Leinster v Cardiff

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Leinster v Cardiff

Post by johng »

OK. I had a look at the minutes played.

Based on the players who were at the World Cup being available for all 160 Minutes of both HC games

Cullen
Kearney
McFadden
Are out of this one

Sexton has 20 minutes left.

D'Arcy has a half.

Heaslip has an hour.

Ross has 70 Minutes.

The rest are all sub 240 mins.

So I think Ross will start. Heasilip could well be on the bench depending on how fit Sob is.

Luke has played the full 80 in the last 8 games, and might take a break. Having both him and Ferg out limits our backs options big time. In fact unless Conway is fit we will possibly have to bring in someone like Daren Hudson on the bench

Van Der Merwe
Strauss
Ross
Toner
Browne
Ruddock
Jennings
Avua'a

Reddan
Madigan
Carr
O'Malley
Macken
D Kearney
Nacewa

Cronin
Healy
White/Hagan
Sykes/McLaughlin
O'Brien/Heaslip
Boss
Reid
Conway/Hudson

This resting players yoke sucks. We will be hard pressed in the next batch of 3 x pro12 games too. All the WC players will only be able to play 1 of them.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Cardiff

Post by Danthefan »

Another Friday night game that I probably won't be able to attend. Season ticket was a bit of a waste of money this year :(
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Danthefan wrote:Another Friday night game that I probably won't be able to attend. Season ticket was a bit of a waste of money this year :(
Gets worse after Christmas. With 3 out of 5 of our home games scheduled, 2 Fridays and a Thursday. :(
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

johng wrote:
Danthefan wrote:Another Friday night game that I probably won't be able to attend. Season ticket was a bit of a waste of money this year :(
Gets worse after Christmas. With 3 out of 5 of our home games scheduled, 2 Fridays and a Thursday. :(
A Thursday? What in the name of jebus?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Thu 9 Feb 19:05 RDP12 Leinster Rugby v Benetton Treviso
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Oh dear lord.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I think that Cardiff have 8 players in the Welsh squad for the Australia game, so the whole player availability issue kind of evens out for this game.

Would be good if Conway was fit for this game, this season hasn't really got started for him yet.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

1. Van Der Merwe
2. Strauss
3. Ross
4. Browne
5. Toner
6. O'Brien
7. Jennings
8. Heaslip

9. Boss
10. Madigan
11. Fitzgerald
12. D'Arcy
13. O'Malley
14. Carr
15. Nacewa

16. Cronin 17. McGrath 18. White 19. McLoughlin 20. Ruddock 21. Reddan 22. Sexton 23. Macken
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

VDM Strauss White
Cullen Toner
Ruddock Auva'a Jennings
Reddan Madigan
D'Arcy O'Malley
Carr McFadden Isa

There's a flexibility built into the player management program. Working on a partnership between D'Arcy and O'Malley will be a higher priority than keeping D'Arcy fresh, for the moment and up to a point. They seem to like McFadden as a backup winger too.

Reddan and Cullen aren't first choice for Ireland and aren't centrally contracted. Decco won't care about them playing. I'd start White, just 'cos.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

johng wrote: Cullen
McFadden
Are out of this one

Sexton has 20 minutes left.
Surely common sense has to prevail to some extent and the IRFU international welfare programme is flexible. Does is apply to all internationals or just centrally contracted players? Since mid-August, Cullen and McFadden have 5 games played. 400 minutes in what is approaching 4 months. Sexton only has about 480 minutes in a similar time frame. It's a silly situation. The fact is, neither Cullen nor McFadden are likely to be involved in a match day squad come the 6N. I can understand the approach with the likes of Heaslip, SOB and Healy but a lot of the lads are just about ticking over in terms of games and match sharpness. I would have a similar argument for Reddan who must be fresh given the lack of pitch time he has seen.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

You could well be right. I am just going by the letter of the law, for a worst case scenario.

TBH I am less concerned for this game as Cardiff will be missing all their Welsh players. The 3 games over Christmas would worry me more.

If we use them all for Ulster or Connacht, we could end up having to do a Cheika and send the Academy over to Cardiff for the return leg.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Huge game this one though, really need the win to put distance between ourselves and the Bloos. They've a game in hand remember, and could be our major threat in the league.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:Thu 9 Feb 19:05 RDP12 Leinster Rugby v Benetton Treviso
Great way to grwo the league and attendances by allowing smaller clubs to arrange for fans to travel over...oh wait Thursday you say
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I simply don't understand the logic of how the Pro12 schedules games during the 6N. In the 2012 6N Ireland have home games against Wales (5th Feb), Italy (25th Feb) and Scotland (10th March). During this period Leinster play games against Welsh, Scottish and Italian opposition, yet none of the games are lined up to coincide with the relevant 6N game.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

It might be to keep costs down, hotels flights etc would be more on those weekends. More likely to be a lack of joined up thinking though!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I fully expect McFadden to start at inside centre with Darce rested for the week.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

cormac wrote:I simply don't understand the logic of how the Pro12 schedules games during the 6N. In the 2012 6N Ireland have home games against Wales (5th Feb), Italy (25th Feb) and Scotland (10th March). During this period Leinster play games against Welsh, Scottish and Italian opposition, yet none of the games are lined up to coincide with the relevant 6N game.
It can't be that straightforward to accommodate everyone in a 22 game series.....

Seeing as I am travelling to Paris for the France 6N game (on Friday) I for one am pleased the Leinster game is on the Thursday.

That said Thursday has to be a rubbish day for attracting the '12 County Army'. Can't see many fans coming from beyond metropolitan Dublin (or even some from within it) for Thursday evening kick offs.
Four Stars
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Lar wrote:
cormac wrote:I simply don't understand the logic of how the Pro12 schedules games during the 6N. In the 2012 6N Ireland have home games against Wales (5th Feb), Italy (25th Feb) and Scotland (10th March). During this period Leinster play games against Welsh, Scottish and Italian opposition, yet none of the games are lined up to coincide with the relevant 6N game.
It can't be that straightforward to accommodate everyone in a 22 game series.....

Seeing as I am travelling to Paris for the France 6N game (on Friday) I for one am pleased the Leinster game is on the Thursday.

That said Thursday has to be a rubbish day for attracting the '12 County Army'. Can't see many fans coming from beyond metropolitan Dublin (or even some from within it) for Thursday evening kick offs.
It's never going to suit everyone but there appears to be no effort made which is my gripe. Even trying it for one game would be a start.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

It's a shame there isn't mmore of a tie in with 6nations games as you'd get pretty good attendances from Scots, Welsh and Italian's travelling support. Heaven help us getting a few international Scots supporters along to an Edinburgh or Glasgow game might actually help their own teams developing more of a support base.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I'd say there's a TV element. RTE are covering that game but wouldn't have a whole lot of interest in showing even more rugby if they're already showing 3 6N games.

There may also be some advantages in terms of player availability, but I don't seem them.