty was when failing to convert Larmour’s second finish, an even better one, before two more three-pointers reaffirmed Leinster’s increasing grip on the tie.

Byrne’s only miss was, after regaining the lead with a penalty, failing to convert Larmour’s second finish, an even better one."
I'm glad he copped that the first sentence was a bit of a head scratcher and shared his second effort.
Quickly followed by
Van der Flier led the defensive effort with 22 missed tackles
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
SaS
Bookworm

Post by SaS »

riocard911 wrote: April 12th, 2021, 11:08 am It's Monday lunchtime, two days since the Leinster victory over Exeter in Exeter and still no appearance on the Grauniad website of the usual article by Robert Kitson or Paul Rees about "What we learnt about European club rugby this weekend"....
Think Paul has retired.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

On a side note.

Eir Sport what a shambles of an organization. Watched 4 nights of The Masters Coverage and every ad break the advertised their own broadband. I am watching it on my Eir Broadband.

Surely they could have made a few quid - even a small amount - with ads for anyone else. I was thinking late night golf perfect time for one of the pizza delivery crowds to get some exposure.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

cormac wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 5:02 pm
CBC Monkstown
Only time I sparked someone in a schools game was against Monkstown, in my head I like to think maybe it was Hugh
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

It's Monday evening, 20.00, and it would appear, that, judging by the Guardian website, there was nothing its journos "learnt from European rugby this weekend", or if there was, the followers of the Incredible Power of Prem are keeping it to themselves..... Pure Schadenfreude!!!!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

SaS wrote: April 12th, 2021, 7:01 pm
riocard911 wrote: April 12th, 2021, 11:08 am It's Monday lunchtime, two days since the Leinster victory over Exeter in Exeter and still no appearance on the Grauniad website of the usual article by Robert Kitson or Paul Rees about "What we learnt about European club rugby this weekend"....
Think Paul has retired.
Yes, he signed off last week. Peter O'Reilly said he was a good old school rugby journalist and his last article was a nice trip down memory lane as a Welsh rugby fan ... but I didn't enjoy his writing at all and barely read it for the last five or six years.

He really seemed to be in the pocket of the Premiership and in particular their cabal of Tory owners and that gurning frontman McCafferty. I felt he had an unjournalistic bias in all his writing about the ERC/EPCR European schism a number of years ago, and it was just him getting briefed by one side and putting their press releases out as journalism. And they were of course a bunch of spoofers cut from the same cloth of Boris Johnson – couldn't run a bath, never mind a tournament.

I wish him well in his retirement, because it will be difficult for the Grauniad to replace him with a more miserable writer.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Yeah, my distaste for his writing was such that I didn't finish his goodbye article.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Gerry says it wasn't even that good of a win: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4535529
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 12th, 2021, 10:02 pm Gerry says it wasn't even that good of a win: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4535529
Gervaise should go back to reporting tennis... assuredly,
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 12th, 2021, 10:02 pm Gerry says it wasn't even that good of a win: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4535529
He’s a tosspot